Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.

+8
Nordic
Blanch32
Triple Sparty
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
The Pantry
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.  Empty Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.

Post by DWags 2017-03-08, 23:07

So I think I'm out of power till Saturday. Two fridges. Maybe 250-350 worth of frozen food and regular shit. (Fruits in the fridge fuckers ). I'll put it in the garage tomorrow so no problem. Anyway, gas and oil went in after 2 years for the first time. Swear to god started on first pull and ran for a minute. Then off. Then it starts and stops. Took the air filter off. Clean. Won't stay on. Used carb boost. Same shit.

Ideas?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.  Empty Re: Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-08, 23:17

Fuck with the choke a little and you'll find its G-spot
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.  Empty Re: Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-08, 23:21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6esHkPyygWw

This guy says to check the oil pressure
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-08, 23:23

The Pantry wrote:Fuck with the choke a little and you'll find its G-spot

What are you saying? After it kicks on for 20 seconds move it around?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-08, 23:23

GRR Spartan wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6esHkPyygWw

This guy says to check the oil pressure

Will do.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-08, 23:27

DWags wrote:

Start moving the choke after it starts to find where it is happiest. If it dies, you moved poorly...try again.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-08, 23:28

DWags wrote:

Stick your dick in the gas hole. That's a full choke.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-08, 23:35

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

I was going to say this. Fucker.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-08, 23:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I was going to say this. Fucker.

Sorry. Being a couple hours ahead of you gave me a head start.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-08, 23:47

Did you put in enough gas?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-08, 23:54

Triple Sparty wrote:Did you put in enough gas?

Four gallons. I quit for the night. I'm thinking not enough oil. No dip stick
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 00:18

Triple Sparty wrote:Did you put in enough gas?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-09, 07:59

DWags wrote:

Go next door and trade your neighbor some of your Jim Bakker emergency food buckets for his generator.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-03-09, 08:20

DWags wrote:So I think I'm out of power till Saturday. Two fridges. Maybe 250-350 worth of frozen food and regular shit. (Fruits in the fridge fuckers ). I'll put it in the garage tomorrow so no problem. Anyway, gas and oil went in after 2 years for the first time. Swear to god started on first pull and ran for a minute. Then off. Then it starts and stops. Took the air filter off. Clean. Won't stay on. Used carb boost. Same shit.

Ideas?

why so much food? you that big of a fat ass?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 08:32

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Go next door and trade your neighbor some of your Jim Bakker emergency food buckets for his generator.

Yeah, I don't know what this means.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-03-09, 09:29

Probably the flexure valve or the bypass line.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 09:43

Nordic wrote:Probably the flexure valve or the bypass line.

I guess we're freezing till Saturday. Daughter is home from college her and the young look at me matter of factory and say "we'll get a room at .. hotel". Hahhahahaha. Was my answer. Freeze your ass with me. Wear sweats. Generation is soft.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-09, 09:52

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:Probably the flexure valve or the bypass line.

I guess we're freezing till Saturday. Daughter is home from college her and the young look at me matter of factory and say "we'll get a room at .. hotel". Hahhahahaha. Was my answer.  Freeze your ass with me. Wear sweats. Generation is soft.

I've got 2 empty bedrooms Wags.

We could go to the Moose Lodge fish Fry tomorrow night!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 10:04

Sounds like you broke your Johnson rod.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 10:04

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

I guess we're freezing till Saturday. Daughter is home from college her and the young look at me matter of factory and say "we'll get a room at .. hotel". Hahhahahaha. Was my answer.  Freeze your ass with me. Wear sweats. Generation is soft.

Thing I miss the most living in prison down here.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-03-09, 10:09

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

does dwags have a pretty mouth?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-09, 10:40

DWags wrote:So I think I'm out of power till Saturday. Two fridges. Maybe 250-350 worth of frozen food and regular shit. (Fruits in the fridge fuckers ). I'll put it in the garage tomorrow so no problem. Anyway, gas and oil went in after 2 years for the first time. Swear to god started on first pull and ran for a minute. Then off. Then it starts and stops. Took the air filter off. Clean. Won't stay on. Used carb boost. Same shit.

Ideas?

Did you check to see if the Johnson rod was moving freely?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-09, 11:03

Its been awhile so now I have to ask

Why did you buy the generator and let it sit for 18+ months before starting it?

