Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I fucking hate libertarians

+7
Cameron
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 Empty Re: I fucking hate libertarians

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 22:52

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:In a Libertarian society, where there are no health codes for restaurants nor codes or tests for airplane parts and pilots, I'll be eating in and traveling by foot.

I believe that restaurants and airlines that were responsible for illness and death would do little business, and the market would reward those that maintained healthy and safe standards.

No you don't.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 22:54

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I believe that restaurants and airlines that were responsible for illness and death would do little business, and the market would reward those that maintained healthy and safe standards.

No you don't.

I also believe the state you live in has repressive gun control laws.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 22:55

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

See turtleneck? Your airline example is so dumb because no one can do shit about it. They just gotta deal with their occasional beating.

It was Greenway's example you dumb jizz trumpet.

Still no examples of regulations you'd get rid of...

Here's a gif of turtleneck furiously googling "really stupid regulation examples" right now.

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 Giphy
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 22:56

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

No you don't.

Shhhhhhhh you're ruining the illusion
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 22:58

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:No evidence, just years of watching companies cut corners to maximize profits.

I think think your statement could be improved by adding "because of regulation" at the end. Your assumption is that companies cut corners in a regulated environment so they would cut more corners in a deregulated environment. However, what if regulation was the variable that produces corner cutting? In other words, regulation is costly. When you regulate too much you take away revenue, and firms turn to corner cutting to enhance profits. So, if you deregulate, you grow revenue and decrease incentive to cut corners.

tGreenWay wrote:I wouldn't ever expect to find rat feces in my food, but maybe the owner or chef decides s/he can get just one more day out of that fish or chicken before it goes bad. As for airlines, you have to consider every company that supplies the parts that go into building each plane. Somewhere along the line, somebody, at some point, will decide they can go with a slightly cheaper and lower quality part in order to squeeze some extra cash out of their contract, if for no other reason than simple greed.

There are two things to be said here. First, and consistent with what was stated above, this happens now in an environment of regulation. If it happen now when the variable of regulation is present, maybe the absence of that variable is what can decrease that behavior. Second, and as I have stated above, when this happens and it leads to tragedy, the market will likely punish the greedy behavior.

tGreenWay wrote: I submit it it would get worse due to sloppiness, laziness, or pure greed. I grant you that I t's a cynical view, but it's based on a lifetime of experiences and observations.

What is interesting is that libertarianism does not suggest there is no punishment. It does not say that if a restaurant intentionally cooks spoiled food, or an airline buys cheap accident prone parts that they cannot be held liable in civil courts, and even in criminal courts. The justice system, including the criminal justice system, does not go away.

This is the garbage I'm talking about. As if we're all starting from zero and the almighty market somehow guides us to a better tomorrow. The almighty market incentivizes destroying competition, regardless of value. If we both make widgets and you've got the market cornered, but I make a better one, you're not going to use your market power to beat me down? Of course you will you capitalist ducking pigdog.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:01

Who said there would be no regulations that prevent monopolies? What you suggest sounds like a monopoly, and it was never suggested in this thread that there would be no protections againt monopolies.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:03

The closest thing the world's ever known to a libertarian utopia was America right before the Great Depression. The only time income inequality has ever been higher than it is now. Oh the Randian superman!! How we long for theee!! Crush the parasite beneath your mighty boot of commerce!!!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:04

Turtleneck wrote:Who said there would be no regulations that prevent monopolies? What you suggest sounds like a monopoly, and it was never suggested in this thread that there would be no protections againt monopolies.

You are a sorry excuse for a libertarian if you want laws preventing monopolies.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:05

Turtleneck wrote:Who said there would be no regulations that prevent monopolies? What you suggest sounds like a monopoly, and it was never suggested in this thread that there would be no protections againt monopolies.

Still I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f waiting I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f for I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f those I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f regulations I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f you'd I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f get I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f rid I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f of I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f44f
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:06

Rocinante wrote:

You are a sorry excuse for a libertarian if you want laws preventing monopolies.

I am sure the CATO Institute will be interested in your thoughts.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:06

The airlines were so much worse before deregulation. The banking sector was so much less safe for consumers before reaganomics began dismantling oversight.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:07

You went to a god damn state college for Christ sake.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:09

Rocinante wrote:You went to a god damn state college for Christ sake.

Roc. He's playing contrarian. I sorta noted that. He doesn't believe these things. It's more fun when there's a bad guy. Turtleneck is the bad guy.

A bad one, since his argument makes no sense. But a bad guy nonetheless.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:11

Rocinante wrote:You went to a god damn state college for Christ sake.

Roc. He's playing contrarian. I sorta noted that. He doesn't believe these things. It's more fun when there's a bad guy. Turtleneck is the bad guy.

It does not make sense to a guy wearing statist blinders, but it makes sense to those people who value personal liberty and property rights.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:13

Turtleneck wrote:

It does not make sense to a guy wearing statist blinders, but it makes sense to those people who value personal liberty and property rights.

I'm not going to retype the clapping thing but just trust that I'm retyping it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:14

I know guys. I've known you all (virtually) for a while now.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:16

I identified myself as libertarian for a while in college, before i realized I live in a fucking society and not an apocalyptic dystopia.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:16

Turtleneck wrote:

I do not have to give you a list of individual regulations to know that over regulation is costly, and theoretically can "reduce compliance, discourage innovation, and fuel uncertainty, ultimately making Americans less safe."
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:17

Rocinante wrote:I identified myself as libertarian for a while in college, before i realized I live in a fucking society and not an apocalyptic dystopia.

