Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge.

+8
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
Blanch32
SpartanInNH
Dr. Strangelove
Cameron
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 Empty Re: Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge.

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-24, 11:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Blue Rodeo is from Canada.. pretty solid band for being from Canada.

Fixed
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 Empty Re: Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge.

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-24, 11:32

FUCK!!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-24, 11:38

Rocinante wrote:FUCK!!

Maybe Axl can fill in?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-24, 11:48

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:FUCK!!

Maybe Axl can fill in?

I'll trade a million Axle Rose's for one Gord.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 11:50

Never seen the hip but the singer of my first band was huge into them. I think I may try to make it to one of their shows.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-24, 11:52

xsanguine wrote:Never seen the hip but the singer of my first band was huge into them. I think I may try to make it to one of their shows.

If you want an album that kind of encapsulates everything they are, I think World Container is the one you want.

It has none of their (american) hits, but it's all around pretty much what they represent to me.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 11:58

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Never seen the hip but the singer of my first band was huge into them. I think I may try to make it to one of their shows.

If you want an album that kind of encapsulates everything they are, I think World Container is the one you want.

It has none of their (american) hits, but it's all around pretty much what they represent to me.

I'll have to check it out. I never liked Downey's vocals but I liked the music a lot and I hear their live shows are really good.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 12:00

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I'll have to check it out. I never liked Downey's vocals but I liked the music a lot and I hear their live shows are really good.
you should hit the Two Cow Garage/Frank Turner show at The Intersection this Thursday..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-24, 12:04

Rocinante wrote:

Roc is using the term "hit" rather loosely here since their top performing album peaked at 129th on the US Chart. To be fair though they did have 3 singles break the top 40 in 30 years. Over the same time period there was another Canadian band that had 6 top 10 albums, 7 top 10 singles and 11 top 40 singles. But Roc doesn't like them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-24, 12:06

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Roc is using the term "hit" rather loosely here since their top performing album peaked at 129th on the US Chart. To be fair though they did have 3 singles break the top 40 in 30 years. Over the same time period there was another Canadian band that had 6 top 10 albums, 7 top 10 singles and 11 top 40 singles. But Roc doesn't like them.

Thanks for looking that up, dicknose.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-24, 12:11

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I love you too. I actually bought one of their albums back in the 90s after someone recommended them to me based on my love of Squeeze. Whichever album I bought I didn't care for much, but I just went and listened to "In View" off the album you recommended and can see where someone could tie them to Squeeze.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 12:38

Kathleen Edwards is also Canadian..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 13:01

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Maybe Axl can fill in?

I'll trade a million Axle Rose's for one Gord.

There's still one Gord left.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 13:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

you should hit the Two Cow Garage/Frank Turner show at The Intersection this Thursday..

Bob, you going to see Ryan Adams and Noel Gallagher in July?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 13:26

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you should hit the Two Cow Garage/Frank Turner show at The Intersection this Thursday..

I thought about it - I haven't secured tickets yet. Would likely be a pretty good time.. I am planning on a few other shows this summer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 13:34

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you should hit the Two Cow Garage/Frank Turner show at The Intersection this Thursday..

I hope he plays Summer of 69. I love that song.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-24, 13:36

tGreenWay wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

He has played Run to You and Summer of 69, I think, in acknowledgement of the name confusion.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 13:37

tGreenWay wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I'm kinda partial to The Boys of Summer..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 13:37

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

He has played Run to You and Summer of 69, I think, in acknowledgement of the name confusion.
indeed - I think it's been his way of sort of showing that he's grown up a little bit and doesn't take himself too seriously.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 13:39

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 502811600 Nice to see he's embraced the confusion or sheer drunkenness of his fans. He didn't used to be that cool about it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 13:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

indeed - I think it's been his way of sort of showing that he's grown up a little bit and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Gotta be this. The guy was a tool to his audiences a few times.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-24, 13:46

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If he would do Lonely Nights I'd be ready to buy tickets.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 13:57

Ryan Adams does seem like a tool but man can that guy write a tune and a lyric.

It's always the guys I doubt I'd get along with that end up writing shit that is artistically pleasing to me. Billy Corgan is another example.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 14:01

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:indeed - I think it's been his way of sort of showing that he's grown up a little bit and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Gotta be this. The guy was a tool to his audiences a few times.
there is a great story about him coming unglued in East Lansing..

