Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 11 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Turtleneck 2021-06-20, 23:10

P.J. Brown is married to somebody named Dee Brown. But it turned out not to be that Dee Brown.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 11 Dee_brown_dunk400550

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 11 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by tGreenWay 2021-06-21, 10:22

Turtleneck wrote:P.J. Brown is married to somebody named Dee Brown. But it turned out not to be that Dee Brown.

You didn’t say Today I learned or TIL. Please edit your post.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-06-21, 11:11

Turtleneck wrote:P.J. Brown is married to somebody named Dee Brown. But it turned out not to be that Dee Brown.

Did she keep her name? Brown-Brown?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-06-21, 11:51

DWags wrote:

Did she keep her name? Brown-Brown?

If Olivia Newton John had married John Travolta, her name would be Olivia Newton John Travolta.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-07-01, 11:53

Klinger is clinging on.

[tw]1410627106275475456[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-04, 11:56

South Carolina produces twice as many peaches as Georgia. California 4 times as many as SC and GA. combined.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-10, 04:32

"Napoleon Complex" is a theorized inferiority complex normally attributed to people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, such as lying about earnings, and carries the implication that such behavior is compensatory for the subject's physical or social shortcomings.

This is really interesting
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-07-10, 04:38

DWags wrote:"Napoleon Complex" is a theorized inferiority complex normally attributed to people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, such as lying about earnings, and carries the implication that such behavior is compensatory for the subject's physical or social shortcomings.

Really? You're just now learning about this? Do you know any short people?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-10, 04:43

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:"Napoleon Complex" is a theorized inferiority complex normally attributed to people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, such as lying about earnings, and carries the implication that such behavior is compensatory for the subject's physical or social shortcomings.

Tom Izzo. Besides him, I felt it was appropriate
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-07-10, 04:45

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Tom Izzo.

He's not short. Well, relative to most of the people around him he is. But still. I know a few men in the 5'6" range & yes, that Napoleon thing is real.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-07-10, 09:53

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

Tom Izzo.

He's not short. Well, relative to most of the people around him he is. But still. I know a few men in the 5'6" range & yes, that Napoleon thing is real.
Most objective research shows that it is probably not true. Not any more true that guys who drive large trucks have small penises (no, I do not drive a truck).

I am not doubting that you know some people who seem to exhibit this but would argue that is likely just confirmation bias.

MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-07-10, 11:17

I prefer Napoleon Dynamite complex. Characterized by catching delicious bass and complementing girls on their sleeves.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-07-10, 11:23

MSU addict wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Most objective research shows that it is probably not true. Not any more true that guys who drive large trucks have small penises (no, I do not drive a truck).

I am not doubting that you know some people who seem to exhibit this but would argue that is likely just confirmation bias.

You sound short.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-10, 11:28

Hey, I just thought it was appropriate to put it out there this morning.   I’m not without sin.

But I just love this board. Even when we’re being dicks to each other. I don’t know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-07-10, 11:57

MSU addict wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I am also given to understand that Napoleon was actually of average height for his time, though I don't remember when/where I learned that, so it might be bullshit.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-07-10, 12:19

Is there a complex for short women?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-10, 12:54

Cameron wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Most objective research shows that it is probably not true. Not any more true that guys who drive large trucks have small penises (no, I do not drive a truck).

I am also given to understand that Napoleon was actually of average height for his time, though I don't remember when/where I learned that, so it might be bullshit.

I saw a bewitched episode as well as Bill and Teds excellent adventure where they did magic and brought him to modern times. In both he was like 5’2”.

So I think that trumps any research you’ve done on him. Don’t they have his penis somewhere?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-10, 18:01

DWags wrote:Hey, I just thought it was appropriate to put it out there this morning.   I’m not without sin.

But I just love this board. Even when we’re being dicks to each other. I don’t know.

We’re you thinking of anyone here in particular when you posted that, DWags?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-07, 00:16

TIL, the most medals won by any individual player in men's Olympic basketball history is four. Two guys from the former Soviet Union and...Carmelo Anthony. Anthony has 3 golds and a bronze, more golds than any other individual player in Olympic history.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-07, 13:37

Turtleneck wrote:TIL, the most medals won by any individual player in men's Olympic basketball history is four. Two guys from the former Soviet Union and...Carmelo Anthony. Anthony has 3 golds and a bronze, more golds than any other individual player in Olympic history.
Another sad reminder the Pistons drafted Darko ahead of Melo, Bosh (1 gold), and Wade (1 gold, 1 bronze).
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-08-07, 13:55

The Pantry wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:TIL, the most medals won by any individual player in men's Olympic basketball history is four. Two guys from the former Soviet Union and...Carmelo Anthony. Anthony has 3 golds and a bronze, more golds than any other individual player in Olympic history.
Another sad reminder the Pistons drafted Darko ahead of Melo, Bosh (1 gold), and Wade (1 gold, 1 bronze).

Pistons don't win a ship if they draft any of those guys. Possibly Bosh but not Melo or Wade
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-27, 20:47

TV show The Goldbergs started in 2013 and going into it's 8th season. What. The. Fuck.

