Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro...

+7
InTenSity
Cameron
duffy munn
WhiteBoyHatcher
aualum06
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
11 posters

Go down

Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro... Empty Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro...

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:02

...but didn't, and came back for another year?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro... Empty Re: Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro...

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-04-03, 22:04

Magic in 1978. Come on nigel tighten it up this is grade school level stuff.

I have no idea the circumstances of magic coming back. I'm sure they would have taken him if he went pro a year earlier.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro... Empty Re: Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro...

Post by aualum06 2017-04-03, 22:04

Magic then Mateen
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Magic in 1978. Come on nigel tighten it up this is grade school level stuff.

I have no idea the circumstances of magic coming back. I'm sure they would have taken him if he went pro a year earlier.

Couldn't go pro after your FR year back then.

But, nice try.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:10

aualum06 wrote:Magic then Mateen

Was there a lot of talk about Mateen going pro?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-04-03, 22:10

NigelUno wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Magic then Mateen

Was there a lot of talk about Mateen going pro?

Yes after the final four his junior year there was a decent chance he would go.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-03, 22:13

A player's brother and I were discussing this.

The closest comp to this situation in the modern era is Harrison Barnes coming back. But in reality since the NBA did away with the straight outta High School rule, Bridges would be the best/highest rated player to come back after his freshman year.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-04-03, 22:14

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Magic in 1978. Come on nigel tighten it up this is grade school level stuff.

But, nice try.

You sure about this? Pretty sure you didn't have to have to go to college at all back then.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-03, 22:15

Kirk Gibson
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-03, 22:15

Kalin Lucas isn't at the top of the list, but he deserves a mention, right?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:34

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

But, nice try.  

You sure about this? Pretty sure you didn't have to have to go to college at all back then.

My recollection (which seems to be wrong) was that you could declare "hardship" after your SO year.  I don't recall a lot of talk about Magic going pro after his FR year, but maybe I'm just not remembering it.  

You could enter as a HS player (due to the Haywood lawsuit in '71).  Malone entered the ABA in '74 (then merged with the NBA), and Dawkins and Willoughby entered the NBA in '75.  No high school player went direct to the NBA for 20 years after that.  

Manute was the biggest name to go as a FR, and that was in '85.

So, technically Magic would apply, but I was thinking more along the lines of under Izzo.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-04-03, 22:36

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

My recollection (which seems to be wrong) was that you could declare "hardship" after your SO year.  I don't recall a lot of talk about Magic going pro after his FR year, but maybe I'm just not remembering it.  

You could enter as a HS player (due to the Haywood lawsuit in '71).  Malone entered the ABA in '74 (then merged with the NBA), and Dawkins and Willoughby entered the NBA in '75.  No high school player went direct to the NBA for 20 years after that.  

So, technically Magic would apply, but I was thinking more along the lines of under Izzo.

Back before the NBA drafted on potential​ too
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:38

aualum06 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Back before the NBA drafted on potential​ too

Yeah. One and done's didn't really get going until the late 1990's.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-03, 22:41

Gary Harris?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-03, 22:49

Harris and Payne recently. In the Izzo era though it was definitely Mateen.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-03, 22:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Harris and Payne recently. In the Izzo era though it was definitely Mateen.

I definitely remember talk about G. Harris going pro (and then coming back).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-04-03, 22:59

Cameron wrote:Kalin Lucas isn't at the top of the list, but he deserves a mention, right?
Wasn't summers rated higher?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-03, 23:00

NigelUno wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Harris and Payne recently. In the Izzo era though it was definitely Mateen.

I definitely remember talk about G. Harris going pro (and then coming back).

There was a lot of talk about AP, too. Don't you remember? I actually hung on that one quite a bit. Harris announced early he was coming back. AP's decision lingered. I thought we were going to be the best team in the country if AP came back. I was right...until Appling hurt his wrist. Who was our biggest (best) player who could have gone pro... 4177874726
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-04-03, 23:05

InTenSity wrote:
Cameron wrote:Kalin Lucas isn't at the top of the list, but he deserves a mention, right?
Wasn't summers rated higher?

He was great in both final four runs
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2017-04-03, 23:12

Summers should have gone early
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-04-03, 23:18

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Magic could have bolted after his freshman year. And yes you are right about hardship.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-04-03, 23:47

NigelUno wrote:...but didn't, and came back for another year?

Tolbert out of hs. lock it
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-04-03, 23:49

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Summers should have gone early

And kill, and Ballenger, and hill
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-04, 00:02

IIRC, Sten Feldreich was listed at 7'1" at MSU, which makes all you fuckers wrong. I'm certain Sten could've played pro ball somewhere like Monaco or Luxembourg. Eat shit, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-04-04, 07:24

tGreenWay wrote:IIRC, Sten Feldreich was listed at 7'1" at MSU, which makes all you fuckers wrong. I'm certain Sten could've played pro ball somewhere like Monaco or Luxembourg. Eat shit, Travis.

But, he didn't come back.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-04-04, 13:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:A player's brother and I were discussing this.

The closest comp to this situation in the modern era is Harrison Barnes coming back. But in reality since the NBA did away with the straight outta High School rule, Bridges would be the best/highest rated player to come back after his freshman year.

A potential top 10 pick in this years draft from Texas AM is coming back.
Ivan Rabb did it last year after being in that range. It looks like he might have fell about five spots
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down