Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person?

+16
Gomer
Nordic
SeeRockCity
AnomanderRake
steveschneider
Triple Sparty
Floyd Robertson
Tim Wakefield
tGreenWay
Clarett's Folly
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
NigelUno
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? Empty What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 09:48

and I'm not talking a between the legs, 360 tomahawk dunk.. but..

hit a major league curve ball?

hit a 40 yard field goal?

run a 4:00 mile?

one lap around a NASCAR track, bumper-to-bumper at 160 mph without causing a wreck?

hit a 30 foot putt?

stop a free kick or a PK in European soccer?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? Empty Re: What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person?

Post by NigelUno 2016-04-28, 09:51

How do I create a poll?

Creating a poll is easy -- when you post a new topic (or edit the first post of a topic, if you have permission) you should see a Add Poll form below the main posting box. If you cannot see this then you probably do not have rights to create polls. You should enter a title for the poll and then at least two options -- to set an option type in the poll question and click the Add option button. You can also set a time limit for the poll, 0 being an infinite amount. There will be a limit to the number of options you can list, which is set by the board administrator.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? Empty Re: What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person?

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-28, 09:53

Curve ball not super hard to hit if it hangs. 100 mph fastball, nearly impossible for an average schmuck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 09:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:and I'm not talking a between the legs, 360 tomahawk dunk.. but..

one lap around a NASCAR track, bumper-to-bumper at 160 mph without causing a wreck?

hit a 30 foot putt?

I'll go with creating a poll.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 09:55

Rocinante wrote:Curve ball not super hard to hit if it hangs. 100 mph fastball, nearly impossible for an average schmuck.
see, I'd be bailing out of the box if that hanging curve was comin' at my head... right before it took a dip across the plate..

but I know where you're coming from. 100 mph fast ball.. not even sure I'd want to stand there to watch it go over the plate.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-28, 09:57

I'm Not Entirely Sure But I Will Think About It.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-28, 09:57

I've hit thirty foot putts, but that's just blind stupid luck.

A pk In soccer depends on the shot. If it's a perfect shot then no one can stop it. If it's a decent shot then no average schumcks gonna stop it. They could always just screw up and hit it right at you though if you just stand there.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with throw a perfect game Bob.

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-04-28, 10:35; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-04-28, 10:01

I'd say something hockey related for the simple reason that if you can't skate, you can't do any of it, and lots of people don't know how to skate.

Stopping a breakaway goal, maybe? Or scoring on an NHL goalie, that would probably be harder to luck into.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-28, 10:02

Apparently it's fire Brad Ausmus.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-04-28, 10:08

I'm thinking that hitting a major league pitch, blocking a Premier League pk, and sinking a 30 foot putt could all be accomplished by an average shmuck at the point where odds intersect with blind luck. The NASCAR thing, while extremely difficult, also seems like it is something for which a novice could also find a groove and luck in to completing a single lap.
If you've ever seen those awful promotional events at football games where they pull someone out of the stands to attempt a 15 yard FG for 1000 dollars only for the participant to dribble a crappy kick 5 yards along the ground you'll understand why I rank that #2.
Running a 4:00 mile for the untrained seems like a feat on par with unassisted flight and, for that reason, I'm ranking that #1.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 10:15

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Apparently it's fire Brad Ausmus.
What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 10:16

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I've hit thirty foot putts, but that's just blind stupid luck.

A pk In soccer depends on the shot. If it's a perfect shot then no one can stop it. If it's a decent shot then no average schumcks good stop it. They could always just screw up and hit it right at you though if you just stand there.

that's a good one.. but I was thinking more of a single act vs something over a period of time.. like winning the Ironman or something.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-28, 10:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I've hit thirty foot putts, but that's just blind stupid luck.

A pk In soccer depends on the shot. If it's a perfect shot then no one can stop it. If it's a decent shot then no average schumcks good stop it. They could always just screw up and hit it right at you though if you just stand there.

that's a good one.. but I was thinking more of a single act vs something over a period of time.. like winning the Ironman or something.

I know, I was just teasing you.

I'm gonna go with hitting a major league fast ball. And also not immediately dying after getting hit in an NFL game.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-04-28, 10:36

Wear one of those sumo wrestler diapers in public. Those things are enormous, and my tiny nutsack would be exposed for all the world to see.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-04-28, 10:39

Dunk a basketball.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-28, 10:42

LooseGoose wrote:Dunk a basketball.  

Dunking a basketball isn't really a skill. It's mostly genetics. Are you tall? Can you jump fairly high? That's all there is to it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-04-28, 10:44

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Dunk a basketball.  

Dunking a basketball isn't really a skill. It's mostly genetics. Are you tall? Can you jump fairly high? That's all there is to it.

It's a skill, like juggling. And reading lips.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-28, 10:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:and I'm not talking a between the legs, 360 tomahawk dunk.. but..

hit a 30 foot putt?

I'll go with creating a poll.

What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-28, 12:04

The pitch you'd have to worry about in the big leagues would be the change up. It's possible to ID arm slot or whatever..hard as fuck, but possible. But when you're waiting for 95 and King Felix drops this MFer on you... the average person would swing every time and miss by a foot every time.

Even in HS/travel ball, a kid with a good change up could dominate a game and make everyone look stupid, including me. Never mastered the pitch; 1) because i threw 75 mph and 2) half my pitches were knuckleballs. I was ok with that.

But the guys who threw 80-85 with an accurate change up were some of my worst ABs of my life
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-28, 12:07

Tim Wakefield wrote:The pitch you'd have to worry about in the big leagues would be the change up. It's possible to ID arm slot or whatever..hard as fuck, but possible. But when you're waiting for 95 and King Felix drops this MFer on you... the average person would swing every time and miss by a foot every time.

