Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US

+6
I.B. Fine
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
CORNER BLITZ
tGreenWay
The Pantry
10 posters

Go down

Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US Empty Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US

Post by The Pantry Tue 17 Apr - 19:46

One person has died after a Southwest plane engine failed in midair today, marking the first accidental domestic airline fatality in nine years, said the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

Flight 1380 was en route from New York City's LaGuardia International Airport to Dallas Love Field when the engine failure forced the plane to make an emergency landing at the Philadelphia International Airport this morning.

Passenger Matt Tranchin said the flight took a turn when he saw a "huge explosion and glass shattering three rows ahead of me."

"Flight attendants rushed up. There was momentary chaos. Everyone kind of descended on where this hole was. As passengers, we weren't sure if they were trying to cover up the hole, but the plane smelled like smoke. There was ash coming through the ventilation system. We started dropping," Tranchin told ABC station WPVI in Philadelphia. "Some of the crew couldn't hold back their horror. And some were crying as they looked out through the open window onto the engine."

Southwest emergency landing: 1 dead after engine fails in midair
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US Empty Re: Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US

Post by tGreenWay Tue 17 Apr - 20:00

Haven’t seen the report, but the follow up to the 60 Minutes report on Allegiant Air was scary. Personally, I’ve only flown them once, and had no problem, but this gives pause.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/flyer-beware-60-minutes-allegiant-air-investigation/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US Empty Re: Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 17 Apr - 20:01

I hope this experience hasn't put any of you off flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 17 Apr - 20:02

And Allegiant’s response:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/allegiant-airlines-fires-back-60-minutes-report-safety/story?id=54500522
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr - 20:02

There was some confusion whether the woman that got partially sucked out died or someone else did from a heart attack.

That article doesn't state definitely which, would the heart attack count as an accident death?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 17 Apr - 20:19

Well that's horrifying.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 17 Apr - 21:03

LooseGoose wrote:There was some confusion whether the woman that got partially sucked out died or someone else did from a heart attack.

That article doesn't state definitely which, would the heart attack count as an accident death?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/us/philadelphia-southwest-flight-emergency-landing/index.html

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue 17 Apr - 21:09

Makes you think twice about whether or not to take a window seat.

Seriously, can only think of maybe one other incident remotely like this in my longer than I'd care to admit memory, one in millions. Still scary as hell.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 17 Apr - 21:18

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:There was some confusion whether the woman that got partially sucked out died or someone else did from a heart attack.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/us/philadelphia-southwest-flight-emergency-landing/index.html

Passengers aboard a Dallas-bound Southwest Airlines flight Tuesday struggled to pull a woman back into the plane after she was sucked into a hole left by a shattered window, witnesses said.

The woman died, officials said.
The woman was sitting on the left side of the plane when something in the engine apparently broke and smacked into the window. She hung out the hole for many minutes, said Hollie Mackey, who sat next to the victim, and Amy Serafini, who was in the row behind the woman.
Many passengers kept trying to pull the woman back into the plane for a long time, until two men were able to get the woman back in her seat, they said.
A nurse answered a call for help and tried to do CPR.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr - 21:20

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Passengers aboard a Dallas-bound Southwest Airlines flight Tuesday struggled to pull a woman back into the plane after she was sucked into a hole left by a shattered window, witnesses said.

The woman died, officials said.
The woman was sitting on the left side of the plane when something in the engine apparently broke and smacked into the window. She hung out the hole for many minutes, said Hollie Mackey, who sat next to the victim, and Amy Serafini, who was in the row behind the woman.
Many passengers kept trying to pull the woman back into the plane for a long time, until two men were able to get the woman back in her seat, they said.
A nurse answered a call for help and tried to do CPR.

Yep, that was a later story, the early stories weren't as clear. RIP for the lady, that had to be horrible.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 17 Apr - 21:48

Yuck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Tue 17 Apr - 22:20

I.B. Fine wrote:Makes you think twice about whether or not to take a window seat.

Seriously, can only think of maybe one other incident remotely like this in my longer than I'd care to admit memory, one in millions. Still scary as hell.
Or to ever unbuckle your lap belt.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 18 Apr - 0:12

I.B. Fine wrote:Makes you think twice about whether or not to take a window seat.

Hawaiian Airlines? A big portion of the roof ripped off and a woman got ejected, IIRC. The brother of a close friend was on that same flight, but deplaned on the last stop before the accident, which I think was Seattle. Maybe it wasn’t the last stop, it’s been too long since it happened for me to remember correctly.

Edit: I just checked and it was Aloha Airlines, not Hawaiian.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by loogoldham Wed 18 Apr - 2:32

Amazing how calm the pilot is ... I'd be screaming bloody murder into the microphone..

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pilot-who-saved-that-southwest-flight-is-a-badass-1825341463
loogoldham
loogoldham
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 18 Apr - 9:30

tGreenWay wrote:

Hawaiian Airlines? A big portion of the roof ripped off and a woman got ejected, IIRC. The brother of a close friend was on that same flight, but deplaned on the last stop before the accident, which I think was Seattle. Maybe it wasn’t the last stop, it’s been too long since it happened for me to remember correctly.

Hard to believe it has been 9 years since the last commercial airline accident death in the US Aloha_2

Yeah, fuck this.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Wed 18 Apr - 9:55

tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Another reason to keep your seat belt on.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Apr - 10:01

loogoldham wrote:Amazing how calm the pilot is ... I'd be screaming bloody murder into the microphone..

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pilot-who-saved-that-southwest-flight-is-a-badass-1825341463
heard that audio this morning. Nothing short of amazing.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down