Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too much democracy?

+3
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Turtleneck
7 posters

Go down

Too much democracy? Empty Too much democracy?

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-03, 12:29

As we all know, this is not a direct democracy. Yet populists of all kinds, from Sanders to Trump, yell about elitism. The problem is our system is inherently geared toward elitism, and that is probably not a bad thing.

In a previous post, I mentioned that well-intended efforts to democratize politics by disempowering political gatekeepers and intermediaries have brought disruption and danger to political systems not only in the United States but also abroad. In “More professionalism, less populism: How voting makes us stupid, and what to do about it,” Ben and I grapple with a proposition for which there is mounting evidence: Although increasing political participation is the chicken soup of political reforms (good for whatever ails you), it won’t work, for several reasons.

First, voters are not capable of playing the role that participation-minded reformers would thrust upon them. In the work of Ilya Somin, Christopher Achen and Larry Bartels, Bryan Caplan and others, the literature on flaws in voter decision-making has developed substantially over the past decade or so, to the point where the proposition that populist reforms will produce more representative politics, better governance or a happier public is borderline indefensible.

This is true not because voters are stupid, but because they are smart. Given their vote’s infinitesimal effect, they are rational to limit their investment in policy knowledge and instead to treat their vote as an expression of protest, prejudice or tribal solidarity. Moreover, cognitive psychology finds all kinds of ways in which humans, regardless of their IQ, are systematically biased in their perceptions and priorities. Those biases, expressed at the polls, distort both politics and policy, and neither increasing nor decreasing political participation will obviate them.

Second, even if voters were rational, unbiased and well-informed, they still would be incapable handling the kinds of complex decisions that government must routinely make — even if they wanted to, which they assuredly do not.

Third, the populist, elite-bashing tenor of our times denigrates the great value that professionals and experts offer. The Supreme Court and the Federal Reserve are often-cited examples of how expert decision-making can not only work effectively but enjoy relatively high popular esteem. Ben and I develop another example: intelligence oversight. Although the system for overseeing the intelligence community spans all three branches of government, it is inherently both technocratic and secretive. (It deals, after all, with secrets.) Yet it has proven remarkably effective, popular and representative — more so, we believe, than a more directly democratic system could be.

Intermediation by experts and professionals is no substitute for elections. But neither are elections a substitute for expert and professional intermediation. The Founding Fathers were right to insist on a hybrid system that applies both kinds of filters. They were right to argue (as Madison does in Federalist No. 10) that an intermediated system is more representative than direct democracy, not less so. Unfortunately, decades of progressive and populist reforms have thrown the system out of kilter by delegitimizing and often demonizing intermediaries.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/06/01/why-voting-makes-us-stupid-and-what-to-do-about-it/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=gs
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Too much democracy? Empty Re: Too much democracy?

Post by Cameron 2017-07-04, 11:56

Say what you will about American democracy, but I'm fairly satisfied that we've got the government we deserve. There are people out there who voted Trump and would happily do it all over again. That tells me everything I need to know.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-13, 00:35

Political amateurs are a threat to democracy
What we need is more expertise and experience, not less.

Imagining a political outsider coming in and curing what ails politics is fun and romantic, and it’s not new. On its face, this idea seems very democratic — what could be closer to the ideals of democracy than casting the bastards out and infusing political leadership with new blood, with people who know life outside of the profession of politics? Like many things, this is intuitive but incorrect. Political amateurism presents a threat to democracy.

Democracy is hard. It’s not as simple as picking an election date and site and counting up the votes. It also requires thinking about how different perspectives and stakeholders will be integrated into a system, what to do with the losers of a particular process, and how to balance individual freedom with community concerns. The practice of democracy requires dealing with the reality that disagreement is bound to crop up anytime you get more than one human being in a discussion.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2017/7/12/15959032/political-amateurs-threat-to-democracy
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-13, 00:45

Cameron wrote:Say what you will about American democracy, but I'm fairly satisfied that we've got the government we deserve. There are people out there who voted Trump and would happily do it all over again. That tells me everything I need to know.

What does that bolded part even mean?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-13, 09:27

Many of the people who voted for Trump will continue to support him because they can't or won't connect the dots.
Their children or grandchildren's shot at any kind of college vaporizes because the student loans are gone or too expensive. Their rural schools get more cash strapped because charters of all kinds pop up requiring less transparency than the public schools.

Many of the Trump voters wanted to shake up the system. They got that including a President supporting his oldest son going to a decades long adversary government in hope of getting more information to win the US Presidency.

But it goes further. In MI our legislators are more puppet llike than they ever were prior to term limits. How many fans of disruption voted for Kansas supply side experiment while their state's ecducation system and roads suffered?

