Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seinfeld isn't funny

+47
Watch Out Pylon!
Sponge Worthy
Marc Summers
Johnny Alpamayo
Echos Myron
Death Roe
Achtung Baby
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Rocinante
CrazySparty
Punisher98
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jethro Bodeen
AMwood
Dolph Ziggler
MiamiSpartan
Bizarro Fletch
Blanch32
Cosmo_Kramer
NigelUno
MasonGuy
MJ
Masturbating Bear
Giant Moose
PinkyTuscadero
tTito
Spartan Pride
LoneWolfSparty
Notorious GiB
DWags
Frank Ricard
Venice
xsanguine
BtothejizA
Ted Brogan
Gomer
RubberbandMan
Rodeo Burger
WBill
JEK
Turtleneck
InTenSity
steveschneider
pulling69
Ass Dan
51 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Seinfeld isn't funny Empty Seinfeld isn't funny

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-01, 23:33

I've given it a hundred chances, it doesn't make me laugh. It's a sitcom with a laugh track and completely predictable story lines. It's okay, at best
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and TrapperGus like this post

Back to top Go down

Seinfeld isn't funny Empty Re: Seinfeld isn't funny

Post by pulling69 2014-06-01, 23:35

Ban
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-06-01, 23:35

I often give things I don't like at least 100 chances.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-06-01, 23:36

Never really watched it. Understand a few references, but thought it was ..meh.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-06-01, 23:37

Ass Dan wrote:I've given it a hundred chances, it doesn't make me laugh. It's a sitcom with a laugh track and completely predictable story lines. It's okay, at best

Mods, please ban poster Ass Dan.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-06-01, 23:46

It was great in its day. Doesn't hold up now though. Larry David is a better comedic actor than writer.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-06-01, 23:53

Anytime someone posts something like this they should have to post what they think is funny.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-02, 00:00

Comedy rarely has legs. Reruns are fine for the original fans, but the text message generation doesn't understand much of anything. And the TM generation hasn't seen a good comedy in their own time either. They're a humorless bunch. Jaded too. Decent baristas though, until they realize they'll be baristas forever.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-06-02, 00:09

Rodeo Burger wrote:Comedy rarely has legs.  Reruns are fine for the original fans, but the text message generation doesn't understand much of anything.  And the TM generation hasn't seen a good comedy in their own time either.  

Community. Modern Family, for the more mainstream among you. Rick and Morty too, but that's animation, and the old farts on here probably don't watch anything that isn't shot on a film reel.

And for the record, a good amount of the "text message generation" still likes/enjoys shows like Seinfeld. Hell, one of my favorite shows is Hogan's Heroes, and that's as dated as they come.
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-06-02, 00:14

Ass Dan wrote:I've given it a hundred chances, it doesn't make me laugh. It's a sitcom with a laugh track and completely predictable story lines. It's okay, at best

Seinfeld isn't funny Tumblr_inline_mt97capHjz1qet2td
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-06-02, 00:14

RubberbandMan wrote:

Community. Modern Family, for the more mainstream among you. Rick and Morty too, but that's animation, and the old farts on here probably don't watch anything that isn't shot on a film reel.

And for the record, a good amount of the "text message generation" still likes/enjoys shows like Seinfeld. Hell, one of my favorite shows is Hogan's Heroes, and that's as dated as they come.
Never watched MF, but The Office and 30 Rock are in my top 5 sitcoms with Seinfeld, Cheers, and The Cosby Show. Honeymooners sits at #6.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-02, 00:26

RubberbandMan wrote:

Those shows were by, for and about a generation other than the Millenials. The baristas are still waiting for "their" show. Though I applaud them for finding something they don't complain about, I had thought it was their only skill.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-06-02, 00:38

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Those shows were by, for and about a generation other than the Millenials.   The baristas are still waiting for "their" show.  Though I applaud them for finding something they don't complain about, I had thought it was their only skill.

Are you serious? You think Community and Rick and Morty have their target demographics in the 35-60 age group?  lol! 

Your problem with Millenials isn't their lack of taste, it's the fact that they're the next generation.
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-02, 00:54

RubberbandMan wrote:

Are you serious? You think Community and Rick and Morty have their target demographics in the 35-60 age group?  lol! 

