Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What documentary should I watch tonight

+18
Cameron
NigelUno
The Pantry
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Bill Cain
Rocinante
Nordic
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
TheReal_LWS
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What documentary should I watch tonight  - Page 3 Empty Re: What documentary should I watch tonight

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-04-07, 18:14

Cameron wrote:They say that when you want something done right, do it yourself. But when I started a UM game thread we lost, and when I hated on steve, it only strengthened his resolve. But when Nordic started a UM game thread, we won, and when Nordic hated on steve, he folded like a cheap suit. So they really should say that when you want something done right, have Nordic do it for you.

The steveification of the board following his game thread for that one big win (OSU?) inflated his head more quickly than is healthy for a message boarder. Then he made the mistake of welcoming Nigel as his fawning sidekick, and let that inflate it more. It was a quick spiral into madness from there.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

What documentary should I watch tonight  - Page 3 Empty Re: What documentary should I watch tonight

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-04-07, 18:18

MattyFresh wrote:I am assuming everyone has recommended anything by Ken Burns including the newly released Hemingway

Martin Sheen sums up my emotions regarding PBS and Ken Burns

https://video.wttw.com/video/martin-sheen-testimonial-jeezwo/

my brother has suggested plenty of ken burns... maybe a very long nam one or something?

I should learn something - what are the best ken burns ones?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-07, 18:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:I am assuming everyone has recommended anything by Ken Burns including the newly released Hemingway

Martin Sheen sums up my emotions regarding PBS and Ken Burns

https://video.wttw.com/video/martin-sheen-testimonial-jeezwo/

my brother has suggested plenty of ken burns... maybe a very long nam one or something?

The Civil War and National Parks docs stick out in my mind
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-04-07, 18:26

Oooh I like national parks. thank you nordy i'll start there
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-07, 18:29

Not really documentaries, but Drunk History is What documentary should I watch tonight  - Page 3 502811600 and semi-educational. The Teddy Roosevelt football episode is a good start.

Edit: There is also a Roosevelt/National Parks episode.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2021-04-07, 19:15

Nordic wrote:

The Civil War and National Parks docs stick out in my mind

Those are my two favorite docs, probably seen them both 10+ times.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-07, 19:43

Burns/Dan Carlin need to hook up and do a WWI doc. Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on WWI is by far the best doc I've seen/heard, audio or video. If you have about 50hrs to kill, I highly recommend it (credit to miami).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-04-07, 20:11

Nordic wrote:Burns/Dan Carlin need to hook up and do a WWI doc. Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on WWI is by far the best doc I've seen/heard, audio or video. If you have about 50hrs to kill, I highly recommend it (credit to miami).

Don't scare people off from it, I think it's only about 20-25 hours What documentary should I watch tonight  - Page 3 502811600 But yeah, it's probably his best series, and that's a high bar as I love all of his multi-part series.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-08, 10:51

Watched Tough Guy:The Bob Probert Story on Prime last night. I heard it had mixed reviews. I liked it. Was a huge hockey fan in 80s/90s. Obviously loved the Bruise Brothers. They played all the classic fights. Incredibly barbaric to watch now. I forgot about the head button  Shocked.  He was insane. Dude was messed up, either from drugs or CTE or both. Good story if you like Old Time Hockey
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-08, 11:33

Nordic wrote:Watched Tough Guy:The Bob Probert Story on Prime last night. I heard it had mixed reviews. I liked it. Was a huge hockey fan in 80s/90s. Obviously loved the Bruise Brothers. They played all the classic fights. Incredibly barbaric to watch now. I forgot about the head button  Shocked.  He was insane. Dude was messed up, either from drugs or CTE or both. Good story if you like Old Time Hockey

I wonder if he had one of those “athlete” hearts. Where they’re o resized. Then the years of cocaine abuse and alcohol consumption just did him in. A pro hockey player dying at 45 of heart problems is pretty rare. But nobody was shocked at the Probert news.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-04-08, 12:17

Nordic wrote:Watched Tough Guy:The Bob Probert Story on Prime last night. I heard it had mixed reviews. I liked it. Was a huge hockey fan in 80s/90s. Obviously loved the Bruise Brothers. They played all the classic fights. Incredibly barbaric to watch now. I forgot about the head button  Shocked.  He was insane. Dude was messed up, either from drugs or CTE or both. Good story if you like Old Time Hockey

I laughed and enjoyed a lot of this, but it is also sad.
And yes, I feel a bit guilty for laughing at the ass beatings he dealt out, the partying, etc., because of the effects of it all, but it was still good memories. I did a Red Wings-related mini-binge a few months back watching this Probert doc, The Russian Five, and Red Army.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-12, 01:33

Hoping to watch Where’s my Roy Cohn? sometime this week.

Here’s the description of the documentary from IMDB:
Roy Cohn personified the dark arts of American politics, turning empty vessels into dangerous demagogues - from Joseph McCarthy to his final project, Donald J. Trump. This thriller-like exposé connects the dots, revealing how a deeply troubled master manipulator shaped our current American nightmare.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-24, 20:06

Nordic wrote:David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet - Netflix

Attenborough is a legend. 93 and still running strong. Must watch.

Yeah it’s excellent

Started Life in Color. E1 was excellent.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-04-24, 21:58

Pirates of the Caribbean. Or whatever it's called on Netflix. Somewhat interesting. I'm to the episode about Blackbeard.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-04-24, 22:02

InTenSity wrote:Pirates of the Caribbean. Or whatever it's called on Netflix. Somewhat interesting. I'm to the episode about Blackbeard.

