Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group of five considering their own championship

+8
Turtleneck
AnomanderRake
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
Clarett's Folly
DWags
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Group of five considering their own championship Empty Group of five considering their own championship

Post by DWags 2016-12-29, 09:18

Just was on Mike and Mike. No links. They've been considering their own playoff type championship.

Interesting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Group of five considering their own championship Empty Re: Group of five considering their own championship

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-12-29, 09:21

Dumb, they should be lobbying for a lower scholarship limit so they can actually compete for the big prize instead of trying to determine the JV champion.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Group of five considering their own championship Empty Re: Group of five considering their own championship

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-12-29, 09:22

What is the "group of five" and who the hell comes up with these names? That seriously sounds like some shit you'd have in lord of the rings or something. "We group of five do doth declare that we shall have our own playoff and it will be merry and grand! Har har!"
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-12-29, 09:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What is the "group of five" and who the hell comes up with these names? That seriously sounds like some shit you'd have in lord of the rings or something. "We group of five do doth declare that we shall have our own playoff and it will be merry and grand! Har har!"
They went with Group of 5, rather than 'The other 5'.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-12-29, 09:24

No interesting about it.  

They know what's coming.  Power Five  to an 8 game playoff, limiting participants to the Power Five ( plus ND?)  locking  out interlopers like Western Michigan.

Had they had their expanded championship this year its possible PSU and umaa would have joined OSU with Wisconsin on the outside looking in.

This puts the next five a step closer to D2 with a possible income source.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2016-12-29, 09:28; edited 3 times in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-29, 09:24

The AAC ,Conference USA (C-USA), the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the Mountain West Conference (MW), and the Sun Belt Conference.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-12-29, 09:25

InTenSity wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What is the "group of five" and who the hell comes up with these names? That seriously sounds like some shit you'd have in lord of the rings or something. "We group of five do doth declare that we shall have our own playoff and it will be merry and grand! Har har!"
They went with Group of 5, rather than 'The other 5'.

That sounds more like it would be the bad guys from lord of the rings or some shit. "The other five will ruin your good time playoffs with our own nefarious plans. We're going to do it while playing with our pencil thin moustaches. Har har."
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-29, 09:27

Would a group of five team ever get in a four team playoff? How close did Western come this year?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-12-29, 09:28

DWags wrote:Would a group of five team ever get in a four team playoff? How close did Western come this year?

Western is currently ranked #12. I think the non P5 team would need to go undefeated and all P5 teams would have to have 3 losses.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-12-29, 09:29

DWags wrote:Would a group of five team ever get in a four team playoff? How close did Western come this year?

Not very.

Maybe, but they'd have to be undefeated for like 4 seasons in a row or something. And while the past seasons don't officially matter, let's be real, it would matter.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-12-29, 19:14

The Group of 7 and the former (and likely future) Group of 8 would like a word with you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-12-30, 08:39

It makes sense. In the current format, there's absolutely no chance for a G5 team to make the playoff. They can't even get enough ranked P5 teams on their schedule to build a case for themselves.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 08:49

AnomanderRake wrote:It makes sense. In the current format, there's absolutely no chance for a G5 team to make the playoff. They can't even get enough ranked P5 teams on their schedule to build a case for themselves.

Probably the best MAC team we'll ever see in our lifetime at Western. I don't doubt they can beat Wisconsin. But they're #15. That's it. IF they win, they might get near the top 10. No way does a group of five team ever get in. Houston this year? maybe but I doubt it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 11:47

DWags wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:It makes sense. In the current format, there's absolutely no chance for a G5 team to make the playoff. They can't even get enough ranked P5 teams on their schedule to build a case for themselves.

Probably the best MAC team we'll ever see in our lifetime at Western. I don't doubt they can beat Wisconsin. But they're #15. That's it. IF they win, they might get near the top 10. No way does a group of five team ever get in. Houston this year? maybe but I doubt it.

The following teams would like to have a word with you, DWags.

The 1974 & 75 Miami teams. In 1974, they finished 10-0-1 and beat Georgia in the Citrus Bowl. In 1975, their only loss was a one point loss to MSU, finished just outside the top 10, and beat South Carolina in the Citrus Bowl .

