Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump speech

+10
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Blanch32
WhiteBoyHatcher
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
NigelUno
AnomanderRake
InTenSity
CheesySpartan
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Trump speech  - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump speech

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 23:21

CheesySpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:I'll get the gist of it from the news. All these things are just cheerleader type things I watched obamas first because it was historic. I didn't watch others I watched Bush after 911 I have to think most of us did. But I'm not a guy who watches many of these. I'll get the sound bites.

Watch in real time and make your own opinion. Come on DWags

My own opinion has always been no president can spend and build and cut taxes and balance the budget. My opinion is that all of them copied the Gipper bringing their own Skuptneck into the room there and point them out. Gipper did it cause the guy jumped into a frozen Potomac and saved a lady from a plane crash. These light weights now do it to further their political agenda. Who did Trump bring in and use for political capital? My opinion ion is you take everything the POTUS says and divide by ten.

I'll get the sound bites. None of these light weights are the Gipper. It's like telling me to watch mobsters and compare it to The Godfather and form my own opinion. Why waste my time?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-02-28, 23:22

LooseGoose wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

I've watched every one of these speeches since I was of voting age whether I voted for the guy or not. How can you have a political opinion without engaging in the political process? Odd.

Watch his posts here, his opinions are clear enough and they sure as hell aren't neutral.

My opinions on what? The speech? I didn't watch it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-28, 23:25

My apologies, I basically went off topic. Did not watch speech, have no opinion of it, was commenting more or less on the evidence gathered to date and my, em, bewilderment. Will not comment further.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-02-28, 23:26

CheesySpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Went to the gym and then a basketball practice. Not sure that listening to tonight's speech equals engaging in the political process, nor would not listening to it exclude someone from having an opinion.

Seems like you're being a little presumptive in assuming I would disagree with something.

Didn't watch it. Sorry.

Was something earth shattering said that will change all of our lives?

Let me know.

Hopefully you recorded it. So listening to the newly elected POTUS in his first speech to Congress isn't important? Interesting

What did I miss?

Something I can't hear later? Or haven't heard before?

If it was important for me to listen to this speech tonight, can you summarize the important things for me?

Thanks in advance.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-01, 00:02

LooseGoose wrote:Erick Erickson‏Verified account @EWErickson 49s50 seconds ago
More
If the President can stay off twitter for the next 24 hours, this speech will be agenda setting.

This is... to say the least.... the biggest exaggeration I have ever read in my entire life. Come on man. Erick. Whoever you are. Settle your britches and be real for a minute guy.

Nigel, you didn't miss much. I'm not sure there was anything new actually.

Goose is right that it was the best trump has looked, but with the way he has lowered the bar, that's like saying "timmys pee wee football team looked good tonight!" Doesn't mean Timmy is trying out for the patriots tomorrow.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-03-01, 00:04

How many stars does Timmy have?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-01, 00:07

Nordic wrote:How many stars does Timmy have?

Enough that he'll commit to MSU early in the process but when Alabama calls he'll be out the door. But once he gets there he'll never play then he'll end up getting caught with some weed or some shit so Saban will get rid of him then Timmy is going to spend the rest of his life working at a used car dealership to support the wife he hates and 5 kids he never really wanted.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 00:12

Trump speech  - Page 2 502811600 WBH doin' the Lord's work in this thread.

I've accomplished the bowl smoking part, now I'm about to read the transcript. I've loosened my socks in preparation of having them knocked off.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 00:52

Okay. Definitely the most presidential he's ever been, but that's a low bar. Doesn't strike me as very presidential to keep referring to it as "Obamacare," but that's nitpicking, I think. Some thoughts:

There were many facts/statistics quoted, but I would need to see further proof before believing all of them, given Trump's track record vis-a-vis the truth. But I'm a numbers guy and like seeing lots of numbers used, if an argument can be supported with real numbers, I find that sort of thing compelling.

He mentions how much we have spent in the middle east and the good it could have done at home, meanwhile he's proposing a military spending increase? Doesn't seem well considered to me.

When speaking of the police situation, he says "We must build bridges of cooperation and trust --- not drive the wedge of disunity and division." Yet all signs point to him being enthusiastically in support of civil forfeiture. Seems a bit incongruous to me.

On the whole, this was the speech of a normal politician with whom I strongly disagree about the solutions to many of our most pressing problems. Though it may be a sad commentary on the state of things, that constitutes progress.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-01, 03:40

Family leave couldn't get out of committee for the last 6 years. Now the GOP applauded it.

Infrastructure couldn't budge out of committee and now the GOP applaudes.

