Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down?

+18
Travis of the Cosmos
Blanch32
TheReal_LWS
BleacherSwill
WhiteBoyHatcher
xsanguine
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
DWags
GRR Spartan
Gomer
tGreenWay
The_Dude
NigelUno
tanfan!
Rocinante
InTenSity
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forgiveness or Hammer

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Vote_lcap73%Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]
Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Vote_lcap27%Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Empty Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down?

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 12:00

On Friday I had to go to Grayling for some heart tests.   After I was done I met my daughter, son in law and eldest son for lunch.
We decided on a local place that recently changed hands.  We were kind of hoping the food had improved and it was far enough
away from downtown that it wasn't too crowded from the canoe race people.

Long story short - the service stunk.  The food was mediocre or worse.   The bill was around $40.   I paid using a debit card
and added a pretty skimpy tip - $4.00.   Seriously it was more than the waitress deserved.   With only 3 other tables in the
place we waited over 25 minutes just to order and it got worse from there.

This particular debit card is kind of funky in that they always email me the preliminary hold amount then a few days later I
get the final amount.   Those two amounts really only vary at gas stations and restaurants.  Friday afternoon i got the preliminary
amount - it was correct.   Last night I got the "final" amount and someone had added $10 to the bill.   I'm assuming the waitress
didn't like her tip.

I called the place last night, the owner returned my call this morning and asked that I not contact anyone else until she had time to
deal with it.   I understand her point of view but this is fraud and I've seen wait staff go to jail for it.   The question I have is how
many other people haven't noticed her doing this?   Do I honor the owner's request or contact the Sheriff's office?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Empty Re: Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down?

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-02, 12:06

LooseGoose wrote:On Friday I had to go to Grayling for some heart tests.   After I was done I met my daughter, son in law and eldest son for lunch.
We decided on a local place that recently changed hands.  We were kind of hoping the food had improved and it was far enough
away from downtown that it wasn't too crowded from the canoe race people.

Long story short - the service stunk.  The food was mediocre or worse.   The bill was around $40.   I paid using a debit card
and added a pretty skimpy tip - $4.00.   Seriously it was more than the waitress deserved.   With only 3 other tables in the
place we waited over 25 minutes just to order and it got worse from there.

This particular debit card is kind of funky in that they always email me the preliminary hold amount then a few days later I
get the final amount.   Those two amounts really only vary at gas stations and restaurants.  Friday afternoon i got the preliminary
amount - it was correct.   Last night I got the "final" amount and someone had added $10 to the bill.   I'm assuming the waitress
didn't like her tip.

I called the place last night, the owner returned my call this morning and asked that I not contact anyone else until she had time to
deal with it.   I understand her point of view but this is fraud and I've seen wait staff go to jail for it.   The question I have is how
many other people haven't noticed her doing this?   Do I honor the owner's request or contact the Sheriff's office?
I wouldn't say forgive, but I also wouldn't say go to the Sheriff with it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? Empty Re: Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down?

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 12:12

Did the owner give you a timeline when she would call you back?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 12:22

Rocinante wrote:Did the owner give you a timeline when she would call you back?

Before closing tonight.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-02, 12:25

I'd go back to the restaurant and have a face to face with the waitres and the manager.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-02, 12:26

Contact your credit card company.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-02, 12:33

Dont go to the Sheriff over $10.

Contact your bank and say that its a fraudulent charge and they will charge it back.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-02, 12:34

A restaurant should batch out your total (tip included) at the end of the night. Not sure why it would show up in separate amounts.

If she doesn't refund your money, call your credit card company. You probably should have done that already (unless you want to be nice and give her a chance to rectify it...maybe it was a mistake).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 12:35

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Did the owner give you a timeline when she would call you back?

Before closing tonight.

Give her that much time. Maybe it's her daughter, or niece or something. If you don't have to fuck up someone's life because of a stupid mistake, maybe don't. If she gives you a satisfactory answer, acknowledging the crime, maybe let it go.

