Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ways to fix fifa soccer

+22
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
Zapp Brannigan
ROtown Sparty
Blanch32
tig ol bitties
pulling69
Travis of the Cosmos
MJ
dubie7006
CrazySparty
Gob Bluth
RBW Spartan
Izzo Court
Bizarro Fletch
Nordic
Albert_Potato
WBill
By-Tor
Ass Dan
kingstonlake
WCS
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ways to fix fifa soccer Empty ways to fix fifa soccer

Post by WCS 2014-06-15, 18:32

Something needs to be done...let's start with the off sides rule.

WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

ways to fix fifa soccer Empty Re: ways to fix fifa soccer

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 18:41

Change it to hockey.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 18:42

But really; the group seeding, or lack thereof is asinine
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 18:45

ways to fix fifa soccer 276803595 This should be really good.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-15, 18:47

Anybody know Wisconsin men's basketball FIFA ranking?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-15, 18:57

The constant over selling of injuries is maddening.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-15, 19:19

WCS wrote:Something needs to be done...
Why?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-06-15, 19:20

Allow more substitution. But maintain a player can't renter the game
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-06-15, 20:07

Imagine what football would look like if the players acted like that after every hard contact. There would be 8 players on the ground writhing in apparent pain after every play.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Albert_Potato 2014-06-15, 20:13

Suggestions from people who probably never played. Great,
Albert_Potato
Albert_Potato
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 20:35

Albert_Potato wrote:Suggestions from people who probably never played.  Great,

Yup, although I do agree with this one. I would like to see a couple more subs available.

By-Tor wrote:Allow more substitution.   But maintain a player can't renter the game
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-15, 20:39

Albert_Potato wrote:Suggestions from people who probably never played.  Great,

I can't sing a lick or play an instrument. Nickleback sucks. See what I did there?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-06-15, 20:39

Okay, I'll bite....

If you go down, you have 60 seconds (or metric equivalent)  to get up.  If not that orange stretcher will come out and haul your ass off the pitch for 5 minutes.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Albert_Potato 2014-06-15, 20:52

kingstonlake wrote:

I can't sing a lick or play an instrument. Nickleback sucks. See what I did there?
You make an excellent point.
Albert_Potato
Albert_Potato
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-06-15, 21:00

It's far and away the most popular sporting event in the history of the world. Not sure they're worried about "fixing" anything.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 21:14

Fire Sepp Blatter.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-06-15, 21:30

Bizarro Fletch wrote:It's far and away the most popular sporting event in the history of the world. Not sure they're worried about "fixing" anything.

Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey are popular...yet they are smart enough to evolve...are you staying fifa people are idiots? Is that because they aren't Americans and you think foreigners are idiots?

Why are you so intolerant to the idea that other nationalities are smart enough to evolve?
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 21:43

Bizarro Fletch wrote:It's far and away the most popular sporting event in the history of the world. Not sure they're worried about "fixing" anything.

You know, I know this; but trying to be objective as possible; I don't see what Soccer has over Basketball, Football, or Hockey.

Baseball, I get it. Tennis and golf? Yup. But I can't make a single argument for soccer being better than hoops, football, or hockey.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-06-15, 21:44

White skinned people don't have to play any dark, moderately dark, lightly dark, or well tanned people.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 21:45

Why don't you start by listing what you think is "wrong" with soccer?
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-15, 21:48

WCS wrote:

Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey are popular...yet they are smart enough to evolve...are you staying fifa people are idiots? Is that because they aren't Americans and you think foreigners are idiots?

Why are you so intolerant to the idea that other nationalities are smart enough to evolve?
This might be the worst argument for something I have ever seen in my life ever.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 21:49

Gob Bluth wrote:Why don't you start by listing what you think is "wrong" with soccer?

1. Fake injuries
2. Little to no strategy
3. The running clock and ambiguity of time
4. Excruciatingly boring. And no, it's not low scoring; it's that the vast majority of the time, nothing is happening. It's like watching the devils play back in the day where they controlled the neutral zone.
5. FIFA is wildly corrupt; corrupt to boxing levels.
6. Annoying American soccer fans
7. PKs deciding a game
8. The group stage placement for the WC

What *is* cool about soccer?

