Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

+26
SawGreen
StylesGShmooth
Watch Out Pylon!
MSU addict
Jake from State Farm
aualum06
MiamiSpartan
Space Lord
Tim Wakefield
Herbie Green
MattyFresh
WhiteBoyHatcher
Frank Ricard
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
Nordic
steveschneider
InTenSity
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
30 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 9 Empty Re: NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-05, 21:01

Uh the only reason why it’s “wire fraud” is because college b-ball denies players the rights to make money. The real fraud is the ncaa. .
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 9 Empty Re: NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

Post by Nordic 2019-03-05, 21:05

steveschneider wrote:Uh the only reason why it’s “wire fraud” is because college b-ball denies players the rights to make money. The real fraud is the ncaa. .

Mic drop
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-03-05, 21:09

Steve, I need you to immediately reverse your position so that I can disagree with you.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-05, 21:13

Cameron wrote:Steve, I need you to immediately reverse your position so that I can disagree with you.

How about this, we should build more prisons in America so we can lock up anyone that cheats in college sports.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-05, 22:51

StylesGShmooth wrote:Did WorldWide Wes get busted for something.  Keep seeing his name come up and as far as I know he hasn't been mentioned in the corruption trials at all.  Not saying he's clean.  I just haven't heard him mentioned in this.

WWW has not been busted for anything. I do, however, think he is an opportunistic scumbag. A very rich man's Ed Martin.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-05, 22:59

steveschneider wrote:Uh the only reason why it’s “wire fraud” is because college b-ball denies players the rights to make money. The real fraud is the ncaa. .

Ok let's open this can of worms. How do you pay them and who gets what? Does Jack Hoiberg get the same $ as Cassius Wintson? Does the girl on the rowing team make anything?

I get where you are going with this Steve but damn this is much more complicated than just saying the NCAA needs to pay athletes.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-06, 06:56

duffy munn wrote:

Ok let's open this can of worms. How do you pay them and who gets what? Does Jack Hoiberg get the same $ as Cassius Wintson? Does the girl on the rowing team make anything?

I get where you are going with this Steve but damn this is much more complicated than just saying the NCAA needs to pay athletes.

These kids are getting paid, education, medical, training, exposure. Go to Europe if it's not good enough for you or talk to the NBA about their crap rule
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 06:58

duffy munn wrote:

It’s pretty easy let the free market decide. A good start would have been to let those families keep the shoe money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-06, 08:01

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

It’s pretty easy let the free market decide. A good start would have been to let those families keep the shoe money.

I still don't get how this will work. So do the players hire agents to negotiate with the NCAA? Do they get 4 year contracts or just one year deals? What if a kid is a stud in high school and signs a 4 year deal and it turns out he sucks? Can the NCAA terminate the contract?What if a kid signs a low end contract and turns out to be a star? Will he hold out for a better deal or just become a free agent?

I understand your premise Steve and don't necessarily disagree but it's not as easy as just pay the players.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-03-06, 08:31

I don't necessarily think you have to pay them a salary. Just allow them to make money marketing themselves. The market will decide how much Winston and Hoiberg make.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-06, 08:37

kingstonlake wrote:I don't necessarily think you have to pay them a salary. Just allow them to make money marketing themselves. The market will decide how much Winston and Hoiberg make.

Makes sense which is why the NCAA will never allow it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 08:56

kingstonlake wrote:I don't necessarily think you have to pay them a salary. Just allow them to make money marketing themselves. The market will decide how much Winston and Hoiberg make.

Agree 100%. And next time a shoe company wants to do business with an 18 yr old let it happen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 09:02

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I still don't get how this will work. So do the players hire agents to negotiate with the NCAA? Do they get 4 year contracts or just one year deals? What if a kid is a stud in high school and signs a 4 year deal and it turns out he sucks? Can the NCAA terminate the contract?What if a kid signs a low end contract and turns out to be a star? Will he hold out for a better deal or just become a free agent?

I understand your premise Steve and don't necessarily disagree but it's not as easy as just pay the players.