In another thread it was mentioned a majority of self-indentified Reublicans and "conservatves" don't think higher education is good for the country. Yet the same folks probably want well trained engineers designing airlners, cars, trucks etc. Want well trained lawyers if they need legal services and don't want a doctor, nurse, PA, PT for themselves with a HS education. Hell, they probably expect their family pet's vet to have a graduate degree.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-13, 10:30

Turtleneck wrote:Political amateurs are a threat to democracy

Imagining a political outsider coming in and curing what ails politics is fun and romantic, and it’s not new. On its face, this idea seems very democratic — what could be closer to the ideals of democracy than casting the bastards out and infusing political leadership with new blood, with people who know life outside of the profession of politics? Like many things, this is intuitive but incorrect. Political amateurism presents a threat to democracy.

Democracy is hard. It’s not as simple as picking an election date and site and counting up the votes. It also requires thinking about how different perspectives and stakeholders will be integrated into a system, what to do with the losers of a particular process, and how to balance individual freedom with community concerns. The practice of democracy requires dealing with the reality that disagreement is bound to crop up anytime you get more than one human being in a discussion.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2017/7/12/15959032/political-amateurs-threat-to-democracy

This should be in the kid rock thread. #takeourgovernmentback!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-07-13, 10:43

But what if the "political experts" are really those that have raised the most dollars from special interest groups?  I don't think that is the kind of representative democracy the founding fathers intended.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-07-13, 11:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Cameron wrote:Say what you will about American democracy, but I'm fairly satisfied that we've got the government we deserve. There are people out there who voted Trump and would happily do it all over again. That tells me everything I need to know.

I had thought it to be fairly self-evident. If we're collectively dumb enough to let Trump into the White House, then we collectively deserve to deal with the consequences of that stupidity.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-13, 11:16

Cameron wrote:

I had thought it to be fairly self-evident. If we're collectively dumb enough to let Trump into the White House, then we collectively deserve to deal with the consequences of that stupidity.

I think it's just sort of a nonsense cliche without much actual meaning behind it if I'm honest with you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-07-13, 11:22

Cameron wrote:

I think it's just sort of a nonsense cliche without much actual meaning behind it if I'm honest with you.

Maybe. That could probably describe many of my political thoughts and opinions.

I just think about the approval rating of congress, then think about the fact that those same people who think congress is shit turn around and vote for the incumbent in their district every fucking time and wonder why nothing changes.

Simply put, the average voter is stupid, and stupid people get fucked. It's basically a law of nature.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-13, 11:26

Cameron wrote:

Maybe. That could probably describe many of my political thoughts and opinions.

I just think about the approval rating of congress, then think about the fact that those same people who think congress is shit turn around and vote for the incumbent in their district every fucking time and wonder why nothing changes.

Simply put, the average voter is stupid, and stupid people get fucked. It's basically a law of nature.

People sure are very very stupid.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-13, 11:33

Herbie Green wrote:

But what if the "political experts" are really those that have raised the most dollars from special interest groups?  I don't think that is the kind of representative democracy the founding fathers intended.

True, but they also clearly feared too much democracy. At the time of the founding, only a minority could vote and the only directly elected officials in national government were members of the House.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-13, 11:41

Turtleneck wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

True, but they also clearly feared too much democracy. At the time of the founding, only a minority could vote and the only directly elected officials in national government were members of the House.

Electoral college was also set up to protect us from the ignorant. Sometimes it even works.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-13, 11:44

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Electoral college was also set up to protect us from the ignorant. Sometimes it even works.

Hamilton writing on the Electoral College in Federalist #68:

The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States.

It did not work in 2016.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-13, 12:06

this..

I've said for years that America is basically a very stupid country. We get what we deserve.

and I get to mock them.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-13, 12:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
this..

I've said for years that America is basically a very stupid country. We get what we deserve.

and I get to mock them.

You get to mock them because you're smarter?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-13, 12:25

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hamilton writing on the Electoral College in Federalist #68:

The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States.

It did not work in 2016.

It did in 1860.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-13, 12:26

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:this..

and I get to mock them.

Because they're stupid.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-13, 12:27

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:this..

and I get to mock them.

I'm not smart at all. In fact, I'm pretty dumb about most things.

but I'm smarter than republicans who vote for a racist, bigoted sexual predator because jesus wants them to.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-13, 13:01

My own observation is nothing is more pathetic than the people who are already in the bottom 20% being interviewed on how they never realized that cutting government spending would mean their elderly parents would lose Meals on Wheels, their local drug treatment funding would dry up or if Trump's infrastructure plan would be passed they'd be paying tolls on roads and bridges they've used for no charge all their lives.

They've boxed themselves in selecting the news that makes them feel better like coal will make a comeback. They fail to notice other factors including automation and mining practices besides the move to natural gas.
Same goes for all the manufacturing and assembly jobs. In automotive it's off shore components, entire engines and drive trains arrive no additional assembly just plug them in and unfortunately for auto workers the product lasts longer reducing predictable annual sales.

Currently the Trump supporters and many self-indentified conservatives refuse to address anything other than I want the world the way it was 10-20-30 years ago or longer.

They aren't stupid. They have been convinced by some very cynical people that their vote can reverse the calendar by decades.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down