Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn....

+10
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
NigelUno
Turtleneck
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
tTy
14 posters

Go down

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn.... Empty My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn....

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:05

It is in full on Charlie Brown mode... HFS........  No
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn.... Empty Re: My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn....

Post by InTenSity Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:10

Go cut down another one in your back yard.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn.... Empty Re: My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn....

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:11

You have to water the thing genius.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:12

Don't use sparklers to light it up.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:13

I wish I could upload video.  Needles are raining down off this thing if you even breath on it....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:20

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You have to water the thing genius.

It hasn't taken a drink since we brought it home.  I put a fresh cut on it before I put it up too... Cut it down myself as well...  Blue spruce...  my long haired cat is pollinating my house with pine needles.  She goes under that thing and comes out loaded with these motherfuckers and then runs around the house...
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:30

Better get some green pipe cleaners.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:39

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn.... Img_2010
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:40

Might as well just fucking embrace it man. Own it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:40

There are piles of needles under this thing.  Every once in a while an ornament falls from one of the boughs, and brings down hundreds of needles.  lmfao....  Even if A needle falls, it hits other needles and I can hear it raining needles onto the presents below.  This pic does not do it justice....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:41

tTy wrote:I wish I could upload video.  Needles are raining down off this thing if you even breath on it....
Went out with fam to cut down a tree to bring home years ago...somewhere up I-94 before Port Huron.

Got the thing home, put in a tree stand, and did all the decorations. About a week later noticed the carpeting under the tree had changed color in certain areas.

Went to look at the branches one evening and sorta freaked out. What looked like pine needles were moving in unison...would open out together and then close tighter to the branch together within a few seconds. Only time I ever took a tree out the door before New Years. Still not sure what the critters were.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Might as well just fucking embrace it man. Own it.

Oh, I am...  This tree is actually from my grandfathers tree farm in Hastings.  First one I've had from there since I was a child.  I happened to be down there for work during Thanksgiving and stopped by the ole place (my aunt owns it now) and got a tree.  Best tree I've had in 25 years.  Brought back a lot of good memories.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 23:44

The Pantry wrote:
tTy wrote:I wish I could upload video.  Needles are raining down off this thing if you even breath on it....
Went out with fam to cut down a tree to bring home years ago...somewhere up I-94 before Port Huron.

Got the thing home, put in a tree stand, and did all the decorations.  About a week later noticed the carpeting under the tree had changed color in certain areas.  

Went to look at the branches one evening and sorta freaked out.  What looked like pine needles were moving in unison...would open out together and then close tighter to the branch together within a few seconds.  Only time I ever took a tree out the door before New Years.  Still not sure what the critters were.    

I read something about looking the F out for praying mantis cocoons once, but that is about it.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 0:00

Have you checked the tree for squirrels?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 8:56

Termites.

Once they're done with the tree, they'll start on the house.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:21

What do you guys pay for a tree from a lot in the city?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:29

Christmas trees are a pretty weird thing anyway right? Like why are we cutting down a tree and bringing it into the house just so we can throw it out later? Pretty weird. Maybe just put some decorations on the end table and call it a day
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:29

You're supposed to buy a new one every year. Not recycle last year's.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:31

We've had a fake tree for years. No mess, no maintenance. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:32

My wife is gonna make me get a real tree every year till I fucking die, or kill myself putting that fucker up. We have a fake one for the basement, I'm trying to talk her into a fake one upstairs. But she's old fashioned.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 9:40

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Christmas trees are a pretty weird thing anyway right? Like why are we cutting down a tree and bringing it into the house just so we can throw it out later? Pretty weird. Maybe just put some decorations on the end table and call it a day

The war on Christmas continues.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:00

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Christmas trees are a pretty weird thing anyway right? Like why are we cutting down a tree and bringing it into the house just so we can throw it out later? Pretty weird. Maybe just put some decorations on the end table and call it a day

The war on Christmas continues.

Keep the mass in Christmas otpt
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:05

Blue spruce are the worst for needle loss. Stick to Scotch Pine.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Better get some green pipe cleaners.

My fucking Christmas Tree isn't going to make it to Christmas morn.... 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 10:24

The Pantry wrote:

Got the thing home, put in a tree stand, and did all the decorations. About a week later noticed the carpeting under the tree had changed color in certain areas.

Went to look at the branches one evening and sorta freaked out. What looked like pine needles were moving in unison...would open out together and then close tighter to the branch together within a few seconds. Only time I ever took a tree out the door before New Years. Still not sure what the critters were.

Sawfly larvae would be my guess.

CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 18:44

CheesySpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Went out with fam to cut down a tree to bring home years ago...somewhere up I-94 before Port Huron.

Yeah, looked something like that. Was weird as hell. They'd take over sections of branches and the whole area would open and close together. Pretty sure they were eating the needles and were either shitting them out or remnants of the needles were falling, causing the powdery discoloration on the floor.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 19:11

The Pantry wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Yeah, looked something like that. Was weird as hell. They'd take over sections of branches and the whole area would open and close together. Pretty sure they were eating the needles and were either shitting them out or remnants of the needles were falling, causing the powdery discoloration on the floor.

Yep. FWIW its a defense mechanism. That's exactly what they would do.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 21:08

CheesySpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Yeah, looked something like that. Was weird as hell. They'd take over sections of branches and the whole area would open and close together. Pretty sure they were eating the needles and were either shitting them out or remnants of the needles were falling, causing the powdery discoloration on the floor.

Thanks for solving a 15-20 year old mystery. Are you an entomologist or botanist?

Only Christmas tree I have ever experienced like it. Personally cut that tree down maybe the first week of December and remember some snow on the ground. Dormant and didn't hatch until warming up in the house?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 21:21

The Pantry wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Thanks for solving a 15-20 year old mystery. Are you an entomologist or botanist?

Only Christmas tree I have ever experienced like it. Personally cut that tree down maybe the first week of December and remember some snow on the ground. Dormant and didn't hatch until warming up in the house?

No problem. Glad to help. Yes, they were dormant till brought into your home and its heat. The castings were from their consumption of the needles. My degree from MSU includes a horticulture component. Plenty of entomology included with that.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 23:30

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Sun 25 Dec 2016 - 0:34

There is now a pile of needles under my tree over an inch thick....  Tree is going out the door as soon as the kids get done shredding their presents and getting them out of the way.  I'll post and after pic, prior to cleanup....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 27 Dec 2016 - 15:51

tTy wrote:There is now a pile of needles under my tree over an inch thick....  Tree is going out the door as soon as the kids get done shredding their presents and getting them out of the way.  I'll post and after pic, prior to cleanup....

I don't think we're getting this pic.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down