1. Relegation and promotion
2. Clubs never moving
3. International competition
4. Pagentry

Note: None of these cool things about soccer have to do with the sport itself; it's having a group of nations near each other play the sport.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-15, 21:53

RBW Spartan wrote:

1. Fake injuries
2. Little to no strategy
3. The running clock and ambiguity of time
4. Excruciatingly boring. And no, it's not low scoring; it's that the vast majority of the time, nothing is happening. It's like watching the devils play back in the day where they controlled the neutral zone.
5. FIFA is wildly corrupt; corrupt to boxing levels.
6. Annoying American soccer fans
7. PKs deciding a game
8. The group stage placement for the WC

What *is* cool about soccer?

1. Relegation and promotion
2. Clubs never moving
3. International competition
4. Pagentry

Note: None of these cool things about soccer have to do with the sport itself; it's having a group of nations near each other play the sport.
3 and 4 both exist on your list only because you are wildly wrong about #2. Understand 2 and you might think differently about 3 and 4.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 21:54

RBW Spartan wrote:

2. Little to no strategy

ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 

You're either trolling, or you genuinely don't know anything about the game.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 21:57

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
3 and 4 both exist on your list only because you are wildly wrong about #2. Understand 2 and you might think differently about 3 and 4.

I understand the importance of the limited subs. Perhaps no strategy was a bit much, but the role of the manager is way less important than in football, basketball, or baseball.

Let's say that if I were a huge soccer fan, I would find it interesting; but that's a tautology. Football is exciting because you can see huge hits, and large men beating the crap out of each other. Hockey is constant action. Basketball involves freaks. Soccer doesn't have the instant "have to watch" cache the other sports do.

Finally, what does the running clock have to do with anything strategy wise? Would it be so hard to stop the clock on booking, out of bounds, injuries, and subs? Literally every other timed sport in existence at a major level does it; why is soccer special?
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 21:58

Gob Bluth wrote:

ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 ways to fix fifa soccer 502811600 

You're either trolling, or you genuinely don't know anything about the game.

I address that there is some strategy in a previous post; but the strategic element is WAY less than basketball, football, or baseball; I would put it comparable to hockey.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 22:00

RBW Spartan wrote:

I address that there is some strategy in a previous post; but the strategic element is WAY less than basketball, football, or baseball; I would put it comparable to hockey.

ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946  Well thanks for playing.

I think you proved to everyone you know absolutely nothing about the game. Do you compare the strategic levels of Soccer to golf as well?
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 22:02

MJ wrote:

ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946 ways to fix fifa soccer 1966794946  Well thanks for playing.  

I think you proved to everyone you know absolutely nothing about the game.   Do you compare the strategic levels of Soccer to golf as well?

When I said little to no strategy, it was relative to other major sports.

But, pray tell, where is all the strategy in soccer; and how is it more than the other big sports?
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 22:03

RBW Spartan wrote:
but the role of the manager is way less important than in football, basketball, or baseball.

Are you sure about that? Spend some time here and see if you still hold the same opinion.

RBW Spartan wrote:Soccer doesn't have the instant "have to watch" cache the other sports do.

Now you're just trying to pass off your personal opinion as fact.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 22:09

Gob Bluth wrote:

Are you sure about that? Spend some time here and see if you still hold the same opinion.

Now you're just trying to pass off your personal opinion as fact.

You don't think this exact same breakdown happens in basketball and football? Hell, every single pitch in baseball is a strategic battle between pitcher and batter.

Even more, you're using a site with 10 paragraph write ups as your evidence.

Go to ANY team based blog after any random regular season game, and you'll see just as lengthy write ups about the strategy of the game.

I want to make something clear. I don't hate soccer the way many on this site do; yet, I don't worship it and defend it against all slurs the way so many american soccer fans do. It's a flawed game (like all sports). More importantly, it's a terrible sport for TV because you lose what WOULD draw in the average every day fan (like myself) - the pageantry aspects.

RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 22:12

RBW Spartan wrote:it's a terrible sport for TV because you lose what WOULD draw in the average every day fan (like myself) - the pageantry aspects.

