Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZZ Top verdict

2 posters

Go down

ZZ Top verdict Empty ZZ Top verdict

Post by kingstonlake 2017-04-24, 07:37

The Van Halen thread got me thinking.

I think it's undeniable that ZZ Top went the sellout route in the late 80's / 90's. But for my money their music stands the test of time.

What do you guys think? Sellout or Rock legends?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

ZZ Top verdict Empty Re: ZZ Top verdict

Post by Guest 2017-04-24, 08:13

kingstonlake wrote:The Van Halen thread got me thinking.

I think it's undeniable that ZZ Top went the sellout route in the late 80's / 90's. But for my money their music stands the test of time.

What do you guys think? Sellout or Rock legends?

I love ZZ up through DeGuello. I don't hate the 80s stuff it just doesn't hold up as well for me.

Favorite songs:
Heard it on the X
Just got paid
Back door love affair

My ZZTop story. While I was at MSU and I think it was the deGuello tour ZZ played the Lansing Civic Center. I had 10th row seats right on the center aisle. They broke into Heard it on the X and I jumped up on my chair and started cheering. Someone behind me was less than enthused about either the song or my dance moves and threw a Jack Daniels bottle. Said bottle hit me right square in the back and knocked me off the chair. Shrugged it off and continued the party. The next morning I woke up with a bruise matching the perfect outline of a JD bottle.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2017-04-24, 09:00

brush with greatness - I lived in Houston for a while, played some beer league softball and one year there was a team in our league sponsored by Frank Beard who played on the team. The only disappointment was that Billy & Dusty never came out to a game.
(sidenote - I also lived, for awhile, in the same neighborhood as Marvin Zindler, who closed chicken ranch/whorehouse in LaGrange which provided the backstory for the song LaGrange)

csb (my vote, obv - legend) - haw haw haw haw .... I might be mistaken
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down