Having done a lot of stupid things as a young person, that's my perspective anyway.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-02, 12:37

Tanfan! wrote:I'd go back to the restaurant and have a face to face with the waitres and the manager.
Like a menage a trois?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-02, 12:38

Go to small claims court!!!

- Tanfan
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 12:42

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Before closing tonight.

Give her that much time. Maybe it's her daughter, or niece or something. If you don't have to fuck up someone's life because of a stupid mistake, maybe don't. If she gives you a satisfactory answer, acknowledging the crime, maybe let it go.

Having done a lot of stupid things as a young person, that's my perspective anyway.

That's sort of where I'm at. My daughter thinks I'm being a softy. If they don't call back and ignore me then I might change my mind.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-02, 12:47

NigelUno wrote:Go to small claims court!!!

- Tanfan

Jesus, Nigel. STFU, already.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-02, 12:54

I'd put it on the owner. If she calls back and has discovered it has happened to more than just you, I'd say she needs to contact the cops and if she doesn't, then you should.
If you get the feeling you're being lied to, or getting blown off, then maybe a call to the cops is in order.
If it's a one-time fuck up, a temporary lapse of judgment, I'd let it slide.
Hell of a moral conundrum over $6, but you don't know how many other times this has happened.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-02, 12:55

Im glad I dont live up North. Food scene would kill me.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-08-02, 12:57

Loose has bad karma? Whodathunkdit.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-08-02, 12:57

I would call your credit card company ASAP and stop payment to that vendor.

In today's interconnected world the credit card company, Visa/Mastercard/Discover, will at least be on the lookout for other overcharges from that establishment.

I have a hard time believing you are the only customer whose tip amount was altered.  Another scam could be the proprietor and that would be shady times 2.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 12:59

The_Dude wrote:Im glad I dont live up North. Food scene would kill me.

lol, depends on what you like. TC has a very good variety right now but that's too far for me to drive for a meal.

Locally there was a real hidden gem but they closed last fall. Literally on the level of the Lark. I've been weeping ever since.

There are 3-4 decent "local" restaurants within 10-15 miles and another 2-3 that try to be more but aren't.

You're very correct in the sense that there's very little variety or good ethnic food up here. You have to get that when you're
traveling.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-02, 13:00

Well shit, there's something else I never do that I will now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 13:01

tGreenWay wrote:I'd put it on the owner. If she calls back and has discovered it has happened to more than just you, I'd say she needs to contact the cops and if she doesn't, then you should.
If you get the feeling you're being lied to, or getting blown off, then maybe a call to the cops is in order.
Hell of a moral conundrum over $6, but you don't know how many other times this has happened.
Just for clarity it was $10....tip went from $4 to $14.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-02, 13:01

GRR Spartan wrote:I would call your credit card company ASAP and stop payment to that vendor.

In today's interconnected world the credit card company, Visa/Mastercard/Discover, will at least be on the lookout for other overcharges from that establishment.

I have a hard time believing you are the only customer whose tip amount was altered.  Another scam could be the proprietor and that would be shady times 2.

I considered this possibility, too. Overcharge the customer and split the difference.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-08-02, 13:03

4 adults and the total bill was $40? Gotta love small Midwestern towns.

In any event, I would suggest you give the restaurant a chance to rectify it. Maybe there was a legit mistake (i.e., they misread your handwriting, or a typo when entering into their system). Give them the benefit of the doubt, until they give you reason not to. Obviously, you have your copy of the receipt as proof of what you intended to pay.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 13:10

MiamiSpartan wrote:4 adults and the total bill was $40? Gotta love small Midwestern towns.