Next time play nice with a school facilities repair guy who has some small engine repair knowledge.

Next time you'll be ready.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 12:25

GRR Spartan wrote:Its been awhile so now I have to ask

Next time play nice with a school facilities repair guy who has some small engine repair knowledge.

Ok I'm not embarrassed to say this because I can admit I'm an ok mechanic I've made some wood working projects put a sink in my basement etc. I'm not helpless.

So, first the fucking thing is running. Last night I come home in the dark. I have a miners head band flashlight. I put four gallons of gas in, I put oil in. Check level good to go. I put power switch on choke on and, get ready to laugh, I turned the fuel lever off. It was in the on position at factory. It's night and in my defense I turned it to run parallel to the fuel line, just like my fucking sprinklers. I turn that shit perpendicular to shut it off. Not this. It's in a "T" position to flow. WTF? So the first time I pulled, it ran for a bit, then went off. When I re-tried it every time I'd go through a verbal procedure and physically do it. A , "Switch off now on, choke open now shut fuel line closed now open" and I'd physically do it. Well when I was fucking with the fuel switch I'd open it when I thought I was closing it, then close it when I thought I was opening it. So enough fuel would get in there to start it for a bit then it would stop. To make it worse this morning I did the same thing. I finally googled the owners manual and on my phone I see the diagram of the fuel switch. I didn't tell my family. I said it was the choke. They still think I'm semi cool and handy. It's really all I got going for me.

So go ahead. Have at me.

Edit. GR. Bought it when power went out as I was putting wheels extra parts on it power came on. Wheeled it in the right corner of my garage in front of my 64 T bird. Hadn't lost power in two years. I saw it last summer once and thought I should start it but thought I didn't want oil and gas in it. I'm n idiot but I'm ok now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-09, 13:03

DWags wrote:Wheeled it in the right corner of my garage in front of my 64 T bird.

Which Wags hasn't started since he parked it in the Fall of '66.

Bought a generator two years ago on sale. Never used it.  Barn-find-1960-ford-thunderbird
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 13:10

DWags wrote:

Ok I'm not embarrassed to say this because I can admit I'm an ok mechanic I've made some wood working projects put a sink in my basement etc. I'm not helpless.

So, first the fucking thing is running. Last night I come home in the dark. I have a miners head band flashlight. I put four gallons of gas in, I put oil in. Check level good to go. I put power switch on choke on and, get ready to laugh, I turned the fuel lever off. It was in the on position at factory. It's night and in my defense I turned it to run parallel to the fuel line, just like my fucking sprinklers. I turn that shit perpendicular to shut it off. Not this. It's in a "T" position to flow. WTF? So the first time I pulled, it ran for a bit, then went off. When I re-tried it every time I'd go through a verbal procedure and physically do it. A , "Switch off now on, choke open now shut fuel line closed now open" and I'd physically do it. Well when I was fucking with the fuel switch I'd open it when I thought I was closing it, then close it when I thought I was opening it. So enough fuel would get in there to start it for a bit then it would stop. To make it worse this morning I did the same thing. I finally googled the owners manual and on my phone I see the diagram of the fuel switch. I didn't tell my family. I said it was the choke. They still think I'm semi cool and handy. It's really all I got going for me.

So go ahead. Have at me.

Edit. GR. Bought it when power went out as I was putting wheels extra parts on it power came on. Wheeled it in the right corner of my garage in front of my 64 T bird. Hadn't lost power in two years. I saw it last summer once and thought I should start it but thought I didn't want oil and gas in it. I'm n idiot but I'm ok now.

I know a couple of people with generators hooked up to the house. Theirs cycle a weekly test. I'm not saying you should routinely perform a test, but maybe you should routinely perform a test.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 13:18

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

So go ahead. Have at me.

I know a couple of people with generators hooked up to the house. Theirs cycle a weekly test. I'm not saying you should routinely perform a test, but maybe you should routinely perform a test.

I'll make a note. Thanks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 13:24

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'll make a note. Thanks.

He says, with the sarcasm dripping all over his smartphone.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-09, 13:28

You didn't need to test it weekly. You just needed to read the instructions.

Our thermostat was acting up, so I replaced the battery. Then it immediately went dead. This was confusing.