All this with a call for increased military spending. So if we couldn't afford those things before, how can we afford them now? Through more deficit spending?

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 07:43

diggin' how suddenly the new Republican Standard for Presidential Success is that their president can read from a teleprompter.

Trump speech  - Page 2 502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 07:45

Cameron wrote:Okay. Definitely the most presidential he's ever been, but that's a low bar. Doesn't strike me as very presidential to keep referring to it as "Obamacare," but that's nitpicking, I think. Some thoughts:

There were many facts/statistics quoted, but I would need to see further proof before believing all of them, given Trump's track record vis-a-vis the truth. But I'm a numbers guy and like seeing lots of numbers used, if an argument can be supported with real numbers, I find that sort of thing compelling.

He mentions how much we have spent in the middle east and the good it could have done at home, meanwhile he's proposing a military spending increase? Doesn't seem well considered to me.

When speaking of the police situation, he says "We must build bridges of cooperation and trust --- not drive the wedge of disunity and division." Yet all signs point to him being enthusiastically in support of civil forfeiture. Seems a bit incongruous to me.

On the whole, this was the speech of a normal politician with whom I strongly disagree about the solutions to many of our most pressing problems. Though it may be a sad commentary on the state of things, that constitutes progress.
two questions:

a) did he mention his historic, landslide victory?

and..

b) did he sexually assault someone on live TV?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-01, 07:56

CheesySpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Went to the gym and then a basketball practice. Not sure that listening to tonight's speech equals engaging in the political process, nor would not listening to it exclude someone from having an opinion.

Seems like you're being a little presumptive in assuming I would disagree with something.

Didn't watch it. Sorry.

Was something earth shattering said that will change all of our lives?

Let me know.

Hopefully you recorded it. So listening to the newly elected POTUS in his first speech to Congress isn't important? Interesting

Did you chastise Goose yesterday when he said he was going to watch a Food show and not the speech?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-01, 07:58

GRR Spartan wrote:Family leave couldn't get out of committee for the last 6 years. Now the GOP applauded it.

Infrastructure couldn't budge out of committee and now the GOP applaudes.

All this with a call for increased military spending. So if we couldn't afford those things before, how can we afford them now? Through more deficit spending?

Maybe Mexico is going to pay for everything.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 07:58

NigelUno wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Did you chastise Goose yesterday when he said he was going to watch a Food show and not the speech?

you didn't watch the racist, bigoted, xenophobic, misogynistic sexual predator give a speech to a bunch of cheering, onlooking christians?

You're a horrible person.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-01, 08:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:diggin' how suddenly the new Republican Standard for Presidential Success is that their president can read from a teleprompter.

LOL, with the TPM take.

8 years ago the teleprompter jokes were unfair. The worm always turns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-01, 08:59

LooseGoose wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:Well written speech but so many lofty promises that will never get fulfilled. Oh well, such is politics.

Interesting that Trump mentioned an infrastructure bill, Obama tried to pass such a bill repeatedly but the GOP blocked it from ever happening. I wonder if they'll pass an infrastructure bill now that a Republican President is in office? I mean everybody knows we need it but the GOP didn't want to give Obama credit for it. Makes sense that they would pass something similar now and reap the political rewards.

What????? The Stimulus was SUPPOSED to be for shovel ready infrastructure. $831 BILLION that didnt get spent as represented. And BTW the Dems controlled Congress when it was written and passed.

I was referring to the Obama jobs bills (American Jobs Act I think?), not the stimulus package approved during the beginning of his first term.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-01, 09:04

Cameron wrote:Okay. Definitely the most presidential he's ever been, but that's a low bar. Doesn't strike me as very presidential to keep referring to it as "Obamacare," but that's nitpicking, I think. Some thoughts:

The Obamacare thing is a reaction to polling. Obamacare polls badly. The Affordable Care Act polls well. A symptom of our barely engaged electorate.

The C/F thing is concerning as is Session's statements over the last few days on weed. Hopefully someone reins him in quickly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 09:06

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:diggin' how suddenly the new Republican Standard for Presidential Success is that their president can read from a teleprompter.

LOL, with the TPM take.

