Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again

+15
Ass Dan
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
I.B. Fine
Death Roe
Rocinante
NigelUno
Nordic
Blanch32
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
duffy munn
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 Empty Re: Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again

Post by The Pantry Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Giant Moose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This is why people do not post here.
I thought it was because I mentioned Duke and UNC too much. confused
You deserve both the pet troll tag and to have your pseudo Spartan avatar exchanged for one of coach rat face
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 Empty Re: Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again

Post by Ass Dan Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:39 pm

Klavnis turnbuckel had a hell of an OT period in that game. That's the only game I remember him from to be honest.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:54 am

duffy munn wrote:Hey Moose, I know how hard it is for you to break character. A repetitive schtick is an effective schtick.

I know Izzo only has one title and has a bad record v Duke/UNC. Thanks for occasionally pointing it out.

But did you watch the video OTPT posted ? Damn dude, it's incredible what MSU has accomplished under Izzo. If you can't enjoy and appreciate it after watching that video,.......I don't know man.
I agree. I'm glad Izzo could match what Jud did. Both are HoFers, and we are lucky to have them.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:26 am

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Hey Moose, I know how hard it is for you to break character. A repetitive schtick is an effective schtick.

I know Izzo only has one title and has a bad record v Duke/UNC. Thanks for occasionally pointing it out.

But did you watch the video OTPT posted ? Damn dude, it's incredible what MSU has accomplished under Izzo. If you can't enjoy and appreciate it after watching that video,.......I don't know man.
I agree. I'm glad Izzo could match what Jud did. Both are HoFers, and we are lucky to have them.

Even Jud will tell you the best thing he ever did for MSU was make sure Izzo got the job.

The only criteria you fairly can use to compare the two is National Titles.

In 19 years at MSU Jud finished below 500 6 times. Izzo never did and likely never will.

In 19 years Jud missed the NCAA tourney 9 times. Izzo once.

Jud made the elite eight in 1978 and won it all in 79. He never made it past the sweet sixteen the following 16 seasons. Do I need to list Izzo's tourney resume for you ?

I love Jud but comparing him to Izzo simply because each one a national title is dumb. ( not surprising and I think it's a vital part of your schtick )

If anything, looking at Jud's entire career makes a case that MSU had very little basketball history until Tom Izzo came along.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 am

duffy munn wrote:If anything, looking at Jud's entire career makes a case that MSU had very little basketball history until Tom Izzo came along.
A school with a national title and one of the top 3 hoops players (personally I think Earvin is #1 all-time) to ever play the game had little basketball history? Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:44 am

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:If anything, looking at Jud's entire career makes a case that MSU had very little basketball history until Tom Izzo came along.
A school with a national title and one of the top 3 hoops players (personally I think Earvin is #1 all-time) to ever play the game had little basketball history? Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600

About the same as Indiana State.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:45 am

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Nope, not at all. Indiana State never won a title. I know you like to degrade Jud's accomplishments every chance you get, though.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 am

Giant Moose wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Saying things like this doesn't help tGreenway. wanna talk about your favorite ncaa tourney game you've been to or how exciting this time of the year is?
My favorite moment was when our 4-seed women's hoops team didn't get to play at home like they had earned.

The 20 point blow out loss in the FF last year to Duke and the 20 point blow out loss to North Carolina in 2009 were my favorite.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 am

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Nope, not at all. Indiana State never won a title. I know you like to degrade Jud's accomplishments every chance you get, though.

From 1958 until 1978 MSU made the NCAA tournament exactly one time. Once. After winning it all in 79 it was six years before we got back to the tournament.

I'm not degrading Jud at all. I'm giving you facts and records. Jud did very good things at MSU but is not in the same universe as Izzo.

MSU was a national brand for 2 seasons with Magic. Appeared on the map a few other times with Skiles, Respert and the 1990 team. Other than that, we were very mediocre for the better part of 40 years.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 am

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

From 1958 until 1978 MSU made the NCAA tournament exactly one time. Once. After winning it all in 79 it was six years before we got back to the tournament.

I'm not degrading Jud at all. I'm giving you facts and records. Jud did very good things at MSU but is not in the same universe as Izzo.