Even in HS/travel ball, a kid with a good change up could dominate a game and make everyone look stupid, including me. Never mastered the pitch; 1) because i threw 75 mph and 2) half my pitches were knuckleballs. I was ok with that.

But the guys who threw 80-85 with an accurate change up were some of my worst ABs of my life

I guess that depends on if you're talking about someone with experience or not. You have to know what a 100 mph fastball looks like to get fooled by an 80 mph change up. If you've never seen either then something like arm slot isn't going to matter.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 12:10

Tim Wakefield wrote:The pitch you'd have to worry about in the big leagues would be the change up. It's possible to ID arm slot or whatever..hard as fuck, but possible. But when you're waiting for 95 and King Felix drops this MFer on you... the average person would swing every time and miss by a foot every time.

I do recall you being the Godfather of the knuckleball.

when I was a kid, Phil Niekro had a mean one.. early 80's. Would be difficult to hit, I imagine.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-04-28, 12:11

Listen to Desmond Howard on TV.  I don't know how anyone can do that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-28, 12:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

when I was a kid, Phil Niekro had a mean one.. early 80's. Would be difficult to hit, I imagine.

Speaking for myself (and for real Tim Wakefield)... When my ball wasn't moving much or an ump didn't give me a generous zone, I got my shit rocked. A floating, 60 mph pitch isn't gonna fool many people. My leash was very short What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? 502811600

Most times I got a bit of a bigger zone cause the ump never saw a true knuckleball. It was nice throwing a knuckler 4 inches off the plate and wringing the guy up. Wind also helped a lot..whenever it was a real windy day, I started on the rubber, no questions asked
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-04-28, 12:19

Wait, Bob knows Tim?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 12:25

Tim Wakefield wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I do recall you being the Godfather of the knuckleball.

Speaking for myself (and for real Tim Wakefield)... When my ball wasn't moving much or an ump didn't give me a generous zone, I got my shit rocked.  A floating, 60 mph pitch isn't gonna fool many people. My leash was very short What Would Be The Most Difficult Single Thing to Do in Sports For an Average Person? 502811600

Most times I got a bit of a bigger zone cause the ump never saw a true knuckleball. It was nice throwing a knuckler 4 inches off the plate and wringing the guy up.  Wind also helped a lot..whenever it was a real windy day, I started on the rubber, no questions asked

baseball was not my sport in high school.. I got rocked regularly. In fact, 30 years later, I'm certain the only reason I made the team was so I could throw BP and give my teammates some confidence.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-28, 12:29

Triple Sparty wrote:Wait, Bob knows Tim?

A lot of people know me.

You might recognise me here, giving up a walk off HR to my main rival in Game 7 of the ALCS:

Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-28, 12:42

I know Tim and Bob once gave me $10 if that counts for anything.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-28, 12:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

I know Tim and Bob once gave me $10 if that counts for anything.
#NeverForget

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-28, 14:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

In high school I could throw a knuckleball that would work 25% of the time. I tried it once in a game. it didn't break and the batter hit it about 450 feet. Luckily it was so slow he pulled it foul. My coach pulled me after that inning. He said it would have been sooner but no one was warmed up. :(
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-28, 16:30

How about stop a one timer? Have fun in goal with that.

That or block any DEs pass rush
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-28, 16:30

...fuck tackle a single NFL rb
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-28, 16:41

Jean Claude Van Damme can stop a breakaway. (Couldn't find the exact clip so go to 1:45:00 if you care)
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-04-28, 16:43

Could anyone here stand comfortably in a batters box as a pitcher like Chapman aka the Cuban Missile throws 100mph heaters?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-04-28, 16:43

Blanch32 wrote:...fuck tackle a single NFL rb

Yeah the average person definitely could never bring down a NFL RB. You'd have to catch them at full speed and trip them which would never happen.

I think landing a single hit to the chin of a professional boxer/fighter would also be impossible for the average person.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-28, 16:44

steveschneider wrote:Could anyone here stand comfortably in a batters box as a pitcher like Chapman aka the Cuban Missile throws 100mph heaters?

They have a pitching machine that throws 100 mph fastballs behind plexiglass that you can stand near a simulated batters box at the Louisville Slugger factory. Scary shit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-28, 16:52

AnomanderRake wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:...fuck tackle a single NFL rb

Yeah the average person definitely could never bring down a NFL RB. You'd have to catch them at full speed and trip them which would never happen.

I think landing a single hit to the chin of a professional boxer/fighter would also be impossible for the average person.

Good one.... Here's a clip of Michael b Jordan, who trained as a boxer for the role, getting hit by his nemesis during filming of Creed. The other guy is a professional boxer. Apparently it's a rocky tradition to actually get hit once. Drago put Stallone in the hospital for four days.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-04-28, 16:58

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Could anyone here stand comfortably in a batters box as a pitcher like Chapman aka the Cuban Missile throws 100mph heaters?

They have a pitching machine that throws 100 mph fastballs behind plexiglass that you can stand near a simulated batters box at the Louisville Slugger factory. Scary shit.

I'd love to experience that and I can't imagine what it would be like without that glass.

The pros really make that shit look so easy and so routine.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2016-04-28, 17:13

Pitch a perfect game against a major league team.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-28, 17:20

SeeRockCity wrote:Pitch a perfect game against a major league team.

I wish that you wouldn't constantly copy my posts seerockcity.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-28, 17:54

Being a lefty hitter... i'd be scared of him, Randy Johnson, and any submarine leftys. I'd like to face a righty flamethrower just to see what it's like.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next