Aren’t college hockey players are allowed to get agents? I don’t follow that sport but some one educate me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 09:06

aualum06 wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

These kids are getting paid, education, medical, training, exposure. Go to Europe if it's not good enough for you or talk to the NBA about their crap rule

Letting 18yr olds back into the nba is a good thing. I still don’t understand how my fellow Americans are pro denying some one the right to earn money while playing sports in college. I do think race plays a part.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-06, 11:52

aualum06 wrote:

The training and exposure aspect is one that is overlooked. You go to college to get trained, whether it is for accounting or hoops. That said, this line of thinking has proven not to work. The system is broke...hell it was never unbroke.  Throwing coaches is jail for wire fraud or whatever else you want to stick on them is just stupid. Fix the system so we don't have this conversation.

Last edited by Nordic on 2019-03-06, 12:39; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-06, 12:37

steveschneider wrote:

Agree 100%. And next time a shoe company wants to do business with an 18 yr old let it happen.

This is going down the right path. But there are still flaws with this. Let's say Nike signs all the 5*  to $1M endorsement deals. They are going to want those kids going to Blue Blood programs where they are going to get the most exposure. Likewise Duke, UNC, Alabama etc. will be able to promote to recruits that they can get them better endorsement deals. They are going to influence the decision making process.  How many 'endorsement coaches' will Saban have on his staff?

I'm all for letting these kids make money above board and taking it from the street agents and backroom deals. But things like this would need to be worked out.

steveschneider wrote:
Letting 18yr olds back into the nba is a good thing. I still don’t understand how my fellow Americans are pro denying some one the right to earn money while playing sports in college. I do think race plays a part.

Fully on board. But it is the NBA and NFL that are setting these rules, not the NCAA.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 13:03

Nordic wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

The training and exposure aspect is one that is overlooked. You go to college to get trained, whether it is for accounting or hoops. That said, this line of thinking has proven not to work. The system is broke...hell it was never unbroke.  Throwing coaches is jail for wire fraud or whatever else you want to stick on them is just stupid. Fix the system so we don't have this conversation.

Also, that line of reasoning about exposure is a two way street. The biggest reason I fell in love with MSU at an early age and ended up going there is because of Magic Johnson. It wasn't the block S, the Sparty statue, the school colors or the fight song. These athletes give the school so much exposure, get the brand in the sports pages, on ESPN Sports Center, first take etc. It's an amazing marketing tool for the universities.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-06, 13:16

Nordic wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This is going down the right path. But there are still flaws with this. Let's say Nike signs all the 5*  to $1M endorsement deals. They are going to want those kids going to Blue Blood programs where they are going to get the most exposure. Likewise Duke, UNC, Alabama etc. will be able to promote to recruits that they can get them better endorsement deals. They are going to influence the decision making process.  How many 'endorsement coaches' will Saban have on his staff?

I'm all for letting these kids make money above board and taking it from the street agents and backroom deals. But things like this would need to be worked out.

steveschneider wrote:

Fully on board. But it is the NBA and NFL that are setting these rules, not the NCAA.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be stuff that will need to be sorted out. But on the other hand as long as I've lived there's always been teams that have had competitive advantages with recruiting or free agency. I don't think that will ever change.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-03-06, 13:17

So if we allow players to make money, Duke will have a recruiting advantage? That's the argument against?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-09, 06:49

Should they start locking up coaches as well? How about the parents and kids that take the money?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26198799/gottfried-directly-linked-payments
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-09, 08:10

steveschneider wrote:Should they start locking up coaches as well? How about the parents and kids that take the money?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26198799/gottfried-directly-linked-payments

Yes if they are doing illegal things that bring jail time
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-09, 09:29

aualum06 wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Should they start locking up coaches as well? How about the parents and kids that take the money?

Every one says this until it’s their school that gets busted and then the fans go on the defense.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-09, 09:46

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure there will be stuff that will need to be sorted out. But on the other hand as long as I've lived there's always been teams that have had competitive advantages with recruiting or free agency. I don't think that will ever change.

It will never change. But it could make it worse. Probably more so in football than basketball where there are more scholarships at play. An easy solution would be to reduce scholarship #s (which I think needs to be done anyway or at least make them count even if a kid leaves the team like the NFL salary cap).

