Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions?

+11
WhiteBoyHatcher
Dr. Strangelove
kingstonlake
DWags
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
y2kMgrad
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
Turtleneck
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions? Empty Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions?

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 12:41

Obviously MSU, OSU, PSU, and Harbaugh & Birkenstock Institute are together in the East. The West is nowhere even close to be being as balanced as the East. Do you think the West will achieve the kind of annual balance we have seen in the East?

Right now the top four teams in the East are a combined 22-3 (12-1). The top four teams in the West are 16-9 (7-6), and only Wisconsin is above .500 in conference play. Last season the East had three teams with 10 or more wins and no more than three losses on the year. Two of those teams finished with only one loss in conference, and the third with two losses. Subtract MSU's anomaly of a season, and maybe that number is four teams. In the West, only one team finished with 10 or more wins and less than four losses, and that team was also the only team in the West with less than three conferences losses. 2015 was fairly balanced with Iowa, NW, and Nebraska competing for the West division title. But in 2014, MSU and OSU battled for the East, while the West was a one team show.

NW and Iowa are good programs, but not consistent. Nebraska appears to be trending downward. If you get an annual imbalance, where one divisions is so much stronger than the other, it seems like the Big 10 will have to re-align again. It just can't be Wisconson versus the East champion every year.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2017-10-15, 12:45; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions? Empty Re: Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions?

Post by aualum06 2017-10-15, 12:43

I like geography based. You never know how things will look in 10 years so keep it consistent
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions? Empty Re: Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 13:00

Turtleneck I think the divisions should be auto rebalanced every 2-4 years. Rank teams by total record since the last rebalancing, then put #1 in one division, #2 in the other, etc etc. it'll never happen on account of Michigan and Ohio state freaking out about the potential for losing their end of the season circle jerk fest but I think it would be the best way to handle it if it were even reasonably possible.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-15, 13:14

I miss the Leaders and Legends.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 13:16

LooseGoose wrote:I miss the Leaders and Legends.

No you don't.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 13:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Turtleneck I think the divisions should be auto rebalanced every 2-4 years. Rank teams by total record since the last rebalancing, then put #1 in one division,  #2 in the other, etc etc. it'll never happen on account of Michigan and Ohio state freaking out about the potential for losing their end of the season circle jerk fest but I think it would be the best way to handle it if it were even reasonably possible.

I actually like that idea, but maybe every four years instead of two. I think you can have permanent matchups built into that method, so those two schools could keep their precious game. I can't blame them too much. How would you feel if the Big 10 said no more MSU v. Indiana every year?

So I played around with North and South using Lincoln as the dividing line. The geography is not not perfect. For example, West Lafayette is further south than Lincoln. However, overall, I do not think it would be much better. South: Nebraska, OSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Indiana, Illinois. North: Wisconsin, Minnesota, MSU, UM, NW, Iowa, Purdue.

Travis, what about relegation with the MAC? What do you think about that?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 13:37

I don't really like relegation very much, in any sport (it works for Europe but there are issues.) It's a system that gives financial incentives to just be mediocre. Take the tigers for instance- blowing it up and starting over like they're doing isn't an option with relegation. They'd have to keep plugging away with aging stars just floating around the middle of the league.

For me geography isn't a great way to do it anymore especially when we're working with Nebraska and Maryland in the same conference. At a certain point the distances become basically irrelevant right?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-10-15, 14:08

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't really like relegation very much, in any sport (it works for Europe but there are issues.) It's a system that gives financial incentives to just be mediocre. Take the tigers for instance- blowing it up and starting over like they're doing isn't an option with relegation. They'd have to keep plugging away with aging stars just floating around the middle of the league.

For me geography isn't a great way to do it anymore especially when we're working with Nebraska and Maryland in the same conference. At a certain point the distances become basically irrelevant right?

I.don't know what any of thia means.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 14:10

Nordic wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't really like relegation very much, in any sport (it works for Europe but there are issues.) It's a system that gives financial incentives to just be mediocre. Take the tigers for instance- blowing it up and starting over like they're doing isn't an option with relegation. They'd have to keep plugging away with aging stars just floating around the middle of the league.

Relegation is when the bottom teams in a league go to a lower league and then the top teams from the lower league get promoted to the big boy league Nordic. Typically there are massive financial differences between being in the best league and not being in it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-15, 14:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Relegation is when the bottom teams in a league go to a lower league and then the top teams from the lower league get promoted to the big boy league Nordic. Typically there are massive financial differences between being in the best league and not being in it.

That's no reason for you to lecture Nordy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 14:19

LooseGoose wrote:

That's no reason for you to lecture Nordy.

I'm just trying to help
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-10-15, 14:25

Yes. The West is a joke. Wisky could play their backups and still win that division every year. What the hell happened to Nebraska?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-15, 14:34

y2kMgrad wrote:Yes. The West is a joke. Wisky could play their backups and still win that division every year. What the hell happened to Nebraska?

