Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Michigan State Parks Thread

+22
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
Senior Dickfist
CheesySpartan
CaptainSlow33
Jake from State Farm
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
NigelUno
The Pantry
duffy munn
Herbie Green
Wally Fairway
Dendrobates
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
26 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by Guest 2017-07-11, 10:14

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Campers at Michigan state parks might have to buy firewood on site in 2018

Money grab.

Cloaked in "saving the trees" clothes.   Lots of people making some beer money from selling firewood and I guess that bothers the State.  

Tell me how this differs from what they're proposing?

or stopping by the mom-and-pop vendors whose wood-bundle displays dot the roads leading to many parks.

that's local wood just as they're proposing selling.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by aualum06 2017-07-11, 10:20

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Money grab.

Cloaked in "saving the trees" clothes.   Lots of people making some beer money from selling firewood and I guess that bothers the State.  

Tell me how this differs from what they're proposing?

or stopping by the mom-and-pop vendors whose wood-bundle displays dot the roads leading to many parks.

that's local wood just as they're proposing selling.

So where locally is the state park going to get all this wood? It's not a renewable thing. Plus I am sure they will be smart people and cut down living trees to sell for firewood that won't burn anyways. Seems like a good way to wipe out a forest quickly in a local area.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-11, 11:22

LooseGoose wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:City of Manistique has done a helluva job turning what was a swamp into a very nice upscale camp ground.

First year of operation.  So far a hidden gem but that won't last long.  Each site has a ped with electricity, wifi and cable along with running water and sewer hook up.

https://manistiquelakeshorecampground.org

Holy cow...we're going to the UP for a week or so Sept so checked a few nights around the 10th.  $50 a night??   Sorry, I'm too cheap for that, lol.   I still just back off a fire trail in the woods and camp, much more isolation all the selection of sites in the world.

$40/$45/$50 per night is steep.  I have in-laws who retired in the area and we visited over the holiday.  I was surprised by the number of full size RV's, full trailers 20' or longer and big 5th wheels on I75 and Highway 2.  At least 50% of the big RV's were hauling compact cars.

Its not my style of camping.  The city is appealing to the top end of the market and those whose who, along with children and grandchildren want those ammenities. I forgot to mention the galvanized fire pits with the swing away grill for cooking.

Re Camp fire wood:

The DEQ wants to stop people from bringing in vermin infested wood from who knows how many miles away and reduce the spread of disease that could further decimate who forests of particular species. If they had had similar rules in the 1950's and 1960's we might still have elms.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-07-11, 12:31

GRR Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Holy cow...we're going to the UP for a week or so Sept so checked a few nights around the 10th.  $50 a night??   Sorry, I'm too cheap for that, lol.   I still just back off a fire trail in the woods and camp, much more isolation all the selection of sites in the world.

$40/$45/$50 per night is steep.  I have in-laws who retired in the area and we visited over the holiday.  I was surprised by the number of full size RV's, full trailers 20' or longer and big 5th wheels on I75 and Highway 2.  At least 50% of the big RV's were hauling compact cars.

Its not my style of camping.  The city is appealing to the top end of the market and those whose who, along with children and grandchildren want those ammenities. I forgot to mention the galvanized fire pits with the swing away grill for cooking.

Re Camp fire wood:

The DEQ wants to stop people from bringing in vermin infested wood from who knows how many miles away and reduce the spread of disease that could further decimate who forests of particular species. If they had had similar rules in the 1950's and 1960's we might still have elms.

If they were worried about the spread of disease they should have been on it a long time ago. It is to late now.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-11, 13:19

Better late than never. A lot like the Kalamazoo River oil spill was a wake up for blindly trusting zen bridge, a lot of state legislators never saw the destruction until it hit in their communities or property.

It's never too late
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-13, 09:38

25 of Michigan's must-visit rustic campgrounds

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Run-off-7942e821b28ecfb9

Every season in Michigan is ripe for outdoor adventure, but if you’re looking for a longer trip into the wilderness, you can’t beat a summer camping excursion in the Mitten State. With access to four Great Lakes and countless tributaries that flow into them, you’re never far from recreation opportunities no matter where you set up camp. If you’re looking to avoid getting squeezed into rows of fifth-wheel trailers and 45-foot RVs, Michigan’s rustic campgrounds are what you want. The state has hundreds of rustic camping opportunities, so we relied on input from our outdoor gurus to pick out 25 of Michigan’s best. All campgrounds come with the bare essentials – picnic tables and fire pits – and most offer the hospitality of an outhouse-style restroom and a water pump, so if “roughing it” is your camping method of choice, follow along to see some of the best sites the state has to offer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-14, 10:33

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 20m20 minutes ago
More
#Michigan #ArcticGrayling Initiative releases action plan for restoring species to state waters https://lnks.gd/2/56qTxr #MiFish
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-26, 11:06

Caseville's beaches should be on this list....

