Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dudes, call your congresspersons.

+2
AnomanderRake
Rocinante
6 posters

Go down

Dudes, call your congresspersons. Empty Dudes, call your congresspersons.

Post by Rocinante Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

These tax bills are fooked.

Tax Policy Center Analysis

Basically, it hides a bunch of bullshit in a moderate tax break for the middle class that expires over time.

the 1% get's all the real benefit.

It also basically kills the ACA.

and there are provisions to allow tax exempt organizations (churches) to openly support candidates (repeal of the Johnson amendment)

It's turrable. Get after it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Dudes, call your congresspersons. Empty Re: Dudes, call your congresspersons.

Post by AnomanderRake Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Lol come on Roc. Our representatives don't actually give a shit what their constituents think.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 pm

AnomanderRake wrote:Lol come on Roc. Our representatives don't actually give a shit what their constituents think.

They do when they get 1000 calls Rake
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:Lol come on Roc. Our representatives don't actually give a shit what their constituents think.

No I'm certain that just results in a bad day for their assistants. It's not like they don't know who wins and loses with this tax bill. Not only are they aware, it's what their donors want. Representatives can deal with pissed off constituents, but they can't fuck with their donors. Money dictates policy, not public opinion.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Shocked to hear that Republicans want to disenfranchise the most vulnerable among us.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm

AnomanderRake wrote:

No I'm certain that just results in a bad day for their assistants. It's not like they don't know who wins and loses with this tax bill. Not only are they aware, it's what their donors want. Representatives can deal with pissed off constituents, but they can't fuck with their donors. Money dictates policy, not public opinion.

Sorry Rake that’s just not the case. I don’t know what to tell you. I guess read some of the statements from republicans that voted no on the ACA repeal over the summer regarding getting hundreds of calls telling them not to and 5 telling them to do it. If they got the impression that their constituents didn’t care then they easily could have just voted yes and not pissed off their boys.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Fearless Fred Upton rarely lets anyone know how he will vote until the 11th hour and more often than not its the way the major GOP donors want him to vote.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:08 pm

AnomanderRake wrote:

Sorry Rake that’s just not the case. I don’t know what to tell you. I guess read some of the statements from republicans that voted no on the ACA repeal over the summer regarding getting hundreds of calls telling them not to and 5 telling them to do it. If they got the impression that their constituents didn’t care then they easily could have just voted yes and not pissed off their boys.

Better to say that reps are interested in what their constituents have to say only if they are of the same political party. They couldn't give two shits what a co stituent from the opposition party thinks. That's my longtime experience which is shared with friends who are also libtards.
All of this means I think you and Rake are each half right. Well, Rake is half right and you are half wrong.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Better to say that reps are interested in what their constituents have to say only if they are of the same political party. They couldn't give two shits what a co stituent from the opposition party thinks. That's my longtime experience which is shared with friends who are also libtards.
All of this means I think you and Rake are each half right. Well, Rake is half right and you are half wrong.

Well greenway I do not advise starting your call with “I’m a democrat you’re a republican now do what I say.”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Well greenway I do not advise starting your call with “I’m a democrat you’re a republican now do what I say.”

Duh. You don't need to tell them that. They sorta figure it out when you oppose any GOP plan, especially if you call whenever republicans are about to do something mean and stupid to America. As often as that happens, they start to remember your name.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:36 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Duh. You don't need to tell them that. They sorta figure it out when you oppose any GOP plan, especially if you call whenever republicans are about to do something mean and stupid to America. As often as that happens, they start to remember your name.

I forgot to finish the rest of my sentence. I would note that if your senator is ted Cruz it’s not going to matter very much when you call. But if your senator is, say, Lisa Murkowski who would go either way on the tax bill, then a boatload of calls against it vs 3 for it can make a difference.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

I forgot to finish the rest of my sentence. I would note that if your senator is ted Cruz it’s not going to matter very much when you call. But if your senator is, say, Lisa Murkowski who would go either way on the tax bill, then a boatload of calls against it vs 3 for it can make a difference.

As I mentioned, my rep is Bishop, as solid a party line vote as there ever was. He's a vote bot.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

As I mentioned, my rep is Bishop, as solid a party line vote as there ever was. He's a vote bot.
every time I look at him he reminds me of the missing link.

oh - and he's had more than a few girlfriends in Lansing, too - I'm sure he's got a handful in DC, as well.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:40 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t make it a habit of actually reading your posts.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Okay then bye
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Okay then bye

I’m just joshin ya :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Okay then bye

I’m just joshin ya :)

My name is GreenWay. I don't want to be Josh.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm

AnomanderRake wrote:

I will admit that there are probably a handful of congressmen that could be influenced by a strong showing from their constituents, and some on their final terms that would rather do what's right than what the party wants, but a vast majority of congress votes consistently along party lines.

This video references an interesting study from Princeton regarding public opinion polls vs legislation. The data overwhelmingly shows that congress doesn't give a fuck what the public thinks, unless said member of the public is in the top 1% of course.

AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Dude's, I live in Wyoming. You think Mike Enzi and John Barrasso are goign to listen to me? Liz Cheney?? Come on. But I still call them and write them. Don't psychoanalyze them, fucking call them. The amount of work people go through to not do work amazes me.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down