The 1999 Marshall team led by Chad Pennington. They finished 13-0 and ranked in the top 10.

The 2003 Miami team led by Ben Roethlisberger. They finished 13-1 and ranked in the top 10.

The 2012 NIU team finished 12-2 and ranked #24. They opened the season with a one point loss to Iowa at Soldier Field and did not lose again until the Orange Bowl against Florida State.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-12-30, 12:01

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

The 1974 & 75 Miami teams. In 1974, they finished 10-0-1 and beat Georgia in the Citrus Bowl. In 1975, their only loss was a one point loss to MSU, finished just outside the top 10, and beat South Carolina in the Citrus Bowl .

The 1999 Marshall team led by Chad Pennington. They finished 13-0 and ranked in the top 10.

The 2003 Miami team led by Ben Roethlisberger. They finished 13-1 and ranked in the top 10.

The 2012 NIU team finished 12-2 and ranked #24. They opened the season with a one point loss to Iowa at Soldier Field and did not lose again until the Orange Bowl against Florida State.

Dwags getting his own history lesson served to him today
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 13:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Really? This western team could beat any of those listed.
Especially the NIU fraud.

74 Georgia went 6-6. Got their shit pushed in by miss state and lost Houston
75 South Carolina was 7-5.

99 Marshall had to beat a 6-6 Clemson team and a 8-4 BYU team

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 13:31

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Not being the MAC historian you thought you were is nothing to tilt about.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 13:34

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Keep reading. 2003 Miami team got analed by Iowa the only tough team they played. Iowa was 10-3 and lost to us that year.

I think the teams you mentioned are damn good. But Western would beat them all. Maybe the 2003 Miami team would be fun. They could score.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 13:36

I'm not going to even bring up the NIU team. Seriously? That boat would have rowed the shit over them
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 13:47

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Keep reading.  2003 Miami team got analed by Iowa the only tough team they played.  Iowa was 10-3 and lost to us that year.

I think the teams you mentioned are damn good. But Western would beat them all. Maybe the 2003 Miami team would be fun. They could score.

I do not need to keep reading. You have not told me one thing I do not already know.

Convenient you mention that Iowa lost to MSU in 2003, but fail to mention they finished 10-3 with a win over Florida in the Outback Bowl. So they were a solid team.

I am not sure how you call into question other team's schedules when WMU has a one point win over a mediocre Northwestern team and beat up on 3-9 Illinois. It is not like there is anything super impressive - relatively to the teams I mentioned - in their non-conference schedule.

Maybe you should do a little more reading...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 13:52

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Keep reading. 2003 Miami team got analed by Iowa the only tough team they played. Iowa was 10-3 and lost to us that year.

The 1999 Marshal team could score. They were top 10 in scoring offense. They were also top 10 in scoring defense. They were outstanding on both sides of the ball. They averaged close to 40ppg and gave up around 10ppg.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-30, 14:22

Group of five considering their own championship 1f6a3
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-12-30, 14:28

Football nerds getting what-what?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-12-30, 14:29

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

The 1999 Marshal team could score. They were top 10 in scoring offense. They were also top 10 in scoring defense. They were outstanding on both sides of the ball. They averaged close to 40ppg and gave up around 10ppg.

That Marshall team brings back memories. Maybe the funniest RCMB invasion ever by opposing fans happened in the summer of 2000. Pennington, of course, had graduated but their fans spent all summer telling the RCMB how Byron Leftwich was 8' tall, shot fireballs out of his arse was going to kick MSU's ass.

They brought a fair number of fans to EL. The ones I interacted with were decent folk. I remember showing one guy Comp's 83 page Marshall scouting report from the Spartan Plus email and all he could say was "this guy knows more about Marshall than we do at this point".

Cool story, I know.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 14:32

gHost Spartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I do not need to keep reading. You have not told me one thing I do not already know.

Convenient you mention that Iowa lost to MSU in 2003, but fail to mention they finished 10-3 with a win over Florida in the Outback Bowl. So they were a solid team.