3.2 billion people worldwide tuned into the 2010 World Cup - 46.4 percent of the world.
FIFA (The Fédération Internationale de Football Association) says 909.6 million television viewers watched at least one minute of the 2010 World Cup final.

619.7 million people watched 20 consecutive minutes of Spain's 1-0 extra-time win.

But it's a terrible sport for TV.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 22:13

RBW Spartan wrote:

But, pray tell, where is all the strategy in soccer; and how is it more than the other big sports?

Just because soccer doesn't feature hundreds of scripted plays like an NFL playbook doesn't mean there is an absence of strategy. Formation and squad selection play a HUGE role in strategy. The fact that a team is limited to three subs plays a major role...a manager is answering hundreds of questions every match. If we take the lead, do I make a defensive substitution to try and maintain it? If the opponent overcomes my defensive substitution, will I still be able to re-take the lead with a more defensive minded squad? When we get the lead, do we try to maintain possession, or do we park the bus? If we try to maintain possession, do I have players on the pitch who will play safe, or will they take risks?

As far as formations go...what type of squad can I expect my opponent to put out? How can I maximize our chances against what I think the opponent will do? Do I sacrifice a striker in the formation in favor of an extra midfielder? Traditional 4-4-2 vs. a 4-4-2 diamond...do I want my wing backs to add into the attack, or should they stay back and support the defense?

And tactics...tiki-taka, long balls, gegenpressing, catenaccio, countering, total football, zonal marking, man marking...just because you don't understand them doesn't mean they're not there.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 22:14

RBW Spartan wrote:

You don't think this exact same breakdown happens in basketball and football?

For ****'s sake...I NEVER SAID IT DIDN'T!!! You're the one trying to claim that soccer doesn't feature the same depth of tactics as other sports, I'm just showing you piles of evidence to the contrary.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 22:17

MJ wrote:

3.2 billion people worldwide tuned into the 2010 World Cup - 46.4 percent of the world.
FIFA (The Fédération Internationale de Football Association)  say 909.6 million television viewers watched at least one minute of the 2010 World Cup final.  

619.7 million people watched 20 consecutive minutes of Spain's 1-0 extra-time win.

But it's a terrible sport for TV.  

This is a false syllogism. It's a quadrennial event that is the world's sport; of course people are going to tune in. That doesn't mean the sport inherently plays well to TV.

Equally poor argument "Americans, the most TV watching people of all time, watch the WC at an average significantly below the world. Ergo, it's a terrible sport for tv.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 22:20

Gob Bluth wrote:

Just because soccer doesn't feature hundreds of scripted plays like an NFL playbook doesn't mean there is an absence of strategy. Formation and squad selection play a HUGE role in strategy. The fact that a team is limited to three subs plays a major role...a manager is answering hundreds of questions every match. If we take the lead, do I make a defensive substitution to try and maintain it? If the opponent overcomes my defensive substitution, will I still be able to re-take the lead with a more defensive minded squad? When we get the lead, do we try to maintain possession, or do we park the bus? If we try to maintain possession, do I have players on the pitch who will play safe, or will they take risks?

As far as formations go...what type of squad can I expect my opponent to put out? How can I maximize our chances against what I think the opponent will do? Do I sacrifice a striker in the formation in favor of an extra midfielder? Traditional 4-4-2 vs. a 4-4-2 diamond...do I want my wing backs to add into the attack, or should they stay back and support the defense?

And tactics...tiki-taka, long balls, gegenpressing, catenaccio, countering, total football, zonal marking, man marking...just because you don't understand them doesn't mean they're not there.

Gob Bluth wrote:

For ****'s sake...I NEVER SAID IT DIDN'T!!! You're the one trying to claim that soccer doesn't feature the same depth of tactics as other sports, I'm just showing you piles of evidence to the contrary.

I still don't think these rise anywhere near to the level of football or basketball (or baseball), but let's drop this argument. I'll concede it for the sake of the larger point:

It still doesn't address the myriad other issues I listed (let's ignore 2, 4 and 6 for the time being). 1,3,5,7,and 8 are all real issues.

And no, just because it's the world's most popular sport, doesn't mean it can't be 'fixed' or improved.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 22:22

RBW Spartan wrote:

When I said little to no strategy, it was relative to other major sports.

