Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General MSU thread

+31
Rick Saunders
aualum06
Spartytruth
GRR Spartan
gomersbro
Pervis Muldoon
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
The Pantry
MiamiSpartan
Wally Fairway
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
goodbar
Senior Dickfist
Steve81
MattyFresh
Death Roe
Nordic
InTenSity
DWags
CheesySpartan
Blanch32
The_Dude
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
35 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

General MSU thread - Page 17 Empty Re: General MSU thread

Post by tGreenWay Tue 13 Jun 2023 - 18:20

Floyd Robertson wrote:I gotta think, that is the weirdest investment a university can make. Maybe there more bizarre instances but this has to be right up there. Med school in Detroit?

Besides, what good did moving to WJR really do for MSU. Owing the building is going to help with that?

Pretty sure WJR moved out of the Fisher Building years ago, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I’m wrong. They’re still there. Maybe they just left the tower.

Edit #2: The only time I listen to WJR is thru an app for Spartan radio broadcasts. I just read that WJR has switched to an all local lineup, at least for prime time. Paul Smith was pulled from the morning drive to an early after slot; Guy Gordon takes over mornings. And it’s bringing back SportsWrap for an hour from 6p-7p. I’m old enough to remember when moves like this would’ve been front page news for a couple of days. Now it’s just… meh.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/detroits-760-wjr-moves-to-all-local-programming-and-announces-new-shows/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 13 Jun 2023 - 21:26

Wait, isn't the hospital they are tied into essentially across the highway?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 15 Jun 2023 - 5:19

A little discussion from the Daily Detroit podcast

http://sites.libsyn.com/96606/msu-buys-fisher-building-ferndale-parking-lot-battle
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 15 Jun 2023 - 7:00

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I gotta think, that is the weirdest investment a university can make. Maybe there more bizarre instances but this has to be right up there. Med school in Detroit?

Besides, what good did moving to WJR really do for MSU. Owing the building is going to help with that?

Pretty sure WJR moved out of the Fisher Building years ago, but I could be wrong.

Edit #2: The only time I listen to WJR is thru an app for Spartan radio broadcasts. I just read that WJR has switched to an all local lineup, at least for prime time. Paul Smith was pulled from the morning drive to an early after slot; Guy Gordon takes over mornings. And it’s bringing back SportsWrap for an hour from 6p-7p. I’m old enough to remember when moves like this would’ve been front page news for a couple of days. Now it’s just… meh.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/detroits-760-wjr-moves-to-all-local-programming-and-announces-new-shows/

They really were "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes" when I was a kid in the 1950's & 1960's. Then they sold out to corporate radio and it was a long slide downhill. JP's death was the final nail. I met his son, JP's once trying to buy a car from him, he looked just like his dad.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 15 Jun 2023 - 10:11

LANSING — A pair of former Michigan State University trustees has called for current board member Dianne Byrum to resign over a report that she and her husband underpaid tens of thousands of dollars in property taxes over a decade.

"The Detroit news report about Dianne Byrum's failure to pay her local school mileage tax, claiming homestead exemptions on two houses since 2017, shows she is unfit to govern any education institution," Brian Mosallam and Pat O'Keefe, both trustees emeriti, wrote in the letter.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/06/15/dianne-byrum-michigan-state-university-board-resign/70324562007/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 19 Jun 2023 - 12:14

Detroit > Grand Rapids

Academic and research partnerships forged over the past decade in Grand Rapids provided a blueprint for Michigan State University’s recent investments in Detroit.

Specifically, building public-private partnerships that resulted in a health care and research campus along the city’s Medical Mile, along with collaborations with local health systems, helped MSU establish a base away from its East Lansing campus.

Now that same strategy is being applied in Detroit with major real estate investments and health care partnerships.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/economic-development/grand-rapids-investments-create-blueprint-for-msu-in-detroit/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Jun 2023 - 12:26

Turtleneck wrote:Detroit > Grand Rapids

Academic and research partnerships forged over the past decade in Grand Rapids provided a blueprint for Michigan State University’s recent investments in Detroit.

Specifically, building public-private partnerships that resulted in a health care and research campus along the city’s Medical Mile, along with collaborations with local health systems, helped MSU establish a base away from its East Lansing campus.