So, I went on the interwebs and found the manual. The fix was to actually put the battery in backwards (+ on the - , and - on the +) for 10 seconds, and then put it in the correct way. I was like...come on...you've got to be shitting me.

It worked.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-09, 13:48

I felt bad for you last night but had to ask the question today and am glad you found the problem.

20 years ago I joined the dumb homeowner club. Father had died and as the only child living within 300 miles so I took care of cleaning painting etc before putting his house on the market.

We had 3 days of snowmelt and March rain. Sump was running every 3-5 minutes. Wife calls me to the basement. Sump pump was dead and water started to come up to floor level. My father had a spare pump stored next to the furnace that I switched out crisis averted.

But a week later when we were there the new pump fried blowing a breaker and there's no backup next to the furnace. I was the guy buying two sump pumps at Ace Hardware 10 minutes before closing.

I live out in the hinterlands and got lucky. Everyone around us lost power but our neighborhood was spared (for now). 3 neighbors have generators and run them for about 5-10 minutes every 90-120 days.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 13:54

NigelUno wrote:You didn't need to test it weekly. You just needed to read the instructions.

Our thermostat was acting up, so I replaced the battery. Then it immediately went dead. This was confusing.

So, I went on the interwebs and found the manual. The fix was to actually put the battery in backwards (+ on the - , and - on the +) for 10 seconds, and then put it in the correct way. I was like...come on...you've got to be shitting me.

It worked.

I can see how there might be a misunderstanding with the way I worded my post. I wasn't suggesting DWags test his gen weekly, only routinely, which could be once a season. The homes with the gens installed automatically test weekly.
But yes, I do think he needs to do more than just know how to get it running. If nothing else, the practice will make it easier for when he actually needs it up and running with his family wanting their heat and tv back in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-09, 14:03

tGreenWay wrote:
NigelUno wrote:You didn't need to test it weekly. You just needed to read the instructions.

It worked.

I can see how there might be a misunderstanding with the way I worded my post. I wasn't suggesting DWags test his gen weekly, only routinely, which could be once a season. The homes with the gens installed automatically test weekly.
But yes, I do think he needs to do more than just know how to get it running. If nothing else, the practice will make it easier for when he actually needs it up and running with his family wanting their heat and tv back in.

O, I know I should have done it. No doubt. I was thinking of an all house generator this fall but the youngest is a junior and I really want to leave southeast Michigan in a couple years. Got to get back permanently to the west side. So I'm not looking to spend that on one. Days like this however, really make you think about it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-09, 14:19

So DWags, did your place on the West coast keep its roof and any surrounding trees stay put?

Save the cash for a Generac so when your power goes out due to a winter storm you aren't cussing out a portable generator in 10 degrees.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-09, 14:46

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

O, I know I should have done it. No doubt. I was thinking of an all house generator this fall but the youngest is a junior and I really want to leave southeast Michigan in a couple years. Got to get back permanently to the west side. So I'm not looking to spend that on one. Days like this however, really make you think about it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. Been meaning to speak with one of the guys I know who has one. I also want a tankless water heater.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-03-09, 15:46

Ideas?

Punt?
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-03-09, 20:29

DWags wrote:

So go ahead. Have at me.

So you found the bypass valve... nice work
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-03-09, 20:57

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. Been meaning to speak with one of the guys I know who has one. I also want a tankless water heater.

A few of my neighbors have them and love them. Everytime the power goes out (which is several times a year) and I'm wheeling the generator with flat tires around and running cords everywhere the wife reminds we need to get one. But I'm Dutch and cheap and enjoy a good challenge.

Anyway...if your power goes out often they are awesome. Neighbor just put in his second unit....which scared me off since I didn't think he installed the first that long ago. But he's retired and always buying/trading in new tractors, so I think he just likes new equipment.

Regarding the tankless water heater. I was looking at these recently as my current tank is of age and needs to be replaced before it blows. I came across this good read on tankless units.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevity/tankless-water-heaters.html
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-03-10, 06:21

Wife suggested we buy a generator. I said why? Power has gone out long enough to need one once in the twenty five years we've lived here and that was in the middle of summer. Yeah I know, now I've jinxed myself.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2017-03-10, 08:12

Oil level
Bad gas
Gummed up carb
Spark plug

Spark - Air - Fuel
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down