In any event, I would suggest you give the restaurant a chance to rectify it. Maybe there was a legit mistake (i.e., they misread your handwriting, or a typo when entering into their system). Give them the benefit of the doubt, until they give you reason not to. Obviously, you have your copy of the receipt as proof of what you intended to pay.

lol, yep....Burger and Fries for around $7 - Fish basket (it was the Friday special) for $8. Standard pricing areas for the "local" restaurants up here for lunch time.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-02, 13:24

32X32
5'10"
168 lbs
112/72 mmHg
42 RHR

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-08-02, 13:27

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? 061c21ddbd55cd33369bb84a94ebffca

Don't get the cops involved over $10 though. Unleash holy hell on the owner if she doesn't make this right though.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-02, 13:27

tGreenWay wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:I would call your credit card company ASAP and stop payment to that vendor.

I considered this possibility, too. Overcharge the customer and split the difference.

The owner and waitress conspired to get an extra $5 each?

Forgiveness or try to Bring the Hammer Down? 502811600

Sounds like someone accidentally entered a 1 ($14.00 instead of $4.00).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-02, 13:30

The 1 and the 4 are right next to each other on the keypad. Could be a case of fat fingers.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-02, 13:31

InTenSity wrote:The 1 and the 4 are right next to each other on the keypad. Could be a case of fat fingers.

That would have to be Blanch Girl friend fat
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-02, 13:35

Some podunk bank called me about $9000 in charges I made after I (someone else) opened an account. I was like...yeah...your fraud department sucks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-08-02, 15:27

Well, the good news is you know where the waitress works.

So...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-02, 15:30

InTenSity wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:I'd go back to the restaurant and have a face to face with the waitres and the manager.
Like a menage a trois?

Exactly.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-02, 15:32

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I'd put it on the owner. If she calls back and has discovered it has happened to more than just you, I'd say she needs to contact the cops and if she doesn't, then you should.
Just for clarity it was $10....tip went from $4 to $14.

She's got to pay for gas bro
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-08-02, 15:42

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

$10 x how many out of town customers ( let's say 5 per day)x 7 days a week x 15 week tourist season is a $5250 summer bonus and that's enough to be interesting.

Unlike Goose, I probably wouldn't have noticed until I got the next statement and then I'm dealing with did I or didn't I add right etc.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-08-02, 15:44

what restaurant. spill.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-08-02, 15:48

GRR Spartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

$10 x how many out of town customers ( let's say 5 per day)x 7 days a week x 15 week tourist season is a $5250 summer bonus and that's enough to be interesting.

Unlike Goose, I probably wouldn't have noticed until I got the next statement and then I'm dealing with did I or didn't I add right etc.

Yep. Maybe this is foreign out here but this shit happens all the time in cities like NYC and Chicago.... only ones I can speak to first hand, but I'm sure the "down to earth" country folk take advantage of this, too.

I draw strong lines on either side of the numbers and make it very clear which numbers are which when I fill out a restaurant tip bill. Not fool proof but gives them pause... maybe I took a pic with my phone? Take a chance you you thieving fucks...

Mistakes do happen, but... I'd assume the situation as them trying to fuck me out of money before I just go all midwestern and assume young Mandy who can't handle 3 tables accidently increased her shitty tip by $10.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-08-02, 15:52

Don't know how true but I have been told that restaurants and gas stations are the number one credit card fraud risk locations.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 15:52

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:what restaurant. spill.

You'd know it, right on your way. Used to be the Old Barn, now Tinker's Junction.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-02, 15:53

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I said I considered it. I didn't say I thought that's what happened. It's not entirely far-fetched if it happens a couple of times a day, or more. A few bucks here and a few more there, and suddenly you're talking a decent enough amount to pay a bill or two each month.

As for your accident theory? That's unlikely. This sounds more like a deliberate act.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-08-02, 15:54

Indeed. Never stopped in there before.

Next time drive another 10 minutes and go to Shirley's. Wink
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-02, 15:55

DWags wrote:
InTenSity wrote:The 1 and the 4 are right next to each other on the keypad. Could be a case of fat fingers.

That would have to be Blanch Girl friend fat

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next