Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series

+11
Bizarro Fletch
Travis of the Cosmos
Cosmo_Kramer
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
Fat Guy on Couch
MSUgöat
Giant Moose
d_mcc
Turtleneck
Danny Tanner
15 posters

Go down

Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series Empty Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series

Post by Danny Tanner Thu 22 May 2014 - 9:54

That makes a couple things he didn't give a **** about. Go Tigers.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140520/SPORTS02/305200183/detroit-tigers-prince-fielder
Danny Tanner
Danny Tanner
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series Empty Re: Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series

Post by Turtleneck Thu 22 May 2014 - 9:55

He doesn't give a **** about calories either.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series Empty Re: Prince Fielder doesn't give a **** about the Detroit series

Post by d_mcc Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:01

Turtleneck wrote:He doesn't give a **** about cholesterol either.

FTFY... Accuracy is important.
d_mcc
d_mcc
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:03

Fielder is a troubled guy -- his failed marriage, his rocky relationship with his dad, his battles with overindulging, etc.

Detroit wanted to embrace him. Everyone has fond memories of him as a child belting home runs at Tiger Stadium, and Detroit is a great place for athletes to get redemption as long as the fans see them working hard.

Unfortunately, Fielder came across as lazy and not caring. It's a shame he screwed up what could have been a great thing but given his past it's not surprising.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUgöat Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:10

Giant Moose wrote:Fielder is a troubled guy -- his failed marriage, his rocky relationship with his dad, his battles with overindulging, etc.

...and his deportation back to Canada and that country's refusal to take him
MSUgöat
MSUgöat
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Guy on Couch Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:10

fitting that Fielder chose to not show up for a series in Detroit, just for old times sake.
Fat Guy on Couch
Fat Guy on Couch
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Tanner Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:12

Fat Guy on Couch wrote:.....

Prince?
Danny Tanner
Danny Tanner
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Guy on Couch Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:15

Danny Tanner wrote:

Prince?

I'm not leaving my couch, not even for 4 games in Detroit.
Fat Guy on Couch
Fat Guy on Couch
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:22

I'll play devils advocate here, the guy has a 547 game streak how does he not give a shit about playing in Detroit? Say what you want but that streak is pretty damn impressive.

Also, do Tiger fans ever wish a former player well? Seems like we as a group really carry a grudge.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:26

Prince Fielder is in deep with his neck problems.  

I had disc compression in the 3/4/5 area and the only fix was surgery.  Although it took time to experience symptoms (like your limb is "falling asleep") once they started it went fast.  Like going to the doc and finding out one arm has 45% less strength.  Within 24 hour of surgery nearly all my symptoms were gone

There is no way he can wait this out.  He will require surgery and it will end his season.  Probably not his career but he won't be swinging a bat for a extended period of time and may even be advised to retire to avoid re-injuring his neck.

Given his miserable season and his unhappy memories in Detroit I'm not surprised he is staying in Texas but he has shown he still is in need of Derek Jeter interview training.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:27

Prince is more of a jester
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:40

steveschneider wrote:I'll play devils advocate here, the guy has a 547 game streak how does he not give a shit about playing in Detroit? Say what you want but that streak is pretty damn impressive.

Also, do Tiger fans ever wish a former player well? Seems like we as a group really carry a grudge.

His streak was kept alive at the expense of the team on more than one occassion, so no, it's not really all that impressive as it cost the team games. Hell, I'd go as far as wondering if it didn't cost them a world series. Maybe he doesn't play like total shit in October if he takes a few days off in June.

And, yes, all the time. Who is booing Omar Infante? Doug Fister? Peralta? Those are just from this year.

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:45; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
His streak was kept alive at the expense of the team on more than one occassion, so no, it's not really all that expensive as it cost the team games. Hell, I'd go as far as wondering if it didn't cost them a world series. Maybe he doesn't play like total shit in October if he takes a few days off in June.

And, yes, all the time. Who is booing Omar Infante? Doug Fister? Peralta? Those are just from this year.

I'd argue we needed a better BP more than Princes bat in the ALCS. We couldn't protect a lead in that series.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:47

steveschneider wrote:

I'd argue we needed a better BP more than Princes bat in the ALCS. We couldn't protect a lead in that series.
I'd argue that him hitting better than .042 or whatever it was would've helped regardless of whether it was the biggest need or not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch Thu 22 May 2014 - 10:59

Why should he care about coming back to Detroit? What pro baseball players have a true passion about the city or team they play for? 99% of them - including I'm sure most of the Tigers - are loyal to whoever will pay them the most.

I have no reason to dislike the guy, I'm just glad they somehow managed to unload (most of) his albatross of a contract. There is a definite trend in his career numbers and it's not going in the right direction.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:00

I'd argue that him hitting better than .042 or whatever it was would've helped regardless of whether it was the biggest need or not.

Even if he did bat better we weren't winning with our bp giving up two grand slams in two different games.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:04

steveschneider wrote:

Even if he did bat better we weren't winning with our bp giving up two grand slams in two different games.
Didn't they lose one of those grand slam games by only 1 run? Anyway, really it's irrelevant to my original point. 

Fact- Prince sucked in the playoffs. His precious streak may have been apart of that sucking, which makes it not impressive. Whether it actually cost them a world series or not is not really the main theme I was getting at.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:10

steveschneider wrote:

FYI. We were not paying fielder to pitch. Nor were we paying him to not be The reason we lost
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:18

Blanch32 wrote:

FYI. We were not paying fielder to pitch.  Nor were we paying him to not be The reason we lost
Wait..... We were paying him to be the reason we lost? That seems like a foolish investment.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:26

Didn't they lose one of those grand slam games by only 1 run? Anyway, really it's irrelevant to my original point. 

