Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MillerCoors buys another craft brewery

+7
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
InTenSity
tGreenWay
NigelUno
11 posters

Go down

MillerCoors buys another craft brewery Empty MillerCoors buys another craft brewery

Post by NigelUno 2016-07-20, 16:23

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.com/2016/07/20/millercoors-takes-majority-stake-in-athens-terrapin-beer-co/

Adds Terrapin to go with Leinenkugel and Blue Moon (among others).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MillerCoors buys another craft brewery Empty Re: MillerCoors buys another craft brewery

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 16:26

i dread the day the Michigan beers start getting bought up. I know it's already happened to Founder's, but it's probably only a matter of time before others fall.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

MillerCoors buys another craft brewery Empty Re: MillerCoors buys another craft brewery

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 16:27

Also, I'll cry the day Dogfish Head gets sold.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-07-20, 16:33

Dammit! Hopsecutioner was a good beer, too. I liked Terrapin. I think DFH is in it for the long haul, they've probably been approached multiple times already. Ballast Point was also bought.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 16:42

InTenSity wrote:Dammit! Hopsecutioner was a good beer, too. I liked Terrapin. I think DFH is in it for the long haul, they've probably been approached multiple times already. Ballast Point was also bought.

Hope you're right about DFH. Hadn't heard about Ballast Point.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-07-20, 16:52

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Dammit! Hopsecutioner was a good beer, too. I liked Terrapin. I think DFH is in it for the long haul, they've probably been approached multiple times already. Ballast Point was also bought.

Ballast Point sells for $1 billion I'd fucking sell too. Holy shit, didn't realize they got that much until I googled it. Then again it was bought by the company that owns Corona.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-07-20, 16:52

Is Bell's partially owned by a major brewing company? Couldn't find it on their wiki.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 16:54

Death Roe wrote:Is Bell's partially owned by a major brewing company? Couldn't find it on their wiki.

That's Founder's. Modelo owns something like 49% now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-07-20, 16:55

Well at least the big guys aren't using the Microsoft 90's business model. Buy em up and shut em down.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-07-20, 16:55

I know Founder's, but I thought Bell's got into bidness with some BIG BEER company.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 16:57

tGreenWay wrote:
Death Roe wrote:Is Bell's partially owned by a major brewing company? Couldn't find it on their wiki.

I was wrong about Modelo and the percentage of ownership. The company Mahou-San Miguel bought a 30% stake, per Wikipedia.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-07-20, 16:58

Death Roe wrote:I know Founder's, but I thought Bell's got into bidness with some BIG BEER company.
I thought I read a few years ago that the founder was trying to buy back the stock from people. That started a rumor that he was going to sell out. I don't know enough about it though to recall an article from a few years ago.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 17:01

Death Roe wrote:I know Founder's, but I thought Bell's got into bidness with some BIG BEER company.

I've never heard that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 17:02

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Ballast Point sells for $1 billion I'd fucking sell too. Holy shit, didn't realize they got that much until I googled it. Then again it was bought by the company that owns Corona.

Yeah, if someone comes to me offering that kind of money, I'm gone, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-07-20, 17:23

tGreenWay wrote:i dread the day the Michigan beers start getting bought up. I know it's already happened to Founder's, but it's probably only a matter of time before others fall.

Like I said in another thread, fuck mergers and acquisitions. Great for the sellers, generally terrible for consumers.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 18:01

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:i dread the day the Michigan beers start getting bought up. I know it's already happened to Founder's, but it's probably only a matter of time before others fall.

Like I said in another thread, fuck mergers and acquisitions. Great for the sellers, generally terrible for consumers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 18:02

Floyd Robertson wrote:

If some corporation approaches you offering to acquire and merge with you, I hope you're strong enough to walk away from the deal. A corporate Floyd just won't be the same for us.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-20, 18:06

M&A are great if it's a commitable offer and you're the seller/founder.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-07-20, 18:06

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

If some corporation approaches you offering to acquire and merge with you, I hope you're strong enough to walk away from the deal. A corporate Floyd just won't be the same for us.

Oh, I'd sellout in a heartbeat. F the customers of Floyd Inc.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-20, 18:06

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

No one comes in and takes our librarian.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-07-21, 15:51

tGreenWay wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The company that owns a part of Founders has little to no US distribution.

Think Bells is still flying solo.
Just Larry Bell, his investors and the bank(s).

I was wrong about Modelo and the percentage of ownership. The company Mahou-San Miguel bought a 30% stake, per Wikipedia.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-07-21, 15:52

tGreenWay wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The company that bought part of Founders has little or no US distribution. They wanted Founders to export to their foreign markets.

Think Larry Bell still is flying solo. Bells is owned by Larry, his investors and the bank(s).
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-07-21, 22:57

InTenSity wrote:Well at least the big guys aren't using the Microsoft 90's business model. Buy em up and shut em down.
Seems like the big boys are buying them up and increasing distribution channels. I for one and am very pleased that I can now buy Ballast Point and Deschutes at my local Kroger here in Michigan. That was not possible before those heavyweight breweries cashed in. Hopefully the recipes and quality stay the same as micro breweries get bought up.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-07-21, 23:26

By-Tor wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Well at least the big guys aren't using the Microsoft 90's business model. Buy em up and shut em down.
Seems like the big boys are buying them up and increasing distribution channels. I for one and am very pleased that I can now buy Ballast Point and Deschutes at my local Kroger here in Michigan. That was not possible before those heavyweight breweries cashed in. Hopefully the recipes and quality stay the same as micro breweries get bought up.