They fired Frank Solich.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 15:07

LooseGoose wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:Yes. The West is a joke. Wisky could play their backups and still win that division every year. What the hell happened to Nebraska?

They fired Frank Solich.

This
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-10-15, 16:03

Rather than relying on feelings, let's take an objective empirical approach to this topic.
Here is a link to overall records for Big Ten teams from 2014-2016 (the period that the current divisions have been in place).

1. E OSU
2. W UW
3. W Iowa
4. E MSU
5. E Mich
6. E PSU
7. W Neb
8. W Minn
9. W NW
10. E Mary
11. E IU
12. E Rut
13. W ILL
14. W PU

[size=32]http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=2014&end=2016&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct[/size]
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 16:23

Herbie Green wrote:Rather than relying on feelings, let's take an objective empirical approach to this topic.
Here is a link to overall records for Big Ten teams from 2014-2016 (the period that the current divisions have been in place).

1. E OSU
2. W UW
3. W Iowa
4. E MSU
5. E Mich
6. E PSU
7. W Neb
8. W Minn
9. W NW
10. E Mary
11. E IU
12. E Rut
13. W ILL
14. W PU

[size=32]http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=2014&end=2016&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct[/size]

Turtleneck wrote:

Right now the top four teams in the East are a combined 22-3 (12-1). The top four teams in the West are 16-9 (7-6), and only Wisconsin is above .500 in conference play. Last season the East had three teams with 10 or more wins and no more than three losses on the year. Two of those teams finished with only one loss in conference, and the third with two losses. Subtract MSU's anomaly of a season, and maybe that number is four teams. In the West, only one team finished with 10 or more wins and less than four losses, and that team was also the only team in the West with less than three conferences losses. 2015 was fairly balanced with Iowa, NW, and Nebraska competing for the West division title. But in 2014, MSU and OSU battled for the East, while the West was a one team show.

I see you found new words and were anxious use them on your preferred Internet sports message board. An alternative approach might have been reading the first post in the thread before posting.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 16:27

Hair style and visible body art should be what determines B1G divisions. Teams with tatted-up, Trump-mulleted players on one side. Teams with clean cut players who look like you'd want to be friends with IRL on the other.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-15, 16:33

tGreenWay wrote:Hair style and visible body art should be what determines B1G divisions. Teams with tatted-up, Trump-mulleted players on one side. Teams with clean cut players who look like you'd want to be friends with IRL on the other.

Do you think the Big 10 needs to re-evaluate the divisions? 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-15, 16:34

I still say Farmers vs Engineers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-10-15, 16:46

Turtleneck wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Rather than relying on feelings, let's take an objective empirical approach to this topic.

1. E OSU
2. W UW
3. W Iowa
4. E MSU
5. E Mich
6. E PSU
7. W Neb
8. W Minn
9. W NW
10. E Mary
11. E IU
12. E Rut
13. W ILL
14. W PU

Turtleneck wrote:

I see you found new words and were anxious use them on your preferred Internet sports message board. An alternative approach might have been reading the first post in the thread before posting.

So rather than using the complete data that directly corresponds to the time period of the divisions I should cherry pick data points like half way through seasons and then throw out any data I don't like as "anomolies" to draw whatever conclusion I want?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 16:50

DWags wrote:I still say Farmers vs Engineers.

We can kind of do this. We could go land grant versus...I don't know...we would have to be a bit creative with land grant status.

Land grant division: Minnesota, MSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, PSU, Illinois, Purdue

Other division: Indiana, NW, UM, Iowa, Maryland*, OSU*, Rutgers**

* Maryland and OSU are land grant schools, but Maryland Eastern Shore and Central State (OH) also have land grant status. So we can move Maryland and OSU to the other division since they are not the only schools in their states with land grant status.

** NJIT is a sea grant school. While not a land grant, we will move Rutgers to the other division since another school in NJ has public grant status.

I think those divisions suck, DWags.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2017-10-15, 16:54; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 16:53

Herbie Green wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

So rather than using the complete data that directly corresponds to the time period of the divisions I should cherry pick data points like half way through seasons and then throw out any data I don't like as "anomolies" to draw whatever conclusion I want?

With the exception of my comment about MSU, none of what you said is consistent with my post. You make Blanck look like Einstein.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-10-15, 16:55

Put Scum and OSU in a two team division since they seem to think they're the only schools that matter. Let them play each other 8 times. The rest of us will set up a couple divisions.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 16:56

kingstonlake wrote:Put Scum and OSU in a two team division since they seem to think they're the only schools that matter. Let them play each other 8 times. The rest of us will set up a couple divisions.

Haha. They will be at the kid's table while the rest of the conference argues about politics and religion at the adult's table. Makes sense.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 17:00

DWags wrote:I still say Farmers vs Engineers.

