Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need help - your opinions.

+5
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
9 posters

Go down

I need help - your opinions. Empty I need help - your opinions.

Post by Guest 2017-11-25, 22:52

What would you expect to pay for a meal like this:
I need help - your opinions. Ls

Smoked whole hog sandwich, fresh homemade slaw and a roll.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

I need help - your opinions. Empty Re: I need help - your opinions.

Post by kingstonlake 2017-11-25, 22:53

$7.99 + drink
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-25, 22:56

I dunno maybe like 11 bucks that’s a lot of meat
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-25, 22:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I dunno maybe like 11 bucks that’s a lot of meat

I'm estimating 1/3-1/2# so a generous portion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-25, 23:04

It reminds me of what GreenWay must be like when he is talking in real life. I see an open mouth and shit pouring out.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-25, 23:04

People charge a lot for BBQ. The answer is probably $11.95. Which is stupid because pork butt is absurdly cheap.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-25, 23:05

That's not sandwhich. It's also not a cave.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-25, 23:37

10 bucks.

Notes:

1) Meat looks pretty decent.
2) The roll is superfluous with the sandwich bun.
3) Looks like way too much mayo in the slaw. Vinegar-based slaw is better with pulled pork.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-25, 23:58

Depends, where am I?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-26, 00:07

DWags wrote:Depends, where am I?

You are inside Herbie’s mind. You are not real, your life is not real, you are just part of Herbie’s imagination.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 00:14

Northern Michigan....pulling over on your drive to the cabin.....or on your way home.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-26, 00:19

LooseGoose wrote:

Northern Michigan....pulling over on your drive to the cabin.....or on your way home.

6.50 for that plate. I’d give em ten bucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 00:23

The Pantry wrote:10 bucks.

Notes:

3) Looks like way too much mayo in the slaw. Vinegar-based slaw is better with pulled pork.

I just stole an example plate from the 'net.

My son in law is still determined he wants to do a BBQ joint. We've been kicking this around for 2 years, he's been cooking pretty regularly. He's gotten pretty good at turning out a consistent, tasty meat. We just had possible location pop up so I've been playing with a spreadsheet again to see if it's feasible.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 00:27

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

6.50 for that plate. I’d give em ten bucks.

I've been toying with hours of 4-8 Fri/11-8 Sat/11-6 Sun. 20 hours a weekend. Which would allow him to keep his current job while trying this out - he works 4 - 10 hour days for most of the year. Sweet part is that gives the kids a safety net in case this would go sideways.

I was thinking $6.99 for a sandwich and 1 side at lunch then $8.99 with 2 sides in the evenings. Break even is very doable at those prices....mainly because as WBH said the meat is insanely cheap.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-26, 00:27

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:10 bucks.

Notes:

My son in law is still determined he wants to do a BBQ joint. We've been kicking this around for 2 years, he's been cooking pretty regularly. He's gotten pretty good at turning out a consistent, tasty meat. We just had possible location pop up so I've been playing with a spreadsheet again to see if it's feasible.

Can he get a liquor license? Beer?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-26, 00:33

How much does the meat and the roll and the slaw cost goose? We’re gonna need to know that so we can do some analysis here so we destroy northern Michigan and make them give us all their money.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 00:40

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Can he get a liquor license? Beer?

Hadn't even looked at that in this instance....this particular setup would be carry out only....maybe some picnic tables to eat at outside.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 00:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:How much does the meat and the roll and the slaw cost goose? We’re gonna need to know that so we can do some analysis here so we destroy northern Michigan and make them give us all their money.

$2.75 per plate is a pretty solid estimate. Includes meat, bun, 2 sides, clamshell, napkin, utensil etc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-26, 00:55

In Austin I guarantee you that plate costs 11.95 - 14.95. In Mio/Kalkatucky/Grayling you could probably get away with 9.95.

I've never sold my shit so I can't really comment.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-11-26, 00:57

How much traffic(paying customers to break even) will you need? Also, cash only or will you be bowing down to the CC companies? How much does it cost to pay off the county health inspector, police, and fire department?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-26, 01:05

Damn I would just fuck the restaurant eat that for every meal and live like a king.

