Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the deal with Malik

+17
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
BleacherSwill
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
GRR Spartan
SeeRockCity
Tim Wakefield
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
DWags
NigelUno
Vlad
Death Roe
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's the deal with Malik Empty What's the deal with Malik

Post by duffy munn Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Lots of smoke around his situation but nothing from Coach D. In addition to some good sources on "message boards", I've talked to others in the know. They all say he is done at MSU.

It's apparently not about an injury. So why is he on the sidelines and not dressed? I don't get it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What's the deal with Malik Empty Re: What's the deal with Malik

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:43 pm

I think he's "hurt".
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:13 pm

He's our Jadeveon Clowney now.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Attitude issue? Selfishness? Mother involved again??

Could be anything.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Vlad wrote:Attitude issue? Selfishness? Mother involved again??

Could be anything.

You forgot he is black, David.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:29 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think he's "hurt".

Seems like he got "hurt" about twice every game. Maybe it caught up to him.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:17 am

duffy munn wrote:
Vlad wrote:Attitude issue? Selfishness? Mother involved again??

Could be anything.

You forgot he is black, David.

A lot of our players are black, I think.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:30 am

You need to go to class to be a sturdent
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:37 am

DWags wrote:You need to go to class to be a sturdent

I get this part Dwags. So why nothing from Coach D? Why is he still on the sidelines? Is he part of this team or not?

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48 am

What's the deal with Ovaltine?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 am

Called it nigel
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 am

Meh. He sits out a game and we win 49-0
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:20 am

next
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:22 am

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:You need to go to class to be a sturdent

I get this part Dwags. So why nothing from Coach D? Why is he still on the sidelines? Is he part of this team or not?

Dantonio is in a helluva spot.
He doesn't want to hang McDowell out to dry in public whatever the reasons for sitting him.
Roll back 3 1/2 years and McDowell was getting squeezed to sign with any school except MSU. Literally at the 11th hour Dantonio's office gets McDowell's signed LOI with less than 6-8 hours to spare. He wanted to play in EL.

Now this team is 3-7 and going nowhere. McDowell has been the target of cheap shots / abuse from opposing teams every game he's played and he' might be seeing it as hurting his draft status. If McDowell sits the rest of the season with vague injury talk I'm guessing Dantonio has told him privately any NFL teams who inquire about his work ethic will hear about his bailing on classes this fall but he won't say anything until after the season, if ever. Keeping things inhouse means Dantonio is living up to his word with respect to what he tells incomng recruits.

At this pont, good does it do anyone to make a big deal about it? Not MSU, not McDowell. The coachng staff knows whats up about going to class and his teammates have figured it out. Maybe McDowell slips out of the Top 15 in the '17 draft but with his measurables and a decent combine that's doubtful. Then with the NFL's rookie salary structure everyone is in it for their 2nd contract for the big reward.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:16 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Called it nigel

#TeamMalik?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:27 am

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/11/michigan_state_ol_tyler_higby.html#incart_river_index

"At least six other players missed the Rutgers game due to injury: cornerback Tyson Smith, defensive back Jalen Watts-Jackson, offensive lineman Thiyo Lukusa, linebacker Ed Davis, fullback Prescott line and defensive lineman Malik McDowell.."
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 am

Why any early entry first round draft pick would suit up for a team not going to a bowl game or playing to improve the bowl potential is beyond me.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 am

GRR Spartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

He doesn't want to hang McDowell out to dry in public whatever the reasons for sitting him.
Roll back 3 1/2 years and McDowell was getting squeezed to sign with any school except MSU. Literally at the 11th hour Dantonio's office gets McDowell's signed LOI with less than 6-8 hours to spare. He wanted to play in EL.

Now this team is 3-7 and going nowhere. McDowell has been the target of cheap shots / abuse from opposing teams every game he's played and he' might be seeing it as hurting his draft status. If McDowell sits the rest of the season with vague injury talk I'm guessing Dantonio has told him privately any NFL teams who inquire about his work ethic will hear about his bailing on classes this fall but he won't say anything until after the season, if ever. Keeping things inhouse means Dantonio is living up to his word with respect to what he tells incomng recruits.

At this pont, good does it do anyone to make a big deal about it? Not MSU, not McDowell. The coachng staff knows whats up about going to class and his teammates have figured it out. Maybe McDowell slips out of the Top 15 in the '17 draft but with his measurables and a decent combine that's doubtful. Then with the NFL's rookie salary structure everyone is in it for their 2nd contract for the big reward.

This makes sense but I'm very surprised reporters don't even seem to be pushing the issue with pointed questions.

Dantonio does an unbelievable job of keeping things in-house. Hell, nobody even knows what happened with Max 3 years later. In today's social media world, that's incredible.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am

duffy munn wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

This makes sense but I'm very surprised reporters don't even seem to be pushing the issue with pointed questions.

Dantonio does an unbelievable job of keeping things in-house. Hell, nobody even knows what happened with Max 3 years later. In today's social media world, that's incredible.

Based on the mlive article, it seems as if Malik is hurt.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:23 am

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 am

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.

If Dantonio said he was injured (and I don't know if he did), I'm not sure how a reporter would go about asking if he wasn't really injured.

