Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I saw Brandon Johns play last night

+6
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I saw Brandon Johns play last night Empty I saw Brandon Johns play last night

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:04 am

My first high school game in over a decade. The kid is really, really good.

He had a tip jam in the first quarter that was Miles Bridges-like. Sick.

He is only a junior and is bound to get even better. Recruiting geeks can help me out here but I hope Izzo lands this guy.

Oh, and for Bob: EL beat Waverly and is undefeated going into the tourney.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I saw Brandon Johns play last night Empty Re: I saw Brandon Johns play last night

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 am

what did you think of that one-handed put-back tomahawk dunk?  Shocked   I saw Brandon Johns play last night 3493939353

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I saw Brandon Johns play last night Empty Re: I saw Brandon Johns play last night

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am

duffy munn wrote:My first high school game in over a decade. The kid is really, really good.

He is only a junior and is bound to get even better. Recruiting geeks can help me out here but I hope Izzo lands this guy.

oh - and, yeah, I was there. I saw Brandon Johns play last night 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:15 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what did you think of that one-handed put-back tomahawk dunk?  Shocked   I saw Brandon Johns play last night 3493939353
It was SICK.

Even the Waverly student section cheered/ gasped.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:what did you think of that one-handed put-back tomahawk dunk?  Shocked   I saw Brandon Johns play last night 3493939353
It was SICK.

yeah it's not unusual to see a nice breakaway dunk here and there in the high school game, but him coming in off a long miss, timing it perfectly.. catching it one-handed behind his head and slamming it home.. don't see that too often in high school.

as good as he is, he still has some improving to do.. he has a nice touch from outside and I think he'll be a 2 or 3 guard in college. He slices pretty well through the defense and has solid ball-handling skills.

Waverly was pretty pesky.. maybe the scrappiest team EL faced this year.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:27 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:My first high school game in over a decade. The kid is really, really good.

oh - and, yeah, I was there. I saw Brandon Johns play last night 969504605

Did you see me chatting up Tom Hunt and Andy Wells?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:
It was SICK.

yeah it's not unusual to see a nice breakaway dunk here and there in the high school game, but him coming in off a long miss, timing it perfectly.. catching it one-handed behind his head and slamming it home.. don't see that too often in high school.

as good as he is, he still has some improving to do.. he has a nice touch from outside and I think he'll be a 2 or 3 guard in college. He slices pretty well through the defense and has solid ball-handling skills.

Waverly was pretty pesky.. maybe the scrappiest team EL faced this year.

Quality write-up. Mods, please tell Solari the staff writer position is already filled.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:36 am

I just don't think he has what it takes to make it at the next level.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 am

kingstonlake wrote:I just don't think he has what it takes to make it at the next level.

I've heard the same thing but I was impressed last night.

Very athletic.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 am

Did you guys hit up DeLuca's too?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:oh - and, yeah, I was there. I saw Brandon Johns play last night 969504605

Did you see me chatting up Tom Hunt and Andy Wells?
I saw Brandon Johns play last night 502811600

no, but I spoke to them both, as well - good guys.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 am

Did Waverly play zone?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:43 am

NigelUno wrote:Did Waverly play zone?

more of a match-up zone at times, mostly man-to-man..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:12 am

Johns is good. Seems like he could take over a game. I didn't see that (in the one game I saw).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:40 pm

NigelUno wrote:Johns is good.  Seems like he could take over a game.  I didn't see that (in the one game I saw).  
the game you (and I) were at was easily his most quiet game of the season. He didn't stand out a ton last night (I'd argue that DeAndre Robinson for EL had a better overall game) - he just had a few really nice plays (the one aforementioned Miles Bridges-esque put back dunk and a few alley-oop dunks). I'd say his best game of the year was either at home against Holt where he put up 26 in the 2nd half (16 minutes of play.. though he missed a lot of the 3rd quarter) and at Jackson.

he does have room for improvement but, as Duffy saw last night, he certainly has a lot of ability.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Johns is good.  Seems like he could take over a game.  I didn't see that (in the one game I saw).  
the game you (and I) were at was easily his most quiet game of the season. He didn't stand out a ton last night (I'd argue that DeAndre Robinson for EL had a better overall game) - he just had a few really nice plays (the one aforementioned Miles Bridges-esque put back dunk and a few alley-oop dunks). I'd say his best game of the year was either at home against Holt where he put up 26 in the 2nd half (16 minutes of play.. though he missed a lot of the 3rd quarter) and at Jackson.

he does have room for improvement but, as Duffy saw last night, he certainly has a lot of ability.

From the one game I saw, I can see the kid needs work in some areas. Handles, jumper and maybe a tendency to disappear at times.

But he is an explosive athlete that plays way above the rim. You can't teach that.

He has one more year of summer ball and to work with Finamore at EL. ( one of the best high school coaches in the state.)

I think he gets more offers from big time programs.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

From the one game I saw, I can see the kid needs work in some areas. Handles, jumper and maybe a tendency to disappear at times.

But he is an explosive athlete that plays way above the rim. You can't teach that.

He has one more year of summer ball and to work with Finamore at EL. ( one of the best high school coaches in the state.)

I think he gets more offers from big time programs.

that will be interesting to watch.. I agree that summer ball, camps, etc will really enhance his exposure. And Steve is great at networking with coaches around the country. Right now, the biggest programs he has offers from are MSU, UM and Purdue - one could certainly do a lot worse. It'll be interesting to see if some of the more "blue blood" programs start showing up.

