Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet?

+8
Steve81
Watch Out Pylon!
GRR Spartan
duffy munn
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
12 posters

Go down

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? Empty Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-10, 18:49

If not, now we do.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? Empty Re: Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet?

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-10, 18:51

Casket Casket
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? Empty Re: Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-02-10, 18:52

tGreenWay wrote:Casket Casket

Please stop. This is a grave matter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-10, 18:56

I have mixed feelings on Mr. I. But he certainly is a Detroit icon, and he resurrected both the Wings and (eventually) the Tigers. RIP to a local legend.

I'm guessing Chris is gonna start slashing payroll pretty quickly. Hope I'm wrong.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-10, 19:05

Please sell the Tigers. I hear Mark Cuban still wants to buy an MLB team...
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-02-10, 19:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have mixed feelings on Mr. I. But he certainly is a Detroit icon, and he resurrected both the Wings and (eventually) the Tigers. RIP to a local legend.

I'm guessing Chris is gonna start slashing payroll pretty quickly. Hope I'm wrong.

I also have mixed feelings on Illitch. He gets way to much credit for "saving" Detroit. In reality, everything he did was calculated to make money for himself.

This, and he flat out ruined the pizza business.

Oh well, RIP Mr. I.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-02-10, 19:08

Death Roe wrote:Please sell the Tigers. I hear Mark Cuban still wants to buy an MLB team...

So does Gilbert. Tried to buy the Brewers 14-15 years ago.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-02-10, 19:23

Illitch was buying Detroit properties and building a payroll that won Stanley Cups.

I was working on the new Little Ceasar's HQ in Farminton Hills when Mike and Marion did a 180, bought the Fox Theater which was a mess and relocated HQ to its present location.

Illitch took a chance when nearly everyone else couldn't wait to get out of town.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-02-10, 19:28

Illitch should sell the Tigers to the owners of Jet's Pizza. Keep the tradition alive.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 19:31

RIP - he was a great man.

Detroit owes him much.

Sports fans and residents.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 19:32

duffy munn wrote:I also have mixed feelings on Illitch. He gets way to much credit for "saving" Detroit. In reality, everything he did was calculated to make money for himself.

Jesus that's shallow thinking. Did you expect him to lose $$ at everything? There wouldn't be much saving to be done without $$.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve81 2017-02-10, 19:40

Well, Anastos is in all black on the bench
Steve81
Steve81
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-02-10, 19:43

LooseGoose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:I also have mixed feelings on Illitch. He gets way to much credit for "saving" Detroit. In reality, everything he did was calculated to make money for himself.

Jesus that's shallow thinking. Did you expect him to lose $$ at everything? There wouldn't be much saving to be done without $$.

He was a very sharp and shrewd businessman. There is no question about that.

But the people thinking he was some great philanthropist and saved Detroit just because he loved the city are kidding themselves.

Sure, he loved the city of Detroit. He loved himself and money much more.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 19:48

duffy munn wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

But the people thinking he was some great philanthropist and saved Detroit just because he loved the city are kidding themselves.

Just like most people that use their own $$ to "save" things. If you're using other people's $$ I guess it doesn't matter if you make $$.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-02-10, 19:50

Oh shit he actually died. RIP.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 19:58

Great collection of photos with this story. Worth browsing - how many remember the "Caesars" softball team? They were legendary when I was in HS.

How 'legendary' owner Mike Ilitch made Detroit 'Hockeytown'
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-02-10, 20:02

LooseGoose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Just like most people that use their own $$ to "save" things. If you're using other people's $$ I guess it doesn't matter if you make $$.

I'm not begrudging the man for making billions. Just pointing out that far too many people praise him for being a savior.

As far as "other peoples $$", Illitch used plenty of it. The tax breaks he got in Foxtown were enormous. When he was buying up property around his present and future holdings for pennies on the dollar, he wasn't saving people. He was screwing them.

And Comerica Park and soon to be hockey arena didn't build themselves.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-10, 20:10

duffy munn wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have mixed feelings on Mr. I. But he certainly is a Detroit icon, and he resurrected both the Wings and (eventually) the Tigers. RIP to a local legend.