Soccer is just like basketball when trying to force a guy to the wrong hand/foot in certain situations.

Like basketball with running sets in the half court, the set plays on corner kicks, free kicks, throw ins and their own version of the half court when bringing the ball up the field.

Would I say there is as much strategy as football and baseball? No, because of so many stoppages with each snap or pitch. But to say there is little to none is just hilarious and shows you know nothing about the game.

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-06-15, 22:30

RBW Spartan wrote:

Hell, every single pitch in baseball is a strategic battle between pitcher and batter.

Sorry, I can't stand for this. Every pitch in baseball is a glorified game of rock/paper/scissors. It's nothing but guesses on each side. People that say you can 'set up' pitches are just trying to defend the game. I was a pitcher, and I never, ever had a strategy. I went with what felt right, what I was throwing well, and what I didn't think the batter would be ready for. Just as when I was batting, I had no idea what was being thrown. I was guessing.

There is infinitely more strategy in soccer than there is in baseball. Period. End of story.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-15, 22:31

[quote="dubie7006"]

and what I didn't think the batter would be ready for.  Just as when I was batting

There is infinitely more strategy in soccer than there is in baseball.  Period.  End of story.[/quote

That's kinda the definition of strategy.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-15, 22:34

Let's take a look at RBW's list.

1. Fake injuries - Please see the NBA
2. Little to no strategy - We have established he knows nothing about the game.
3. The running clock and ambiguity of time - Which is one of the best parts of the game, everyone looks for the 4th official at the half, end of 90 to know how much time a team spent laying on the ground.  The games are LONGER playing time wise then any other of the regulation timed sports, yet the games are shorter in overall time.
4. Excruciatingly boring. And no, it's not low scoring; it's that the vast majority of the time, nothing is happening. It's like watching the devils play back in the day where they controlled the neutral zone. - Soccer is a game of chances, and yeah, there have been a lot of 0-0 ties this world cup right?
5. FIFA is wildly corrupt; corrupt to boxing levels. - Tim Donaghy on line 1.   And every sport has it to different extents.
6. Annoying American soccer fans - Michigan Fans? NBA Fans? Nascar Fans?
7. PKs deciding a game - NHL has shoot outs?  So that makes the NHL dumb then too right?  I'd prefer golden goal, but 30 minutes of OT before hand helps.
8. The group stage placement for the WC - It's a random draw?  Based on the levels of the teams and making sure teams from the same region aren't in the same group.  Not sure how you could want something better?   I'd love to see the NCAA Tournament seed each team as a 1, 2, 3, 4 - 16 etc and then draw them out of hat.  
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-15, 22:35

RBW Spartan wrote:

I still don't think these rise anywhere near to the level of football or basketball (or baseball), but let's drop this argument. I'll concede it for the sake of the larger point:

It still doesn't address the myriad other issues I listed (let's ignore 2, 4 and 6 for the time being). 1,3,5,7,and 8 are all real issues.

And no, just because it's the world's most popular sport, doesn't mean it can't be 'fixed' or improved.

#1 - MLS is already retroactively punishing players for diving. Flopping is more frequently met with a yellow card. So many players/managers are calling for retroactive punishment for diving to be standard that it's only a matter of time.

#3 - Time isn't ambiguous at all in soccer. You play two 45-minute halves, one official is in charge of figuring out how much time the ball spends out of play, and adds time at the end of each half accordingly. Watch soccer frequently for a month, and you'll become quite good at guessing how much extra time will be added.

#5 - This is a very valid point. Sepp Blatter is a jackass, and the whole Qatar snafu these past few weeks has exposed the organization's corruption to even the most ignorant fans. Get rid of Blatter, and solve a lot of problems here.

#7 - How else would you decide a knockout match in a tournament? In the WC/Euros, there's not enough time built into the schedule for a replay (which national leagues DO have in early rounds of knockout tournaments). Same with the Champions League. Having the teams keep playing until there's a winner isn't an option either, especially when you consider that by the end of a match that goes to penalties, some players will have been going for 2+ hours. Add more subs you say? Then you'll have to increase squad sizes at all matches, something that many clubs flat out can't afford to do.

#8 - Help me understand your beef with the WC group stage. I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next