Your problem with Millenials isn't their lack of taste, it's the fact that they're the next generation.

Seinfeld isn't funny 502811600 

Seinfeld averaged a 20% rating. 1 in 5 people watching TV were watching Seinfeld.

Community (when it wasn't following The Office) peaked at 1.9%. Yep, 1/10th of the Seinfeld viewership.

Rick and Morty has had 1 short season, and has, (how shall I put this gently?), more humble ratings.

Let's not compare those shows, just out of respect for the people who worked hard on the shows that no one watches.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan 2014-06-02, 00:58

Seinfeld isn't funny WVd9jdB
Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-06-02, 01:10

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Seinfeld averaged a 20% rating.  1 in 5 people watching TV were watching Seinfeld.

Community (when it wasn't following The Office) peaked at 1.9%.  Yep, 1/10th of the Seinfeld viewership.  

Rick and Morty has had 1 short season, and has, (how shall I put this gently?), more humble ratings.

Let's not compare those shows, just out of respect for the people who worked hard on the shows that no one watches.

The television market is changing. Yes, the generations who are currently dying off love their network television, but most Millenials stream shows online. That and the increasing amount of options means that there likely won't be a show that captures 20% of a television market for Millenials for a long time.

Your original criteria was quality of programming. Then, when confronted with examples that gave your argument trouble, you fell back on TV ratings, which are a strange criteria to use to judge a generation that hardly contributes to those ratings.

Face it, you just have an issue with the younger generation because they remind you of your mortality and rapidly approaching irrelevance.  Wink 
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-02, 01:21

RubberbandMan wrote:

The television market is changing. Yes, the generations who are currently dying off love their network television, but most Millenials stream shows online. That and the increasing amount of options means that there likely won't be a show that captures 20% of a television market for Millenials for a long time.

Your original criteria was quality of programming. Then, when confronted with examples that gave your argument trouble, you fell back on TV ratings, which are a strange criteria to use to judge a generation that hardly contributes to those ratings.

Face it, you just have an issue with the younger generation because they remind you of your mortality and rapidly approaching irrelevance.  Wink 

Rolling Eyes 

OK bro. But you should change your name to Nickelback. Be who you are.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA 2014-06-02, 01:36

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Seinfeld averaged a 20% rating.  1 in 5 people watching TV were watching Seinfeld.

Community (when it wasn't following The Office) peaked at 1.9%.  Yep, 1/10th of the Seinfeld viewership.  

When Seinfeld was at it's peak there were like 15 TV channels and no internet or DVR.

BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-06-02, 01:47

Sitcoms never really did it for me.

I'd rather watch X-Files or Brisco County Jr (hence my av) all day over a laugh track type show. I guess as far as sitcoms go, Seinfeld is pretty good... much better than that Friends shit.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-02, 01:58

BtothejizA wrote:

When Seinfeld was at it's peak there were like 15 TV channels and no internet or DVR.

There were many more channels than that, but OK.

Seinfeld was the talk of the water cooler every Friday morning at every office in the world. That kind of buzz can't be recreated, it never has been since. And it's not like there are people dying to talk about Rick and Morty.

Seinfeld had a uniqueness that DOMINATED the 18 to 49 age group. Shows since then have done well, but not nearly as well, and always in much narrower segments.

A show could certainly come along that is captivating, but until the main theme moves on from the "Boo hoo, where are my frontiers?" mentality, it just won't resonate with anyone other than the Millennials, who for some reason think they are unique in feeling unappreciated and underpaid.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Venice 2014-06-02, 03:01

gHost Spartan wrote:I think it's the greatest sitcom ever. To each their own. Back in the day you were either Seinfeld or Friends, maybe you were / are more of a Friends type fan.

ever seen All in the Family? The Honeymooners ?

Who on those shows is funnier than Jackie Gleason , Art Carney, Carol O'Conner, Jean Fucking Stapleton?

Courtney Cox j Anniston ? HoHo. Kramer is a straight rip off of Ed Norton. Carney should have gotten fucking residuals Julia Louise Drryfus has some chops but she's got a long way to go
Venice
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-06-02, 04:20

Venice wrote:

ever seen All in the Family?  The Honeymooners ?