Now that same strategy is being applied in Detroit with major real estate investments and health care partnerships.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/economic-development/grand-rapids-investments-create-blueprint-for-msu-in-detroit/

Who lost the blueprint to buy Sparrow hospital before u of m could get to it?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 19 Jun 2023 - 12:28

Floyd Robertson wrote:

GreenWay
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 19 Jun 2023 - 17:07

Yeah, just imagine what downtown lansing could be with the investment they are putting everywhere else.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Jun 2023 - 23:01

Turtleneck wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

GreenWay

I gave you a chance to join my consortium of buyers. You were a big baby and didn’t want to sell your stock in Swanson Foods because of your crush on Tucker Carlson.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Turtleneck and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 7:43

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/new-miss-michigan-will-use-platform-to-advocate-for-arts/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 8:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Lots of moving parts. MSU had a relationship with Sparrow. Sparrow leadership was offended when MSU moved its Medical School to GR years ago.

MSU developed closer relationships with Spectrum and Beaumont. They recently merged into CoreWell) and MSU has strong affiliation with Karmanos Cancer Center. MSU invested $450M plus real estate into the new McLaren Lansing General.

University of Michigan Health purchase of Sparrow and GR Metro are business. They needed to buy both to keep a presence in two major markets in the state.

From a medical education standpoint due to the additional medical schools that have opened, both MSU and UofM need spots for their students to do rotations and residencies after graduation. In places like FL, private medical schools are buying spots for their students leaving public medical schools scrambling for places for their students .
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 8:24

GRR Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Lots of moving parts. MSU had a relationship with Sparrow. Sparrow leadership was offended when MSU moved its Medical School to GR years ago.

MSU developed closer relationships with Spectrum and Beaumont. They recently merged into CoreWell) and MSU has strong affiliation with Karmanos Cancer Center. MSU invested $450M plus real estate into the new McLaren Lansing General.

University of Michigan Health purchase of Sparrow and GR Metro are business. They needed to buy both to keep a presence in two major markets in the state.

From a medical education standpoint due to the additional medical schools that have opened, both MSU and UofM need spots for their students to do rotations and residencies after graduation. In places like FL, private medical schools are buying spots for their students leaving public medical schools scrambling for places for their students .

Don't medical schools place residents nationally, not locally?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 10:42

Residencies are post grad and are applied for much like medical schools. The in hospital department rotations for med school students is a major issue.

Back in the day Michigan had 2 medical school. um started in 1850 then Wayne State in 1869 the MSU almost 100 years later. In the last 20 years Oakland, CMU and WMU have added medical schools. That’s a whole lot more students needing rotations than hospitals.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 10:45

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/new-miss-michigan-will-use-platform-to-advocate-for-arts/

love this:

She’s using her community service initiative, Arts for All, for “advocating for the arts, educating people about the benefits of it and ensuring that people have the resources to be creative.”

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 11:33

GRR Spartan wrote:Residencies are post grad and are applied for much like medical schools. The in hospital department rotations for med school students is a major issue.  

Back in the day Michigan had 2 medical school.  um started in 1850 then Wayne State in 1869 the MSU almost 100 years later.  In the last 20 years Oakland, CMU and WMU have added medical schools.  That’s a whole lot more students needing rotations than hospitals.

An ex of one of my kids, UofM med school, did their residency in Seattle, so pretty sure Michigan's med school Doctors can go anywhere, not just in state.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 13:41

Trapper Gus wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Residencies are post grad and are applied for much like medical schools. The in hospital department rotations for med school students is a major issue.  

Back in the day Michigan had 2 medical school.  um started in 1850 then Wayne State in 1869 the MSU almost 100 years later.  In the last 20 years Oakland, CMU and WMU have added medical schools.  That’s a whole lot more students needing rotations than hospitals.

An ex of one of my kids, UofM med school, did their residency in Seattle, so pretty sure Michigan's med school Doctors can go anywhere, not just in state.

But did your child do their rotations in Chicago, Seattle, San Jose, Austin and OKC?

Residency is like getting into law or business school and some specialties like ophthalmology, dermatology, neurology are crazy competitive.
anesthesiology are very competitive.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 20 Jun 2023 - 17:32

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/new-miss-michigan-will-use-platform-to-advocate-for-arts/

Maya’s dad and I were fraternity brothers and housemates at State, going active in the same pledge class. We lost touch after he graduated and went on to med school. You know—life gets in the way. Hearing about his death a couple months ago was a real jolt—the second time within the past year that someone I had close ties to at MSU just dropped dead. Yet another reminder that life is short and tomorrow is promised to none of us.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 22 Jun 2023 - 8:45

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-states-breslin-scoreboard-go-sale-coming-weeks

[tw]1671551719887470601[/tw]
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Thu 22 Jun 2023 - 9:01

tGreenWay wrote:

I hear it in scratchy am in my mom's car when I visit. She gets mad when I change it although I cannot even discern what is being said.
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 22 Jun 2023 - 9:12

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-states-breslin-scoreboard-go-sale-coming-weeks

[tw]1671551719887470601[/tw]

