Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits.

+23
Cosmo_Kramer
J T
Inglewood Jack
SawGreen
EdMartinsLoan
JEK
Robert J Sakimano
Echos Myron
I.B. Fine
Dr. Strangelove
Herbie Green
SpartanGuard
Venice
BH Spartan
Spartan Punk
Floyd Robertson
Son of Sparta
WBill
LoneWolfSparty
MasonGuy
SeeRockCity
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 Empty Re: (renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits.

Post by J T 2014-06-28, 18:59

Rocinante wrote:I'm barely breaking over the decade line with this one, but, I barely remembered this band and wanted to check this record out.  NICE.

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 TCstarfish
I wish I knew what you were looking for.
J T
J T
Spartiate

http://www.planomatic.com

Back to top Go down

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 Empty Re: (renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits.

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-06-29, 22:09

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 Led-Zeppelin-PG
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-10, 11:03

Listening to some Joe Jackson today. Gotta write reports. WOOHOOOOO!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-10, 11:36

EdMartinsLoan wrote:

We've been following Blue Rodeo for ages.  We were in Ireland playing golf and met Jim Cuddy in the streets of some small town I don't even remember the name of.  He processed the restraining order after that.
 (renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 502811600 

Blue Rodeo is good stuff..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-10, 11:41

Tragically Hip is a good call too... They're next.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-10, 16:45

Okay, being a little pop here, but I'm listening to some psychedelic furs now.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-07-11, 19:16

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 821797131919
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-07-11, 20:55

Jazz, anyone?  

Forget the call letters of the Lansing station when I first got to MSU in 77.  The stuff they played (a lot of fusion) was quite different from stations I listened to growing up in metro Detroit...and I liked it.  Still do.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by monklife 2014-07-12, 17:51

I.B. Fine wrote:
Steely Dan, take your pick, Katy Lied, Pretzel Logic

Those are very good.  I suggest…

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 100_4336
monklife
monklife
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-06, 13:32

Listening to Pere Ubu now. Had never heard of them. NICE!

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 Pere%20Ubu%20-%20Final%20Solution%20(single)
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-06, 14:05

Ooooh! Magazine! I forgot about these dudes. Great Album!

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 CS1702098-02A-BIG
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-06, 14:26

My apologies in advance for the book length post, but I love this band and they've recovered to make some great music in the 90's and recently.

Schenker era UFO - the band that should have been huge but was too dysfunctional to endure:

The 5 studio albums with Schenker from the 70's are all good:
Phenomenon
Force It
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out
Obsession

The classic is the live album "Strangers in the Night"
Strangers in the Night peaked at No. 7 on the UK charts and No. 42 on the US charts. Strangers in the Night is often listed by critics and fans as one of the greatest live rock albums of all time. Kerrang! magazine listed the album at No. 47 among the "100 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums of All Time". Slash, former guitarist for Guns N' Roses has stated that this is his favorite live album

One of the top 3 hard rock and rock live recordings, Strangers in the Night is absolute monolith of fine '70s style hard rock music. UFO played a heavier, more metallic and riff-heavy hard rock, offering a chief influence to future metal bands. Michael Schenker's guitar playing is possibly in the greatest shape of his lifetime and the band themselves are on fire during this night in Chicago

Unfortunately, this concert album is often overlooked when discussions of the great live rock albums of the '70s arise. UFO's Strangers in the Night deserves to be right up there with Kiss' Alive! and Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, based on the excitement the group and its audience generate and due to the quality of the hard rock compositions. This is a band at its peak, with its prime lineup (led by German guitar-monger Michael Schenker) and all of its best songs. The group paces itself at the beginning, opting for some lesser material, but begins to hit a stride on the early track "Doctor Doctor." "Mother Mary" and "This Kids" combine all the elements of Led Zeppelin's best rock (concise riffs, mammoth drumming, etc.), while the introduction to "Love to Love" displays the talent of the instrumentalists. "Lights Out" is probably the band's best-known song, while the guitar solo-soaked "Rock Bottom" was an oft-requested fan favorite. UFO closes their set with the let-the-good-times-roll singalong "Too Hot to Handle" and the then-state-of-the-art heavy metal of "Let It Roll." The group may have been at its peak at the time of Strangers in the Night, but Schenker had a falling out with singer Phil Mogg (whose vocals bear a resemblance at times to AC/DC's Bon Scott) soon after the album's completion, and promptly left UFO. Schenker pursued pop-metal in the '80s with the Michael Schenker Group/MSG (plus very short stints with both Aerosmith and the Scorpions), while UFO never recovered from losing him and sank into obscurity. Although the group is rarely mentioned anymore in America, UFO's mark has been left on bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Def Leppard, and the Smashing Pumpkins. A long-lost hard rock classic.