If he's on the sideline, I would guess he's still on the team (regardless of speculation about why he's not playing).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 am

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.

And this is where the Malik situation is most damning. I'm not saying MM will flame out ( no pun intended) in the NFL but the similarities to the end of his college careers are certainly striking.

Competitors never ask out of games. At any level. For any reason.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:33 am

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.

If Dantonio said he was injured (and I don't know if he did), I'm not sure how a reporter would go about asking if he wasn't really injured.

If he's on the sideline, I would guess he's still on the team (regardless of speculation about why he's not playing).

It's the job of a reporter to dig a little deeper. That said, Coach D has proven to be s stone wall when it comes to internal issues with his football team.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:35 am

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.

And this is where the Malik situation is most damning. I'm not saying MM will flame out ( no pun intended) in the NFL but the similarities to the end of his college careers are certainly striking.

Competitors never ask out of games. At any level. For any reason.

I think he wanted to go back into the game at Illinois (after he was hurt or "hurt"). Honestly, it has seemed that he has missed plays all season.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 am

kingstonlake wrote:Why any early entry first round draft pick would suit up for a team not going to a bowl game or playing to improve the bowl potential is beyond me.

It's called being a good teammate and a competitor.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:40 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It's the job of a reporter to dig a little deeper. That said, Coach D has proven to be s stone wall when it comes to internal issues with his football team.

Sure. But, he appeared to get injured in the Illinois game. I doubt Dantonio is going to go public with any other reason why he's not playing. If he was taking plays off and pointing fingers (as some people implied), then that's kind of at odds. I can see a coach (and teammates) having an issue with that. That's all speculation of course.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

So was Charles Rogers.

I just think a staff gets tired of having game stoppage twice a game. Not saying he wasn't or isn't hurt, but maybe just finally saying "take a week off till we can clear it up"

Oh, and by the by, when you come back how about keeping gap integrity following the play call not trying to do things on your own and teaching the young guys bad habits
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:56 am

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I just think a staff gets tired of having game stoppage twice a game. Not saying he wasn't or isn't hurt, but maybe just finally saying "take a week off till we can clear it up"

Oh, and by the by, when you come back how about keeping gap integrity following the play call not trying to do things on your own and teaching the young guys bad habits

That's a good point.  I think we have too many guys just chasing the ball.  When we played a team a few weeks back, that team seemed to do a better job not biting on fakes.

And I got frustrated watching Malik. He got hurt every game (and was taking plays off). I can only imagine how frustrated that would make a coach.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm sure he's actually dinged up, probably has multiple dings. He may just not be as motivated as other guys to fight through them right now.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Death Roe compared it to Clowney's last season.

McDowell isn't SEC minimum but he knows where his future earning power is coming from and it isn't going to be after he completes post graduate work like Scapinato planned.

Not attending classes is cut and dry. You are either there, turning in work, passing tests and getting at least a 2.0 or you aren't.

Its a fine line with injuries. I think his got injuries. The decision to sit or play through are between the player and medical.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:31 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Death Roe compared it to Clowney's last season.

McDowell isn't SEC minimum but he knows where his future earning power is coming from and it isn't going to be after he completes post graduate work like Scapinato planned.

Not attending classes is cut and dry. You are either there, turning in work, passing tests and getting at least a 2.0 or you aren't.

Its a fine line with injuries. I think his got injuries. The decision to sit or play through are between the player and medical.

Are you calling me wrong with correlating the two in some way?

I mean, it's pretty similar. Only thing missing is a coach who isn't as transparent as Spurrier was. He was pretty public about Clowney sitting.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:36 pm

Death Roe wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Death Roe compared it to Clowney's last season.

Are you calling me wrong with correlating the two in some way?

I mean, it's pretty similar. Only thing missing is a coach who isn't as transparent as Spurrier was. He was pretty public about Clowney sitting.

I think he called you yella.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:45 pm

I don't "call people out".

I see similarities between McDowell and Clowney from afar.

I also see what a witches brew of complications it brings to coaching and what team medical personnel can or can't say.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:55 pm

he gone.

(after this year.. he's not gone now. I'm not even sure where he's at right now).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:58 pm

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Reporter responsibility? You are living in the distant past.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Every reporter knows they are one meeting away from being replaced by a twenty something with a lap top and an internet connection.

Even the twenty somethings that populate MLive and 247's reporter pool.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

duffy munn wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Why any early entry first round draft pick would suit up for a team not going to a bowl game or playing to improve the bowl potential is beyond me.

Agreed. But it's also called being really bad at risk/reward analysis.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

traditional journalism is dead.. you guys should know that. In fact, I'd argue that a schlep with a laptop and an internet connection is about as believable as a beat writer for the Freep and/or LSJ.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:22 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

It's Malik's choice if he doesn't want to be out there. If I'm his teammate, I don't want him out there either.

And if I'm an NFL scout, I certainly take this into account on draft day.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:27 pm

duffy munn wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

It's Malik's choice if he doesn't want to be out there. If I'm his teammate, I don't want him out there either.

And if I'm an NFL scout, I certainly take this into account on draft day.

It didn't hurt Clowney.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next