Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-11, 10:14

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Campers at Michigan state parks might have to buy firewood on site in 2018

Money grab.

Cloaked in "saving the trees" clothes.   Lots of people making some beer money from selling firewood and I guess that bothers the State.  

Tell me how this differs from what they're proposing?

or stopping by the mom-and-pop vendors whose wood-bundle displays dot the roads leading to many parks.

that's local wood just as they're proposing selling.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-11, 10:20

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Money grab.

Cloaked in "saving the trees" clothes.   Lots of people making some beer money from selling firewood and I guess that bothers the State.  

Tell me how this differs from what they're proposing?

or stopping by the mom-and-pop vendors whose wood-bundle displays dot the roads leading to many parks.

that's local wood just as they're proposing selling.

So where locally is the state park going to get all this wood? It's not a renewable thing. Plus I am sure they will be smart people and cut down living trees to sell for firewood that won't burn anyways. Seems like a good way to wipe out a forest quickly in a local area.
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2017-07-11, 11:22

LooseGoose wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:City of Manistique has done a helluva job turning what was a swamp into a very nice upscale camp ground.

First year of operation.  So far a hidden gem but that won't last long.  Each site has a ped with electricity, wifi and cable along with running water and sewer hook up.

https://manistiquelakeshorecampground.org

Holy cow...we're going to the UP for a week or so Sept so checked a few nights around the 10th.  $50 a night??   Sorry, I'm too cheap for that, lol.   I still just back off a fire trail in the woods and camp, much more isolation all the selection of sites in the world.

$40/$45/$50 per night is steep.  I have in-laws who retired in the area and we visited over the holiday.  I was surprised by the number of full size RV's, full trailers 20' or longer and big 5th wheels on I75 and Highway 2.  At least 50% of the big RV's were hauling compact cars.

Its not my style of camping.  The city is appealing to the top end of the market and those whose who, along with children and grandchildren want those ammenities. I forgot to mention the galvanized fire pits with the swing away grill for cooking.

Re Camp fire wood:

The DEQ wants to stop people from bringing in vermin infested wood from who knows how many miles away and reduce the spread of disease that could further decimate who forests of particular species. If they had had similar rules in the 1950's and 1960's we might still have elms.
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-11, 12:31

GRR Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Holy cow...we're going to the UP for a week or so Sept so checked a few nights around the 10th.  $50 a night??   Sorry, I'm too cheap for that, lol.   I still just back off a fire trail in the woods and camp, much more isolation all the selection of sites in the world.

$40/$45/$50 per night is steep.  I have in-laws who retired in the area and we visited over the holiday.  I was surprised by the number of full size RV's, full trailers 20' or longer and big 5th wheels on I75 and Highway 2.  At least 50% of the big RV's were hauling compact cars.

Its not my style of camping.  The city is appealing to the top end of the market and those whose who, along with children and grandchildren want those ammenities. I forgot to mention the galvanized fire pits with the swing away grill for cooking.

Re Camp fire wood:

The DEQ wants to stop people from bringing in vermin infested wood from who knows how many miles away and reduce the spread of disease that could further decimate who forests of particular species. If they had had similar rules in the 1950's and 1960's we might still have elms.

If they were worried about the spread of disease they should have been on it a long time ago. It is to late now.
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2017-07-11, 13:19

Better late than never. A lot like the Kalamazoo River oil spill was a wake up for blindly trusting zen bridge, a lot of state legislators never saw the destruction until it hit in their communities or property.

It's never too late
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-13, 09:38

25 of Michigan's must-visit rustic campgrounds

Every season in Michigan is ripe for outdoor adventure, but if you’re looking for a longer trip into the wilderness, you can’t beat a summer camping excursion in the Mitten State. With access to four Great Lakes and countless tributaries that flow into them, you’re never far from recreation opportunities no matter where you set up camp. If you’re looking to avoid getting squeezed into rows of fifth-wheel trailers and 45-foot RVs, Michigan’s rustic campgrounds are what you want. The state has hundreds of rustic camping opportunities, so we relied on input from our outdoor gurus to pick out 25 of Michigan’s best. All campgrounds come with the bare essentials – picnic tables and fire pits – and most offer the hospitality of an outhouse-style restroom and a water pump, so if “roughing it” is your camping method of choice, follow along to see some of the best sites the state has to offer.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-14, 10:33

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 20m20 minutes ago
More
#Michigan #ArcticGrayling Initiative releases action plan for restoring species to state waters https://lnks.gd/2/56qTxr #MiFish

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-26, 11:06

Caseville's beaches should be on this list....

The 10 absolutely best beaches in Michigan

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose Yesterday at 16:07

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 36m36 minutes ago
More
Love your #stateparks? Lend a hand at upcoming #volunteer workdays throughout southern #Michigan https://lnks.gd/2/5_NmWH #MiParks

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum