Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU

+4
steveschneider
Cameron
DWags
Motown Spartan
8 posters

Go down

Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU Empty Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Now most MSU fans see Appalachian State as a sister school because of a certain 2007 football game, where they beat No. 5 Michigan on their home turf, but the relationship is much deeper than that.

A Breif History In Appalachian State's history, they have made the NCAA tournament 2 times. Those years? 1979 and 2000. As all MSU fans know, these years coincide with Michigan State's two national titles. In other words, Michigan State is undefeated in the tournament when Appalachian State is in the field.

Now, this may be all coincidence. Surely Appalachian State making the tournament is independent of an MSU title, right? RIGHT?? Perhaps... but perhaps not.

Some Basic Mathematics Let's look at the years again, 1979 and 2000. Do you see it?

What if we throw in this year, 2021. What about now?

Yep, that is right, 21 years separate 1979 and 2000. It is now 21 years later and both teams are due for their milestone.

MSU's Late Hot Streak Despite how it looks, this is not an MSU team that won 3 top 5 matchups out of desperation. I mean c'mon, this is a team that lost by 14 to Northwestern, and 25 to Minnesota. I love Izzo just as much as the next guy does, but unless he sold his soul to save the streak (which honestly is a possibility), not even he could beat Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan all within less than two weeks?

No, instead this is the worst MSU team in the Izzo era that has been saved by fate. It was a luck that was destined that has carried them into the tournament. After all, they do need a tournament berth to win the title.

But you may say, well that's just MSU for you. After all, it is January, February, Izzo, April. Well let's look at Appalachian State.

Appalachian State's Late Run Appalachian State is the 4 seed in the East in the Sun Belt conference tournament. No not the 4 seed overall, 4 seed in the East. To get to the championship, they beat the 5 seed in the West (Little Rock), the 1 seed in the West (Texas State), and the 2 seed in the East (Coastal Carolina). The only team that lies between them and their 21 year destiny is the 1 seed in the East, Georgia State. This was not an easy path to get here, and perhaps impossible if not guided by the college basketball Gods. This is not an Appalachian State team that just got hot at the end of the season. No, this was a run guided by destiny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/m0sj4i/with_an_appalachian_state_win_tonight_michigan/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Cameron, tGreenWay, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU Empty Re: Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU

Post by DWags Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:54 pm

Amazing. And you bet we believe it. Fee gods sake we’re all up in here arguing about who starts threads and I’m thinking I gotta try to nap during important games
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU Empty Re: Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU

Post by Cameron Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 am

We deserved one last year, so karma put it on layaway for us.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Motown Spartan, AvgMSUJoe and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:01 am

DWags wrote:Amazing. And you bet we believe it. Fee gods sake we’re all up in here arguing about who starts threads and I’m thinking I gotta try to nap during important games

We’re all just joking around about the game thread. But you, you need your naps.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 am

Now that’s some March Madness right there. Really makes you think.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 am

we're gonna win all the games. Appalachian State won the Sun Belt. What that means for MSU 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am

If Marble becomes a dominant defender in the paint followed by some Bingham who looks to have some upside to his scoring, along with Hauser continuing his contributions that we saw against scUM, add in Rocket Watts who may be hitting peak performance right on time, Henry continues his balling and throw on Hoibergs +10 game vs scUM and we are cutting down some motherfuckin Nets.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am

steveschneider wrote:If Marble becomes a dominant defender in the paint followed by some Bingham who looks to have some upside to his scoring, along with Hauser continuing his contributions that we saw against scUM, add in Rocket Watts who may be hitting peak performance right on time, Henry continues his balling and throw on Hoibergs +10 game vs scUM and we are cutting down some motherfuckin Nets.

Steve, I love ya buddy, but if we’re relying on Hoiberg for just about anything, we ain’t gonna run the gauntlet.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:43 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:If Marble becomes a dominant defender in the paint followed by some Bingham who looks to have some upside to his scoring, along with Hauser continuing his contributions that we saw against scUM, add in Rocket Watts who may be hitting peak performance right on time, Henry continues his balling and throw on Hoibergs +10 game vs scUM and we are cutting down some motherfuckin Nets.

Steve, I love ya buddy, but if we’re relying on Hoiberg for just about anything, we ain’t gonna run the gauntlet.

I think he’s earned another look in the Big Ten tournament.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 am

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

He came in for Gabe in the 1st half. If he can stand in the corner and knock down 3s, I'll take it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 am

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I’m not downplaying Hoiberg. His minutes in the Michigan game were crucial. I’m just saying that relying on Hoiberg is not a championship winning option. We’d be sunk...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:53 am

I think Hoiberg's PT is more related to getting Hoggard to play under control then anything Hoiberg can do.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:08 am

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

He came in for Gabe in the 1st half. If he can stand in the corner and knock down 3s, I'll take it.

There was won moment where I thought he was going to let one rip. Glad he didn't but in the right situation I hope he does.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 am

Witchcraft!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down