Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions?

4 posters

Go down

What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions? Empty What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions?

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-01, 10:43

Three teams most helped
1. Michigan State Spartans
Does this one really need to be explained? Michigan State was clearly the second-best team in the conference last season and would've played Ohio State in a coveted rematch in the Big Ten title game ... if there were no divisions. Alas, the Spartans were instead forced to watch on TV as OSU decimated Wisconsin 59-0. They could find themselves in a similar position this season -- or could put the Badgers in that unenviable position. Having no divisions almost guarantees more B1G championship appearances for Michigan State.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110443/eliminating-divisions-how-would-the-big-ten-fare
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions? Empty Re: What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions?

Post by HT 2015-05-02, 00:02

The blog nailed it about Wisconsin. They have a cakewalk to the division title since Barry got his way with us not being in the West. Like ESPN said, they have only beaten OSU/MSU once in the last four combined meetings. They are the conference's paper tiger and Barry Alvarez has got them protected from the real B1G power teams for the foreseeable future. They also are lucky that their biggest threat is a mess right now and has a new coach.

But as for us, when the divisions were released...I first thought MSU got the shaft. I didn't think we'd have the firepower to compete with OSU, UM, and PSU. We were coming off of 2012, and it was a mess.

Then 2013 happened. When we beat OSU, and later Stanford, it just seemed like the program suddenly got elevated to a new level. Higher-rated recruits started being really interested in MSU. We were plucking players in Ohio that Meyer wanted. Donations were pouring in so we could keep up in the arms race. Suddenly, MSU was the place to be and we had the tools to keep up with the others.

Now, I love being in the East. Meyer-Dantonio is shaping up to be the conference's new premier coaching rivalry (and those two genuinely dislike each other, unlike Woody and Bo, and not to mention Dantonio's grudge against OSU for how they scapegoated Tressel). We're being featured in more night games than ever. Kids in fertile recruiting grounds are looking at us harder, and talent overall seems to be really accumulating in the East compared to the West.

This is the division to be in. The media is really hyping up the new B1G East, and it's quickly becoming the place to be in college football. Massive media markets, high-profile coaches, the best talent in the league. Being in the East is going to be what elevates MSU to that next level, while holding back Wisconsin from making that same jump and keeping Nebraska from really finding its old glory.

And if you don't believe me...look at the athletes we're getting. MSU and Wisconsin used to be getting around the same classes (with us doing slightly better) and we were regarded as similar programs. Now, MSU is getting an entirely different caliber of athlete and we're being mentioned and promoted at a level Wisconsin never achieved when they went to 3 straight Rose Bowls. I really believe that being put in the East, despite MSU wanting to be in the West, is a blessing in disguise now.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions? Empty Re: What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions?

Post by Heat Miser 2015-05-02, 00:05

HT wrote:The blog nailed it about Wisconsin. They have a cakewalk to the division title since Barry got his way with us not being in the West. Like ESPN said, they have only beaten OSU/MSU once in the last four combined meetings. They are the conference's paper tiger and Barry Alvarez has got them protected from the real B1G power teams for the foreseeable future. They also are lucky that their biggest threat is a mess right now and has a new coach.

But as for us, when the divisions were released...I first thought MSU got the shaft. I didn't think we'd have the firepower to compete with OSU, UM, and PSU. We were coming off of 2012, and it was a mess.

Then 2013 happened. When we beat OSU, and later Stanford, it just seemed like the program suddenly got elevated to a new level. Higher-rated recruits started being really interested in MSU. We were plucking players in Ohio that Meyer wanted. Donations were pouring in so we could keep up in the arms race. Suddenly, MSU was the place to be and we had the tools to keep up with the others.

Now, I love being in the East. Meyer-Dantonio is shaping up to be the conference's new premier coaching rivalry (and those two genuinely dislike each other, unlike Woody and Bo, and not to mention Dantonio's grudge against OSU for how they scapegoated Tressel). We're being featured in more night games than ever. Kids in fertile recruiting grounds are looking at us harder, and talent overall seems to be really accumulating in the East compared to the West.

This is the division to be in. The media is really hyping up the new B1G East, and it's quickly becoming the place to be in college football. Massive media markets, high-profile coaches, the best talent in the league. Being in the East is going to be what elevates MSU to that next level, while holding back Wisconsin from making that same jump and keeping Nebraska from really finding its old glory.

And if you don't believe me...look at the athletes we're getting. MSU and Wisconsin used to be getting around the same classes (with us doing slightly better) and we were regarded as similar programs. Now, MSU is getting an entirely different caliber of athlete and we're being mentioned and promoted at a level Wisconsin never achieved when they went to 3 straight Rose Bowls. I really believe that being put in the East, despite MSU wanting to be in the West, is a blessing in disguise now.

What Would the Big Ten Look Like Without Divisions? 328670334 Blessing in the skies.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-05-02, 00:13

Football, it would look like this:

1a)OSU
1b) MSU

2-14)Irrelevant

Sorry, just being honest
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down