Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-09, 20:31

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL Christie Brinkley is originally from Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Brinkley

OMG she is 44 days older than I am.

Have considered her the first of the "super models" and with my weakness for pretty faced blonds she was a favorite, behind Monroe of course.

Would’ve been odd if Monroe was from Monroe. Alas, no go.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by I.B. Fine 2023-03-09, 20:38

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL Christie Brinkley is originally from Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Brinkley

Have considered her the first of the "super models" and with my weakness for pretty faced blonds she was a favorite, behind Monroe of course.
I thought you were more of a Betty Grable fan
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-09, 21:37

I.B. Fine wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Do you still have posters of Irene Ryan on the walls of your workshop?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2023-03-10, 08:44

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Nah, my collection of pin ups can't hold a candle to yours...tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 MWRjOTU1OS5qcGc
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-10, 08:58

I.B. Fine wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

In that age group it would be Ingrid Bergman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrid_Bergman
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

I.B. Fine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-10, 09:31

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Had to google. Granny was hot back in the day.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-10, 09:37

I.B. Fine wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I can't believe he has betrayed Eleanor Roosevelt like this.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-10, 10:04

Turtleneck wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I can't believe he has betrayed Eleanor Roosevelt like this.

Eleanor played for the other team Turtle. She was FDR’s beard.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-16, 09:06

TIL that KC-135 Stratotankers fly from a base in the South to refuel planes off the East coast.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 Kc-135-stratotanker_009

And TIL that the P-8A Poseidon is a leader in long-range anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), flies off the East Coast, and can be refueled in air.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 P-8A%20Poseidon
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-16, 10:06

Yeah, aren't the stealth bombers based in like Kansas or something? If they need to do work in the middle east, they can get the job done and be home for the first inning of their kids ball game. Crazy to think of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_B-2_Spirit
the B-2 flew one of its longest missions to date from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to Afghanistan and back.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-03-16, 10:24

From Austin Meek of The Athletic I learned the some folks  (anonymous ummies) think MSU vs umaa football needs to stop being an annual game, needing a "cooling off period" because its become too intense.  

The ummies solution?  Replace MSU with Minnesota because it's a "friendly rivalry" college football needs.

PS
Dollars to donuts this bullshit came from Jim Harbaugh who's an instigator in recent years.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2023-03-16, 13:02; edited 2 times in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-16, 10:25

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Yeah, aren't the stealth bombers based in like Kansas or something? If they need to do work in the middle east, they can get the job done and be home for the first inning of their kids ball game. Crazy to think of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_B-2_Spirit
the B-2 flew one of its longest missions to date from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to Afghanistan and back.

AFAIK, they’re still stationed at Missouri, though there may be some at Aviano AB.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-16, 10:50

Of course, everyone knows the b2 stealth or whatever this generation is called isn’t the most effective killing machine housed at Aviano. That title belongs to the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-05-17, 16:00

Today, I learned Montgomery Ward (OTPT, ask your parents), the person who started the company, hailed from Niles, Michigan.

https://99wfmk.com/montgomery-ward/?mibextid=ncKXMA
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-05-17, 16:14

tGreenWay wrote:Today, I learned Montgomery Ward (OTPT, ask your parents), the person who started the company, hailed from Niles, Michigan.

https://99wfmk.com/montgomery-ward/?mibextid=ncKXMA

Current Events Day at the nursing home?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-05-17, 16:15

Wonder how he earned the nickname "Monkey"?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-05-17, 16:19

The Pantry wrote:Wonder how he earned the nickname "Monkey"?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 502811600 I was going to ask the same question.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-07-16, 21:25

TIL it was 83 years ago yesterday in Manistee that the world’s tallest man died. Twenty-two year old Robert Wadlow was over 8’11” tall. Wadlow had made an appearance at the Manistee National Forest Festival. One of his leg braces was improperly made, causing an irritation on his ankle that developed into an infection, ultimately leading to his death. Police have consistently refused to comment on what role, if any, Dwags played in Mr. Wadlow’s untimely demise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-07-17, 11:40

tGreenWay wrote:TIL it was 83 years ago yesterday in Manistee that the world’s tallest man died. Twenty-two year old Robert Wadlow was over 8’11” tall. Wadlow had made an appearance at the Manistee National Forest Festival. One of his leg braces was improperly made, causing an irritation on his ankle that developed into an infection, ultimately leading to his death. Police have consistently refused to comment on what role, if any, Dwags played in Mr. Wadlow’s untimely demise.

Fucking DWags
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-09, 16:12

Lake Huron is the second-largest Great Lake, with a surface area of 23,000 miles. It is located between Lake Michigan to the southwest and Lake Superior to the northwest, and Lake Erie lies to the south. To put that into perspective, it is just a little smaller than West Virginia. It is also the fifth-largest lake in the world. Lake Huron features the longest shorelines of the Great Lakes, at 3,827 miles. It is also home to 30,000 islands. So, with all these great features, why aren’t there any major cities like Toronto on Lake Ontario or Chicago on Lake Michigan along its shorelines?

Why Are There No Major Cities on Lake Huron?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-10-09, 17:44

T
Not saying Alpena Sarnia or Port Huron are exciting huge metropolitan cities is crazy talk.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, MiamiSpartan, The Pantry, tGreenWay, Jake from State Farm and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-09, 18:09

DWags wrote:T
Not saying Alpena Sarnia or Port Huron are exciting huge metropolitan cities is crazy talk.  
Weird.  Never really thought about no cities on Lake Huron before.  Sarnia/Port Huron and Bay City are not technically on the lake.  Marquette has a bigger population on the shores of Superior than any town on Huron.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-09, 19:12

Growing up in Bay City I always wondered why our shore was shit compared to west michigan... still don't understand. I suppose Chicago money? Every little town on the west coast has a cute little downtown with bars and restaurants , never too far from a good sized shopping city. From Bay City to the big bridges you got shit... I bet you could still get a nice place on the shore for less then 500k too... Try that on lake Michigan.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-10-09, 19:14

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Growing up in Bay City I always wondered why our shore was shit compared to west michigan... still don't understand.  I suppose Chicago money? Every little town on the west coast has a cute little downtown with bars and restaurants , never too far from a good sized shopping city. From Bay City to the big bridges you got shit... I bet you could still get a nice place on the shore for less then 500k too... Try that on lake Michigan.

