Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-02, 10:22

Yesterday the kids and I were talking about something and his name came up as the greatest host and comedian in the history of TV.

How old do you have to be to remember him in his prime? 50?

Floyd R. Turbo - American

Carnac the Magnificent

And to give the youngsters some idea of the influence he had in America:

In December 1973, Carson joked on Tonight about an alleged shortage of toilet paper. Panic buying and hoarding ensued across the United States as consumers emptied stores, causing a real shortage that lasted for weeks. Stores and toilet paper manufacturers had to ration supplies until the panic ended. Carson apologized in January 1974 for the incident, which became what The New York Times called a "classic study" of how rumors spread.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: Johnny Carson - the Greatest of all time?

Post by DWags on 2017-07-02, 10:57

Loved him. Also the Carol Burnett show was maybe the best weekly comedy show of all time.

Two giants. By the way, the TV in Manistee would go off the air after the tonight show.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-02, 11:52

Went to see the Tonight Show back in 90-91. His guest was Seinfeld, who I had never heard of before. Can't remember the other guests. Always liked Carson better than Leno, Letterman, etc. He was great in skits.

Drove up from Carlsbad that morning to get tickets. Good thing we left early because what should have been an hour and a half drive took close to 4 hours in LA's fucked up traffic.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-07-02, 11:54

DWags wrote:Loved him. Also the Carol Burnett show was maybe the best weekly comedy show of all time.

Two giants. By the way, the TV in Manistee would go off the air after the tonight show.

The Carol Burnett show was a classic. Nobody ( especially Harvey Korman) could keep a straight face when Tim Conway was doing his thing.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-07-02, 12:37

Definitely the greatest talk show host ever.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-02, 13:46

I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-02, 15:33

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.
You suck at trolling.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-07-02, 20:45

Arsenio Hall

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-07-02, 20:45

Two votes for Hall now. I think it's settled.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-07-02, 22:28

Yeah, JC is the all-time greatest, but I rarely watched. He was always too bland for me. I'm all in for Letterman, even though he phoned it in the last several years. Early Letterman was so sarcastic and stupid. I loved every minute of it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-02, 23:09

The Pantry wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I remember Carson. He was good but he was no Arsenio Hall. I also would put him a notch below Magic and Chevy Chase.
You suck at trolling.

So you're saying I'm no Herbie?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum