Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Van Halen Verdict

+7
tGreenWay
Tim Wakefield
Cameron
Nordic
kingstonlake
The Pantry
SawGreen
11 posters

Go down

Van Halen Verdict

Van Halen Verdict Vote_lcap30%Van Halen Verdict Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 6 ]
Van Halen Verdict Vote_lcap20%Van Halen Verdict Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 4 ]
Van Halen Verdict Vote_lcap5%Van Halen Verdict Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Van Halen Verdict Vote_lcap25%Van Halen Verdict Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 5 ]
Van Halen Verdict Vote_lcap20%Van Halen Verdict Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

Poll Van Halen Verdict

Post by SawGreen Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm

I've stumbled on a series of Van Halen videos and interviews, and I'm a bit conflicted on a verdict. DLR is the sentimental favorite, but not generally a likable guy. I thought the "coolest" tandem over the years has been Sammy and Michael. I cannot discount the nostalgia of the original lineup because it was raw and revolutionary, but I really appreciate the polish of the Hagar lineup. The sound was less raw, but much more full IMO, and Sammy did a decent job in covering David's vocals.

What do you think?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Van Halen Verdict

Post by Guest Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Gotta have Anthony there with either front man to provide the sweet harmonies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Anthony was a great backup voice. Liked the early stuff with DLR but give the overall nod to Hagar.

Meanwhile, have been watching Valerie Bertinelli on her Food Network show. Still attractive but her giddiness has deflated my old bonar.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm

When kid rock was asked that question with Sammy Hagar in the room he said, "Man, DLR wrote runnin with the devil, you gotta bow down to that".
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm

DLR or get the fuck out
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Van Halen doesn't matter. I've always thought Eddie was overrated, too. He's amazing, obviously, but I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to straddling the line between playing stuff that sounds good and playing stuff that sounds impressive, he tends towards the show-off side.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm

gHost Spartan wrote: Rock is dead and no one idolizes guitar players anymore. So really the argument is Hendrix or Eddie.

Bullshit. It starts and ends with Michael Schenker. Neither of those two could hold his jock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:So really the argument is Hendrix or Eddie.

No, it's not. Hendrix is the alpha and omega. EVH is just a guy.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:Van Halen sucked. VH1 was a solid debut album but what followed was absolute garbage; VH could not write great songs and most of their hits were covers excluding "1984" which I think was their best album, with VH1 a close second and the rest you can just toss in the dumpster. Their evolution from rockers to arena rock/pop was absolutely embarrassing and, looking back, I'm actually shocked that they remained as popular as they were. Sammy Hagar was not as good of a frontman as David Lee Roth but in the end I don't think it really mattered that much because Eddie was writing all of those stupid love songs so the frontman was irrelevant. Overall, VH was a very good rock band with shitty songwriting that managed to stay relevant for about a decade. That's really about it. Eddie will always be considered one of the best and, really, does it matter anymore? Rock is dead and no one idolizes guitar players anymore. So really the argument is Hendrix or Eddie.
Just for clarity...are you blaming Eddie's love songs on Valerie?

Your guitar list is much too short.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote: Rock is dead and no one idolizes guitar players anymore. So really the argument is Hendrix or Eddie.

Bullshit. It starts and ends with Michael Schenker. Neither of those two could hold his jock.

Van Halen Verdict Anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Van Halen Verdict Anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12

Dead serious.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Sammy
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Dead serious.

I have lost respect for you today. Tahquamenon dope week is OFF!
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:45 am

I just want to say that I could not possibly care any less.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

It may be heresy but I don't think the early VH stuff holds up well compared to other bands from the same era.

The Sammy stuff is much better, but then again I've been a huge Sammy fan since Montrose.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 am

gHost Spartan wrote:Listen to "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Why Can't This Be Love" and you've answered your own question. Two completely different bands.

That change occurred before Sammy (pretty much at the time Eddie added keyboards). Sadly a lot of bands lost their edge the more mainstream they became.

SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:Van Halen sucked. VH1 was a solid debut album but what followed was absolute garbage; VH could not write great songs and most of their hits were covers excluding "1984" which I think was their best album, with VH1 a close second and the rest you can just toss in the dumpster. Their evolution from rockers to arena rock/pop was absolutely embarrassing and, looking back, I'm actually shocked that they remained as popular as they were. Sammy Hagar was not as good of a frontman as David Lee Roth but in the end I don't think it really mattered that much because Eddie was writing all of those stupid love songs so the frontman was irrelevant. Overall, VH was a very good rock band with shitty songwriting that managed to stay relevant for about a decade. That's really about it. Eddie will always be considered one of the best and, really, does it matter anymore? Rock is dead and no one idolizes guitar players anymore. So really the argument is Hendrix or Eddie.
[quote="gHost Spartan"]

You ever listen to Fair Warning?  It's their best album
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm

I prefer Van Halen circa '82 and before.. I think David Lee Roth is a total tool but he was a great front man. They were almost an entirely different band with a different sound with Sammy Hagar.. and it wasn't bad, necessarily - just a bit more polished.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm

kingstonlake wrote:When kid rock was asked that question with Sammy Hagar in the room he said, "Man, DLR wrote runnin with the devil, you gotta bow down to that".
now there is someone whose taste in music is nothing short of admirable. His opinion carries incredible weight.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:When kid rock was asked that question with Sammy Hagar in the room he said, "Man, DLR wrote runnin with the devil, you gotta bow down to that".
now there is someone whose taste in music is nothing short of admirable. His opinion carries incredible weight.