The 10 absolutely best beaches in Michigan
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-27, 16:07

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 36m36 minutes ago
More
Love your #stateparks? Lend a hand at upcoming #volunteer workdays throughout southern #Michigan https://lnks.gd/2/5_NmWH #MiParks
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-07-28, 15:39

Was up in tTy country last week. Rented a house on Torch Lake with the family. At the house they had this rock statue thing. Of course my mom now wants one. They were selling them for $150 in Petoskey. F that. On the way home I pulled off at Barnes County Park on Lake Michigan to do some rock hunting. While sifting through rocks in the water I heard a cackle behind me, turned around and saw this fucker 30 yards from me. There was actually two, the second was off the left and I didn't see it till it took off after raven or some other bird. There was obviously a little territorial pissing match going on.

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 2017-015

Anyone know how to polish rocks?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-07-28, 15:45

LooseGoose wrote:Caseville's beaches should be on this list....

My buddy has a place between Caseville and Port Austin (closer to Port Austin). Short walk to the beach and yeah, it is awesome.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-07-28, 15:45

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Rock_tumbler_buy
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-07-28, 15:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Rock_tumbler_buy

lol...as an avid Amazon shopper, I did peruse their selection.

Then I remembered I had and old belt motor in the basement. I think it was from when my Grandpa died 20 years ago. Somehow found it, plugged it in and it worked. Now I gotta rig up some sort of tumbler on it... or not. Maybe just order a rock statue from Amazon.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-07-28, 15:52

Nordic wrote:
lol...as an avid Amazon shopper, I did peruse their selection.

Then I remembered I had and old belt motor in the basement. I think it was from when my Grandpa died 20 years ago. Somehow found it, plugged it in and it worked.  Now I gotta rig up some sort of tumbler on it... or not.  Maybe just order a rock statue from Amazon.

I've never undertaken rock polishing, so my advice is in bold red.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-28, 15:53

Nordic wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Caseville's beaches should be on this list....

My buddy has a place between Caseville and Port Austin (closer to Port Austin). Short walk to the beach and yeah, it is awesome.

I had a friend that had a place at Oak Beach (roughly where you're describing), his grandparents were right on the water and he had a back lot right behind them so it was pretty sweet. Spent many a summer weekend up there in the 80s and 90s.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-07-28, 15:58

LooseGoose wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I had a friend that had a place at Oak Beach (roughly where you're describing), his grandparents were right on the water and he had a back lot right behind them so it was pretty sweet. Spent many a summer weekend up there in the 80s and 90s.

Just googled mapped it... Oak Beach State Park is 1.7 miles from my buddies place. The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 1550444538
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-28, 16:03

Nordic wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Just googled mapped it... Oak Beach State Park is 1.7 miles from my buddies place. The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 1550444538

Depending on which way it's pretty close - I used to buy my Sunday paper and early coffee at the store right across from that park. Their place was a mile or so west of there, within a few houses of the Thompson County Park.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-03, 08:19

Never been here....anyone?

The U.P.'s "Grand Canyon" is like nowhere else in Michigan

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Canyonfalls1jpg-49a9961cd856da68
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-08-03, 08:30

LooseGoose wrote:Never been here....anyone?

The U.P.'s "Grand Canyon" is like nowhere else in Michigan

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Canyonfalls1jpg-49a9961cd856da68

I'm sort of ashamed that I've never heard of the U.P.'s "Grand Canyon" and now I want to check it out.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-05, 21:10

Where to find the best fall camping in Michigan

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 21689215-228968987633895-3908225101815873536-njpg-97668f6607c54977
Gazing up at Hartwick Pines State Park

By Emily Bingham | ebingham@mlive.com
Summer escapes are sweet, to be sure, but there's a lot to love about fall camping, too: Crisp mornings, gorgeous light, autumn color, and fewer folks to share it all with. Many of Michigan's campgrounds are open either through the fall or all year-round; we suggest packing up and heading out for a quick weekend getaway to soak up all the season has to offer.

Read on for a list of some of the state's best spots for fall camping, as suggested by the DNR's statewide recreation programmer, Maia Turek. And let us know in the comments if you have any favorite spots to add!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-19, 08:10

Sleeping Bear Dunes to increase entrance, camping fees in 2018

EMPIRE, MI - Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is increasing all its entrance and camping fees in 2018.

The decision made "after careful consideration" will begin on Jan. 1, 2018. Price increases range from $3 for per person on foot entrance to $10 for an annual pass. Complete price increases can be seen below.