Unlikely that happens...hopefully the CRAFT breweries hold out as long as possible and other start ups continue this "golden age of great beer"...:)
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-07-22, 00:50

Craft brewers reach a point where they need a partner or stagnate.
Bell's has done a great job of expanding and staying independent.

Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) went national, bought a brewery in Ohio and still gets offers from larger competitors.

I don't think craft brewers are going away but the beer sector is getting saturated and the big guys realized they were losing sales to craft guys. They were in a buy 'em or lose their ass crosshairs.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-07-22, 01:02

I lol at dudes like most of you that get all pissy at "who is making my brew". If you like it, drink it. If you don't, don't fucking drink it. Who gives a flying fuck if it is a one guy start up, or a multinational conglomerate making your favorite suds? Jesus....

If you want craft brew, support the one guy start ups in about 130 different locations in Michigan right now, and stop fucking bitching to me about "millers" & "Bud" and shit. Christ..... Find something you like and drink it like you own a pair, and who gives a fuck if Hippy McHippsterface thinks you are a fucking sell out for drinking your favorite swill without choking it down.

Jesus....... Seems like common fucking sense to any self confident individual, but I guess everyone needs practical advice at some point for some reason.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-22, 02:22

Ty you botched that post like michigans punter bro. Like you didn't even address WHY people dislike the mergers. Just went on an irrelevant rant.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-07-22, 04:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Ty you botched that post like michigans punter bro. Like you didn't even address WHY people dislike the mergers. Just went on an irrelevant rant.

You got it backwards, bro.  If you fucking anti-establishment types were so fucking cool = make your own fucking beer and shut the fuck up.  That is my point.  Otherwise, I don't want to hear a single one of  you fucking cry babies cry.

The point of this thread is that you are all pissy because the little guy isn't making your beer for you anymore, but that the big boy is..  Well, get off your ass, buy a bucket, some malt, some yeast, some hops, some bottles, some form of refrigeration and fucking do it yourself if that is what makes your fucking twigs and berries tingle.  I've made my own beer for years, and years, and years.  Probably for longer than dipshit idiots like you have been alive.  How could I possibly be missing the point of this thread?

Do it yourself, or shut the fuck up.  That is my point.  Nobody is going to do shit for you, you god damn idiots.  But then when they do, and you buy it and pay for it anyway, you get all pissed because it isn't the right way and you get all pissy.  Jesus.  This generation of ingrates is insufferable.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-07-22, 08:07

tTy wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Ty you botched that post like michigans punter bro. Like you didn't even address WHY people dislike the mergers. Just went on an irrelevant rant.

You got it backwards, bro.  If you fucking anti-establishment types were so fucking cool = make your own fucking beer and shut the fuck up.  That is my point.  Otherwise, I don't want to hear a single one of  you fucking cry babies cry.

The point of this thread is that you are all pissy because the little guy isn't making your beer for you anymore, but that the big boy is..  Well, get off your ass, buy a bucket, some malt, some yeast, some hops, some bottles, some form of refrigeration and fucking do it yourself if that is what makes your fucking twigs and berries tingle.  I've made my own beer for years, and years, and years.  Probably for longer than dipshit idiots like you have been alive.  How could I possibly be missing the point of this thread?

Do it yourself, or shut the fuck up.  That is my point.  Nobody is going to do shit for you, you god damn idiots.  But then when they do, and you buy it and pay for it anyway, you get all pissed because it isn't the right way and you get all pissy.  Jesus.  This generation of ingrates is insufferable.

And here I thought you were a champion of the small locally owned businesses. I am disappointed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-07-22, 09:22

Here is my point. When I hear that breweries are bought up by the bigger guys, I don't want to support a business that is no longer wholly US owned. Miller, Bud, are no longer owned by Americans. Even if the beer stays the same, the profit is going out. So I switch to a different brand and make due. I don't go crusading that to everyone, but it is a choice I make. Kind of like how I won't do business at a BP gas station, unless I'm about to run out and there are no other choices.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-07-22, 11:13

InTenSity wrote:Here is my point. When I hear that breweries are bought up by the bigger guys, I don't want to support a business that is no longer wholly US owned. Miller, Bud, are no longer owned by Americans. Even if the beer stays the same, the profit is going out. So I switch to a different brand and make due. I don't go crusading that to everyone, but it is a choice I make. Kind of like how I won't do business at a BP gas station, unless I'm about to run out and there are no other choices.
And I couldnt care less who owns Ballast Point now. Is it ISIS? Don't care. And if quality goes down eventually then I will buy even more Shorts or OddSide or whatever other brewery comes along.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-22, 11:15

tTy wrote:

God damn you are insufferable. Fuck off guy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down