8 years ago the teleprompter jokes were unfair.    The worm always turns.
not sure what "TPM" means..

just thought it was funny that the high point of the sexual predator's presidency so far is his ability to read.

oh - and I never thought the Obama teleprompter jokes were unfair.. I knew it surprised a lot of republicans that a colored boy could read.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 09:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

two questions:

and..

a) Not in so many words, but he did mention some stuff about 2016 seeing the start of a movement and some such.

b) No, I don't believe so.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 09:13

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:two questions:

and..

a) Not in so many words, but he did mention some stuff about 2016 seeing the start of a movement and some such.

b) No, I don't believe so.
the sexual predator's landslide victory is very impressive. People are saying that.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-01, 09:19

I'm curious to see over time what the plan is with the obvious misleading/lie about 94 million Americans out of work. (We can all agree on that yeah? God I hope so. We're all educated. Come on. 350 million Americans. 94 million not working. That obviously includes retirees or students or homemakers. We good there? Good.)

So anyway, what's the plan there? 4 years from now is it going to be "only 93.5 million Americans are out of work now!" Or will they go with "we're down to 4 million!" And suddenly eliminate the people that shouldn't be counted in the first place?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 09:24

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm curious to see over time what the plan is with the obvious misleading/lie about 94 million Americans out of work. (We can all agree on that yeah? God I hope so. We're all educated. Come on. 350 million Americans. 94 million not working. That obviously includes retirees or students or homemakers. We good there? Good.)

So anyway, what's the plan there? 4 years from now is it going to be "only 93.5 million Americans are out of work now!" Or will they go with "we're down to 4 million!" And suddenly eliminate the people that shouldn't be counted in the first place?
so the sexual predator promoted fake news during his speech that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - loved?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-03-01, 09:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm curious to see over time what the plan is with the obvious misleading/lie about 94 million Americans out of work. (We can all agree on that yeah? God I hope so. We're all educated. Come on. 350 million Americans. 94 million not working. That obviously includes retirees or students or homemakers. We good there? Good.)

so the sexual predator promoted fake news during his speech that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - loved?

I mean, technically it's not fake news and it is true that 94 million Americans aren't working. But my 96 year old grandmother is one of them. I don't call her as much as I should, but I'm pretty confident she doesn't spend her time on linked in looking for a job these days. I'm just curious to see what the plan with that will be going forward. If I had to bet, I'd probably guess they just stop talking about it altogether and talk percentages.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-01, 09:48

^
He also misrepresented the recent government immigration report, stating that immigrants are a drain on the economy. First generation immigrants tend to be a slight drain at the state/local level while 2nd generation are a net positive for the economy and stimulate future growth, particularly in entrepreneurship.

He also lied about immigrants committing most terrorist attacks on US soil since a recent government report also said that slightly over half of the domestic terror incidents were committed by US citizens that were born here.

Oh and he lied about him reducing the cost of the F-35 which was already done before he got into office, again taking credit for the Pentagon's work he had no involvement in.

And lastly he lied about proposing massive tax relief to the middle class, unless he and the GOP's tax plans have drastically altered since the election. All of their previous plans suggested modest tax cuts to the middle class to the tune of ~$1000-1500 per year, compared to about $215,000 per year for the top 1%. Sorry GOP but you can't cut taxes for the middle class without raising them on the wealthy, unless you want to drastically increase our annual federal budget deficit and explode the national debt.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-01, 09:54

IT still shocks me to learn that politicians lie.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 09:57

LooseGoose wrote:IT still shocks me to learn that politicians lie.
I think the sexual predator made huge progress last night when he proved to us that he can read..

#MAGA

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 10:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I think the sexual predator made huge progress last night when he proved to us that he can read..

#MAGA

I've known he can read all along, Bob. I saw him waving a printed off Breitbart article around on Fox News once (for the record, it was a youtube clip, I wasn't actually watching cable news). Though the article did have a picture, so maybe he was just going off of that...

I find it comical that Trump essentially surfs the web through intermediaries who he has find and print articles for him. If it is ever revealed that he has taken the effort to hire a man named Jeeves to present him with these printed web stories, I will completely change my tune on President Trump. If he literally asks Jeeves, the lulz may become too strong to resist.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 10:29

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think the sexual predator made huge progress last night when he proved to us that he can read..

#MAGA

I've known he can read all along, Bob. I saw him waving a printed off Breitbart article around on Fox News once (for the record, it was a youtube clip, I wasn't actually watching cable news). Though the article did have a picture, so maybe he was just going off of that...

I find it comical that Trump essentially surfs the web through intermediaries who he has find and print articles for him. If it is ever revealed that he has taken the effort to hire a man named Jeeves to present him with these printed web stories, I will completely change my tune on President Trump. If he literally asks Jeeves, the lulz may become too strong to resist.
but who cares about his racism, bigotry, xenophobia, sexual assault admission.. his ties to white supremacists and his collusion with a murderous dictator to influence US elections..? his name-calling.. him mocking disabled people.. ?

