Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers

+13
Black Dutch
pulling69
WBill
Phil McCrackin
SpartanGuard
Cool Runnings
Turtleneck
xsanguine
Cosmo_Kramer
Izzo Court
maizegoblue
Robert J Sakimano
Bizarro Fletch
17 posters

Go down

The Killers are...

Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_lcap58%Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 15 ]
Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_lcap31%Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 8 ]
Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_lcap11%Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 26

Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Empty Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers

Post by Bizarro Fletch 5/19/2014, 9:01 am

Caught The Killers live set from Hangout Fest this weekend and was really impressed. Lead singer has a powerhouse voice and they've amassed an impressive catalog of tunes over the years.

But then I got worried that The Killers may be a little too "RCMB" and not enough "Swill", so I reconsidered liking them. I need a ruling from the cool kids of tSwill before proceeding. TIA.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Empty Re: Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers

Post by Robert J Sakimano 5/19/2014, 9:35 am

I've actually always liked The Killers.. I caught the live show on Palladia Saturday night, too... yeah, they're pop-ish, etc - but there is nothing wrong with a good pop song or pop band as long as it's not the syrupy, sweet manufactured stuff.

and, you're right - Brandon Flowers does have a really big, grandiose voice.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers Empty Re: Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers

Post by maizegoblue 5/19/2014, 9:52 am

I am Mr. Brightside.
maizegoblue
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 5/19/2014, 10:36 am

maizegoblue wrote:I am Mr. Brightside.

Unique cover of that song.

Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 5/19/2014, 10:38 am

The Killers are pretty cool, would enjoy seeing them live

Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 5/19/2014, 10:43 am

I've always dug The Killers and have braved my sexuality coming into question because of this opinion.

No fucks given, of course.

Sam's Town is as close to a masterpiece as there's been in the past 15 years. Ronnie Vannucci Jr. is the best mainstream rock drummer since Jimmy Chamberlin.

He's got soul but he's not a soldier.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 5/19/2014, 10:49 am

They're still writing great shit...

Even if they do plagiarize Steve Winwood melodies hoping no one will notice...

I hope Steve sues the shit out of them.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/19/2014, 10:50 am

xsanguine wrote:I've always dug The Killers and have braved my sexuality coming into question because of this opinion.

Sam's Town is as close to a masterpiece as there's been in the past 15 years. Ronnie Vannucci Jr. is the best mainstream rock drummer since Jimmy Chamberlin.

Quick, listen to this and it will be ok.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 5/19/2014, 10:53 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Quick, listen to this and it will be ok.

I'm just glad I didn't fall down the rabbit hole into a sea of cocks. Thanks for the assist +1
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings 5/19/2014, 10:57 am

Always been a fan. Hot Fuss is still one of my favorite summer driving albums.
Cool Runnings
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by maizegoblue 5/19/2014, 11:04 am

Izzo Court wrote:

Unique cover of that song.

I like it. Thanks for posting.
maizegoblue
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanGuard 5/19/2014, 12:43 pm

xsanguine wrote:I've always dug The Killers and have braved my sexuality coming into question because of this opinion.

I couldn't agree more--they're one of my favorite bands and this is my favorite of their albums. I saw them at EMU in December 2012 with Tek Jansen and it was a great show.
SpartanGuard
SpartanGuard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 5/19/2014, 12:49 pm

SpartanGuard wrote:

I couldn't agree more--they're one of my favorite bands and this is my favorite of their albums. I saw them at EMU in December 2012 with Tek Jansen and it was a great show.

Nice! I haven't seen them since 2007 (the Sam's Town tour at Fox theater) but they were pretty damn good.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 5/19/2014, 12:53 pm

I've seen them live a few times and they're great. Really fun band and they put on a hell of a show.
Hot Fuss and Sam's Town were great. Everything else... meh.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 5/19/2014, 12:54 pm

Somebody told me they were good.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 5/19/2014, 7:33 pm

Saw them play in Pittsburgh last September at a show put on by Labatt, you had to win your way in. They are very good live and I got very drunk at the show.

pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Dutch 5/19/2014, 7:44 pm

Never could get over the fake British accent. If it's on the radio, I won't change the channel...but I'm not buying all their albums and following their tour.
Black Dutch
Black Dutch
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/19/2014, 8:43 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:Yes, they are good live, but then again so are the Goo Goo Dolls