I also have mixed feelings on Illitch. He gets way to much credit for "saving" Detroit. In reality, everything he did was calculated to make money for himself.

This, and he flat out ruined the pizza business.

Oh well, RIP Mr. I.

Wait a minute. A former saloon owner who preyed on students to make money for himself has the gall to rip apart a guy who helped bring championships to Detroit and made detroiters feel good about themselves. You can't get any lower than that. My offer to create a charitable event whereby muffy gets punched In the face for $100 per punch still stands. Muffy let's make some money for the American cancer society and at the same time knock out your teeth? Lol both great causes.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-10, 20:13

LooseGoose wrote:Great collection of photos with this story. Worth browsing - how many remember the "Caesars" softball team? They were legendary when I was in HS.

How 'legendary' owner Mike Ilitch made Detroit 'Hockeytown'

Nice of muffy to rip apart the dead. I bet your dad is proud of you.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-02-10, 20:54

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4WUH9dVcAMnJ7m
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-10, 21:27

Classy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 21:51

$$ grubber.

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 34m34 minutes ago
Mike Ilitch wrote me back when I was four years old and wanted to be a hockey player

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4WZ5itVcAAQmxE
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-02-10, 21:52

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/02/jiri_fischer_appreciative_of_w.html#incart_river_index

Jiri Fischer was lying in a hospital bed, shortly after a brush with death, when he went into cardiac arrest during a game, and Mike Ilitch was there for him.
"Mr. Ilitch was the first visitor I had in my hospital room," Fischer, the former Detroit Red Wings defenseman, said Friday. "I found out later the first thing he told my fiancee (Avory) at the time was, 'Don't worry, we'll take care of Jiri. We're honoring the contract and we'll make sure he gets better.' "
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-10, 21:53

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4WNHmVUoAAlbMF
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-10, 23:15

Say whatever you want about him being a tough business man, or lining his pockets first, but understand one thing and while he gets a pass form me forever.... He fricken brought Ernie Harwell back to the tigers after that piece of shit Bo fired him. He gave a us back an icon that was no where near ready to go. He brought back Ernie. Y'all can go fuck yourselfs bitching about anything else.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-11, 02:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Please stop. This is a grave matter.

I can dig it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-11, 02:23

duffy munn wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I just can't agree, Duff. I see nothing wrong with someone who invests big chunks of his own money in a city he loves wanting a return on his investment. He saw an opportunity that resulted in positive outcomes for both. He bought low on Detroit stock and helped it move upward. Good for him and good for Detroit. Now, if you want to talk about some of his business practices, great, but that really is a separate conversation.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-11, 02:32

One other thought: I'd pay money to see the Ilitch's collection of Tigers' memorabilia/historical ephemera. I saw a small part of it at the 2005 ASG in Detroit, and I understand the whole collection is amazing. I wish the family would create a museum somewhere close to Comerica.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-11, 05:40

LooseGoose wrote:$$ grubber.

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 34m34 minutes ago
Mike Ilitch wrote me back when I was four years old and wanted to be a hockey player

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4WZ5itVcAAQmxE

Wow, that is fantastic! What a wonderful gesture from a man with a big heart. Fuck Muffy.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-11, 05:45

DWags wrote:Say whatever you want about him being a tough business man, or lining his pockets first, but understand one thing and while he gets a pass form me forever.... He fricken brought Ernie Harwell back to the tigers after that piece of shit Bo fired him.  He gave a us back an icon that was no where near ready to go.   He brought back Ernie.  Y'all can go fuck yourselves bitching about anything else.

dude, as you can see by the posts from the "normal" people on here, there is a great amount of support for what Mr. I did for Detroit.  He also made a profit.  Good for him, that's what smart businessmen do.  For a saloon owner ( one of the most vile business concepts on the market: prey on student's money and getting them drunk to line your own pockets ) to criticize anyone is pretty god damn hypocritical, but we all know Muffy is a smug, arrogant piece of shit.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-11, 06:05

Muffy is on tcock ripping Mr. I and getting hammered by those who will fight with him. Muffy you suck as a human.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-02-11, 08:25

tanfan! wrote:Muffy is on tcock ripping Mr. I and getting hammered by those who will fight with him. Muffy you suck as a human.

