Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what's the verdict on Windows 10?

+7
AnomanderRake
Rocinante
Death Roe
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
11 posters

Go down

So what's the verdict on Windows 10? Empty So what's the verdict on Windows 10?

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-06-14, 17:31

Saw something about the free upgrade deadline coming up next month. Last summer, I figured I'd wait a few months and let the bugs get worked out, then I kind of got used to ignoring the little icon in the task bar, and forgot about it.

So should I upgrade to Windows 10? I always hate upgrading OS's, but I think I'm scarred by all the past versions that would completely wipe your hard drive in the process.

Also, I have an older laptop that only has about 2 GB of RAM. It's typically pretty damn slow with most things, so will Windows 10 be tough to run? Does it require more or less RAM, processor speed, etc. than Windows 7? Should I even bother upgrading the older laptop? It's not used for much except occasional internet usage and as the hub for the home network.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So what's the verdict on Windows 10? Empty Re: So what's the verdict on Windows 10?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-14, 17:35

Guilty
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So what's the verdict on Windows 10? Empty Re: So what's the verdict on Windows 10?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-14, 17:37

My 2¢ is that you should keep ignoring the Icon on the older laptop. I'm as big a Microsoft slappy as you'll find and I think 10 is a steaming pile. I actually miss 8.1, so think about that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-06-14, 19:15

W8 sucked.  W8.1 made 8 suck a little less.  W10 has been running fine for quite a while on the home laptop (i7, 8GB ram).

Don't do company IT anymore so can't comment on that struggle.  Workplace puters (maybe 40 or so) are all still W7

Last edited by The Pantry on 2016-06-14, 21:59; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-06-14, 19:18

Quilty
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-06-14, 22:37

As long as you don't pay over a thousand bucks, it's all good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-06-16, 09:44

It's garbage. My friend's PC auto-updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 and literally broke his PC, it was 100% unusable. I had to go over and revert his OS back to Windows 8 and spend hours correcting everything Microsoft screwed up.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-16, 09:47

AnomanderRake wrote:It's garbage. My friend's PC auto-updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 and literally broke his PC, it was 100% unusable. I had to go over and revert his OS back to Windows 8 and spend hours correcting everything Microsoft screwed up.

In my case, the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my Surface Pro 3 went great.  It wasn't until a month later that shit started to break.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-04, 19:56

W10 update notices are irritating but have always offered the opportunity to reschedule for a different time...until this evening.

Got home from work and fired up the laptop. Within a few seconds it closed everything I previously had open and went into updating.

Took about an hour and half so I'm expecting some major disturbance coming shortly.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-10-04, 20:22

For some reason Microsoft office has disappeared on my laptop. Went to W10 about three months ago.

Windows has sucked dick since XP was phased out.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-04, 20:25

kingstonlake wrote:For some reason Microsoft office has disappeared on my laptop. Went to W10 about three months ago.

Windows has sucked dick since XP was phased out.
W7 is still good
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-10-04, 20:34

The Pantry wrote:W10 update notices are irritating but have always offered the opportunity to reschedule for a different time...until this evening.

Got home from work and fired up the laptop.  Within a few seconds it closed everything I previously had open and went into updating.  

Took about an hour and half so I'm expecting some major disturbance coming shortly.

Sounds like you might have finally received the anniversary update. There were some initial problems with it, so they slowed it down. But when I got it a couple months ago it actually fixed all the W10 problems I was having on my Surface Pro 3.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-04, 21:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:W10 update notices are irritating but have always offered the opportunity to reschedule for a different time...until this evening.

Got home from work and fired up the laptop.  Within a few seconds it closed everything I previously had open and went into updating.  

Sounds like you might have finally received the anniversary update. There were some initial problems with it, so they slowed it down. But when I got it a couple months ago it actually fixed all the W10 problems I was having on my Surface Pro 3.
So, was it mostly about a touch screen update?

Still pissed Microsoft decided a time I could not use my laptop
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-10-04, 21:48

I used Linux for a time at a job some 10+ years ago. Any one used it recently, thoughts?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-10-04, 21:55

xsanguine wrote:I used Linux for a time at a job some 10+ years ago. Any one used it recently, thoughts?

I used it exclusively for years. I finally stopped because getting the proper plugins for certain applications can be a pain if you're not super IT guy, which I'm not. Stability and performance for general use is great though. Ubutu, and other similar OSs ate pretty sweet. I'm just lazy now.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-10-04, 21:58

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I used Linux for a time at a job some 10+ years ago. Any one used it recently, thoughts?

I used it exclusively for years. I finally stopped because getting the proper plugins for certain applications can be a pain if you're not super IT guy, which I'm not. Stability and performance for general use is great though. Ubutu, and other similar OSs ate pretty sweet. I'm just lazy now.

Do you use any non Windows OS right now, Roc?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-10-04, 22:11

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Do you use any non Windows OS right now, Roc?

Nope. Work uses professional, and I have 10 on my home machines.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-10-05, 04:35

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

So, was it mostly about a touch screen update?  

Still pissed Microsoft decided a time I could not use my laptop

I don't think it was just about a touch screen update, I think what it fixed for me is just a byproduct of all the other fixes/enhancements they put in place.  I agree about the timing though, it's just another one of those dumb things they've done with the W10 rollout.

Interestingly, I read that Apple has taken some cues from Microsoft and is now forcing the latest IOS upgrade on users.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-10-05, 06:54

You can opt out of "pre-loading" , the Apple euphamism for shoving it down your throat. I made changes so its all manual updates and I never want to be the first. Much rather be getting ver. 1.04 than ver. 1.0

I have customers who hung on to Windows7 for years because it was reliable. MS supported it for a lot longer than I ever expected because of its entrenched business user base.

If you buy a new Windows machine and your Windows 8/9 is working why update especially if you have to pay for it?

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-10-05, 08:13

I really like it a lot.. I downloaded it to my i67eHg Computastic iTablet and, I gotta say, it runs at about 678ebm.09 Hg faster than the previous version. I think the key is to use the Kevlar eF56 modem when connecting it with the carbon fiber Lynx golden sapphire nickel-plated cable.

I'm really happy with it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-10-05, 08:31

I have no plans to upgrade my gaming PC to windows 10. Still running Windows 7 and life is good.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down