I didn't hear about getting a new scoreboard. Usually that stuff has to be approved by the BoT. Maybe Ishbia is getting a new one in Phoenix, and giving us their old one.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 22 Jun 2023 - 9:23

[tw]1671571425109344267[/tw]

General MSU thread - Page 17 1469072363
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 3 Jul 2023 - 19:51

Great big round of applause for the now-retired Paulette Martis. Paulette worked at MSU for 48 years, the past 33 in athletics. When I first started covering Spartan sports, Paulette was working in Sports Information and her weekly and sometimes daily assistance was invaluable. I always
felt a little bad for her because she was working for the perpetually scowling Ken Hoffman. Hoffman treated outsiders as the enemy; the antithesis of previous MSU SIDs Fred Stabley Sr. and Nick Vista. Whether or not she realized it, Paulette was always the bridge between Stabley and Vista, who were long credited nationally as setting the gold standard for Sport Information Directors. It was something Hoffman was incapable of doing, and Paulette was a natural at it.
I’m so happy she got the recognition she deserved once word got out she was calling it a career.

https://michiganstate.rivals.com/news/paulette-martis-celebrates-48-years-of-service-at-michigan-state-university
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 13:19

Anybody else here getting data verification emails from the MSU Almuni Office? Seems like there'd be a better way than asking me to call an 866 number unless they want to verify and hit people up for cash in one call.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 15:56

Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody else here getting data verification emails from the MSU Almuni Office? Seems like there'd be a better way than asking me to call an 866 number unless they want to verify and hit people up for cash in one call.
Coincidence?

Major bridge on MSU campus undergoes makeover

$48M? Would like to be owner of the contracted company.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 16:06

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody else here getting data verification emails from the MSU Almuni Office? Seems like there'd be a better way than asking me to call an 866 number unless they want to verify and hit people up for cash in one call.
Coincidence?

Major bridge on MSU campus undergoes makeover

$48M? Would like to be owner of the contracted company.

The sign from MSU they show in the video (0:16) says $44M. Maybe they say where the other $4M went in the video (mute for me), or it could be fabulous reporting by Fox47.
gomersbro
Spartiate

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 16:46

gomersbro wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Coincidence?

$48M?  Would like to be owner of the contracted company.  

The sign from MSU they show in the video (0:16) says $44M. Maybe they say where the other $4M went in the video (mute for me), or it could be fabulous reporting by Fox47.
Forget Fox47.  Even $44M is stupid high for that project.  $30M would be more reasonable...even with the short projected timeline, still high IMHO.

The engineering study & design has obviously already completed since construction has commenced.  Whom did that?  Is that part of the $44/48M number?  

Whomever approves design/construction contracts for projects at MSU must be idiots, and/or getting paid.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 18:31

I got it today. Is it legit? I thought it was a scam. It's from noreply@publishingcomcepts.com or something like that. And asking me to call an 866 number to verify personal data is also usually a red flag.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 18 Jul 2023 - 18:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I got it today. Is it legit? I thought it was a scam. It's from noreply@publishingcomcepts.com or something like that. And asking me to call an 866 number to verify personal data is also usually a red flag.

Yeah, if they want me to verify something it better be at a link like alumni.michiganstate.edu
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 29 Jul 2023 - 10:47

Returning To Your Roots With Michigan State’s Ashton Henderson

https://athleticdirectoru.com/video/returning-to-your-roots-michigan-state-henderson/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 2 Aug 2023 - 7:52

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-state-university-cancels-classes-anniversary-shooting
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 11:40

https://www.wilx.com/2023/08/05/michigan-state-university-awarded-529m-nuclear-research/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 19:49

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.wilx.com/2023/08/05/michigan-state-university-awarded-529m-nuclear-research/

DWags, please please do not touch any buttons. Thanks.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 20:01

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.wilx.com/2023/08/05/michigan-state-university-awarded-529m-nuclear-research/
That's a helluva lot a cash.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 20:44

Turtleneck wrote:

I’m just touching everything I see.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 21:09

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

No reason to be Travis
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 6 Aug 2023 - 21:53

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

General MSU thread - Page 17 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Mon 7 Aug 2023 - 10:18

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

General MSU thread - Page 17 MV5BMmQyOWU5ZjUtMzgwMy00NWE1LTk3NjYtM2IyY2FlOTJhYTU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU2NjYyODYw._V1_
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 7 Aug 2023 - 12:16

aualum06 wrote:
DWags wrote:

No reason to be Travis

General MSU thread - Page 17 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon 7 Aug 2023 - 13:04

The Pantry wrote:
That's a helluva lot a cash.

As noted, MSU is one of the top two schools in the US for this type of physics, MSU & MIT trade the top spot back and forth.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next