(and, yes.. {sigh}.. for those easily offended, MSU is a "blue blood" program, I just don't quite put us in there with Duke, Kentucky, Carolina, et al. just yet).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 pm

EL's Brandon Johns' dunk in slow mo...

https://twitter.com/Phil_Byrne/status/837497850149941248

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:44 pm

NigelUno wrote:EL's Brandon Johns' dunk in slow mo...

https://twitter.com/Phil_Byrne/status/837497850149941248

Told ya it was sick.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 pm

I think Beeline might have finally found his next Pittsnogle
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Herbs, Pittsnoggle was 6'11. Also from what I'm hearing it's pretty much a sealed deal that Johns is going to stay in EL for his college edumacation.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Herbs, Pittsnoggle was 6'11. Also from what I'm hearing it's pretty much a sealed deal that Johns is going to stay in EL for his college edumacation.

Unless something dramatically changed in the last couple of days your sources are full of shit. I don't know if his own parents could tell you where he is going.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Herbie Green wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Herbs, Pittsnoggle was 6'11. Also from what I'm hearing it's pretty much a sealed deal that Johns is going to stay in EL for his college edumacation.

Unless something dramatically changed in the last couple of days your sources are full of shit. I don't know if his own parents could tell you where he is going.

So your Pittsnogle comment was full of shit too?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:11 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

So your Pittsnogle comment was full of shit too?

Possibly. I just remember Pittsnogle as a big that liked to shoot 3s but that isn't hardly an insult if your inferiority complex is acting up.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 am

Herbie, what do you know? Why hold back info if you have it?

I'll admit I'm going by message board postings but someone who is fairly well connected and has a decent reputation posted in the past 4-5 days that it was basically a matter of time until he joined the '18 class.

Would be a really interesting class IMO. Smart, skilled, players but not a superstar class by any means when contrasted with this year's class.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:28 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Herbie, what do you know? Why hold back info if you have it?

I'll admit I'm going by message board postings but someone who is fairly well connected and has a decent reputation posted in the past 4-5 days that it was basically a matter of time until he joined the '18 class.

Would be a really interesting class IMO. Smart, skilled, players but not a superstar class by any means when contrasted with this year's class.

Is it JWeibs?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

Nope. But at least that kid will lay his ass on the line and tell you what he's hearing.

(l.l)
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 am

This isn't that big of a town.  But even Magic and Denzel loved them some blue too so we'll see

Stay tuned......
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 am

Going to high school hoops game on a Friday night, return home to patrol multiple message boards and fight with strangers. Your life is complete. I saw Brandon Johns play last night 502811600 :poop:
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:00 am

tanfan! wrote:

Going to high school hoops game on a Friday night, return home to patrol multiple message boards and fight with strangers. Your life is complete. I saw Brandon Johns play last night 502811600 :poop:

The game was on Thursday and that dunk was sick.

Where are you not watching the MSU game today?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:06 am

tanfan! wrote:

I went to a high school game Thursday night. It was pretty good.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 am

DWags wrote:
tanfan! wrote:

I went to a high school game last week, and I went to one this Wednesday (but it was sold out when I got there...that sucked).

I did not wake up at 4:00 am to patrol any message boards though. My life is still incomplete.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:00 pm

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

I went to a high school game last week, and I went to one this Wednesday (but it was sold out when I got there...that sucked).

I did not wake up at 4:00 am to patrol any message boards though. My life is still incomplete.

Who fucking goes to high school games that their kid isn't playing in? Lifeless losers. Bwaaaa haaaaaa
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Went to golf range.  Then hit the club to workout.  Got in golf cart and drove around neighborhood with a cigar enjoying this beautiful day.  Watched the last five minutes of the half.  Resting for now. Then going back out to the range with a buddy. Tomorrow golf.  tonight going out with two couples from the hood for dinner.  After dinner party at my house.  No high school basketball in the plans.  Won't be patrolling message boards tonight for fights like nigel and muffy. Go green.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am

Brandon named Class A player of the year.. (yes, over seniors Xavier Tillman and Isaiah Livers)..

Joining Johns on the Class A first team is North Farmington's Amauri Hardy, Clarkston's Foster Loyer, Grand Rapids Christian's Xavier Tillman, Kalamazoo Central's Isaiah Livers, Saginaw's Henry Speight, Greg Elliott and David DeJulius of Detroit East English, Holland's Demetrius Lake and Wayne Memorial's Rashad Williams.

East Lansing's Brandon Johns Named Class A Player of the Year
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Brandon named Class A player of the year.. (yes, over seniors Xavier Tillman and Isaiah Livers)..

Joining Johns on the Class A first team is North Farmington's Amauri Hardy, Clarkston's Foster Loyer, Grand Rapids Christian's Xavier Tillman, Kalamazoo Central's Isaiah Livers, Saginaw's Henry Speight, Greg Elliott and David DeJulius of Detroit East English, Holland's Demetrius Lake and Wayne Memorial's Rashad Williams.

I hope Johns doesn't go to U of M.

Cause if he does you will have to hate him.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Brandon named Class A player of the year.. (yes, over seniors Xavier Tillman and Isaiah Livers)..

I hope Johns doesn't go to U of M.

Cause if he does you will have to hate him.

nah, just want him (and all kids) to be happy and follow their heart.

hard to get a read on him. I think there's an assumption that he's a lock for MSU because he goes to EL, but I don't really get that feeling. Like I've said before, I know Steve Finamore pretty well, but I'd never bring up such a conversation with him..

it'll be fun to watch, that's for sure.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:32 pm

Brandon playing for VCU as a grad transfer. Has had a good season.

VCU vs Dayton on CBS right now. Looks like it could be a good game.

Just banged his knee pretty good. Looks okay bit they subbed him out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:36 pm

UM could have used him this year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Brandon playing for VCU as a grad transfer. Has had a good season.

VCU vs Dayton on CBS right now. Looks like it could be a good game.

Just banged his knee pretty good. Looks okay bit they subbed him out.

He's dancing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next