It's my most hated TV show. Never watched on network TV but it wakes me up at 3am on TVLand if I fall asleep without setting the timer. All the characters do is yell.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by indianaspartan 2021-08-27, 23:36

Bill Bonds was in "Escape From the Planet of the Apes." 1971.  Played himself.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 11 Tv_new10
indianaspartan
indianaspartan
Spartiate

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-08-28, 00:04

Awesome. Who’s Bill Bonds
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-28, 00:08

Rocinante wrote:Awesome. Who’s Bill Bonds

He would kick your ass after a couple drinks. Trust me. He challenged Coleman young to a fight one night. And if you smoked enough weed his toupee would talk to you. Last of the great news anchors. The very best. And fuck you if you don’t know that. (That’s what he’d tell ya)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

indianaspartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-28, 00:16

Channel 7 news anchorman in Detroit for years. Will Ferrell's character in Anchorman was supposedly based on Mort Crim (anchor for channel 4 in Detroit) but I think Bill Bonds was the actual character base. Bill was an asshat Ferrell could easily get in character with.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-28, 00:25

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-28, 00:33

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-28, 00:45

DWags wrote:

He would kick your ass after a couple drinks. Trust me. He challenged Coleman young to a fight one night. And if you smoked enough weed his toupee would talk to you. Last of the great news anchors. The very best. And fuck you if you don’t know that. (That’s what he’d tell ya)
My ex served tables at Fox & Hounds before we we married. Bonds was there often. Not very friendly to the wait staff. Considered himself a celebrity.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-08-28, 08:03

DWags wrote:

Yep. Also the first local news anchor to make 1 million a year. I worked at Broadcast House ( channel 7 studios) during the summer of 1980. One of my jobs was to pick up Bonds from the Vinyards bar and make sure he made it back for the 5 o'clock news. One of a kind.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-28, 08:25

indianaspartan wrote:Bill Bonds was in "Escape From the Planet of the Apes." 1971.  Played himself.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 11 Tv_new10
Diana Lewis, another Channel 7 (WXYZ) news anchor, played a TV reporter in Rocky.

MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

The Pantry, DWags and indianaspartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-25, 22:59

You can buy the Sports Illustrated cover of Earvin dunking on Bird some nameless, faceless loser from the ‘79 title game in poster-size.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/michigan-state-magic-johnson-1979-ncaa-national-april-02-1979-sports-illustrated-cover.html?product=poster&googleShopping=true&completeProductSku=artworkid%5B30111224%5D-productid%5Bposter%5D-imagewidth%5B10.5%5D-imageheight%5B14%5D-paperid%5Blusterphotopaper%5D&gclid=CjwKCAiAn5uOBhADEiwA_pZwcCWfqGeqd8Ro9Q4_jtBc602YIHeSVPaDuNfnYPj1p3D15CEHz8ce_BoCFB8QAvD_BwE

Edit: That’s not Larry Bird, but we still drank his milkshake.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-04-11, 20:10

TIL Cheesecake Factory is a product of Detroit. It was a question on Jeopardy, so I looked it up. A lady opened up a cheesecake bakery in Detroit in the 50s, but quit to raise kids. In the 70s her son is living out in LA and convinced his mom and dad to come out and open a cheesecake bakery.

Side note: Around 1989 or 90, I worked a little bit one summer at Kinnee's Cheesecakes in Flint. To this day, still the absolute best cheesecakes I've ever eaten.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-11, 21:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:TIL Cheesecake Factory is a product of Detroit. It was a question on Jeopardy, so I looked it up. A lady opened up a cheesecake bakery in Detroit in the 50s, but quit to raise kids. In the 70s her son is living out in LA and convinced his mom and dad to come out and open a cheesecake bakery.

Side note: Around 1989 or 90, I worked a little bit one summer at Kinnee's Cheesecakes in Flint. To this day, still the absolute best cheesecakes I've ever eaten.

That was something I learned a few years ago when it was mentioned in an article on the Cheesecake Factory opening in suburban Detroit. It was considered news because — with the opening — it was the first CF to open in Michigan since the original.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-11, 21:31

btw, if you’re looking for another excellent cheesecake maker, give Eli’s a try. Mrs. GW and I are fans. You can order online through their website or goldbelly. We even sent a few out as holiday gifts.

https://elicheesecake.com/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-04-14, 15:21

There is such at thing as STD week.

[tw]1514378145125724161[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-28, 16:03

Today I learned Seth Myers lived in East Lansing for a few years while his mom was in grad school. Or maybe I once knew it but have since forgotten. I’m old. It’s possible.

'Late Night' host Seth Meyers talks Michigan roots, dad jokes before Detroit benefit show

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2022/04/28/late-night-host-seth-meyers-headline-forgotten-harvest-event/9553468002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-16, 20:30

Had no idea they were buddies.  Worth the watch.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-09, 19:17

TIL Christie Brinkley is originally from Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Brinkley
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-09, 19:21

tGreenWay wrote:TIL Christie Brinkley is originally from Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Brinkley

OMG she is 44 days older than I am.

Have considered her the first of the "super models" and with my weakness for pretty faced blonds she was a favorite, behind Monroe of course.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next