Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad

+8
tGreenWay
I.B. Fine
Clarett's Folly
Other Teams Pursuing That
y2kMgrad
DWags
duffy munn
NigelUno
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 10:21

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I doubt Jr. was negotiating payments.

Yeah but to think he didn't know about them is crazy.

I imagine to conversation went a little like this:

Dad: you're going to Louisville

Jr: Why? I've never even been there or met Rick Pitino

Dad: minor details, you're going

Jr: Ok

It would be smart to keep the kid out of it. I don't think it's inconceivable that he didn't know about the payments.

It's why Izzo doesn't deal with handlers. They handle all that stuff and keep the kids out of it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 11:58

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Come on Dwags. Louisville wasn't even on this kids radar and suddenly he signs with them. If the NCAA or Louisville lets him play, the message is pretty clear.

Cheating is ok ( not that the NCAA has done much about it in the past). I guess the fans are now good with it too.

I'm not.

When a kid can game a corrupt billion dollar industry for 100k I say good for the kid. Looks like the NCAA got a taste of their own medicine. There's things beyond the playing field or the court that matter more.

Corruption begets corruption. Yay.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 12:21

The NCAA can make billions, millions whatever the fuck it is off student athletes killing themselves on a football field, but a kid gets a piece of the pie for once and everyone turns on the kids. Makes sense!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-11-03, 12:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The NCAA can make billions, millions whatever the fuck it is off student athletes killing themselves on a football field, but a kid gets a piece of the pie for once and everyone turns on the kids. Makes sense!

It's not necessarily about that. It's like I tell my wife "I don't care if you are sleeping with other people, just let me know so I can do it too."
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 12:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The NCAA can make billions, millions whatever the fuck it is off student athletes killing themselves on a football field, but a kid gets a piece of the pie for once and everyone turns on the kids. Makes sense!

Yep, NCAA has no problem taking $$$ from the official ladder of the NCAA, or Coke the official beverage of the tournament, or Dove Mens Care the official deodorant of the NCAA but god forbid a family takes $100K.

This is a good lesson for everyone, the world is corrupt and college sports isn't some idylic land of purity. It's full of cheats, crooks, greedy pigs, cash, prostitutes, strippers and oh yeah an "education".
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 12:41

If you guys want pure college sports free of corruption there's always the Ivy League conference. It looks just like the WNBA style of play but with men.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-03, 12:55

steveschneider wrote:If you guys want pure college sports free of corruption there's always the Ivy League conference. It looks just like the WNBA style of play but with men.

I thought Tommy Amaker was bringing a bit of Duke/Michigan with him there. Bending some rules.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 13:05

Clarett's Folly wrote:

It's not necessarily about that. It's like I tell my wife "I don't care if you are sleeping with other people, just let me know so I can do it too."

Better start writing some letters to dantonio and Izzo to start getting dirty. Izzo has already been caught being a little dirty, but whatever. Not enough.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 13:08

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:If you guys want pure college sports free of corruption there's always the Ivy League conference. It looks just like the WNBA style of play but with men.

I thought Tommy Amaker was bringing a bit of Duke/Michigan with him there. Bending some rules.

Oh yeah, that’s right. I think the school cracked down on that though. His team sucked last year and I watched the end of the championship game last year Princeton vs Yale. It was brutal to watch.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 13:25

I think college athletes should get paid. But they don't.

I think weed should be legal everywhere. But it isn't.

So, To simply ignore these two things without any reprecussions doesn't make sense to me.

Like when the pro athletes and their fans whine because they get suspended over weed ( see Bell, Le'Veon).

Or fans whine because Brian Bowen got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

The rules may suck but they are still the rules. To blatantly break them thinking it's ok is as dumb as the rules themselves.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 13:28

duffy munn wrote:

So, To simply ignore these two things without any reprecussions doesn't make sense to me.

Like when the pro athletes and their fans whine because they get suspended over weed ( see Bell, Le'Veon).

The rules may suck but they are still the rules. To blatantly break them thinking it's ok is as dumb as the rules themselves.

If we are talking about the rules then we have to accept that the rules have allowed him to be reinstated.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 13:43

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

If we are talking about the rules then we have to accept that the rules have allowed him to be reinstated.

The FBI cleared him. I don't think the NCAA has reinstated him, because I don't think they ever ruled him ineligible (Louisville suspended him, not the NCAA). If Louisville reinstates him, he's still going to come under NCAA scrutiny.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 13:44

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Bingo!!!

It’s good to know duff puts institution’s rules over his own morals. Shows what kind of backbone he’s got.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 13:46

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Bingo!!!

It’s good to know duff puts institution’s rules over his own morals. Shows what kind of backbone he’s got.

But, there are no "rules" that have allowed him to be reinstated. The FBI doesn't determine eligibility.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 13:55

NCAA closes Cam Newton loophole

Here is the "rule":

The NCAA has broadened the definition of agents to include parents, closing the loophole that allowed 2010 Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton to keep playing despite his father's pay-for-play scheme.

Cam (allegedly) had no knowledge of his father shopping his services, and was allowed to play. The NCAA changed the rule, and it would certainly seem this would apply to Bowen.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 14:04

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The FBI cleared him. I don't think the NCAA has reinstated him, because I don't think they ever ruled him ineligible (Louisville suspended him, not the NCAA). If Louisville reinstates him, he's still going to come under NCAA scrutiny.

Fair enough, but I agree with Bowen's lawyer:

"Brian has not done anything wrong," Setchen told ESPN's Jeff Goodman. "We're really confident Louisville is going to be fair and give Brian every opportunity to present his case. With that being said, we're also confident he'll become eligible."

