Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the deal with Malik

+17
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
BleacherSwill
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
GRR Spartan
SeeRockCity
Tim Wakefield
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
DWags
NigelUno
Vlad
Death Roe
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's the deal with Malik - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the deal with Malik

Post by DWags 2016-11-14, 11:28

I think two things happen when you keep such a tight lid on your team's inner doings.  

1.  I say yippie, that never was the case at MSU and we were the drama school.   Good for Dantonio.  

2.  Some bad shit can start being rumored about your players. Not fair to them or you or the program.   

I say #1 way out weighs #2, but when it does happen to specific players, it sucks. 

I don't want to pile on the kid, but he did seem to be over pursuing quite often and not really staying within control of the game or the defense called.  Thing is, he very well might not be doing that because he wants to showcase himself on a power rush or on tackles or whatever, but he might be doing it because he's so passionate that he truely thinks what he's doing is right and it's helping the team.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-11-14, 11:36

DWags wrote:I think two things happen when you keep such a tight lid on your team's inner doings.  

1.  I say yippie, that never was the case at MSU and we were the drama school.   Good for Dantonio.  

2.  Some bad shit can start being rumored about your players. Not fair to them or you or the program.   

I say #1 way out weighs #2, but when it does happen to specific players, it sucks. 

I don't want to pile on the kid, but he did seem to be over pursuing quite often and not really staying within control of the game or the defense called.  Thing is, he very well might not be doing that because he wants to showcase himself on a power rush or on tackles or whatever, but he might be doing it because he's so passionate that he truely thinks what he's doing is right and it's helping the team.

I can easily see him thinking "shit, I'm not really getting any help on the line so I'm going all-out the best way I think I can make plays."
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-14, 12:09

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:I think two things happen when you keep such a tight lid on your team's inner doings.  

I can easily see him thinking "shit, I'm not really getting any help on the line so I'm going all-out the best way I think I can make plays."

Happens a lot.  And it mostly happens with good players.  Then a defensive or offensive scheme breaks down because of it and it hurts more than helps. Or, like Riley vs. Maryland, it makes you so over zealous that you don't play within yourself.  There is a huge difference between asking someone to make a play within a scheme and a player just losing all integrity of the scheme trying to do something super human.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-11-14, 12:11

I'm just glad we beat Rutgers.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-11-14, 12:14

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Happens a lot.  And it mostly happens with good players.  Then a defensive or offensive scheme breaks down because of it and it hurts more than helps. Or, like Riley vs. Maryland, it makes you so over zealous that you don't play within yourself.  There is a huge difference between asking someone to make a play within a scheme and a player just losing all integrity of the scheme trying to do something super human.

I hope you mean "talented players" because it seems to me that someone not playing within the scheme is the opposite of good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-11-14, 12:14

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

It's Malik's choice if he doesn't want to be out there. If I'm his teammate, I don't want him out there either.

And if I'm an NFL scout, I certainly take this into account on draft day.

It didn't hurt Clowney.  

As much as some of us like the idea of our children going to college and seeing others children going to college for 4 years and graduating McDowell is in a different universe and so was Clowney.

They both have physical attributes the NFL covets and there are teams will to overlook not going to class your last semester of school before you bolt to a trainer to get ready for the NFL combine.

I was at MSU and in a Strat-o-Matic baseball league of 25 others baseball statistic fans/freaks. (MLB had 26 teams then)   About half of the league was math and computer science majors.  2 of the computer science guys left after their junior years for jobs at NASA.    No one was wringing their hands because they weren't getting degrees before their first real job.

The NFL is McDowell's NASA offer.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-14, 12:17

Rocinante wrote:
DWags wrote:

I hope you mean "talented players" because it seems to me that someone not playing within the scheme is the opposite of good.

Good point.  Poor choice of a word on my part.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-11-14, 12:17

GRR Spartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It didn't hurt Clowney.  

As much as some of us like the idea of our children going to college and seeing others children going to college for 4 years and graduating McDowell is in a different universe and so was Clowney.

They both have physical attributes the NFL covets and there are teams will to overlook not going to class your last semester of school before you bolt to a trainer to get ready for the NFL combine.

