Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nigel's thread about Poor People

+13
duffy munn
NigelUno
DWags
tGreenWay
I.B. Fine
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
Blanch32
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
The_Dude
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nigel's thread about Poor People - Page 2 Empty Re: Nigel's thread about Poor People

Post by NigelUno 25/04/16, 01:27 pm

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Nigel's thread about Poor People - Page 2 Empty Re: Nigel's thread about Poor People

Post by The_Dude 25/04/16, 01:36 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
I think that's exactly what you want since you're clearly out of you depth talking about what it's like to be poor, and what the real options are for poor people.  

It's so easy to sit and cluck your tongue.

I was trying to publicize a possible solution for poverty. We obviously need a new one since the existing efforts haven't made much headway since we started the war on poverty 50 years ago. I think directly giving the money to the people is much more effective than funneling it through 15-50 bureaucracies. My bet is that most people would handle the money just fine. Drop $$ every week on a universal debit card and you'd wipe out most homelessness and hunger.

I guess that's clucking my tongue.

How dare you try to offer up alternatives instead of just trying to throw more money at completely failed policies.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/16, 01:38 pm

I'll check with my wife when she gets back from Europe..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 25/04/16, 02:19 pm

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:I'm completely middle class. I have a boring life, I have a car, my wife does, we have a third car. We go on a couple or three vacations yearly, we hang at a boring cottage and drink boring beer. We will never be rich. I pray that I'm never poor. I'm as boring as you get. I'm as middle class as you get. My life is average. Always has been always will be. I'll die and have an average funeral, with most of my average friends coming. Or maybe not. I live in an average town in an average house. Average wife with average kids. I have two average cats.

I could come up with 400 bucks. I'm thinking a bunch of people could.

See, I agree. I would consider a household income in the 200k range with a couple kids to be middle class.

However, a lot of people would see your lifestyle and consider you upper middle class, easily.

I would personally consider rich someone who is above 350k a year in income and has assets of a couple mil or more. Somewhere around there.

200K household income is middle class ? What planet do you live on ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/16, 02:21 pm

my life is enriched with His glory.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 25/04/16, 02:30 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

See, I agree.  I would consider a household income in the 200k range with a couple kids to be middle class.

However, a lot of people would see your lifestyle and consider you upper middle class, easily.

I would personally consider rich someone who is above 350k a year in income and has assets of a couple mil or more.  Somewhere around there.

If you live in a major metro area?  Absolutely.

200k for a a family of 4 isn't some rich lifestyle, not even close.  Sure you are well off, but you are way more closer to middle class than elitist class.

Maybe my definition of middle class is off. I consider that sending your kids to college, having a couple cars, decent house in a decent area, vacation, being able to afford new clothes, etc. Have ample savings. Maybe that's not the middle class anymore. Maybe the middle class is a lot more dire than I thought?

I never considered the middle class the be people who struggle month to month. That would maybe be lower middle class, but I thought lower middle class didn't struggle monthly. They just didnt live in as nice of a home or vacation as often or drive as nice cars as the middle class, but could still afford those things.

Last edited by The_Dude on 25/04/16, 02:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 25/04/16, 02:33 pm

The_Dude wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

If you live in a major metro area? Absolutely.

200k for a a family of 4 isn't some rich lifestyle, not even close. Sure you are well off, but you are way more closer to middle class than elitist class.

The median household income in the United States in 2015 was around 53k. This includes people that live in "major" metro areas.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 25/04/16, 02:36 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

200k for a a family of 4 isn't some rich lifestyle, not even close. Sure you are well off, but you are way more closer to middle class than elitist class.

The median household income in the United States in 2015 was around 53k. This includes people that live in "major" metro areas.

Sure. But people in major metro areas will be higher and people in more rural areas or smaller towns will be lower.

The cost of living in Lansing metro compared to Detroit metro is fairly significant, for example.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 25/04/16, 02:46 pm

The_Dude wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Sure. But people in major metro areas will be higher and people in more rural areas or smaller towns will be lower.

The cost of living in Lansing metro compared to Detroit metro is fairly significant, for example.

Median household income in Bloomfield Hills is around 150k. 200k is not middle class no matter how you want to spin it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 25/04/16, 02:52 pm

Currently waiting for my corporate flight out at the executive wing at Midway. This thread is not for me.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 25/04/16, 03:04 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Currently waiting for my corporate flight out at the executive wing at Midway. This thread is not for me.

I'm calling bullshit. You probably make around 200k, which makes you middle class.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/16, 03:13 pm

our daughter (sorry For bin) asked about our household income the other day.. apparently she's been looking into aid for colleges, etc (damn East Lansing HS.. educating kids about college) - she's blissfully unaware about household income, etc.

So, while searching for a beer in the fridge, I did a brief calculation in my head.. responded to her and she shrugs and goes "well.. no aid for me, I guess" - Nigel's thread about Poor People - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 25/04/16, 03:52 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:our daughter (sorry For bin) asked about our household income the other day.. apparently she's been looking into aid for colleges, etc (damn East Lansing HS.. educating kids about college) - she's blissfully unaware about household income, etc.

So, while searching for a beer in the fridge, I did a brief calculation in my head.. responded to her and she shrugs and goes "well.. no aid for me, I guess" - Nigel's thread about Poor People - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano wrote:our daughter (sorry For bin) asked about our household income the other day.. apparently she's been looking into aid for colleges, etc (damn East Lansing HS.. educating kids about college) - she's blissfully unaware about household income, etc.

humble brag
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/16, 03:56 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

humble brag
a) not really

b) that's no way to talk to your sideline reporter
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 25/04/16, 03:58 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:a) not really

b) that's no way to talk to your sideline reporter

Just messin' Bob. Similar thing happened to me but my daughter's reply was, "so I'll have to clean my own bathrooms and clothes and stuff?, gross!, can I take one of the staff?".
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 25/04/16, 04:10 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

humble brag

like posting a photo of your family up north.

did you know Bob's wife is in Europe?
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 25/04/16, 04:12 pm

Bob is such an elitist prick.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 25/04/16, 04:19 pm

Hey guys Bob is rich look at him
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 25/04/16, 04:31 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hey guys Bobs wife is rich look at him

Fixed it for you
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 25/04/16, 04:50 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hey guys Bob is rich look at him

Remember when he was your sole source of financial support?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 25/04/16, 04:53 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Currently waiting for my corporate flight out at the executive wing at Midway. This thread is not for me.

I'm calling bullshit. You probably make around 200k, which makes you middle class.

Nigel's thread about Poor People - Page 2 20160410

Here's what Lansing looked like this morning. Apparently we had quite the steep takoff.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 25/04/16, 05:12 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hey guys Bob is rich look at him

Considering that is false, no.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/16, 05:37 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I would interject but I realize that you just want to internet argue with Turtleneck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 25/04/16, 06:06 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

That's sad
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 25/04/16, 10:32 pm

Snake Plissken wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

That's sad

Yes it is. I bet most people wished they lived in tDude's delusional universe. Where 200k is middle class.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 26/04/16, 07:43 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Bob is such an elitist prick.
I hate Bob. We should vote to have him banned.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 26/04/16, 07:52 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Goes off and gets a job and forgets all the people that helped him along the way.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 26/04/16, 07:56 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Goes off and gets a job and forgets all the people that helped him along the way.
damn #FeelTheBern millennials. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 26/04/16, 11:14 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

damn #FeelTheVeep millennials.  Rolling Eyes

Fixed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2