(it was actually at Mac's Bar but, for whatever reason, it gets referred to as the "East Lansing incident")
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 14:03

this is a pretty well written book, by the way..

Ryan Adams - Losering: A Story of Whiskeytown

Even before he was big in Raleigh, Adams had star quality, self absorption and knack for ruining an evening that made him hard to turn away from and difficult to deal with. Add a bit of fame and the right drugs and he was off the chart.

Like June 1997 in East Lansing, Michigan, hometown of then manager Jenni Sperandeo, when Adams decided to throw a hissy fit, ostensibly to protest some bar patrons paying too much attention to sports on television. By the time the night is over, he's on top of the Whiskeytown van throwing cans of beer and being pelted by tomatoes. Sperandeo says Adams threw the show on purpose. "'Somewhere I have pictures from before the show. It was one of those excessive eyeliner nights for Ryan, who was completely wasted.'"
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 14:04

Was he doing heroin even in the 90s? I thought that wasn't something he got into until the 2000's.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-24, 14:07

xsanguine wrote:Was he doing heroin even in the 90s? I thought that wasn't something he got into until the 2000's.

Who wasn't doing heroin in the 90s? Well except for those that were already dead from doing heroin in the 80s. And the 70s.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 14:11

LooseGoose wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Was he doing heroin even in the 90s? I thought that wasn't something he got into until the 2000's.

Who wasn't doing heroin in the 90s? Well except for those that were already dead from doing heroin in the 80s. And the 70s.

I wasn't doing heroin in the 90's, LG.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 14:23

I don't recall the timeline but he was in pretty rough shape.

the good news is that he not only cleaned up his own act, but he also played an integral role in helping Jason Isbell clean up, too.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-24, 15:04

I keep hearing about Jason Isbell but have never checked him out. I'm stubborn when new artists are recommended. Took me 10 years to finally listen to Ryan Adams.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 15:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:this is a pretty well written book, by the way..

Ryan Adams - Losering: A Story of Whiskeytown

Even before he was big in Raleigh, Adams had star quality, self absorption and knack for ruining an evening that made him hard to turn away from and difficult to deal with. Add a bit of fame and the right drugs and he was off the chart.

Like June 1997 in East Lansing, Michigan, hometown of then manager Jenni Sperandeo, when Adams decided to throw a hissy fit, ostensibly to protest some bar patrons paying too much attention to sports on television. By the time the night is over, he's on top of the Whiskeytown van throwing cans of beer and being pelted by tomatoes. Sperandeo says Adams threw the show on purpose. "'Somewhere I have pictures from before the show. It was one of those excessive eyeliner nights for Ryan, who was completely wasted.'"

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 502811600 Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 15:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I don't recall the timeline but he was in pretty rough shape.

the good news is that he not only cleaned up his own act, but he also played an integral role in helping Jason Isbell clean up, too.

The MSU basketball player? Well, now I'm especially grateful for Ryan Adams.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 15:09

xsanguine wrote:I keep hearing about Jason Isbell but have never checked him out. I'm stubborn when new artists are recommended. Took me 10 years to finally listen to Ryan Adams.
one of my favorites, for sure. A bit more country-ish (which is fine with me).. last two records have had a bit of an acoustic, downbeat feel to them but the songwriting is about as fine as it gets.

the Truckers were definitely at their best with the three guitar/songwriting attack of Cooley, Hood and Isbell.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-24, 15:10

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't recall the timeline but he was in pretty rough shape.

I believe Izzo invited him back to kiss the floor.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-24, 15:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I believe Izzo invited him back to kiss the floor.

I remember. It happened the night the Spartans lost to Duke.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-24, 22:50

LooseGoose wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:

Never heard it before.  Not complaining.

Actually, I'm a lot closer to complaining that I have heard it. Thanks for nothing, Goose.

You're getting as testy as the rest of the sons a bitches around here.

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 502811600 Shit happens when you make me listen to shit music. tongue
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-24, 22:52

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 1966794946 Christ, I don't remember the last time I heard the term "dicknose."

Wow. This fucker is a real time machine. Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 1966794946
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-25, 01:25

SpartanInNH wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 1966794946 Christ, I don't remember the last time I heard the term "dicknose."

Wow. This fucker is a real time machine. Major scandal brewing in Canada. Fallout is going to be huge. - Page 2 1966794946

Get bent.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2