And also die when I’m 40.

Anyway. So it sounds like labor is 0, and occupancy is, minimal? So, $300 bucks sells you 100 Sammies. Let’s round up to 450 assuming some amount of cost for equipment to make said sammies plus occupancy. Maybe more like 500. I dunno. 

So pretty much at $7 a pop he’s gonna make $2 for each Sammie he can sell at that point, again assuming some kind of monthly expense and 100 sammies a month which is totally random. 29% is a good profit margin but we’re gonna have to talk volume here if we’re gonna take this big time. If he’s only raking in $200 a month from this he may as well get a weekend job at McDonald’s where he can get free nugs. I’m stressed about equipment cost but most importantly volume. Let’s talk volume. $7 works fine as long as we sell enough to make it worth it which will have to be more than 25 a weekend.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 01:33

pulling69 wrote:How much traffic(paying customers to break even) will you need? Also, cash only or will you be bowing down to the CC companies? How much does it cost to pay off the county health inspector, police, and fire department?

I've been playing with these #'s off and on for 2 years now.  This particular set up I've only started revising early tonight.
Breakeven is insanely low....I'm not getting too fancy so only using 4 weekends per month to keep things simple.  .

I costed CCs at 50%, thatg may be too low. Even though some places up here don't take them, I think there's a big downside to that.
I know the county health inspectors, they'll be decent with me.  We've had past interactions so they know I'm prickly enough that they're not going to horse me around.  No zoning up here so police and fire aren't a worry plus I take the Sheriffs department pies 7-8 times a year.  ;-)  And that's the only police in the county.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2017-11-26, 01:43; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-26, 01:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Damn I would just fuck the restaurant eat that for every meal and live like a king.

And also die when I’m 40.

Anyway. So it sounds like labor is 0, and occupancy is, minimal? So, $300 bucks sells you 100 Sammies. Let’s round up to 450 assuming some amount of cost for equipment to make said sammies plus occupancy. Maybe more like 500. I dunno. 

So pretty much at $7 a pop he’s gonna make $2 for each Sammie he can sell at that point, again assuming some kind of monthly expense and 100 sammies a month which is totally random. 29% is a good profit margin but we’re gonna have to talk volume here if we’re gonna take this big time. If he’s only raking in $200 a month from this he may as well get a weekend job at McDonald’s where he can get free nugs. I’m stressed about equipment cost but most importantly volume. Let’s talk volume. $7 works fine as long as we sell enough to make it worth it which will have to be more than 25 a weekend.

He wants out of his current job. He's a foreman for one of those tree cutting companies that clear the power lines. Makes good coin for up here but doesn't like the cold/rain/snow and at times works hours from home. I've been pretty adamant that we need to find a way to do this while he keeps that job - at least for long enough that we can all be comfortable this would make it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-26, 01:52

At the end of the day it comes down to volume though. How many can we realistically sell? Food truck maybe for tree cutters and other similar lines of work that he might have an easy in at? I’m not sure how well a stand-alone restaurant can do with limited menu options and a small but sexy nearby population. I mean that I’m not sure part- I have no idea.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-26, 01:58

LooseGoose wrote:
He wants out of his current job. He's a foreman for one of those tree cutting companies that clear the power lines. Makes good coin for up here but doesn't like the cold/rain/snow and at times works hours from home. I've been pretty adamant that we need to find a way to do this while he keeps that job - at least for long enough that we can all be comfortable this would make it.
Joined this forum a few years back to pick up BBQ tips. Tons of info there for those interested in commercial and competition BBQ.

BBQ Brethren
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-11-26, 02:49

LooseGoose wrote:What would you expect to pay for a meal like this:
I need help - your opinions. Ls

Smoked whole hog sandwich, fresh homemade slaw and a roll.

I need help - your opinions. All_am10
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-26, 07:05

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:At the end of the day it comes down to volume though. How many can we realistically sell? Food truck maybe for tree cutters and other similar lines of work that he might have an easy in at? I’m not sure how well a stand-alone restaurant can do with limited menu options and a small but sexy nearby population. I mean that I’m not sure part- I have no idea.

A food truck for tree cutters on the weekend?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down