Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President

3 posters

Go down

Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President Empty Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-15, 13:46

It's not like we have a vocal group in America that likes to point to Europe and say...."See. They do it and everyone is so happy there!" But I'd love to hear Cym Jim's rationale.

Merkel allows prosecution of German comedian who mocked Turkish president

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has cleared the way for the prosecution of German comedian Jan Böhmermann, whose poem mocking Turkey's president has become the centerpiece of a clash between Germany's free-speech traditions and the government's efforts to safeguard its important relations with Turkey.

In a news conference Friday, Merkel emphasized that it will now be up to German courts to decide whether Böhmermann is guilty of insulting Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. But critics — including members of her own government — have described it as a betrayal of values protecting open expression.

"In a country under the rule of law, it is not up to the government to decide," Merkel said. "Prosecutors and courts should weight personal rights against the freedom of press and art."
]

Although Böhmermann could face several years in jail if convicted, lawyers familiar with similar cases expect that the comedian would have to pay a fine, if at all.

The stakes are potentially higher for Merkel.

Criticism of her reaction to the incident had mounted ahead of the announcement. Opponents have said the chancellor made a glaring misstep earlier by calling the poem "deliberately offending" — a comment interpreted by some as support for Erdogan, who has been accused of cracking down on press freedom in Turkey.

Not allowing the charges to proceed could have jeopardized a refugee deal with Turkey, which was recently negotiated. Turkish officials had publicly pressured Merkel to allow the charges. Earlier this week, Turkey's deputy prime minister, Numan Kurtulmus, said that the poem was a slap against all Turks.

"That is why the Republic of Turkey demands that this impertinent man is immediately punished for insulting a president, within the scope of German law," Kurtulmus said. He went on to call the poem a "serious crime against humanity" that had "crossed all lines of indecency."

In her statement Friday, Merkel tried to appease critics by announcing that she would seek to repeal the controversial German law against insulting heads of state.

Merkel was forced to decide on the matter after the Turkish president had officially filed charges against Böhmermann earlier this week. The mock poem in question aired during a segment of ZDF Television's Neo Magazin Royale show last week. Some of the lines included accusations of bestiality and other unsavory things.

Merkel's decision followed clashes within her own government.

Germany's Social Democrats, the chancellor's coalition partners, wanted to prevent a court trial. One of the party's leading politicians, Thomas Oppermann, said prosecution for satire "does not fit into a modern democracy."

Another dissenter, Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, called free expression "among the most important values protected by our constitution.”

Udo Vetter, a defense lawyer and blogger, commented that Merkel's decision sends the wrong message. “It forces Germany's legal authorities to act on behalf of Mr. Erdogan,” Vetter argued. But an internal report commissioned by the foreign ministry concluded that Böhmermann was most likely guilty of a criminal offense, according to Berlin's Tagesspiegel newspaper.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President Empty Re: Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-15, 14:08

The law is on the books. I don't think she has a choice.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President Empty Re: Free Speech Attack: Merkel To Allow Prosecution Of Comic For Mocking Turkish President

Post by Turtleneck 2016-04-15, 14:51

Cym Jim is from the UK. The UK is not Germany. Different country, bro.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-15, 15:06

Turtleneck wrote:Cym Jim is from the UK. The UK is not Germany. Different country, bro.

I'm aware, dawg. I'm not holding his nationality in question but regarding a previous ongoing disagreement we had regarding the criminalization of speech.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-04-15, 15:27

I wish somebody would criminalize your face.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-15, 15:32

You cut me deep, sir. I'm going to wait until my feelings stop hurting and I'll have a great comeback.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-04-15, 15:51

xsanguine wrote:You cut me deep, sir. I'm going to wait until my feelings stop hurting and I'll have a great comeback.

Sorry. Was that a micro or macro aggression? Actually I think it was passive aggression.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-15, 16:17

It was aggressive aggression. Arguably the best kind.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down