MSU was a national brand for 2 seasons with Magic. Appeared on the map a few other times with Skiles, Respert and the 1990 team. Other than that, we were very mediocre for the better part of 40 years.
Cool, arbitrary cutoff point to exclude 1957. I get it. You don't value national titles and instead like being in the top 4. If that's the way you want to look at things, great. Some of us want to win national championships.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:03 am

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Cool, arbitrary cutoff point to exclude 1957. I get it. You don't value national titles and instead like being in the top 4. If that's the way you want to look at things, great. Some of us want to win national championships.

Is it your position that we wodl be invited into the "tournament of champions" or be as nationally renowned for the 18 years from 1980-1998? Cause that's almost two decades. I love what Jud did. Respect the hell out of him, but to say we were a national brand because of the two years of Magic would be like saying Indian State is a national brand because of the three years of Larry Bird.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:05 am

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Is it your position that we wodl be invited into the "tournament of champions" or be as nationally renowned for the 18 years from 1980-1998? Cause that's almost two decades. I love what Jud did. Respect the hell out of him, but to say we were a national brand because of the two years of Magic would be like saying Indian State is a national brand because of the three years of Larry Bird.
It wouldn't, though. ISU didn't win a national title. I don't know why you guys don't get how important national championships are. It's so weird. Winning MSU's first hoops title was so significant. I don't get why it is downplayed and compared to ISU. It's so strange.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 am

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Did we win it all in 57 ?? Why do you embrace that year ??

The point is ( which you will never get) that MSU basketball was mediocre for a long, long time. Izzo has accomplished more in 20 years than the program had it's first in 95 years. I know it's not good enough for you.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am

In 1979, we had the same number of NCAA titles as Kansas and North Carolina. And more than Duke and UConn.

But we were a mediocre program according to DWags and duffy. Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am

dude, DWags has confirmed that you have, indeed, made tSwill great again..

Hey, this is great..

congratulations! Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 am

Giant Moose wrote:
DWags wrote:

It wouldn't, though. ISU didn't win a national title. I don't know why you guys don't get how important national championships are. It's so weird. Winning MSU's first hoops title was so significant. I don't get why it is downplayed and compared to ISU. It's so strange.

Nobody is downplaying the national title in 79. And of course will all want more national titles. You are the one saying Jud is equal to Izzo based on one season. In reality, it's not even close.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:dude, DWags has confirmed that you have, indeed, made tSwill great again..

Hey, this is great..

congratulations! Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 969504605
Thanks, Bob. I'm just glad he appreciates me. He seems to get a little rowdy at games, though. I'll make sure I always wear my green, white, bronze and neon if I see him.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 am

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:dude, DWags has confirmed that you have, indeed, made tSwill great again..

Hey, this is great..

Thanks, Bob. I'm just glad he appreciates me. He seems to get a little rowdy at games, though. I'll make sure I always wear my green, white, bronze and neon if I see him.
Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 am

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Nobody is downplaying the national title in 79. And of course will all want more national titles. You are the one saying Jud is equal to Izzo based on one season. In reality, it's not even close.

I think Jud having to battle Michigan cheating and Bobby Knight in his own conference was harder, so yeah, I do give Jud a lot of credit. Izzo and Jud are both HoFers with a title. Top 100 guys. We are lucky to have them both as part of our program.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 am

Giant Moose wrote:In 1979, we had the same number of NCAA titles as Kansas and North Carolina. And more than Duke and UConn.

But we were a mediocre program according to DWags and duffy. Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600

And also the same as:

Oregon
Wisconsin
Stanford
Wyoming
Utah
Holy Cross
CCNY
LaSalle
California
Ohio State
Loyola Chicago
Texas Western
NC State
Marquette

Last edited by NigelUno on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 am

Giant Moose wrote:In 1979, we had the same number of NCAA titles as Kansas and North Carolina. And more than Duke and UConn.

Love how you can ignore 7 decades of basketball history at MSU. And the two decades after 1979.

Except for 3 seasons 57,78,79 MSU was indeed a mediocre program. Since 1998, we've been elite.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:18 am

Giant Moose wrote:

Hey, this is great..