---

I'm confident that Bowen will be on the court before too long and it will be by the rules.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 14:05

Lets just put it this way with the NCAA being so corrupt, I have no problem with a player being unaware of his family member receiving 100k and then being cleared to play by the 'rules'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 14:09

steveschneider wrote:

Bingo!!!

I do think, to some extent, it's a matter of having integrity.

This has nothing to do with having a backbone. It has everything to do with pissing away a college basketball career because you ignore the rules.

Jesus, I agree the rule is dumb. Breaking them and expecting a pat on the head ( very millennial ) is dumber.

Brian Bowen is a dumbass that does not deserve to play.

Just as Le'Veon was a dumb ass for smoking weed in his car.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 14:10

steveschneider wrote:Lets just put it this way with the NCAA being so corrupt, I have no problem with a player being unaware of his family member receiving 100k and then being cleared to play by the 'rules'.

OMG. You really believe the kid knew nothing about the cash to his father? I mean, REALLY???
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 14:13

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

"Brian has not done anything wrong," Setchen told ESPN's Jeff Goodman. "We're really confident Louisville is going to be fair and give Brian every opportunity to present his case. With that being said, we're also confident he'll become eligible."

---

I'm confident that Bowen will be on the court before too long and it will be by the rules.

But...the NCAA has a Cam Newton rule which covers this. So, unless they waive the rule...he won't be playing for Louisville.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 14:17

You determine integrity by rules of institutions. I determine integrity by right and wrong set by myself.

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 502811600 at anyone using “integrity” in this conversation. How many institutions in this country have “integrity”?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 14:26

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You determine integrity by rules of institutions. I determine integrity by right and wrong set by myself.

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 502811600 at anyone using “integrity” in this conversation. How many institutions in this country have “integrity”?

Should we start with Penn State? How about the government? Maybe the Catholic Church? Or the NCAA?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 14:32

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You determine integrity by rules of institutions. I determine integrity by right and wrong set by myself.

Should we start with Penn State? How about the government? Maybe the Catholic Church? Or the NCAA?

Talking to yourself is not a good sign.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 14:40

NigelUno wrote:

I had more thoughts to destroy duff.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 14:45

NigelUno wrote:

Not sure that worked.

But, you think Bowen should be allowed to play at Louisville because they didn't hand him the money? That would seem to set a dangerous precedent.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 15:13

NigelUno wrote:

Not sure that worked.

But, you think Bowen should be allowed to play at Louisville because they didn't hand him the money? That would seem to set a dangerous precedent.

In contrast to which precedent that’s in place now?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-03, 15:31

NigelUno wrote:

Not sure that worked.

In contrast to which precedent that’s in place now?

The one that made Cliff Alexander ineligible.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 15:41

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

---

But...the NCAA has a Cam Newton rule which covers this. So, unless they waive the rule...he won't be playing for Louisville.

I have to say I read the rule wrong and you are correct. That being said, lets not jump to conclusions about how the NCAA will rule on this one or if they'll even open up an investigation. It's very possible the NCAA could take a while with their investigation if they even open one up. Whatever decision they make could take months or even years.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 15:53

Good article

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/remember-just-because-louisville-can-reinstate-brian-bowen-doesnt-mean-they-will-or-even-that-they-should

Having read that, I can see the risk Louisville runs by re-instating him...maybe he won't ever see the court.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 15:54

I don't believe Brian Bowen should be allowed to play because he is a dumb ass. I think his Dad is a dumb ass.

I don't believe either have much integrity.

Continue to simply make your own rules, OTPT. Good for you.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-03, 17:06

duffy munn wrote:

I don't believe Brian Bowen should be allowed to play because he is a dumb ass. I think his Dad is a dumb ass.

I read the article in the Louisville Courrier. If Bowen can prove he didn’t benefit and wasn’t aware that his dad took money he can play. In today’s post truth America this is plausible and once cleared it would be by the rules.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 18:01

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I read the article in the Louisville Courrier. If Bowen can prove he didn’t benefit and wasn’t aware that his dad took money he can play. In today’s post truth America this is plausible and once cleared it would be by the rules.

Again, if anyone for a second thinks the kid didn't know about the money, shame on them.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 18:08

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Again, if anyone for a second thinks the kid didn't know about the money, shame on them.

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 LWYby_s-200x150
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-11-03, 18:25

duffy munn wrote:

Brian Bowen cleared by FBI because the $100,000 went to his dad - Page 2 LWYby_s-200x150

Do you think Jr knew?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-03, 18:30

duffy munn wrote:

Do you think Jr knew?

Honestly, duff, I don’t know and I don’t really care.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-04, 09:04

Can they prove he knew about it? If we are going by the rules then the burden is on the NCAA to prove he knew about it. Strong case for plausible deniability and the kid plays.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-22, 14:47

Lou a vile ain’t letting him play. He can stay on scholarship at the school and go to class or he can transfer.

Would you take him?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-11-22, 14:48

DWags wrote:Lou a vile ain’t letting him play. He can stay on scholarship at the school and go to class or he can transfer.

Would you take him?
FIU would probably take a flyer on him.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-22, 14:49

DWags wrote:Lou a vile ain’t letting him play. He can stay on scholarship at the school and go to class or he can transfer.

Would you take him?

I hope he goes to Kentucky. It would seem appropriate and Lou uh vile heads would explode.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-22, 14:52

Maybe Michigan takes him
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next