Well he was at least able to recognize that runnin with the devil was better than any song by Van Halen during the Hagar era.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 pm

This is spot on. Van Halen, after the first album and with a few random exceptions, took the Phil Collins route to stardom.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:55 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

This is spot on. Van Halen, after the first album and with a few random exceptions, took the Phil Collins route to stardom.

i disagree. VHI, VHII, Fair warning, and Women and Children first were all solid as hell. Diver Down was the beginning of the end. 5150 was a turd.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:58 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

It happens when you start writing songs for chicks.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Say what you want but Van Halen with DLR will always be classic. "Aint Talking About Love" was the pinnacle.

After that meh but still better than say the Smiths
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm

SawGreen wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:Listen to "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Why Can't This Be Love" and you've answered your own question. Two completely different bands.

That change occurred before Sammy (pretty much at the time Eddie added keyboards). Sadly a lot of bands lost their edge the more mainstream they became.

The 80's are full of bands that sold out. Def Leppard is a great example. On Through The Night was good...raw but good. High 'N Dry was unfuckingbelieveable. Pyromania was a very good album and made a crap ton of money but was nowhere near the album High 'N Dry was. Hysteria was a sell out and every album after that had 1 popish song that sold a ton of records.

Motley Crue is the same. Too Fast for Love was a very good album. Shout at the Devil is top 10 in my book. Unreal... then they wanted to cash in and made Theatre of Pain and Girls, Girls, Girls. Not bad albums but clearly the focus was on selling records and not making music that was respected.

Van Halen is the same although they changed singers. I've seen the original VH live, Van Hager, Van Halen with Wolfie and DLR and Sammy with Michael Anthony. I enjoyed the Sammy concert more than any of the others. Sammy just wants to play music. He's invested well and has more money than he needs. He just likes playing. Eddie is an egotistical ass that plays well but has too many issues to overlook. While I like the old VH music better the band was very commercial and made a ton of $$$ with Sammy behind the mike.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Snake Plissken wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

The 80's are full of bands that sold out. Def Leppard is a great example. On Through The Night was good...raw but good. High 'N Dry was unfuckingbelieveable. Pyromania was a very good album and made a crap ton of money but was nowhere near the album High 'N Dry was. Hysteria was a sell out and every album after that had 1 popish song that sold a ton of records.

Motley Crue is the same. Too Fast for Love was a very good album. Shout at the Devil is top 10 in my book. Unreal... then they wanted to cash in and made Theatre of Pain and Girls, Girls, Girls. Not bad albums but clearly the focus was on selling records and not making music that was respected.

Van Halen is the same although they changed singers. I've seen the original VH live, Van Hager, Van Halen with Wolfie and DLR and Sammy with Michael Anthony. I enjoyed the Sammy concert more than any of the others. Sammy just wants to play music. He's invested well and has more money than he needs. He just likes playing. Eddie is an egotistical ass that plays well but has too many issues to overlook. While I like the old VH music better the band was very commercial and made a ton of $$$ with Sammy behind the mike.

Hysteria may have been a bit of a sell-out, but that album was still rock-fucking-solid. Maybe not as good as the stuff that came before, but still damn good. Everything after Hysteria was a musical abortion, but Hysteria is alright.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 am

For me their music stands the test of time 100%. Don't know shit about guitars but I loved EV guitar sound. That throaty sound it had on songs like beautiful girls, Unchained, etc. That era could tend to favor some pretty light weight shit rock and roll wise. VH had some junk towards the end, agreed. Saw them live in 1980 at Cobo. Fucking awesome and pure rock and roll. Not this political shit you see today. Not social conscious BS. Rock and roll and fun. To me that's a pure form of RR to appreciate.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:For me their music stands the test of time 100%. Don't know shit about guitars but I loved EV guitar sound. That throaty sound it had on songs like beautiful girls, Unchained, etc. That era could tend to favor some pretty light weight shit rock and roll wise. VH had some junk towards the end, agreed. Saw them live in 1980 at Cobo. Fucking awesome and pure rock and roll. Not this political shit you see today. Not social conscious BS. Rock and roll and fun. To me that's a pure form of RR to appreciate.

Political shit from today? WTF are you talking about? There's barely any rock bands anymore! Do you not realize that some of the greatest rock of all time was politically inspired during the 60s and 70s?

I think I've finally come around that rock is pretty much dead. I'm now the equivalent of my parents listening to Lawrence Welk (just a bit louder).
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 pm

SawGreen wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Political shit from today? WTF are you talking about? There's barely any rock bands anymore! Do you not realize that some of the greatest rock of all time was politically inspired during the 60s and 70s?

I think I've finally come around that rock is pretty much dead. I'm now the equivalent of my parents listening to Lawrence Welk (just a bit louder).

White trash folk like me will always listen to AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd. There are precious few things in life that never change, but that is one of them. No generation of white trash that has ever yet existed has been immune to the siren song...

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Eddie Trunk: What should Van Halen do?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 am

gHost Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:For me their music stands the test of time 100%. Don't know shit about guitars but I loved EV guitar sound. That throaty sound it had on songs like beautiful girls, Unchained, etc. That era could tend to favor some pretty light weight shit rock and roll wise. VH had some junk towards the end, agreed. Saw them live in 1980 at Cobo. Fucking awesome and pure rock and roll. Not this political shit you see today. Not social conscious BS. Rock and roll and fun. To me that's a pure form of RR to appreciate.

Understood, and grassroots movement. I'm referencing green day (who I love), and other garbage today's whiny BS isn't even comparable to late 60's early 70's imho.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down