If ever a band was destined for underrated status, that band would have to be UFO. There is no greater proof of that fact than their classic 1978 live album, Strangers in the Night. UFO had quite a run of outstanding studio albums beginning with Phenomenon in 1974 and continuing through Obsession in 1978. Listening to these albums today, it is amazing to think that UFO's legacy didn't hover as highly as that of more touted bands such as Aerosmith, AC/DC and Queen. For a while, it looked as though UFO might break into the mainstream. The 1977 release Lights Out made it into the US Billboard Top Forty charts and was their only LP to do so. Obsession should have consolidated that status, but only charted at #41. Frankly, the album isn't quite as consistent as Lights Out and may have disappointed some fans expecting Lights Out Part II. But Strangers in the Night more than made up for Obsession's shortcomings, although it too would be overlooked by the musical mainstream, peaking at #42. It did, however, climb into the British Top Ten.

Essentially a double live greatest hits album, Strangers in the Night deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Deep Purple's Made in Japan, Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous and The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East. Unlike most live albums of the time, Strangers in the Night rarely launches into lengthy jams. It is the tightness of the performances, the Phil Mogg braggadocio, the unpredictability of loose cannon guitarist Michael Schenker, the powerful drumming of Andy Parker, the hammering bass lines of Pete Way and the crisp production values that elevate the album to classic status.

Recently remastered and expanded by Chrysalis Records, and with a running order that more closely reflects that of the concerts, the album begins with "Hot 'N' Ready" and gradually gets better and better… which is saying a lot because it starts out great! Every studio album with Michael Schenker is represented and many of the best songs from each album are featured and often trump their respective studio counterparts. "Love to Love" for example is free of its string arrangement found on the Lights Out album and becomes a prototypical power ballad, presaging a phenomenon that would continue with younger metal bands throughout the 1980s ad nauseam. You can practically see the audience breaking out the lighters for this one. On "Let It Roll", Andy Parker goes ballistic on the bass drums while rhythm guitarist Paul Raymond doubles on keyboards. The AC/DC like swagger of "Natural Thing" is particularly effective on Strangers in the Night; Phil Mogg's tale of backstage debauchery and the woes of a sexually transmitted disease are that much more palpable in a live environment.

RE: dysfuntion
“The claim that I once shat in Michael Schenker’s shoe and made him put it on is rubbish, although I might have shut his head in the door and then slammed it.”
Phil Mogg of UFO

“He was a force of nature. Most people actually need to be sober at some point in the day, but he didn’t seem to require that. At one gig we were backstage listening to them play and the bass just disappeared – of course he’d fallen off the stage.”
Geddy Lee of Rush remembers touring with UFO during the Pete way era

“When I was doing cocaine regularly I would say it was very much out of boredom - plus the fact that I was addicted.”
UFO’s Pete Way

Sit back and enjoy the band at it's peak - right before it imploded.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-08-06, 14:58

Wasn't a party unless someone flipped on B52's.  Rock Lobster, anyone?
(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 TheB-52%27sTheB-52%27s
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-08-06, 15:08

I.B. Fine wrote:Wasn't a party unless someone flipped on B52's.     Rock Lobster, anyone?
(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 TheB-52%27sTheB-52%27s

Maybe my memory is a bit off, but despite the fact that Rock Lobster was released in 1978, I don't think it really caught on until the fall of 1980.  At least in my circles.  I remember having a having a house party in the fall of 1980, putting on Rock Lobster and 125 people crammed into the living room dancing so hard we thought the floor was going to collapse. Everyone at the party kept asking who the band was. Not knowing didn't stop them from dancing, though..  Good times.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-08-06, 15:10

The Pantry wrote:Jazz, anyone?  

Forget the call letters of the Lansing station when I first got to MSU in 77.  The stuff they played (a lot of fusion) was quite different from stations I listened to growing up in metro Detroit...and I liked it.  Still do.

Freshman in '77? what dorm? You ever listen to Brand X? Phil Collins side project before he went POP!

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-06, 18:11

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 Lament
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-06, 19:07

God DAMN is this a great album.

(renamed) Albums from the 70s and early 80s that are the tits. - Page 2 MWSTWUS2
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-06, 22:02

Echos Myron wrote:Throwing out a few I didn't see...

No. 1 Record / Radio City -- Big Star
Hunky Dory -- David Bowie
Heaven Tonight / In Color -- Cheap Trick
Armed Forces -- Elvis Costello
Marshall Crenshaw -- Marshall Crenshaw
Best of -- Faces
Look Sharp -- Joe Jackson
Jesus of Cool -- Nick Lowe
Lust for Life -- Iggy Pop
Pretenders -- Pretenders
Siren -- Roxy Music
Underwater Moonlight -- Soft Boys
More Songs About Buildings and Food / Remain in Light -- Talking Heads
Jail Break -- Thin Lizzy
Damn the Torpedos -- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Black Sea -- XTC
Fragile -- Yes

Can't believe it took this long for the Pretenders to get some love. Damn.

Tough crowd.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-06, 22:04

EdMartinsLoan wrote:Joe Jackson - Look Sharp

I still think this album would be a hit if it was only released today.

And Joe Jackson. Damn, I loved that album.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-06, 22:21

I.B. Fine wrote:

Freshman in '77? what dorm? You ever listen to Brand X? Phil Collins side project before he went POP!

May have heard it but don't recall.

5 East Wilson. Our half of the floor (south side) got booted to make it coed in 78. Many of us moved to 5 West for 78
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2