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? 502811600 Every one of your posts in this thread mentions me. Hell, nearly every post of yours on this board mentions me.

And in your spare time, you read a board you hate and wants nothing to do with you. Looking for me.

I can't image what it would be like if you cared about what I think.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-11, 09:04

A link to Mr. I's last long interview....

A rare in-depth interview with Mike Ilitch

Originally published on Sept. 30, 2011, this interview with Mike Ilitch was possibly his last in-depth talk with a member of the media.

Detroit Tigers owner Mike Ilitch sat down with Detroit News columnist Bob Wojnowski and talked about his health, his hometown and his continued passion for the Tigers.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-11, 10:20

Poor Vladdie, I loved that guy.

Kristen Shilton ‏@kristen_shilton 41m41 minutes ago
Maple Leafs president and alternate governor Brendan Shanahan on the passing of Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4ZD1ZbXAAAvsHy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-11, 10:25

$$ Grubber.

Deadline Detroit ‏@DeadlineDetroit  1h1 hour ago
When GM couldn't sponsor the center field fountain, @ComericaPark's owner waved off 2 offers in favor of a freebie: http://bit.ly/2l4im59

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? Sports_Illustrated_1004228_20090928-001-2048_25011

Ballpark's prime ad space

At the end of last season General Motors decided it could no longer afford to sponsor the fountain over the center field fence at Comerica Park, which shoots great plumes into the air whenever a Tiger hits a home run. The fountain is the most valuable piece of advertising space in the stadium, and two corporations quickly expressed interest in taking GM's place. One offered to pay $1.5 million for three years. Mike Ilitch, the Tigers' owner, considered the offer seriously.

Then he rejected it in favor of a deal that would pay him nothing at all. Ilitch kept the GM name where it was, free of charge, and added the Ford and Chrysler logos on each flank, over the message: The Detroit Tigers support our automakers.

To emphasize the point, the Tigers invited one employee from each of the embattled car giants to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day. Before GM inspector Loretta Abiodun went into her windup, she turned and looked at the fountain. "It was breathtaking," she says.

The deal made perfect sense to Ilitch, a pizza mogul who was born in Detroit, whose father worked as a tool and die maker for Chrysler and who still refers to Ford as Ford's, as if it were a neighborhood drugstore. He is a businessman by trade, but he is consumed with two causes that don't always lend themselves to profit. "Turning around our city," he says, "and winning the World Series."

Mike Ilitch "doesn't operate from a profit-and-loss standpoint. He treats the team more like a public trust," a major league executive said eight years ago. (Detroit Tigers photo)
Ilitch, who is 80, wants to see those goals realized in his lifetime, which helps explain how the Tigers have managed to keep payroll high, ticket prices relatively low and the community relations budget constant in a period of plummeting revenue. As one major league executive puts it, "Their owner doesn't operate from a profit-and-loss standpoint. He treats the team more like a public trust."

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2017-02-11, 10:41; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-11, 10:27

Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 2h2 hours ago
Steve Yzerman 'extremely saddened' by death of Mike Ilitch. Former Red Wings captain on Ilitch impact on his life

Steve Yzerman 'extremely saddened' by death of Mike Ilitch
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-02-11, 10:27

This butthead Illitch paid for Rosa Parks rent in Detroit after she was assaulted, robbed at her home in 94 and its unknown how long he continued to do so. What a jerk!

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2017/02/11/mike-ilitch-rosa-parks/97781552/
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-11, 10:29

Do we have a Mike Ilitch is dead thread yet? C4W0U9gWYAIxoBw
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2017-02-11, 10:48

What? His wife do a Debbie Reynolds?
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-12, 10:00

Rubin: At the original Caesars, life and pizza go on
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down