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 -f887b5cbce81a3c8
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 08:23

Detroit to get its campground back over decade-long closure
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 08:27

LooseGoose wrote:Detroit to get its campground back over decade-long closure
hmm.. I see people camping in Detroit all the time. They always seem pretty nice, though they usually are low on cash.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 08:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Detroit to get its campground back over decade-long closure
hmm.. I see people camping in Detroit all the time. They always seem pretty nice, though they usually are low on cash.

Do you help them out or leave that to others??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 10:58

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:hmm.. I see people camping in Detroit all the time. They always seem pretty nice, though they usually are low on cash.

screw those lazy bastards.. I worked hard for my money. They should've done the same.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-02-23, 10:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

screw those lazy bastards.. I worked hard for my money. They should've done the same.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 11:55

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: screw those lazy bastards.. I worked hard for my money. They should've done the same.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
if those lazy ass folks camping in downtown Detroit would've just asked their parents for a million dollar loan, they might not be where they are now.

screw them - I worked hard for my money.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 11:58

Amazing how talking about the homeless is a thing again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 12:04

LooseGoose wrote:Amazing how talking about the homeless is a thing again.
#MAGA
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 12:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Amazing how talking about the homeless is a thing again.
#MAGA

Mount this thread on your wall as another one you've gored.

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Ghome2-squirrel-trophy-mount-brown-b407b3a1_l
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 12:12

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: #MAGA

Mount this thread on your wall as another one you've gored.

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 Ghome2-squirrel-trophy-mount-brown-b407b3a1_l
The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 502811600

(I think you're taking this a bit too seriously, dude - no offense.) - Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 12:16

Not at all. I know you get your jollies derailing threads. It's ok man, I'm sitting here stoned as hell laughing at the uproar all over the fucking internet over $400 and a cheap meal. That won't even pay for the shrimp in a CBS suite in a couple weeks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-23, 12:27

LooseGoose wrote:Not at all.
cool.

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 4 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 10:03

DNR limits backcountry campsites at largest state park
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-03-14, 12:06

Goose, I'm a little surprised by the new system. I backpacked there a couple times about 20 years ago and there were very few people in the back country. I liked the fact that you could set out and make your plans along the way. Although, I am happy that there are more people enjoying the remoteness. I just wish my stupid knees allowed me to do the same.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 13:08

Senior Dickfist wrote:Goose, I'm a little surprised by the new system. I backpacked there a couple times about 20 years ago and there were very few people in the back country. I liked the fact that you could set out and make your plans along the way. Although, I am happy that there are more people enjoying the remoteness. I just wish my stupid knees allowed me to do the same.

Honestly I found it amazing that the Porkies are overcrowded. I've not been there for a decade though, perhaps people coming up from WI and Chicago?

I'm planning one UP jaunt this summer with my grandson, a little tour through Copper Country and maybe up the Keweenaw if things are going well. Kind of a dry run for a summer or two when I'm going to take him out to the Custer Battlefield and Yellowstone.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-03-14, 18:36

Goose, your plan sounds Awesome!

I miss the Porkies. :(
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-14, 18:52

LooseGoose wrote:
Senior Dickfist wrote:Goose, I'm a little surprised by the new system. I backpacked there a couple times about 20 years ago and there were very few people in the back country. I liked the fact that you could set out and make your plans along the way. Although, I am happy that there are more people enjoying the remoteness. I just wish my stupid knees allowed me to do the same.

Honestly I found it amazing that the Porkies are overcrowded. I've not been there for a decade though, perhaps people coming up from WI and Chicago?

I'm planning one UP jaunt this summer with my grandson, a little tour through Copper Country and maybe up the Keweenaw if things are going well. Kind of a dry run for a summer or two when I'm going to take him out to the Custer Battlefield and Yellowstone.
The Keweenaw IS the Copper Country.

Sounds like a great trip. How old is he?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 19:11

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

The Keweenaw IS the Copper Country.

He'll be 4 working on 5. Old enough to use the toilet and usually mind Gramps.

My use of "up the Keweenaw" was referring to how far up the peninsula we go.
I might be turning around in Pelkie if things aren't going well.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-14, 19:44

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:The Keweenaw IS the Copper Country.

He'll be 4 working on 5. Old enough to use the toilet and usually mind Gramps.

My use of "up the Keweenaw" was referring to how far up the peninsula we go.
I might be turning around in Pelkie if things aren't going well.

I don't consider anything south of the bridge the Keweenaw though it technically begins at the bottom of the bay in Baraga. Got to take him at least as far as the lift bridge. Copper Harbor. Brockway Mountain Drive. Toni's Country Kitchen for pasty. The Gay Bar for Spam-N-Cheese sandwiches.

Camping or motels/hotels?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next