Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama?

+14
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
Watch Out Pylon!
Clarett's Folly
SeeRockCity
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama? - Page 4 Empty Re: B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama?

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 08:41

kingstonlake wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:It's much easier to make it to the NCAA Final Four than to the CFP, there is absolutely no dispute. First, a non-P5 team can go undefeated and not even sniff the playoff. For a large number of D1 teams there is literally no chance whatsoever - before the season even begins - to make the CFP. That simply isn't the case in hoops. In hoops, everyone is invited to what are essentially the playoffs and, as we've seen in the past, many Cindarellas like George Mason have made it to the Final Four. I really don't see the argument here. NCAA basketball is much more inclusive and provides an equal platform for teams to advance. In hoops you also don't need as many "good" players to get to the Final Four. A mid-major could have a couple of late bloomers who weren't heavily recruited on their team as seniors and that may be all it takes, whereas in football that's simply not the case.

So really the power 5 conferences are the only ones getting in, which narrows the field even further, and it harder to make the final four in football?  

Wait...you mean a shitload of teams are eliminated from the CFP because they aren't in a Power 5 conference or don't even play D1 football?

So, it's easier for ALL those teams to make a Final Four, right?

Not to mention at least 1/2 of the Power 5 teams...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama? - Page 4 Empty Re: B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama?

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 08:54

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Interesting.

If you had to bet, Final Four or CFP...which one would we get to first?  And why?

How do you think a Penn State fan would bet right now?

You...ummm...kind of dodged the Michigan State question.

Penn State?  B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama? - Page 4 502811600

I guess that's a step up from using Kansas, Purdue, and MSU.  Took you awhile though.

OK.  Let's address your epiphany Penn State and the rest of the Big Ten (using "right now"):

CFP:
OSU
UM
Penn State
Wisconsin
Nebraska (I'll even give you that one)

Final Four:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 09:01

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

These are all good points ghost.

Basketball has 5 starters.  Football has 22.  It's also easier from that perspective.  

So how many bonus final four teams do you think this will all yield?  You might have to reduce it a little because basketball is played indoors and you don't have the weather as a potential  neautralizer.

Not sure.

76?

NigelUno wrote:Since 1985, these seeds have reached the Final Four (with number of times):

11 - 3
10 - 1
9 - 1
8 - 5
7 - 2
6 - 3
5 - 6
4 - 13
3 - 14
2 - 28

So, 76 times a team other than a 1 seed has made the Final Four (since 1985).

Those teams would have reached the CFP a grand total of ZERO times, because the CFP only has 4 teams.

76 marbles > 0 marbles.  
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-11-18, 09:03

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

So really the power 5 conferences are the only ones getting in, which narrows the field even further, and it harder to make the final four in football?  

Wait...you mean a shitload of teams are eliminated from the CFP because they aren't in a Power 5 conference or don't even play D1 football?

I'm assuming we are discussing this from an MSU perspective and how hard it is for them to reach the final four.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 09:07

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I'm assuming we are discussing this from an MSU perspective and how hard it is for them to reach the final four.

Sure. We can do that.

Is it easier for MSU to reach the Final Four or the CFP?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-11-18, 09:09

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Sure. We can do that.

Is it easier for MSU to reach the Final Four or the CFP?

Yes
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-18, 09:14

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Penn State?  B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama? - Page 4 502811600

I guess that's a step up from using Kansas, Purdue, and MSU.  Took you awhile though.

OK.  Let's address your epiphany Penn State and the rest of the Big Ten (using "right now"):

CFP:
OSU
UM
Penn State
Wisconsin

Final Four:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue

You can't really say "right now" when the football season is almost over but I will do this for entertainment purposes.