Who on those shows is funnier than Jackie Gleason , Art Carney, Carol O'Conner,  Jean Fucking Stapleton?

Courtney Cox j Anniston ?   HoHo.  Kramer is a straight rip off of Ed Norton. Carney should have gotten fucking residuals  Julia Louise Drryfus has some chops but she's got a long way to go

I'd have to go with All in the Family as the No. 1 sitcom of all time. Seinfeld would have to be right up there tho, maybe No. 2. Thank god this is 'merica because everyone has the right to be wrong if they disagree with me.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-02, 05:28

BtothejizA wrote:

Wtf? When I was in college we had 100 channels. And that was in the mid 80's.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-02, 05:47

Curb your enthusiasm is also terrible. Neuroses aren't funny, they're annoying.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-02, 06:24

Ass Dan wrote:Curb your enthusiasm is also terrible. Neuroses aren't funny, they're annoying.

I think the problem here is that you're taking what you find funny and not funny and trying to shoehorn it into everybody. Nobody can make you think something is funny if it doesn't strike you as such. This thread isn't about generational issues on this board (there is a wide range of ages here) as much as it's about what strikes you as funny.

My 17 and 13 year old think Ridicullessness is funny as hell, they watch it all the time. I don't. I have a 50 year old friend that laughs his ass off at it.

If you're looking for a consensus as to what is funny and what isn't, good luck with that. It's like saying my favorite color is blue and everybody else's should be or you're an idiot.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-06-02, 06:48

Don't be an ass, dan.  Seinfeld isn't funny 506486848 Seinfeld isn't funny 2943907172 Seinfeld isn't funny 2130724145 Seinfeld isn't funny 2809484752 
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-06-02, 06:50

pulling69 wrote:Ban

It's comments like this that show why you shouldn't be a mod. Keep that word on the RCMB where it belongs.
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-02, 06:59

DWags wrote:

I think the problem here is that you're taking what you find funny and not funny and trying to shoehorn it into everybody. Nobody can make you think something is funny if it doesn't strike you as such. This thread isn't about generational issues on this board (there is a wide range of ages here) as much as it's about what strikes you as funny.

My 17 and 13 year old think Ridicullessness is funny as hell, they watch it all the time. I don't. I have a 50 year old friend that laughs his ass off at it.

If you're looking for a consensus as to what is funny and what isn't, good luck with that. It's like saying my favorite color is blue and everybody else's should be or you're an idiot.

Ridiculousness isn't funny
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-02, 07:04

True story. And any funny parts are over shadowed by Jerry's incessant whining.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-02, 07:26

Ass Dan wrote:

Ridiculousness isn't funny

Yeah, or this thread. Good effort though.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride 2014-06-02, 07:45

I've met Dan in person. Very unfunny guy. And his face looks like ass.
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-06-02, 08:27

gHost Spartan wrote:I think it's the greatest sitcom ever. To each their own. Back in the day you were either Seinfeld or Friends, maybe you were / are more of a Friends type fan.

Gave you a like.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkyTuscadero 2014-06-02, 08:29

Someone give me a brick. I"ll set the guy straight
PinkyTuscadero
PinkyTuscadero
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-06-02, 08:54

It's still funny, but a lot of it not resonating with some today was because Seinfeld wasn't allowed to go into taboo things too deeply, and mainly had to do it with puns and beat around the bush to get it to be allowed to air on network TV.

If Seinfeld was around today with standards being more lenient on what you can say/do on network TV, it would seem a lot more fresh to future generations.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Masturbating Bear 2014-06-02, 08:59

Ass Dan isn't funny
Masturbating Bear
Masturbating Bear
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-02, 09:00

Not a fan of it either.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-06-02, 09:04

Do I honestly have to debate from an data metrics perspective if I liked Seinfeld or even worse if I thought it was funny? Bad thread.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-06-02, 09:07

Other people that do not like Seinfeld...The Taliban and Vladimir Putin. Just saying.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-06-02, 09:09

Anyone here a fan of Comedian's in Cars? I highly recommend it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-02, 09:13

OH NOES! SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I DO!!  Seinfeld isn't funny 1550444538
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down