For those of us living in states with more than 17 people, it is is closer to the dystopia.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:18

Rocinante wrote:I know guys. I've known you all (virtually) for a while now.

We met in person once. I didn't say anything. I thought you would be taller.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:20

Turtleneck wrote:

I do not have to give you a list of individual regulations to know that over regulation is costly, and theoretically can "reduce compliance, discourage innovation, and fuel uncertainty, ultimately making Americans less safe."

I mean you've said that some regulations are okay but some aren't. Assuming you aren't a liar... Maybe even a list of the few that aren't okay and a few that are would be super before you declare them costly and making us less safe.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:20

Theoretically, a lack of regulation could lead to starvation, sickness, crumbling infrastructure, and total economic meltdown. Oh wait, that's not theoretical. That's what FUCKING HAPPENED.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-19, 23:20

AMERICANS love to laugh at ridiculous regulations. A Florida law requires vending-machine labels to urge the public to file a report if the label is not there. The Federal Railroad Administration insists that all trains must be painted with an “F” at the front, so you can tell which end is which. Bureaucratic busybodies in Bethesda, Maryland, have shut down children's lemonade stands because the enterprising young moppets did not have trading licences. The list goes hilariously on.

But red tape in America is no laughing matter. The problem is not the rules that are self-evidently absurd. It is the ones that sound reasonable on their own but impose a huge burden collectively. America is meant to be the home of laissez-faire. Unlike Europeans, whose lives have long been circumscribed by meddling governments and diktats from Brussels, Americans are supposed to be free to choose, for better or for worse. Yet for some time America has been straying from this ideal.

http://www.economist.com/node/21547789
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:26

Turtleneck wrote:
AMERICANS love to laugh at ridiculous regulations. A Florida law requires vending-machine labels to urge the public to file a report if the label is not there. The Federal Railroad Administration insists that all trains must be painted with an “F” at the front, so you can tell which end is which. Bureaucratic busybodies in Bethesda, Maryland, have shut down children's lemonade stands because the enterprising young moppets did not have trading licences. The list goes hilariously on.

But red tape in America is no laughing matter. The problem is not the rules that are self-evidently absurd. It is the ones that sound reasonable on their own but impose a huge burden collectively. America is meant to be the home of laissez-faire. Unlike Europeans, whose lives have long been circumscribed by meddling governments and diktats from Brussels, Americans are supposed to be free to choose, for better or for worse. Yet for some time America has been straying from this ideal.

http://www.economist.com/node/21547789

I read your article. Other than Dodd Frank your article did not provide a single regulation (other than I guess Obamacare which I don't know if I'd include as a regulation but whatever.)

Still.... waiting... for... turtleneck... to... tell... me... which.... regulations... he.... hates....
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-19, 23:28

I guess it makes sense that our substitute conservative poster would be worse than the original at standing out on a totally indefensible position.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-19, 23:42

Oh invisible hand jacking off the Randian superman: guide us to a better world where parasites are crushed and titans of industry are allowed to practice their craft to the betterment of (a little bit of) humanity.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-08-20, 00:07

I think if a company beats the shit out of its consumers then it should be somehow punished by said market however the airline industry has been run over by monopolies and such so ultimately consumers will choose the $15 in savings when they only have 2 choices over the slightly higher risk of being beaten the shit out of, thus no decreased profits thus no decreased market performance thus no change.

If planes dropped out of the sky, yes obviously that would be a problem. I don't think we need to address your obvious being a contrarian in that regard. We know. But apparently beating the hell out of a consumers is not. Which, yeah, financially it wouldn't be (aka "market based" solution.) as long as it's somewhat isolated beatings. Not when there's a lack of choice. Airlines were a really bad example to bring up. You stupid fuck.

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 Lakers_oh_snap

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 Youre_doing_it_wrong
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 00:23

Cameron wrote:

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 Lakers_oh_snap

He hears that from a lot of women, too.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-20, 00:53

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

You lost this thread pages ago. Give it up old man.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 01:16

Turtleneck wrote:

You're in over your head. Once the conversation needs more than an emoji, you're no good and have to go sit on the bench.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-20, 01:27

Turtleneck wrote:

You're in over your head. Once the conversation needs more than an emoji, you're no good and have to go sit on the bench.

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 1f648
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 01:31

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-20, 13:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:That's funny, the older I get the more I feel like one.

Well stop it. Its disgusting.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 13:41

Rocinante wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:That's funny, the older I get the more I feel like one.

Public education...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-20, 14:16

Turtleneck wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Public education...

Your reaching their.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 14:24

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Public education...

Your reaching their.

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 502811600

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 15:53

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-20, 16:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Turtleneck you're in my waters now bitch.

A CEO has one job. Just one.

He's adorable when he's this naive.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-20, 17:00

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I guess it makes sense that our substitute conservative poster would be worse than the original at standing out on a totally indefensible position.

I'll bet he can't even make pie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-20, 17:26

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Turtleneck you're in my waters now bitch.

A CEO has one job. Just one.

He's adorable when he's this naive.

At least I know the difference between Type I and II diabetes. People like you are why Trump won.

I fucking hate libertarians - Page 2 4113017228 I don't know how those two sentences relate, but it looked good when I typed it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next