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 5/20/2014, 3:16 am

gHost Spartan wrote:

I started a thread on tCock about The Killers in 2004, prior to the U.S. release of their first album, and I think I posted a link to the BBC John Peel version of Mr. Brightside and one other track. Mr. Brightside is a masterpiece, as a pop song. It's really really really good. The Killers have a handful of solid pop songs but IMO there are too many really bad songs. The lyrics can be just brutal. Yes, they are good live, but then again so are the Goo Goo Dolls, from what I've heard anyway.

I started a thread in 2008 proclaiming the killers, killer. Most agreed except you. Therefore I knew I was right.  cheers 
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 5/20/2014, 8:07 am

Black Dutch wrote:Never could get over the fake British accent.   If it's on the radio, I won't change the channel...but I'm not buying all their albums and following their tour.
don't sing with a fake British accent..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanGuard 5/20/2014, 8:39 am

Black Dutch wrote:Never could get over the fake British accent.   If it's on the radio, I won't change the channel...but I'm not buying all their albums and following their tour.

I don't hear a fake British accent...are you sure you're listening to the Killers? Brandon Flowers's singing voice isn't that different from his speaking voice. Do people from Nevada/Utah have a particular accent?
SpartanGuard
SpartanGuard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 5/20/2014, 8:44 am

SpartanGuard wrote:

I don't hear a fake British accent...are you sure you're listening to the Killers? Brandon Flowers's singing voice isn't that different from his speaking voice. Do people from Nevada/Utah have a particular accent?

If you listen carefully, the lyrics actually say "I'm Mr. Brightside, mate."
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 5/20/2014, 8:48 am

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

If you listen carefully, the lyrics actually say "I'm Mr. Brightside, mate."
Stop confusing us with fucking Australians  Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers 4198636888
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 5/20/2014, 8:52 am

Cym Jim wrote:
Stop confusing us with fucking Australians  Need an official cool kids ruling on The Killers 4198636888

What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 5/20/2014, 8:54 am

I've caught that Royal Albert Hall show a few times on TV.  Pretty electric atmosphere.  Beautifully shot, too.

Glad to see tSwill is down with some fun pop rock once in a while.  Not everything I listen to needs to have a deep, introspective message.

Last edited by Bizarro Fletch on 5/20/2014, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 5/20/2014, 8:54 am

Cym Jim wrote:

Do you guys put the shrimps on the barbie?
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 5/20/2014, 9:00 am

I do admit, however, this can certainly be filed under #thingswhitepeoplelike.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 5/20/2014, 10:18 am

Fake British accent?

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA 5/20/2014, 10:43 am

I've owned 2 CDs in my lifetime, Hot Fuss and Tha Carter 2. Very diverse taste in music as a 7th grader.
BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 9/8/2014, 6:23 am

I've been listening to Battle Born lately and think it's just as good if not better than Sam's Town (although I think When You Were Young is easily the best song of their career). They're not the most original band out there, but meh, what do you expect from a Mormon.

I do like to see some growth from bands and the way The Killers have risen from Flowers being solo vocally (whom is inconsistent but when he's on is on) every song to they're now implementing 3 and 4 part harmonies as well as ghosting backing vocals shows they're either taking their music even more seriously or they just throw tons of money at the best producers (Steve Lillywhite, Flood, etc)... either way it's working.

A Matter Of Time

Runaways

Here With Me - Live (Letterman)
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Narwhal 1/12/2015, 3:44 pm

Bizarro Fletch wrote:Caught The Killers live set from Hangout Fest this weekend and was really impressed. Lead singer has a powerhouse voice and they've amassed an impressive catalog of tunes over the years.

But then I got worried that The Killers may be a little too "RCMB" and not enough "Swill", so I reconsidered liking them. I need a ruling from the cool kids of tSwill before proceeding. TIA.

Ok sorry for the late response. I too was at the Hangout and the people I was with decided to skip the Killers and instead go see Pretty Lights. Best call all weekend! Prolly the most fun we had at The Hangout!!
Narwhal
Narwhal
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down