Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking: democracy died today

+6
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
10 posters

Go down

Breaking: democracy died today Empty Breaking: democracy died today

Post by kingstonlake 2019-06-27, 10:29

Supreme Court rules against challenges to Republican drawn districts and gerrymandering

Congratulations to Republicans and racists abroad on choosing your voters.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Breaking: democracy died today Empty Re: Breaking: democracy died today

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-27, 10:44

Smells like a lot of BS from SCOTUS here.

The did ban the citizenship question from the census, though.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-06-27, 10:45

So that gerrymandering prop Michigan voted on doesn't mean shit now?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-27, 10:46

Wait, supreme court ruled against Trump and the citizenship question. That's a good thing right?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-27, 10:47

it's a good thing we didn't elect the evil grandmother with the email account....
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-27, 10:47

steveschneider wrote:Wait, supreme court ruled against Trump and the citizenship question. That's a good thing right?
If I read it correctly (reminder, I'm not real smart) - they didn't uphold it or rule against it. I think they sent it back to whichever court it came from.

again, I could be wrong.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-27, 11:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Wait, supreme court ruled against Trump and the citizenship question. That's a good thing right?
If I read it correctly (reminder, I'm not real smart) - they didn't uphold it or rule against it. I think they sent it back to whichever court it came from.

again, I could be wrong.

Close, from what I'm reading. They are sending it back to the Commerce Department because they didn't believe Wilbur Ross's explanation under oath why the question is necessary. So it sounds like he gets another whack at justifying it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-27, 11:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: If I read it correctly (reminder, I'm not real smart) - they didn't uphold it or rule against it. I think they sent it back to whichever court it came from.

again, I could be wrong.

Close, from what I'm reading. They are sending it back to the Commerce Department because they didn't believe Wilbur Ross's explanation under oath why the question is necessary. So it sounds like he gets another whack at justifying it.

Yeah that makes sense. Tip of the hat to Kingston this shit was posted as the story was breaking.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-27, 11:06

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:So that gerrymandering prop Michigan voted on doesn't mean shit now?

It does.
But not until after 2020 (because of the prop)... as opposed to immediately because of the court.

This is mostly for certain other states that have no rules like the one we passed in MI.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-06-27, 11:49

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:So that gerrymandering prop Michigan voted on doesn't mean shit now?

It does.
But not until after 2020 (because of the prop)... as opposed to immediately because of the court.

This is mostly for certain other states that have no rules like the one we passed in MI.

Breaking: democracy died today 55953254
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-27, 11:59

though the gerrymandering ruling is a blow to democracy and those of us who staunchly oppose racism, classism, bigotry, and social/cultural disenfranchisement, it's important to remember that when good people vote, America wins.

in 2018, Democrats flipped 40 (I think that's the right number) seats in the House... some in heavily gerrymandered districts (such as MI-8). Yes, America is a stupid, racist, misogynistic country being ruled by a stupid, racist misogynistic minority.. but there are more of us than there are of them.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-06-27, 12:53

Someone explain this to me like I'm 7 years old.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-27, 12:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Someone explain this to me like I'm 7 years old.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but my simplified take on the census issue -

The census issue basically there's a citizenship question that experts believe will deter a lot of minorities from filling it out which will skew the census data so that they can re-draw a lot of the districts which will keep the Repubs in power for a long time.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-06-27, 13:08

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Someone explain this to me like I'm 7 years old.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but my simplified take on the census issue -

The census issue basically there's a citizenship question that experts believe will deter a lot of minorities from filling it out which will skew the census data so that they can re-draw a lot of the districts which will keep the Repubs in power for a long time.

It will also under report the amount of people living in area's which affects where federal money goes. It could cause larger urban area's or states with higher rates of minorities to not receive as much money from the federal government for programs.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-27, 13:11

2 issues:

1) Census - Trump/Wilbur Ross proposed adding the "Are you legal?" question to the census. They gave a BS reason why. This would scare the shit outta latinos/immigrants in general. (legal or not) Skewing the numbers. By chance the REAL reason was provided to the court which forced them to not override the lower courts that said it was illegal. (real being, political and racial of course.)
https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/ex-aide-census-citizenship-question-was-added-to-keep-off-illegal-immigrants/

2)Gerrymandering - Big issue all over the country. 7-8 states currently have laws taking it out of the politicians hands. A couple states like MI passed referendums/laws to address it. These laws will still take effect. This ruling overturned lower court rulings (for the other 40 states) that political gerrymandering was illegal. So states without any laws can do whatever the F they want with districts to skew the vote in the future. (particularly Maryland and NC in this case.) This will effect house districts and local state govt.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-27, 13:44

AvgMSUJoe wrote:2 issues:

1) Census - Trump/Wilbur Ross proposed adding the "Are you legal?" question to the census. They gave a BS reason why. This would scare the shit outta latinos/immigrants in general. (legal or not) Skewing the numbers. By chance the REAL reason was provided to the court which forced them to not override the lower courts that said it was illegal. (real being, political and racial of course.)
https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/ex-aide-census-citizenship-question-was-added-to-keep-off-illegal-immigrants/

2)Gerrymandering - Big issue all over the country. 7-8 states currently have laws taking it out of the politicians hands. A couple states like MI passed referendums/laws to address it. These laws will still take effect. This ruling overturned lower court rulings (for the other 40 states) that political gerrymandering was illegal. So states without any laws can do whatever the F they want with districts to skew the vote in the future. (particularly Maryland and NC in this case.) This will effect house districts and local state govt.

Also, on gerrymandering... the court stated it was not their place to decide if the law was written as political... this goes against the entire history of the court. First time they turned down ruling on something because they thought it was political and should be taken care of democratically. (setting a NEW shitty precedent, because EVERYTHING is political... Brown v Board of Ed, etc. etc. etc.) This taken with citizens united, et al. essentially allows big money to purchase political favor and keep it through the democratic system.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-27, 13:49

basically, racists are gonna racist.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-27, 13:54

A fan of Mr George Wallace's twitter....

[tw]1144300068154929152[/tw]
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-06-27, 14:56

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

It does.

Or this, which apparently will delay the redistricting to 2022 because...?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/06/27/michigan-gerrymandering-supreme-court-ruling/1581897001/
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-06-27, 15:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

It does.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/06/27/michigan-gerrymandering-supreme-court-ruling/1581897001/

Not entirely sure, but the sense I got is that redrawing for 2020 would have been pursuant to a lawsuit, whereas redrawing for 2022 is pursuant to the ballot initiative. But I could easily have misinterpreted that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-27, 15:59

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

It does.

The law forces the non-partisan board to get er done for the 2022 elections because that is when the next districts will be drawn based on the census taken every decade.

The MI court ruling said... naw fuck that... do it NOW cause Michigan is fucked up.

Supreme court said (not directly since they were ruling on NC and Maryland, but will probably apply to MI) the court ruling is out.

BUT, The law is still in effect. So after the next census the redistricting will be done by this non-partisan board (just so happens it will be for the 2022 elections).
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-06-27, 18:05

Any number of people warned about what could happen with Trump appointing SCOTUS Associate Justices and appointing Federal judges, all to lifetime appointments.

Now we can all live in an 1890’s America in 2020.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-06-27, 21:28

GRR Spartan wrote:Any number of people warned about what could happen with Trump appointing SCOTUS Associate Justices and appointing Federal judges, all to lifetime appointments.

Now we can all live in an 1890’s America in 2020.

Yup, and you could very easily see the house flip back to R control in 2022
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down