I was referring to the OP but you have played a very integral role in our newfound greatness.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:18 am

NigelUno wrote:

And also the same as:

Oregon
Wisconsin
Stanford
Wyoming
Utah
Holy Cross
CCNY
LaSalle
California
Ohio State
Texas Western
NC State
Marquette

You forgot Loyola of Chicago. All on equal footing with Carolina, Duke and UConn.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

And also the same as:

Oregon
Wisconsin
Stanford
Wyoming
Utah
Holy Cross
CCNY
LaSalle
California
Ohio State
Texas Western
NC State
Marquette

You forgot Loyola of Chicago. All on equal footing with Carolina, Duke and UConn.

Fixed. Don't want to leave out any program with a great history of success. My apologies to any Loyola Chicago fans.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
I was referring to the OP but you have played a very integral role in our newfound greatness.

Sorry, I just am so happy at this moment. I am going to add it to my message board resume.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 am

Titles don't matter. All that matters is losing in the Final Four. Jud sucks. Izzo is God. Give me two hours and I'll make Swill Great Again - Page 2 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:00 am

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Fixed. Don't want to leave out any program with a great history of success. My apologies to any Loyola Chicago fans.

Go Ramblers !! Go Jesuits !! They took down Cinci and the Big O to win it all in 1963. The nation took notice and dubbed them a blue blood.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:14 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Go Ramblers !! Go Jesuits !! They took down Cinci and the Big O to win it all in 1963. The nation took notice and dubbed them a blue blood.
Titles only matter if Izzo wins them I guess.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:24 am

Prior to 1979, MSU had been to 1 Final Four.
UNC had been to 7.
Kansas had been to 6.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 am

NigelUno wrote:

UNC had been to 7.
Kansas had been to 6.

Finishing in the top 4 is all that matters.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 am

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

UNC had been to 7.
Kansas had been to 6.

Are you trying to say that Kansas and UNC did not have better programs than MSU?

Did teams with 2 National Championships at that time have better programs than UNC and Kansas?  Like San Francisco, Oklahoma A&M, and Cincy?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 am

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Are you trying to say that Kansas and UNC did not have better programs than MSU?

Did teams with 2 National Championships at that time have better programs than UNC and Kansas?  Like San Francisco, Oklahoma A&M, and Cincy?
To me, yes. But I'm sure there will be some metric of teams losing titles that is more impressive to you and duffy.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:58 am

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

To me, yes. But I'm sure there will be some metric of teams losing titles that is more impressive to you and duffy.

How do you differentiate between schools that all have 2 titles?

MSU, Florida, NC State, Cincy, San Fran, OK A&M

Which program is better?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 am

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Which program is better?
I value titles more after the tourney started seeding. In case of a tie, I look at whether a program has won titles with multiple coaches or if it was just one era they were successful in. Then come the lesser things that include Final Fours, conference success, overall record, and tournament appearances.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:10 am

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Which program is better?  
I value titles more after the tourney started seeding. In case of a tie, I look at whether a program has won titles with multiple coaches or if it was just one era they were successful in. Then come the lesser things that include Final Fours, conference success, overall record, and tournament appearances.

And using that criteria, how would you evaluate Jud and Izzo?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:15 am

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

They are both top 100 coaches and HoFers.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Maybe you didn't fully understand the question (or are just embarrassed that you walked right into my trap with your eyes wide fucking open). Using the criteria that you established, which coach is better? Jud or Izzo?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:23 am

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Maybe you didn't fully understand the question (or are just embarrassed that you walked right into my trap with your eyes wide fucking open). Using the criteria that you established, which coach is better? Jud or Izzo?

I pick Jud. More honorable. Never had to sit out a game for his program violating rules.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:28 am

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I pick Jud. More honorable. Never had to sit out a game for his program violating rules.

Using the criteria that you established, which coach is better? Jud or Izzo?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:32 am

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
Using the criteria that you established, which coach is better? Jud or Izzo?

Jud. Izzo cheated and got suspended. And Sherman claims that drug tests were fudged under Izzo. It's like how I would ding Ohio State, Memphis, or Michigan if I was comparing programs tied with them.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next