I was at MSU and in a Strat-o-Matic baseball league of 25 others baseball statistic fans/freaks. (MLB had 26 teams then)   About half of the league was math and computer science majors.  2 of the computer science guys left after their junior years for jobs at NASA.    No one was wringing their hands because they weren't getting degrees before their first real job.

Did they just stop doing their homework the year before they left? Something tells me that job wouldn't have been there.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-14, 12:19

I stopped doing my homework when I got accepted to MSU.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-11-14, 12:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I stopped doing my homework when I got accepted to MSU.
I never really did it to begin with.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-14, 12:27

GRR Spartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It didn't hurt Clowney.  

A family friend's kid scored a 36 on the ACT, went to Wayne State for a year in Actuary science.  Companies actually come in and fi you're recommended to crunch numbers for them by the professor of the school, they don't give a shit about your degree do they?   I'm old school enough where I might feel a bit uneasy about a 19 year old doing shit for me if I was a fortune 500 guy, but that's why I'm not I guess, cause I'd pass up on some talented mother fuckers.    Shit's way different than when I was young.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-11-14, 12:47

GRR Spartan wrote:I don't "call people out".

I see similarities between McDowell and Clowney from afar.

I also see what a witches brew of complications it brings to coaching and what team medical personnel can or can't say.

I wasn't mad at you. Just wanted some clarification, looked like a vague post.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-14, 13:08

Death Roe wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:I don't "call people out".

I see similarities between McDowell and Clowney from afar.

I also see what a witches brew of complications it brings to coaching and what team medical personnel can or can't say.

I wasn't mad at you. Just wanted some clarification, looked like a vague post.

He calls you yella and you don't get mad? What are you, yella?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-11-15, 14:47

Bump for OTPT
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-15, 15:37

LooseGoose wrote:Bump for OTPT

So I was right
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-11-15, 16:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:he gone.

(after this year.. he's not gone now. I'm not even sure where he's at right now).

Go Green
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-11-15, 20:37

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
#Oklahoma star DT Charles Walker told coach Bob Stoops that he's leaving the team immediately to prepare for the draft. He's projected high
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-11-15, 20:58

LooseGoose wrote:Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
#Oklahoma star DT Charles Walker told coach Bob Stoops that he's leaving the team immediately to prepare for the draft. He's projected high

Given the redic emphasis nfl places on measureables, expect to see more of this. jist remember, saban killed loyalty
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2016-11-15, 21:26

Blanch32 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

Given the redic emphasis nfl places on measureables, expect
to see more of this. jist remember, saban killed loyalty

Saban killed loyalty before loyalty killed the program. #loyaltykills
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-11-15, 21:34

SeeRockCity wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Given the redic emphasis nfl places on measureables, expect
to see more of this. jist remember, saban killed loyalty

Saban killed loyalty before loyalty killed the program. #loyaltykills

#sotrue
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-11-15, 22:34

Given how MM's situation has spiraled downward so quickly, why would any top-notch recruit want to sign with MSU? Ever?

This will be an easy negative recruiting tool for other schools to use against Antonio. We could save ourselves a lot of embarrassment by scrapping the program now.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-11-15, 22:43

Vlad wrote:Given how MM's situation has spiraled downward so quickly, why would any top-notch recruit want to sign with MSU? Ever?

This will be an easy negative recruiting tool for other schools to use against Antonio. We could save ourselves a lot of embarrassment by scrapping the program now.

What's the deal with Malik - Page 2 18253276e57c9e7d42bb40ba776bbb62
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-15, 22:46

Vlad wrote:Given how MM's situation has spiraled downward so quickly, why would any top-notch recruit want to sign with MSU? Ever?

Yup.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-11-15, 22:46

Rocinante wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

Did they just stop doing their homework the year before they left? Something tells me that job wouldn't have been there.

False equivalency. No one fucks their brain by doing too much math, but a defensive lineman can fuck his body over by playing too many snaps for a team that is going nowhere.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-11-16, 01:05

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

This makes sense but I'm very surprised reporters don't even seem to be pushing the issue with pointed questions.

Dantonio does an unbelievable job of keeping things in-house. Hell, nobody even knows what happened with Max 3 years later. In today's social media world, that's incredible.

Based on the mlive article, it seems as if Malik is hurt.

WOTS is that he is butthurt, not injured.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2