CFP
OSU .5
UM .25
Penn State .25
Wisconsin .25
Nebraska (I'll even give you that one) .01

Expected number of final four teams = 1.26

Final Four:
Indiana .15
Maryland .05
Michigan State .1
Rutgers .01
Minnesota .01
Iowa .01
Northwestern .01
Illinois .01
Purdue .13
Wisconsin .15 (you forgot them)

Expected # of final four teams = 0.63

Thus, it is twice as hard for a Big Ten team to make it in basketball as football "right now"
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-11-18, 09:26

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

CFP:
OSU
UM
Penn State
Wisconsin

Final Four:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue

You can't really say "right now" when the football season is almost over but I will do this for entertainment purposes.

CFP
OSU .5
UM .25
Penn State .25
Wisconsin .25

Final Four:
Indiana .15
Maryland .05
Michigan State .1
Rutgers .01
Minnesota .01
Iowa .01
Northwestern .01
Illinois .01
Purdue .13

Thus, it is twice as hard for a Big Ten team to make it in basketball as football "right now"

#MathGenius
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 09:29

Herbie Green wrote:

Herbie Green wrote:
You can't really say "right now" when the football season is almost over....

Suspect
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 09:40

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

CFP
OSU .5
UM .25
Penn State .25
Wisconsin .25

Final Four:
Indiana .15
Maryland .05
Michigan State .1
Rutgers .01
Minnesota .01
Iowa .01
Northwestern .01
Illinois .01
Purdue .13

#MathGenius

The reality is it's easier for ALL of the little guys (as Herbie admitted) to make the Final Four.  That includes ALL of the podunk conference teams who don't even play D1 football, and all of the mid-major conference teams.

The same is true for at least 1/2 of the Power 5 teams.  1/2 is being generous.  2/3 or 3/4 is probably closer.

No amount of marble math talk can change reality.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-18, 09:48

NigelUno wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

#MathGenius

The reality is it's easier for ALL of the little guys (as Herbie admitted) to make the Final Four.  That includes ALL of the podunk conference teams who don't even play D1 football, and all of the mid-major conference teams.

The same is true for at least 1/2 of the Power 5 teams.  1/2 is being generous.  2/3 or 3/4 is probably closer.

I think you are starting to catch on. This is basically why it is harder in basketball because of the larger field. This is especially true for power 5 teams as you have now reduced the field to about 30 teams.
In basketball you have to compete against all 351 teams, or maybe only half of them since the requirement is that they are .500 teams.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-18, 09:57

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think you are starting to catch on. This is basically why it is harder in basketball because of the larger field. This is especially true for power 5 teams as you have now reduced the field to about 30 teams.
In basketball you have to compete against all 351 teams, or maybe only half of them since the requirement is that they are .500 teams.

B1G mailbag: Is playoff worth it for Penn State if it means 'Bama? - Page 4 1284110369
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-18, 10:09

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
DWags wrote:It's fucking hard to get to the final four in either sport. I can't imagine one school ever getting to both in one calendar year.

optimist. We suck at everything now. Join reality!

Women on campus are still beautiful, bars are still cool to hang out at, tailgates are fun as hell, restaurants are good to very good in the area.   My life, because of MSU, is great.  Now if those ****suckers Izzo and Dantonio would only get their shit together so I could live vicariously through their accomplishments.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-18, 10:23

We can actually track this for the Big Ten. Right now after two years of CFP the score of final four teams in each sport is tied at two each.

It looks like football is guaranteed one team this year with an outside chance of two. It will be interesting to see if adding more competition in basketball will actually make it easier to produce final fours in the long run. If teams like George Mason and Butler keep making it will that help the big ten produce even more final four basketball teams?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-11-18, 10:25

Herbie Green wrote:Try this: Make two bags of marbles. In the first pile put in 347 red marbles and 4 blue ones. In the 2nd one put in 124 red marbles and 4 blue ones. From which pile do you think you would have a better chance of picking a blue one? Try hundreds/thousands of trials to see if you guessed right.
You can even simulate what the college basketball tournament is like and first blindly pick 64 marbles from the bag of 351 marbles and then pick a marble. Will this increase your chances of getting a blue marble?