Fact- Prince sucked in the playoffs. His precious streak may have been apart of that sucking, which makes it not impressive. Whether it actually cost them a world series or not is not really the main theme I was getting at.

I'm not disputing he sucked in the playoffs. I'd argue he had a good regular season, and had a big hand in getting the Tigers to where they got. You are arguing that if he rested a few games the Tigers win the WS. I disagree with that.

Tigers lost game 2 by one run. They gave up 4 runs in the 8th and 1 run in the 9th.

The other game that they lost by one they had a one run lead going into the 8th and Uehara got 5 outs for the win. Did the Tigers even record a base hit against Uehara that entire series?

If you look at the composite line score of the series from the 7th inning on the Sox outscored the Tigers 12-1. If we had better relief pitching IMO we win that series.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:30

steveschneider wrote:

I'm not disputing he sucked in the playoffs. I'd argue he had a good regular season, and had a big hand in getting the Tigers to where they got. You are arguing that if he rested a few games the Tigers win the WS. I disagree with that.

Tigers lost game 2 by one run. They gave up 4 runs in the 8th and 1 run in the 9th.

The other game that they lost by one they had a one run lead going into the 8th and Uehara got 5 outs for the win. Did the Tigers even record a base hit against Uehara that entire series?

If you look at the composite line score of the series from the 7th inning on the Sox outscored the Tigers 12-1. If we had better relief pitching IMO we win that series.
I'm sorry that I even mentioned the world series, because that's not what I was talking about at all and you can't seem to get off of it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:41

I'm sorry that I even mentioned the world series, because that's not what I was talking about at all and you can't seem to get off of it.

"Hell, I'd go as far as wondering if it didn't cost them a world series. Maybe he doesn't play like total shit in October if he takes a few days off in June."

Your memory seems a little fuzzy, let me quote your earlier post.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:48

steveschneider wrote:

"Hell, I'd go as far as wondering if it didn't cost them a world series. Maybe he doesn't play like total shit in October if he takes a few days off in June."

Your memory seems a little fuzzy, let me quote your earlier post.
Yes, that is the comment I was apologizing for. Thank you for clarifying. Whether we would have won the series or not is irrelevant to the point that Prince Fielder sucked in the playoffs and that may have been due to his refusing to take a day off to let that fat sack of shit he calls a body rest. Which was in response to you calling his streak impressive. It was not. It was selfish. 

He sucked in the 2012 playoffs as well, regardless of whether we could beat the Giants or not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Draymond Thu 22 May 2014 - 11:50

steveschneider wrote:

I agree the bullpen was mostly responsible for those losses, but I believe in multiple causality as well.  As you said they lost two 1 run games. How many times did Prince come up in those games with runners on base and fail to deliver?
Dr Draymond
Dr Draymond
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 12:09

Dr Draymond wrote:

I agree the bullpen was mostly responsible for those losses, but I believe in multiple causality as well.  As you said they lost two 1 run games. How many times did Prince come up in those games with runners on base and fail to deliver?

We have to remember Cabrera struggled with his injury in the ALCS as well. In game three he went 0-4 and we lost that game 1-0. Perhaps if we have a healthy Cabrera it's a different series? What sticks out to me like a sore thumb that series are those games our BP blew big leads, and Bostons pitching in the later innings shutting down Detroit. Uehara was on fire.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Punk Thu 22 May 2014 - 12:17

Dr Draymond wrote:

In the 4 losses, Fielder was 2-6 with men on base. In the same 4 games, Cabrera was 2-8 with men on base.

Boston won by 1 run in games 2, 3 & 5. In those 3 games Fielder was 2-4 with men on base.
Spartan Punk
Spartan Punk
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Thu 22 May 2014 - 12:25

Wait..... We were paying him to be the reason we lost? That seems like a foolish investment.

Well he definitely was a terrible investment. That we can agree on
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Draymond Thu 22 May 2014 - 13:17

Spartan Punk wrote:
In the 4 losses, Fielder was 2-6 with men on base. In the same 4 games, Cabrera was 2-8 with men on base.

Boston won by 1 run in games 2, 3 & 5. In those 3 games Fielder was 2-4 with men on base.

Thanks for looking that up. His numbers were much better than I thought.
Dr Draymond
Dr Draymond
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Draymond Thu 22 May 2014 - 13:18

steveschneider wrote:

We have to remember Cabrera struggled with his injury in the ALCS as well. In game three he went 0-4 and we lost that game 1-0. Perhaps if we have a healthy Cabrera it's a different series? What sticks out to me like a sore thumb that series are those games our BP blew big leads, and Bostons pitching in the later innings shutting down Detroit. Uehara was on fire.

I agree - but I guess that's my point. We don't have to limit the "reason" to the BP. Fielder, and certainly Miggy's injury, contributed to the series loss as well.
Dr Draymond
Dr Draymond
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Punk Thu 22 May 2014 - 13:26

Dr Draymond wrote:

Thanks for looking that up. His numbers were much better than I thought.
No problem. He was getting hits with men on base, it's just that his hits were when someone was on first so Prince wasn't getting any RBI's. He didn't have very many at bats with RISP.
Spartan Punk
Spartan Punk
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 Thu 22 May 2014 - 18:05

What teammates are drilling his old lady this season?
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 22 May 2014 - 18:07

Hut1hut2 wrote:What teammates are drilling his old lady this season?
Yu Darvish
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 22 May 2014 - 18:24

Prince scheduled to have season ending surgery.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down