But if done above board it could also find it's equilibrium. Shoe companies only have so much $$ to give out and if they are spreading it around more kids it might not matter.

I'm all for it. This is America. Let free market dictate. Throwing coaches in jail for whatever dumbass charge you want to manufacture over college hoops is idiotic.

Last edited by Nordic on 2019-03-09, 09:46; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-09, 09:46

steveschneider wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Every one says this until it’s their school that gets busted and then the fans go on the defense.

There is to much money for the NCAA to bother cleaning it up. We will see how the NBA modifies their one year out of high school rule and if the straight to the league from high school takes off
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-09, 09:47

Nordic wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

It will never change. But it could make it worse. Probably more so in football than basketball where there are more scholarships at play. An easy solution would be to reduce scholarship #s (which I think needs to be done anyway or at least make them count even if a kid leaves the team like the NFL salary cap).

But if done above board it could also find it's equilibrium. Shoe companies only have so much $$ to give out and if they are spreading it around more kids it might not matter.

I'm all for it. This is America. Let free market dictate. Throwing coaches in jail for whatever dumbass charge you want to manufacture over college hoops is idiotic.

So you want to get rid of college athletics, cool
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-09, 11:27

aualum06 wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Nope. But let's get rid of this false Utopia of amerturism.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-09, 11:45

Nordic wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Nope. But let's get rid of this false Utopia of amerturism.

Or let's get back to amerturism
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-04-19, 17:22

Will Wade and Sean Miller won't testify apparently and their wire taps won't be heard
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-04-20, 15:16

because of course not.  They should just release the wire taps anyway.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-05-01, 15:09

Izzo gives the bag men a big FUCK YOU
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-05-01, 15:18

DWags wrote:Izzo gives the bag men a big FUCK YOU

Fake news.
- Purdue fans
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-05-01, 17:22

I'd like to see the NBA upgrade the D League salary structure and improve the trainer infrastructre to more closely resemble at least a D2 school.

I would also like an option to go to or stay in college and be eligible to be re-enter the draft after your sophomore season.

If an NBA team think's you are the real deal, they draft you, give you a signing bonus based on their pay scale for rookies and you go to the D-League.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-10, 20:00

Coach K knew about none of this...but Elizabeth City State University is suspending all athletics to get ahead of the NCAA.

[tw]1259534474049662982?s=21[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-10, 20:12

He would never even consider it, but damn, I wish TI would write a tell all book after he retires. A publisher wouldn’t pay him a shit-ton of money, they’d fork over at least two shit-tons of money and probably more if he would pull back the curtain and expose the truth about basketball recruiting. I’d buy two copies of that book in hardcover, paid in advance, and I’m a cheapskate.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-10, 21:53

tGreenWay wrote:He would never even consider it, but damn, I wish TI would write a tell all book after he retires. A publisher wouldn’t pay him a shit-ton of money, they’d fork over at least two shit-tons of money and probably more if he would pull back the curtain and expose the truth about basketball recruiting. I’d buy two copies of that book in hardcover, paid in advance, and I’m a cheapskate can’t read.

FIFY NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 9 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-10, 22:16

He pays Bob to read to him, and Bob gives the money to OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-05-10, 22:19

tGreenWay wrote:He would never even consider it, but damn, I wish TI would write a tell all book after he retires. A publisher wouldn’t pay him a shit-ton of money, they’d fork over at least two shit-tons of money and probably more if he would pull back the curtain and expose the truth about basketball recruiting. I’d buy two copies of that book in hardcover, paid in advance, and I’m a cheapskate.

I've been saying the exact same thing for years. Izzo could blow the whole thing up but you know he won't do it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-05-10, 22:43

Turtleneck wrote:He pays Bob to read to him, and Bob gives the money to OTPT.

I didn’t realize izzo was so cheap.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-11, 09:25

Duke cheats? No way not Coach K. Never!

Also, does this mean we all owe an apology to Avennati?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-11, 19:25

steveschneider wrote:Duke cheats? No way not Coach K. Never!

Also, does this mean we all owe an apology to Avennati?

Um, no. That guy is a slime ball.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next