This is so dumb a remark you should be ashamed.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-18, 11:02

BleacherSwill wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Try this: Make two bags of marbles. In the first pile put in 347 red marbles and 4 blue ones. In the 2nd one put in 124 red marbles and 4 blue ones. From which pile do you think you would have a better chance of picking a blue one? Try hundreds/thousands of trials to see if you guessed right.
You can even simulate what the college basketball tournament is like and first blindly pick 64 marbles from the bag of 351 marbles and then pick a marble. Will this increase your chances of getting a blue marble?

This is so dumb a remark you should be ashamed.

You mean I should be ashamed because the concept is so simple I shouldn't need to walk people through this exercise?

It doesn't really bother me.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-19, 09:24

Moving the discussion along, I took a stab at assigning the odds of making a final four based on a couple of sub-groups:

Football
The top 64 - 8/128, 6.25%   (the "power 5")
The bottom 64 - 0/128, 0.00%

Basketball
The top 100 - 8/351, 2.28% (the power 5 + Big East, A10,etc)
The next 51 - 4/351, 1.14% (West Coast, Mtn West, etc)
The bottom 200 - 2/351, 0.57%

....Obviously this is not going to be "accurate" but maybe gives a decent rough idea.  You can assign whatever odds you want to each team, just remember that in the end it has to add up to exactly 4.0/128 and 4.0/351, the average odds of all teams making the final four.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-19, 10:14

Herbie Green wrote:Moving the discussion along, I took a stab at assigning the odds of making a final four based on a couple of sub-groups:

Football

Basketball

....Obviously this is not going to be "accurate" but maybe gives a decent rough idea.  You can assign whatever odds you want to each team, just remember that in the end it has to add up to exactly 4.0/128 and 4.0/351, the average odds of all teams making the final four.

You are bound and determined to beat this flawed analogy into the ground, aren't you?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-19, 10:57

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Moving the discussion along, I took a stab at assigning the odds of making a final four based on a couple of sub-groups:

Football

Basketball

You are bound and determined to beat this flawed analogy into the ground, aren't you?

I think it is actually an interesting discussion.  I am trying to move on from the "flawed analogy" (mathematical given) that was beaten into the ground.

Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

I will help you - earlier you said I was an idiot for saying Western had 0% odds, which I gave them again here. What do you think their odds really should be?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-20, 17:21

Football

Basketball

Wow crickets.

I notice the chance of making the football final four at 6.25% is very close to the chances of winning the Big Ten at 7.14% (1/14). This should come as no surprise. Even Nigel has seeminly addmitted that winning the Big Ten title in football equals a final four berth.

I guess you could almost reword the same question of which sport is more difficult to make a final four as - "what is easier in basketball, winning the big ten or going to the final four"?

I think most everyone would agree that going to the final four is more difficult. But I suppose some MSU fans are so spoiled they never stopped to consider how remarkable and improbable the record Izzo has. I think he has 7 Big Ten titles and 7 final fours. In football, that would be expected. In basketball I would venture to guess that Izzo's record vs seed expectation is the best in college basketball history.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-11-20, 18:02

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Football

Basketball

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-20, 18:32

Herbie Green wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

I think it is actually an interesting discussion.  I am trying to move on from the "flawed analogy" (mathematical given) that was beaten into the ground.

Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

I will help you - earlier you said I was an idiot for saying Western had 0% odds, which I gave them again here. What do you think their odds really should be?

I don't think that was me.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-03-28, 22:33

Update - One Big ten team made the football final four and zero Big Ten teams made the basketball final four
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-28, 22:34

Herbie Green wrote:Update - One Big ten team made the football final four and zero Big Ten teams made the basketball final four

Thanks!

I don't get it. But thanks!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-28, 22:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Update - One Big ten team made the football final four and zero Big Ten teams made the basketball final four

Thanks!

Me either. But hey, one big ten basketball team crashed in a plane and not one big ten football team crashed in a plane all season.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-28, 22:56

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Thanks!

Me either. But hey, one big ten basketball team crashed in a plane and not one big ten football team crashed in a plane all season.

Id argue that MSU football was basically a plane crash this year.

Heyoooooooooo!!!! Hahahaha I'm so good at this message board stuffs
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4