Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke

3 posters

Go down

Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke Empty Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke

Post by SpartyHard Fri 23 May 2014 - 13:00

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State appears to be inching closer to resolution on which -- if any -- transfers it will be taking on next season.

Charles Cooke, a 6-foot-6 guard transferring from James Madison, has the Spartans among three finalists, according to a Friday report from CBS Sports. Rhode Island and Dayton are the other two.

Cooke averaged 14.3 rebounds, five rebounds and 1.7 assists last season for the Colonial Athletic Association program, playing more than 35 minutes per game.

He would need to sit out for a season after transferring, then would have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

The Spartans currently have two scholarships available for next season, one from the departure of Gary Harris to the NBA and one from the transfer of Russell Byrd announced this week.

Forward Alex Gauna has also said he’s considering leaving the program before his final year of eligibility, which would free up a third scholarship.

Cooke is one of three transfers the Spartans have reportedly shown interest in. Eron Harris, an Indianapolis native transferring from West Virginia, said earlier this month that the Spartans are in his final three, along with Michigan and Purdue. He said earlier this week that he has yet to set up a visit to either Michigan State or Michigan.

Bryn Forbes, the Lansing native considering a transfer from Cleveland State, was set to meet with the Michigan State coaching staff this week about the possibility of transferring.

By Kyle Austin
Courtesy of MLive
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke Empty Re: Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke

Post by SpartyHard Fri 23 May 2014 - 13:20

Just for the record, I'd personally much prefer Bryn Forbes from Cleveland State or Eron Harris from WVU. Both have shown strong interest in transferring to MSU.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke Empty Re: Michigan State reportedly in final three for James Madison transfer Charles Cooke

Post by InTenSity Fri 23 May 2014 - 14:02

Which is the kid who went to school with DV? Did he choose what school he's going to?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Silver Fri 23 May 2014 - 15:02

what are the odds on taking two transfers? With bird leaving and guana also a possibility for retirement it isn't crazy to think we can take two.
Duke Silver
Duke Silver
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard Fri 23 May 2014 - 15:28

InTenSity wrote:Which is the kid who went to school with DV? Did he choose what school he's going to?

Bryn Forbes
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard Fri 23 May 2014 - 15:32

Duke Silver wrote:what are the odds on taking two transfers? With bird leaving and guana also a possibility for retirement it isn't crazy to think we can take two.

With those two leaving and Harris entering the draft it leaves us five scholarships for the 2015 class, Deyonta Davis already holds one spot so that leaves 4 left.

IMO, it is unlikely that we would sign two transfers. I'd expect us to take one of the three transfer possibilities (Forbes, Harris, or Cooke) and sign a 4 man 2015 class.

Caleb Swanigan, Jalen Brunson, Eric Davis, and AJ Turner are all high on the MSU recruiting board.

Last edited by SpartyHard on Fri 23 May 2014 - 15:40; edited 1 time in total
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 23 May 2014 - 15:32

Duke Silver wrote:what are the odds on taking two transfers? With bird leaving and guana also a possibility for retirement it isn't crazy to think we can take two.
If I had to guess, its probably only going to be 1 transfer. I have no idea though, obviously if there is a can't miss type of transfer I'm sure Izzo would take him.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard Fri 23 May 2014 - 16:44

InTenSity wrote:
If I had to guess, its probably only going to be 1 transfer. I have no idea though, obviously if there is a can't miss type of transfer I'm sure Izzo would take him.

Bingo. Highly unlikely MSU would take 2 transfers. I think it has more to do with how stacked the '15 class is and we are sitting pretty with several top prospects.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 23 May 2014 - 16:49

SpartyHard wrote:

Bingo. Highly unlikely MSU would take 2 transfers. I think it has more to do with how stacked the '15 class is and we are sitting pretty with several top prospects.
Well...lets see how that plays out. I would think with 4 scholarships or 5, maybe we can convince a few guys to make a mega team, and give Coach Izzo a proper farewell, hardware included.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down