Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

+3
duffy munn
The Pantry
DWags
7 posters

Go down

Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time? Empty Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 am

Yesterday the kids and I were talking about something and his name came up as the greatest host and comedian in the history of TV.

How old do you have to be to remember him in his prime? 50?

Floyd R. Turbo - American

Carnac the Magnificent

And to give the youngsters some idea of the influence he had in America:

In December 1973, Carson joked on Tonight about an alleged shortage of toilet paper. Panic buying and hoarding ensued across the United States as consumers emptied stores, causing a real shortage that lasted for weeks. Stores and toilet paper manufacturers had to ration supplies until the panic ended. Carson apologized in January 1974 for the incident, which became what The New York Times called a "classic study" of how rumors spread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time? Empty Re: Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

Post by DWags Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:57 am

Loved him. Also the Carol Burnett show was maybe the best weekly comedy show of all time.

Two giants. By the way, the TV in Manistee would go off the air after the tonight show.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time? Empty Re: Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

Post by The Pantry Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Went to see the Tonight Show back in 90-91. His guest was Seinfeld, who I had never heard of before. Can't remember the other guests. Always liked Carson better than Leno, Letterman, etc. He was great in skits.

Drove up from Carlsbad that morning to get tickets. Good thing we left early because what should have been an hour and a half drive took close to 4 hours in LA's fucked up traffic.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:54 pm

DWags wrote:Loved him. Also the Carol Burnett show was maybe the best weekly comedy show of all time.

Two giants. By the way, the TV in Manistee would go off the air after the tonight show.

The Carol Burnett show was a classic. Nobody ( especially Harvey Korman) could keep a straight face when Tim Conway was doing his thing.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Definitely the greatest talk show host ever.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 pm

I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.
You suck at trolling.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Arsenio Hall
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Two votes for Hall now. I think it's settled.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Yeah, JC is the all-time greatest, but I rarely watched. He was always too bland for me. I'm all in for Letterman, even though he phoned it in the last several years. Early Letterman was so sarcastic and stupid. I loved every minute of it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 am

The Pantry wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.
You suck at trolling.

So you're saying I'm no Herbie?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:19 am

The master.   This old guy reminds me of my grandpa, he would have been 3 years older.   

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down