It might have something to do with most people preferring sunsets over the water to sunrises.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-09, 19:18

Floyd Robertson wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Growing up in Bay City I always wondered why our shore was shit compared to west michigan... still don't understand.  I suppose Chicago money? Every little town on the west coast has a cute little downtown with bars and restaurants , never too far from a good sized shopping city. From Bay City to the big bridges you got shit... I bet you could still get a nice place on the shore for less then 500k too... Try that on lake Michigan.

It might have something to do with most people preferring sunsets over the water to sunrises.
Is the Wisconsin shore crappy on lake mi? Or the Ontario shore built up? (I seriously don't know either spots) Assuming Wisconsin has Chicago traffic up most of it too. Most North I've been that way was probably Evanston.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-10-09, 19:25

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Is the Wisconsin shore crappy on lake mi? Or the Ontario shore built up? (I seriously don't know either spots) Assuming Wisconsin has Chicago traffic up most of it too. Most North I've been that way was probably Evanston.

I have no idea about those shorelines, either. I've heard from some Wisconsinites that Door county (their pinky finger) is nice, but that's like saying the Leelanau peninsula is nice.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-10-09, 19:27

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Growing up in Bay City .

Please read this in a British accent: were you a roller mate?

Ess
Ay
Tee
You
Are
Dee
Ay
Why

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 20:13

Nobody wants to share the same bath water with Kingston. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 1494614055 tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 12 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 21:39

TIL that Nordy, when not posting on tSwill or working at his main job, doubles as the mascot for the Minnesota Wild.

https://mascots.fandom.com/wiki/Nordy
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-09, 21:42

DWags wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Growing up in Bay City .

Please read this in a British accent: were you a roller mate?

Ess
Ay
Tee
You
Are
Dee
Ay
Why

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_City_Rollers

Desiring a better name for the band, they settled on "Rollers", but needed a more powerful American-sounding term in front of that. Derek Longmuir threw a dart at a map of the United States, landing first on Arkansas. This did not meet anyone's approval, so a second dart was thrown. It landed near Bay City, Michigan. The band agreed on the name, the Bay City Rollers.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-10-09, 21:49

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

It’s all about the shipping and the quickest way to get shit to the Atlantic Ocean. If you’re north, west, or south, it’s fine to get to Superior, Michigan, or Erie. If you’re eat, you go to Erie or Ontario. There is no strategic logistical advantage to a larger settlement on Lake Huron.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-10-09, 21:52

tGreenWay wrote:TIL it was 83 years ago yesterday in Manistee that the world’s tallest man died. Twenty-two year old Robert Wadlow was over 8’11” tall. Wadlow had made an appearance at the Manistee National Forest Festival. One of his leg braces was improperly made, causing an irritation on his ankle that developed into an infection, ultimately leading to his death. Police have consistently refused to comment on what role, if any, Dwags played in Mr. Wadlow’s untimely demise.

Izzo lost him to Duke.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-10-09, 22:29

tGreenWay wrote:TIL that Nordy, when not posting on tSwill or working at his main job, doubles as the mascot for the Minnesota Wild.

Mascots are not allowed to reveal their identity. Mascot code, so I’ve been told.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 22:57

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL that Nordy, when not posting on tSwill or working at his main job, doubles as the mascot for the Minnesota Wild.

Mascots are not allowed to reveal their identity. Mascot code, so I’ve been told.

Your secret is safe with us, Wild man.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 22:58

Turtleneck wrote:

Izzo lost him to Duke.

A story as old as time itself.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 23:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:

That’s exactly why I prefer the west side. I’ve never been a morning person. Gimme a sunset every time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-09, 23:07

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Growing up in Bay City I always wondered why our shore was shit compared to west michigan... still don't understand. I suppose Chicago money? Every little town on the west coast has a cute little downtown with bars and restaurants , never too far from a good sized shopping city. From Bay City to the big bridges you got shit... I bet you could still get a nice place on the shore for less then 500k too... Try that on lake Michigan.

These days I’d prefer that remote feel to the cute and packed towns, but Mrs GW wants a cute town and I’m all about the sunsets.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-10-10, 07:03

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:T
Weird.  Never really thought about no cities on Lake Huron before.  Sarnia/Port Huron and Bay City are not technically on the lake.  Marquette has a bigger population on the shores of Superior than any town on Huron.
Technically, Port Huron and Sarnia ARE on the lake, as the city limits of each extend to the shores of the lake. The downtown areas aren't, but technically parts of the city are.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-10, 09:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Technically, Port Huron and Sarnia ARE on the lake, as the city limits of each extend to the shores of the lake. The downtown areas aren't, but technically parts of the city are.
I think Bay City is too... plus it's bigger then Maquette.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-10-10, 09:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Technically, Port Huron and Sarnia ARE on the lake, as the city limits of each extend to the shores of the lake.  The downtown areas aren't, but technically parts of the city are.
I think Bay City is too... plus it's bigger then Maquette.

Pretty sure that the Bay City city limits are inland from the bay. Hampton Township on the east and Bangor township on the west are between Bay City & the lake or bay.

Also think, that because the Bay City metropolitan area would include all the port facilities that the question of city limits is stupid.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next