Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-10, 19:35

Wait, the Bay City Yacht Club (and the mouth) aren't in Bay City?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-10, 20:31

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Wait, the Bay City Yacht Club (and the mouth) aren't in Bay City?
Not Lake Huron. Not really even Saginaw Bay.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-10-10, 20:49

The plan was to post a TIL that said you can kill a tree by hammering a copper nail into it. It would take a few months but it would work. But then I found another source that said it wasn’t true. Now, I don’t know what to believe anymore.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-10, 21:08

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saginaw_Bay

The bay is a part of Lake Huron.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 20231010
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-10, 22:11

AvgMSUJoe wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saginaw_Bay

The bay is a part of Lake Huron.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 20231010
Okay. Better that saying Clare is the gateway to the north.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-05, 13:36

I never realized Newfoundland/Labrador was so beautiful. Bored and browsing because I subscribe to this guys YouTube channel where he has a remote cabin on a lake. Did some looking and holy crap. Looks stunning. Almost like Ireland seaside? Anybody ever been?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-05, 15:04

kingstonlake wrote:I never realized Newfoundland/Labrador was so beautiful. Bored and browsing because I subscribe to this guys YouTube channel where he has a remote cabin on a lake. Did some looking and holy crap. Looks stunning. Almost like Ireland seaside? Anybody ever been?

I am sure people have been there, Kingston. That's a pretty dumb question since like hundreds of thousands of people live there. If nobody had ever been there, how would we know it existed? Even if your cabin buddy is the one person, that still means somebody has been there.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-05, 15:10

Turtleneck wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I never realized Newfoundland/Labrador was so beautiful. Bored and browsing because I subscribe to this guys YouTube channel where he has a remote cabin on a lake. Did some looking and holy crap. Looks stunning. Almost like Ireland seaside? Anybody ever been?

I am sure people have been there, Kingston. That's a pretty dumb question since like hundreds of thousands of people live there. If nobody had ever been there, how would we know it existed? Even if your cabin buddy is the one person, that still means somebody has been there.

Have ever considered a hobby?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-12-12, 13:30

TIL that the reason ice skating works is because you melt the ice as your skates pass over it.

The science behind ice skating.
https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/ice-skating-miracle-physics/

The grooves seen on the rink ice after ice skaters have passed over it aren't due to the ice skates "scratching" the surface of the ice, but rather to the pressure from the blades melting the ice beneath them, with the ice then re-freezing after the blades have left them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-12, 14:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:TIL that the reason ice skating works is because you melt the ice as your skates pass over it.

The grooves seen on the rink ice after ice skaters have passed over it aren't due to the ice skates "scratching" the surface of the ice, but rather to the pressure from the blades melting the ice beneath them, with the ice then re-freezing after the blades have left them.
friction is a drag.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-12, 14:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:TIL that the reason ice skating works is because you melt the ice as your skates pass over it.

friction is a drag.

What you did there? I seen it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-12, 14:25

This seems like science I might try to poke holes in, but I’m tired and under-caffeinated and not in the mood to tell the smarties how wrong they are.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-12, 15:33

tGreenWay wrote:

This seems like science I might try to poke holes in, but I’m tired and under-caffeinated and not in the mood to tell the smarties how wrong they are.

If you poke holes in ice bad things happen
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-12, 16:38

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If you poke holes in ice bad things happen

Not if you have the right bait and a tip-up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-12-12, 18:30

Urologists have the most stressful job.

Most stressful jobs 2023: Judges, nurses and video editors all rank in top 10

Stress level 100, however that's measured.

Let the witty replies flow.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-12, 19:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:Urologists have the most stressful job.

That’s a lot of pressure, Floyd. Major stress trying to think of something.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-12, 19:41

You'd think they would be able to get up for their job.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2023-12-12, 22:32

If you think we are going to flood the board with witty replies, urine for a.surprise.
gomersbro
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-12, 22:44

Probably a lot of uncomfortable conversations pop up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-13, 07:18

I got the snip-snip about a 15-18 years ago and the urologist who performed the procedure's name is Max Rizer.

seriously.

Max Rizer, DO, is a board-certified physician specializing in urology. Dr. Rizer earned his medical degree from Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine in East Lansing. He completed his general surgery residency at Ingham Regional Medical Center in Lansing, Michigan and his urology residency at Michigan State University/Ingham Regional Medical Center in East Lansing.  
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-12-13, 09:49

For almost all solids pressure increases the melting point.  Water is unusual and awesome.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRne7dHMNuVF4E0cWiBMvz7-vVlkawXbfyMjL7wDPgUBn3O-upYAKGZG8zM9RqNyh7XwIU&usqp=CAU
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-14, 01:54

It turns out other people know about and have been to Newfoundland/Labrador, so word is out about this place. A planeload of passengers onboard a Delta flight from Amsterdam to Detroit had to make an emergency landing there. 270 people slept in beds supplied by the Canadian Air Force.