HE CAN READ!!!! Trump speech  - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-01, 10:35

Are we talking like a Kirk Cousins type speech?

Was it that good?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 10:36

NigelUno wrote:Are we talking like a Kirk Cousins type speech?

Was it that good?
it's right in between Kirk Cousins and the George Washington Farewell Address..

it was THAT good.

people are saying it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 10:38

NigelUno wrote:Are we talking like a Kirk Cousins type speech?

Was it that good?

Trump speech  - Page 2 How%20Dare%20You%20Sir%202
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-01, 11:18

Considering many of his supporters voted for him because he "isn't a politician" and "tells it how it is", I think it's important to point out.

Then again I think it's important to continue to point out when they lie and why they lie, regardless of the fact that it's no longer surprising to those of us that are paying attention. The masses hear those lies about immigrants and it reinforces their xenophobia and racism. Spreading lies that reinforce xenophobia and racism is not something our President should be doing.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-01, 11:20

I don't think guys like Trump are lying up there. I think they really want to increase defense spending, to build a wall to spend a trillion on infastructure, to cut taxes and to balance the budget. Those aren't lies. They're goals. How you get from here to there is the interesting part.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-01, 11:25

DWags wrote:I don't think guys like Trump are lying up there. I think they really want to increase defense spending, to build a wall to spend a trillion on infastructure, to cut taxes and to balance the budget. Those aren't lies. They're goals. How you get from here to there is the interesting part.

I didn't say everything he said last night was a lie. I just pointed out a few of his statements that were in fact misleading or outright lies.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-01, 11:47

AnomanderRake wrote:
DWags wrote:I don't think guys like Trump are lying up there. I think they really want to increase defense spending, to build a wall to spend a trillion on infastructure, to cut taxes and to balance the budget. Those aren't lies. They're goals. How you get from here to there is the interesting part.

I didn't say everything he said last night was a lie. I just pointed out a few of his statements that were in fact misleading or outright lies.

Lots of pie in the sky. Two high school friends from up north. Never left the town. Lilly white, few problems. Went to the local community college, one girl married and lives a life of a lower middle class god fearing christian, one went to community college started working as a teller in a bank and is now a loan officer or some such thing 35 years later. Worked there his whole life. Does good work, never married, goes somewhere each year with his church and helps build houses and such. Two pretty nice people.

I don't get why they fear the Mexicans or the Syrians coming in, but on facebook they're all over that stuff. The wall and the travel ban has zero effet on that town or their life, but man they're fearful of the terrorists and Mexicans taking all of the health care benefits and free school from the good peole of our home town.

So, today they're having a back and forth about how "I can't believe anybody who saw Him (capitalized on purpose) speak doesn't believe everything He says." He is a christian man of God and great business man" Then the guy returns her volley with " I can't wait till 'the other side' sees how wrong they are and how right he is"

So, anyway, It's not worth my time answering them. They're True Believers. Christians who dont' mind a thrice divorced pussy grabber cause "he's changed". Whatever.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 11:50

DWags wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

Lots of pie in the sky. Two high school friends from up north. Never left the town. Lilly white, few problems. Went to the local community college, one girl married and lives a life of a lower middle class god fearing christian, one went to community college started working as a teller in a bank and is now a loan officer or some such thing 35 years later. Worked there his whole life. Does good work, never married, goes somewhere each year with his church and helps build houses and such. Two pretty nice people.

I don't get why they fear the Mexicans or the Syrians coming in, but on facebook they're all over that stuff. The wall and the travel ban has zero effet on that town or their life, but man they're fearful of the terrorists and Mexicans taking all of the health care benefits and free school from the good peole of our home town.

So, today they're having a back and forth about how "I can't believe anybody who saw Him (capitalized on purpose) speak doesn't believe everything He says." He is a christian man of God and great business man" Then the guy returns her volley with " I can't wait till 'the other side' sees how wrong they are and how right he is"

So, anyway, It's not worth my time answering them. They're True Believers. Christians who dont' mind a thrice divorced pussy grabber cause "he's changed". Whatever.
it probably helps that the sexual predator is also white.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-01, 12:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

it probably helps that the sexual predator is also white.

Hey Bob? General political question for you - name me a black Democrat elected to the US House from a majority white district?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 13:02

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:it probably helps that the sexual predator is also white.

Hey Bob? General political question for you - name me a black Democrat elected to the US House from a majority white district?
I don't know man.. I don't really keep up with that stuff.

(sorry if this offends you).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-03-01, 13:10

Did we witness the death of the Democratic party last night?

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next