Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shorts Brewery/intermediate Lake

+4
MiamiSpartan
Cosmo_Kramer
Rook
Mentalstate
8 posters

Go down

Shorts Brewery/intermediate Lake Empty Shorts Brewery/intermediate Lake

Post by Mentalstate Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 23:56

So far, 4 stars. Not at the level of my Northport vacay, but still damn nice. Let's see what the week brings.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Shorts Brewery/intermediate Lake Empty Re: Shorts Brewery/intermediate Lake

Post by Rook Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 8:57

Staying on Intermediate Lake in mid August. Never been in the area. Make sure to report the best places to go and worst places that should be avoided. And, if your a fisherman, what did you fish for and what did you use for a rig.
Rook
Rook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 10:42

Short's Brewery looks like a hick brewery with the picnic tables and country music. Great beer though.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 10:50

Fishing is reportedly good right now, night crawlers working best. And Shorts has renovated.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 11:05

Are you staying on Intermediate Lake? Cabin Rental or own a place? We will be on the west shore on the lower end.
Rook
Rook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 13:32

Mentalstate wrote:So far, 4 stars. Not at the level of my Northport vacay, but still damn nice. Let's see what the week brings.
Good to hear it's going well so far. Based on the pics you posted on FB, I'm pretty sure I know exactly where you are (we used to rent probably 1/2 mile or less South of your spot every year until I was in college, at which point we moved to my aunt's place further South after our regular rental place was sold).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 13:46

We are in Walt's cabin, right on Northern end where the river enters the lake, and the bulk of our party is in a sweet house 5 minutes south of the cabin.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 14:25

Mentalstate wrote:We are in Walt's cabin, right on Northern end where the river enters the lake, and the bulk of our party is in a sweet house 5 minutes south of the cabin.
Oh, ok. It was the area around the house that I recognized the most, and where we used to stay just down a little bit from. I believe that's right around where our typical water ski route would circle back and start heading in to drop off.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 16:55

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:Short's Brewery looks like a hick brewery with the picnic tables and country music. Great beer though.

Lulz wut?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 17:34

Love the old school bus seat couches at Shorts.  The beer is outstanding.  I've only had pizza there but it was solid.
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 21:43

I had a sandwich there today...damn good. Just a notch below Fish Town.

The lake water is amazing, and very clear.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 22:03

Overall, I give it a 3.8.

I was on the border of Redneckville.

The lake was amazingly clear...because of the zebra mussels, which cut two people on my trip badly. Still, the visibility was amazing, especially when I was out in the middle and went underwater, was actually a little spooky to be able to see that far into the abyss.

Shorts had amazing food. Ate there numerous times. Had someone compare them to Bells from 10 years ago, which seems accurate. They actually have a bartender working there now shoe worked at Bells for 10 years, which was funny. The beer I found to be hit-or-miss, lots of heavy ones that felt like a solid commitment to the toilet if I stayed with them. Loved the Stache Bender.

Lake was pretty chill, very little boat traffic.

The two gems of the trip:
The Blue Pelican, Holy Shit. Went twice, had the filet and the t-bone. **** yes. Had a bottle of $30 MI Pinot from around TC that was amazing. Loved the place.
Barnes County Park. A slice of Lake Michigan heaven. Great skinny beach, even saw coyote and bear tracks (fresh) on it when I went on a Wednesday and no one else was there.

Of course, went to Fishtown and went to town on that food, and hit Sleeping Bear when the fog was rolling it, it was a surreal once-in-a-lifetime experience. Also, a big F You to that in-shape dude who sprinted past me & my boy on The Climb. Suck it, I still heaved my way to the top!

All-in-all, love Up North, and will go back to Leelanau Penn. next time, might even buy up there.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Tue 1 Jul 2014 - 12:03

By-Tor wrote:

Lulz wut?

It's like all wooden tables and country music
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Tue 1 Jul 2014 - 16:49

Where is the Blue Pelican and Barnes Park?
Rook
Rook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Tue 1 Jul 2014 - 19:46

Rook wrote:Where is the Blue Pelican and Barnes Park?

Blue Pelican is in Central Lake, right up road 12 minutes from Bellaire:

http://www.thebluepelican.com

Barnes Park is straight down same road until it crosses 31 and ends at the Park:

http://www.antrimcounty.org/barnespark.asp
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 2 Jul 2014 - 8:44

Mentalstate wrote:Overall, I give it a 3.8.

I was on the border of Redneckville.

The lake was amazingly clear...because of the zebra mussels, which cut two people on my trip badly. Still, the visibility was amazing, especially when I was out in the middle and went underwater, was actually a little spooky to be able to see that far into the abyss.

Shorts had amazing food. Ate there numerous times. Had someone compare them to Bells from 10 years ago, which seems accurate. They actually have a bartender working there now shoe worked at Bells for 10 years, which was funny. The beer I found to be hit-or-miss, lots of heavy ones that felt like a solid commitment to the toilet if I stayed with them. Loved the Stache Bender.

Lake was pretty chill, very little boat traffic.

The two gems of the trip:
The Blue Pelican, Holy Shit. Went twice, had the filet and the t-bone. **** yes. Had a bottle of $30 MI Pinot from around TC that was amazing. Loved the place.
Barnes County Park. A slice of Lake Michigan heaven. Great skinny beach, even saw coyote and bear tracks (fresh) on it when I went on a Wednesday and no one else was there.

Of course, went to Fishtown and went to town on that food, and hit Sleeping Bear when the fog was rolling it, it was a surreal once-in-a-lifetime experience. Also, a big F You to that in-shape dude who sprinted past me & my boy on The Climb. Suck it, I still heaved my way to the top!

All-in-all, love Up North, and will go back to Leelanau Penn. next time, might even buy up there.

If you are up in the Leland area, there is a great beach at Leelanau State Park (not at the lighthouse/campground). The entrance is by Mud Lake. It's a little hike through the woods, but you eventually pop out onto Cathead Bay. If it's a windy day, there are some great waves there...and it's never crowded.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 14 Jul 2014 - 8:21

Flying into Traverse on 8/30 for the week. I hope it isn't snowing at that time.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down