Bohats vs. Ohats.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-10-15, 17:06

I think we should relegate the last place school to the MAC
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-15, 17:09

kingstonlake wrote:Put Scum and OSU in a two team division since they seem to think they're the only schools that matter. Let them play each other 8 times. The rest of us will set up a couple divisions.

Don't like this. OSU would go undefeated every year and take the conference's playoff spot.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 17:09

Any way, Travis is right about geography. It does not matter. Go back to the 2013 alignment and split Rutgers and Maryland.

Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Michigan
Northwestern
Maryland

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Rutgers
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 17:12

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I think we should relegate the last place school to the MAC

Interesting. It opens up the possibility of a different team rotating out of the B1G and into the MAC each year, or, more likely, Rutgers every year. I like it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 17:14

tGreenWay wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I think we should relegate the last place school to the MAC

Interesting. It opens up the possibility of a different team rotating out of the B1G and into the MAC each year, or, more likely, Rutgers every year. I like it.

It was already suggested in post #6...and Travis had a fit about it...so we are not doing it because his tantrums are terrible and it is easier just to appease him. We went off on Nordic. It was crazy.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2017-10-15, 17:15; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 17:14

Turtleneck wrote:Any way, Travis is right about geography. It does not matter. Go back to the 2013 alignment and split Rutgers and Maryland.

Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Maryland
Northwestern
Michigan

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Rutgers

Fixed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 17:15

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It was already suggested...and Travis had a fit about it...so we are not doing it because his tantrums are terrible and it is easier just to appease him.

Sorry, I missed it before because I try not to read Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-10-15, 17:39

1. E OSU
2. W UW
3. W Iowa
4. E MSU
5. E Mich
6. E PSU
7. W Neb
8. W Minn
9. W NW
10. E Mary
11. E IU
12. E Rut
13. W ILL
14. W PU

So allow me to explain these results.  if you added up the ranks you have 49 in the East and 56 in the West or averages of 7.0 and 8.0 respectively.  To get as close to even (7.5) as possible you could do a swap of an East team with a West team 3 or 4 spots behind.  

....or one might conclude that it is such a small time period and the results are so close that it would not be prudent to restructure the divisions and do away with a sensible geographic approach at this time.

Or a liberal arts major might conclude I am an idiot.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 17:45

Herbie Green wrote:

1. E OSU
2. W UW
3. W Iowa
4. E MSU
5. E Mich
6. E PSU
7. W Neb
8. W Minn
9. W NW
10. E Mary
11. E IU
12. E Rut
13. W ILL
14. W PU

So allow me to explain these results.  if you added up the ranks you have 49 in the East and 56 in the West or averages of 7.0 and 8.0 respectively.  To get as close to even (7.5) as possible you could do a swap of an East team with a West team 3 or 4 spots behind.  

....or one might conclude that it is such a small time period and the results are so close that it would not be prudent to restructure the divisions and do away with a sensible geographic approach at this time.

Everybody concludes that, Herbie. Everybody.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 17:48

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It was already suggested in post #6...and Travis had a fit about it...so we are not doing it because his tantrums are terrible and it is easier just to appease him. We went off on Nordic. It was crazy.

I'm just sayin. It sounds great until you watch it actively in practice. Then it isn't as great. Especially from the perspective of a team in the top division. Where is our incentive to want something like that? Bonkers.

It'll never happen anyway on account of money and all that. We don't have Rutgers for funsies
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 18:01

Turtleneck wrote:

I'm just sayin. It sounds great until you watch it actively in practice. Then it isn't as great. Especially from the perspective of a team in the top division. Where is our incentive to want something like that? Bonkers.

It'll never happen anyway on account of money and all that. We don't have Rutgers for funsies

Do you think if the US had relegation between, say, the USL and MLS it would create more interest in kickball? We do not have an MLS team. The local USL team won the US Open Cup in 1999, and the USL in 2015. They have a 13-14k seat stadium, but not too many people go to the games. Maybe it would generate a little more buzz.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-15, 18:03

Turtleneck wrote:

Do you think if the US had relegation between, say, the USL and MLS it would create more interest in kickball? We do not have an MLS team. The local USL team won the US Open Cup in 1999, and the USL in 2015. They have a 13-14k seat stadium, but not too many people go to the games. Maybe it would generate a little more buzz.

I do not. No. I do not like relegation in general.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-10-15, 18:06

Turtleneck wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Sorry, but I am not impressed with "everybody".  Do they all have advanced degrees in math or stats and 20+ years in a related field?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-15, 18:06

Turtleneck wrote:

Then it shouldn't be a problem. Most of us only watch the actual games. Practice can be enlightening, but frequently boring.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-15, 18:13

Herbie Green wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Sorry, but I am not impressed with "everybody".  Do they all have advanced degrees in math or stats and 20+ years in a related field?

Well, if you have "advanced degrees" in math and "20+ years" experience...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next