https://people.com/delta-passengers-stranded-overnight-at-military-base-8414866
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-14, 07:47

Never, ever, click on a thread titled " Botox for your nuts".
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-01-29, 13:50

The Day Willie Horton Saved Al Kaline's Life

Half a century later and I'm just now learning this one.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags, AvgMSUJoe, gomersbro and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-01-29, 16:40

TIL that swearing helps lessen pain.

https://www.psychiatrist.com/news/profanity-can-sometimes-be-the-best-medicine-increasing-pain-tolerance-33-percent/#:~:text=Studies%20suggest%20that%20cursing%20can,to%20tolerate%20pain%20and%20discomfort.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-29, 16:48

tGreenWay wrote:TIL that swearing helps lessen pain.

https://www.psychiatrist.com/news/profanity-can-sometimes-be-the-best-medicine-increasing-pain-tolerance-33-percent/#:~:text=Studies%20suggest%20that%20cursing%20can,to%20tolerate%20pain%20and%20discomfort.
Did that really need a study? Proven fact IME.

DWags?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and gomersbro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-01-29, 16:55

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL that swearing helps lessen pain.

Did that really need a study? Proven fact IME.

DWags?

Now i feel bad for not knowing this. Fuck!
Okay, i feel better now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-29, 17:06

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Did that really need a study? Proven fact IME.

DWags?

Okay, i feel better now.
You obviously never had hemorrhoids. Have heard kidney stones are much worse and thankful never had one.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-01-29, 18:31

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Okay, i feel better now.
You obviously never had hemorrhoids. Have heard kidney stones are much worse and thankful never had one.

Just the idea of kidney stones scares the living crap out of me. When it comes to pain, I freely admit to being a great big baby.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2024-01-30, 15:58

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You obviously never had hemorrhoids. Have heard kidney stones are much worse and thankful never had one.

Just the idea of kidney stones scares the living crap out of me. When it comes to pain, I freely admit to being a great big baby.

I can confirm kidney stones suck. I once broke a bone in my hand. The doctor had never seen the bone broken in that way. He didn't believe me that I broke it by punching the concrete wall--until I told him I was standing at the urinal and I punched the wall because I had kidney stones.
gomersbro
Spartiate

The Pantry, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-01-30, 18:23

gomersbro wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I can confirm kidney stones suck. I once broke a bone in my hand. The doctor had never seen the bone broken in that way. He didn't believe me that I broke it by punching the concrete wall--until I told him I was standing at the urinal and I punched the wall because I had kidney stones.

TIL gomersbro has pain-rage issues. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 13 1550444538
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-01, 18:47

The judge presiding over the Jennifer Crumbley trial is the judge that sat at my last post-divorce hearing. No attorneys present...just me vs kitten. She ruled in my favor. First and only time I won in divorce court.

Hope Jennifer ends up behind bars for a while...her husband too.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-01, 20:09

The Pantry wrote:The judge presiding over the Jennifer Crumbley trial is the judge that sat at my last post-divorce hearing. No attorneys present...just me vs kitten. She ruled in my favor. First and only time I won in divorce court.

It’s unlikely.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-01, 21:12

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:The judge presiding over the Jennifer Crumbley trial is the judge that sat at my last post-divorce hearing. No attorneys present...just me vs kitten. She ruled in my favor. First and only time I won in divorce court.

It’s unlikely.
Why?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-01, 21:44

Small world Pantry ( and glad you won) and I agree completely about the parents.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-01, 21:48

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It’s unlikely.
Why?

A couple conversations with lawyer folk in the neighborhood, one of whom is my closest friend. Both agree the prosecution so far doesn't have enough to meet the standard. Tomorrow’s cross could be interesting, though. It’s also possible the jury simply wants its pound of flesh for what happened. I haven’t paid close attention, but the two I spoke with have watched every minute.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-01, 22:08

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Why?

A couple conversations with lawyer folk in the neighborhood, one of whom is my closest friend. Both agree the prosecution so far doesn't have enough to meet the standard. Tomorrow’s cross could be interesting, though. It’s also possible the jury simply wants its pound of flesh for what happened. I haven’t paid close attention, but the two I spoke with have watched every minute.

I know zero about law but want 10 pounds of flesh. Those parents bought their clearly disturbed child a fucking gun.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-02, 03:52

Are the parents in jail during trial or have they been out on bond? They did try to flee.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-02, 20:18

Why this guy (fire department captain) was banging her is mind-bottling.

Jennifer Crumbley’s former lover reveals damning text messages at trial
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-02, 20:27

DWags wrote:Are the parents in jail during trial or have they been out on bond? They did try to flee.

They’ve been in jail since their apprehension and yes, it’s because they tried to flee.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next