I am not sure how you call into question other team's schedules when WMU has a one point win over a mediocre Northwestern team and beat up on 3-9 Illinois. It is not like there is anything super impressive - relatively to the teams I mentioned - in their non-conference schedule.

Those NIU teams were very, very good. Also, it's worth noting that Western played Northwestern in the early part of the season when NW was dogshit. Let's not forget that NW lost AT HOME to an FCS school. NW got a lot better as the season progressed and even won their bowl game. I'm not sure Western would beat NW if they played next week.

I hadn't realized that the Pennington-led Marshall team was in the MAC until I looked it up. For some reason I thought that they were not in the conference until Leftwich was their QB but I guess I was wrong.

But I agree that this Western team isn't the best MAC team ever.

If they beat Wisconsin they will have earned the right to be considered the best.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 14:52

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Keep reading.  2003 Miami team got analed by Iowa the only tough team they played.  Iowa was 10-3 and lost to us that year.

I did say they were 10-3. But you're right Western isn't a top five all time mac team. I concede. Well done
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 15:25

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I did say they were 10-3. But you're right Western isn't a top five all time mac team. I concede. Well done

Where did I say that, DWags? Point out where I said they are not a top five all-time MAC team? I simply said they have some competition for the right to be called the best all-time MAC team. A couple of posts up I even said...

Turtleneck wrote:
If they beat Wisconsin they will have earned the right to be considered the best.

Sorry I challenged you about something football related. I did not realize you were going to go all Tilty McTilterson on me.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 16:54

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Where did I say that, DWags? Point out where I said they are not a top five all-time MAC team? I simply said they have some competition for the right to be called the best all-time MAC team. A couple of posts up I even said...

Turtleneck wrote:

Sorry I challenged you about something football related. I did not realize you were going to go all Tilty McTilterson on me.

Dude, I'm not upset. I just realized this is unprovable. I don't know shit about the 74,75 teams. I was making a point about a team who sports center did a game day for, who is damn good and who is very much talked about yet wasn't even brought up by the committee as a possible top four playoff. Not a mention.

But you did imply
74 Miami (1)
75 Miami (2)
99 Marshall (3)
03 Miami (4)
12 NIU (5)

Were better because they would like a word. When I said I didn't think Western would lose to those teams and wasn't that impressed with their bowl victories over 6-6 sec teams I was called tilts. And shit, I figured you're right. How do you prove that?

My point stands. A MAC team will never be considered. Ever.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:16

DWags wrote: Dude, I'm not upset.

You really need to calm down, DWags. This is nothing to flip out about. I wish you would just take a deep breath and relax.

DWags wrote:I just realized this is unprovable.

While true, that is what makes these kinds of discussions fun.

DWags wrote:I don't know shit about the 74,75 teams.

That is not what I hear. I was told you were at the 75 game against MSU yelling at Stolz from the stands.

DWags wrote:I was making a point about a team who sports center did a game day for, who is damn good and who is very much talked about yet wasn't even brought up by the committee as a possible top four playoff. Not a mention.

But you did imply
74 Miami (1)
75 Miami (2)
99 Marshall (3)
03 Miami (4)
12 NIU (5)

How did I imply that, DWags? Those were not put in any order other than chronological. Notice the first team listed is from 1974, and the last team from 2012. Those are just five teams who might be in competition for best all-time MAC team. You saying that is some kind of order other than chronological is you making things up.

DWags wrote:Were better because they would like a word.  When I said I didn't think Western would lose to those teams and wasn't that impressed with their bowl victories over 6-6 sec teams I was called tilts. And shit, I figured you're right. How do you prove that?  

My point stands.  A MAC team will never be considered.  Ever.

When I said "they would like a word," it was clear I meant these teams should be mentioned in any conversation about the best all-time MAC team. I am not sure how you interpreted that any other way. It was clearly not "Hey, here is a list of MAC teams better than the 2016 WMU team." Cleary this WMU team is in contention for the claim, and if they win deserve to be at the top of the list.

Of course a MAC team will never be considered. I am not aware of me saying otherwise. I have been saying for years that IA football is broken. It is haves and have nots, and the have nots will never get the same shot at a championship as the haves. Personally, I think the NCAA needs to subdivide CFB even further. The number of IA teams needs to be significantly reduced.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-12-30, 17:19; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 17:18

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote: Dude, I'm not upset.