That was pretty solid.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-04-25, 01:04

You should watch the new Frontline. It’s about white supremacy. Fun!!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-06-25, 22:16

Women's Nation Soccer Team equal pay doc:
LFG
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-06-26, 13:09

Nordic wrote:Women's Nation Soccer Team equal pay doc:
LFG

Minus well make it a full 2 hours and add these 15 minutes onto the end

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-06-26, 17:49

Kiss the Ground. It's about soil, narrated by Woody Harrelson. You can find it on Netflix. Forget global warming. If we don't fix the soil problem, humans won't be farming 60 years from now.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

gomersbro and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-06-27, 17:33

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Nordic wrote:Women's Nation Soccer Team equal pay doc:
LFG

Minus well make it a full 2 hours and add these 15 minutes onto the end

Multiple sides to the story for sure and the HBO special is certianly one-sided/biased toward the USWNT. I loosely put this in the doc thread. People can twist the stats to fit a variety of narratives. I'd say there are at least two inaccurate statements in that Youtube vid. Either way, they  are playing under a contract they agreed to at the time. But I'm all for players fighting for every dollar they can get. Whether it is national squads, player unions, playerholdouts, etc.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-06-27, 17:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:Kiss the Ground. It's about soil, narrated by Woody Harrelson. You can find it on Netflix. Forget global warming. If we don't fix the soil problem, humans won't be farming 60 years from now.

If Matt Damon can grow food on Mars, we'll figure it out.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-22, 09:29

Watched the Ali documentary on PBS last night. Found out before the Ken Norton fight he had a threesome with two ladies. He got upset and hospitalized with a broken jaw.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-22, 09:30

steveschneider wrote:Watched the Ali documentary on PBS last night. Found out before the Ken Norton fight he had a threesome with two ladies. He got upset and hospitalized with a broken jaw.

You watched all 8 hours in one night?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-22, 09:41

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Watched the Ali documentary on PBS last night. Found out before the Ken Norton fight he had a threesome with two ladies. He got upset and hospitalized with a broken jaw.

I watched what ever episode was on last night and will watch it again tonight. It had the first two Frasier fights in it and let me tell you that stuff is intense. Even when I already knew the outcome of both fights it still gave me an appreciation for just how punishing that sport is.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-22, 09:42

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I watched what ever episode was on last night and will watch it again tonight. It had the first two Frasier fights in it and let me tell you that stuff is intense. Even when I already knew the outcome of both fights it still gave me an appreciation for just how punishing that sport is.

Oh, I don't know how they're broadcasting it. On the Passport app, every episode is available for streaming and I started the first last night. It's really good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-22, 09:54

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Oh, I don't know how they're broadcasting it. On the Passport app, every episode is available for streaming and I started the first last night. It's really good.

Good to know I'll probably go back to the beginning and watch the first episodes. It's a very well done doc no question about it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-22, 23:26

Great Doc on Ali. Highly recommend it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-22, 23:32

DWags wrote:Great Doc on Ali. Highly recommend it.

Agreed.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-23, 12:49

DWags wrote:Great Doc on Ali. Highly recommend it.

Finished the last episode last night and caught the whole thing in the middle of it. Even though I already knew the entire story line that doc either had me on the edge of my seat during the fights or feeling all sorts of emotions watching the decline of his health. The music in it was great as well. Amazing doc and I'm looking forward to going back and taking in the first two episodes over the next couple of days.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-28, 20:57

In their own words... Jimmy Carter. (Prime? Was just on pbs)

That man is a goddammed saint.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-04-10, 18:26

Ken Burns thing on Benjamin Franklin that debuted on PBS this week. Four very good hours. Wish it was twice as long.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-10, 18:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:Ken Burns thing on Benjamin Franklin that debuted on PBS this week. Four very good hours. Wish it was twice as long.

What documentary should I watch tonight  - Page 3 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-10, 18:30

Beastie Boys was excellent.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-04-10, 20:42

Motown Spartan wrote:Beastie Boys was excellent.

The AppleTV one? I thought it was kinda awkward with them being up on a stage.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-10, 21:28

Nordic wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Beastie Boys was excellent.

Yeah, I can see that. But they are in my top 10 favorites of all time and I loved hearing the story in their own words. Amazes me how many times they reinvented themselves.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-04-10, 21:42

Motown Spartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Yeah, I can see that. But they are in my top 10 favorites of all time and I loved hearing the story in their own words. Amazes me how many times they reinvented themselves.

Ditto.  Still loved it. Every album is different and it was cool to hear them talk about that. Just felt like the "theater" setting was off. Needed a smaller more personal setting IMO. Kinda like comedy sets. Small venues vs. theaters are totally different and need a different approach.

Still recommend it if you're a Beasties fan.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-05-28, 05:46

Just an hour long, but very interesting look at the dams and aqueducts that Mulholland built to bring water to LA and the disastrous consequences.

Flood in the Desert
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-28, 10:34

Loading up Smithsonian channels War in the Pacific in color.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-05-30, 07:04

Very long watch on this Memorial Day.  I'm only a half hour in.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-05-31, 18:30

Meltdown: Three Mile Island on Netflix is pretty good. I'm on the 2nd episode, not sure how many there are. Lots of interviews and science. What a cluster fuck. I was 19 and not really understanding or paying attention at the time.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3