Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time?

+2
Watch Out Pylon!
TheReal_LWS
6 posters

Go down

Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time? Empty Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time?

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-11-26, 10:16

We watch INSP almost exclusively in our house. Unless we are watching sports.

I am constantly blown away by the quality of Gunsmoke. It had movie quality (for the time) in every episode. The cinematography, direction, writing, storylines, and acting were all top shelf. Festus is one of the greatest TV show characters of all time!

My only complaint? The reuse of actors. Denver Pyle (Uncle Jessie from The Dukes Of Hazzard) was a guest star in about 30 episodes over the show's run, and was a different character every time! Other than that, I can't find much to nitpick with the show. It is still awesome to watch all these decade later.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time? Empty Re: Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time?

Post by Guest 2018-11-26, 10:38

TheReal_LWS wrote:We watch INSP almost exclusively in our house. Unless we are watching sports.

I am constantly blown away by the quality of Gunsmoke. It had movie quality (for the time) in every episode. The cinematography, direction, writing, storylines, and acting were all top shelf. Festus is one of the greatest TV show characters of all time!

My only complaint? The reuse of actors. Denver Pyle (Uncle Jessie from The Dukes Of Hazzard) was a guest star in about 30 episodes over the show's run, and was a different character every time! Other than that, I can't find much to nitpick with the show. It is still awesome to watch all these decade later.

14 episodes over 17 years of 635 episodes made.

Other well known character actors were in more.
Morgan Woodward 19
Victor French 18
Jack Elam 15
Anthony Caruso 14

Those are the best known of the actors in the teens.

Gunsmoke was really 2 distinct shows - the 300 or so early B&W episodes with Chester.
For someone that has only watched to color episodes it's somewhat of a jolt to see how
dark many of these episodes were.

The last 300 or so shows with Quint, Thad and the slow transition of Festus from the roguish bit player to one of the leads. The more Festus you get the more light and
comical the show was.

My daughter won't even watch the Festus episodes while I prefer them.

But the short answer to your question is no. It's not the greatest TV show.
For week to week greatness that honor goes to Seinfeld, followed by Frasier,
Taxi and Fernwood/America2Night.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time? Empty Re: Is Gunsmoke the greatest TV show of all time?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-26, 10:50

No. Survivor is much better.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2018-11-26, 10:55

LooseGoose wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:We watch INSP almost exclusively in our house. Unless we are watching sports.

Morgan Woodward 19
Victor French 18
Jack Elam 15
Anthony Caruso 14

Gunsmoke was really 2 distinct shows - the 300 or so early B&W episodes with Chester.
For someone that has only watched to color episodes it's somewhat of a jolt to see how

The last 300 or so shows with Quint, Thad and the slow transition of Festus from the roguish bit player to one of the leads. The more Festus you get the more light and
comical the show was.

Any mention of best ever that does not include All in the Family is fraudulent.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-11-26, 11:10

I haven't watched enough Gun Smoke to comment. I did re-watch the entire Cheers series on Netflix a few years back. I thought it was one of the best series of all time but I changed my opinion after this recent watch. The early material with Coach and Diane held up well but the later episodes were too whacky.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-11-26, 11:16

duffy munn wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Morgan Woodward 19
Victor French 18
Jack Elam 15
Anthony Caruso 14

comical the show was.

Any mention of best ever that does not include All in the Family is fraudulent.

I actually thought about adding it. I love the first 3-4 years, they tackled issues head on that no TV series today would touch. But the last 4-5 years were much spottier.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-11-26, 11:17

Just found this and didn't know it existed on Youtube.

The very 1st episode of Fernwood2Night.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Lord 2018-11-26, 11:46

Most of the greatest classic TV series owe their success to the perfect interactions of an ensemble cast and in that respect Gunsmoke is the best ever. Matt, Chester, Doc, and Kitty were perfect. However, once Dennis Weaver left and later when the show abandoned the black and white format, it became just another TV show only as good as the current week's script.
Space Lord
Space Lord
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-11-26, 12:41

Seinfeld may be the most overrated tripe in the history of television.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-11-26, 12:47

AitF is awesome. I would put it squarely 2nd on my list.

Also, all sitcoms that came after it are merely derivative. It was the trendsetter in the genre.

That doesn't take anything away from other great sitcoms, just that they all got their cues from the Bunkers.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2018-11-26, 12:48

I'm surprised that you love Archie Bunker.

Not really.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-11-26, 12:52

Death Roe wrote:I'm surprised that you love Archie Bunker.

Not really.

Hmmm. Not sure how you jumped from me liking AitF to me loving Archie Bunker. But then, jumping to conclusions is what DR does!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2018-11-26, 12:53

TheReal_LWS wrote:

Not really.

Hmmm. Not sure how you jumped from me liking AitF to me loving Archie Bunker. But then, jumping to conclusions is what DR does!

I'm not as saintly as someone who said a guy should eat a sock soaked in cyanide...
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-11-26, 12:53

Death Roe wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

I'm not as saintly as someone who said a guy should eat a sock soaked in cyanide...

yeah....I was completely serious about that.............
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-11-26, 12:54

TheReal_LWS wrote:

Not really.

I doubt he's ever seen an episode.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2018-11-26, 13:40

Not really.

In the words of the great Archie Bunker: " let those who are without sin, be the rolling stone."
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down