You really need to calm down, DWags. This is nothing to flip out about. I wish you would just take a deep breath and relax.

DWags wrote:I just realized this is unprovable.

DWags wrote:I don't know shit about the 74,75 teams.

That is not what I hear. I was told you were at the 75 game against MSU yelling at Stolz from the stands.

DWags wrote:I was making a point about a team who sports center did a game day for, who is damn good and who is very much talked about yet wasn't even brought up by the committee as a possible top four playoff. Not a mention.

But you did imply
74 Miami (1)
75 Miami (2)
99 Marshall (3)
03 Miami (4)
12 NIU (5)

How did I imply that, DWags? Those were not put in any order other than chronological. Notice the first team listed is a team from 1974 and the last team is from 2012. Those are just five teams who might be in competition for best all-time MAC team. You saying that is some kind of order other than chronological is you making things up.

DWags wrote:Were better because they would like a word.  When I said I didn't think Western would lose to those teams and wasn't that impressed with their bowl victories over 6-6 sec teams I was called tilts. And shit, I figured you're right. How do you prove that?  

My point stands.  A MAC team will never be considered.  Ever.

When I said "they would like a word," it was clear I meant these teams should be mentioned in any conversation about the best all-time MAC team. I am not sure how you interpreted that any other way. It was clearly not "Hey, here is a list of MAC teams better than the 2016 MSU team."

Of course a MAC team will never be considered. I am not aware of me saying otherwise. I have been saying for years that IA football is broken. It is haves and have nots, and the have nots will never get the same shot at a championship as the haves. Personally, I think  the NCAA needs to subdivide CFB and the number of IA teams needs to be drastically reduced.

OK. Well done.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:20

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

How did I imply that, DWags? Those were not put in any order other than chronological. Notice the first team listed is a team from 1974 and the last team is from 2012. Those are just five teams who might be in competition for best all-time MAC team. You saying that is some kind of order other than chronological is you making things up.

When I said "they would like a word," it was clear I meant these teams should be mentioned in any conversation about the best all-time MAC team. I am not sure how you interpreted that any other way. It was clearly not "Hey, here is a list of MAC teams better than the 2016 MSU team."

Of course a MAC team will never be considered. I am not aware of me saying otherwise. I have been saying for years that IA football is broken. It is haves and have nots, and the have nots will never get the same shot at a championship as the haves. Personally, I think  the NCAA needs to subdivide CFB and the number of IA teams needs to be drastically reduced.

OK. Well done.

Now you have just lost it. I am calling Child Protective Services to come get the cat.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 17:24

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

OK. Well done.

Now you have just lost it. I am calling Child Protective Services to come get the cat.

My cat would shoot them and take a hot shower. I'm drunk leaving the road house. My 17 year old will drive back after the game. I think I'm a bad father making her watch me drink.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:27

On the way back she can tell you about the 1999 Marshall team.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 17:31

Turtleneck wrote:On the way back she can tell you about the 1999 Marshall team.

Ha. She does recognize defenses. I think I've fucked her relationships with guys up. I've heard her explaining to a guy what a 4-3 under is. Told her not to do that anymore.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:32

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:On the way back she can tell you about the 1999 Marshall team.

Ha. She does recognize defenses. I think I've fucked her relationships with guys up. I've heard her explaining to a guy what a 4-3 under is. Told her not to do that anymore.

Was your daughter in Remember the Titans when she was younger?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-30, 17:34

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Group of five considering their own championship 502811600

I really haven't imparted anything valuable to them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:39

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Group of five considering their own championship 502811600

I really haven't imparted anything valuable to them.

They go to MSU, right? Teaching them about MSU is the best thing you ever did as a father.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-12-30, 17:41

We get it, Turtleneck, you wish DWags was your dad.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-30, 17:45

Death Roe wrote:We get it, Turtleneck, you wish DWags was your dad.

Don't worry, DR. I will not take him away from you. He is all yours.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-12-30, 18:03

GreenWay is my dad.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next