Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings

+33
Bill Cain
y2kMgrad
Turtleneck
Cameron
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
I.B. Fine
steveschneider
TheReal_LWS
AvgMSUJoe
GirbaudJeans
Banks2Mason
goodbar
DWags
Death Roe
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
InTenSity
loogoldham
Watch Out Pylon!
aualum06
CORNER BLITZ
Tim Wakefield
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
The Pantry
tGreenWay
Senior Dickfist
Dendrobates
37 posters

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Ramblings

Post by Guest 2019-01-04, 17:51

Random Ramblings - Page 9 Roulet10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-01-04, 21:22

I don't like Mexican beer
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-04, 21:23

Tim Wakefield wrote:I don't like Mexican beer

Which did/have you tried though?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-01-04, 21:38

Muchas

Modelo, corona, puke. Tecate is generic enough to be tolerable. Just cracked a case of this stuff and it tastes like piss

Random Ramblings - Page 9 66f13510
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-01-04, 23:47

Tim Wakefield wrote:Muchas

Modelo, corona, puke. Tecate is generic enough to be tolerable. Just cracked a case of this stuff and it tastes like piss

Is your table a door?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-05, 00:04

Tim Wakefield wrote:Muchas

You bought a case of stuff you never tried before?

Dos Equis brown bottle is good. Green bottle, not so much.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-01-05, 00:08

Gf is watching someone's dog for the weekend so we're basically getting paid to chill in a nice house by the lake and drink their beer
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-05, 04:49

Tim Wakefield wrote:Gf is watching someone's dog for the weekend so we're basically getting paid to chill in a nice house by the lake and drink their beer

Never say you don’t like free beer. No matter what kind. It’s free.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-05, 16:20

The next person that post a picture of a shirt on a social media outlet with a saying on it that was obviously just a paste job and not a real shirt gets punched in the face.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-05, 16:38

kingstonlake wrote:The next person that post a picture of a shirt on a social media outlet with a saying on it that was obviously just a paste job and not a real shirt gets punched in the face.

Isn’t that pretty much how it’s all done these days? I see it a lot when looking at fanatics and other sites for MSU and Tigers shirts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-05, 20:39

My random rambling. Took the family downtown today looking for something to do. It was awesome! Man it really gets better every time I go down there. We fucked around in the Campus Martius area checking out the ice rink and pop up shops etc and then my daughter mentioned something about my niece telling us about the mummy she saw at the museum. So we were like fuck it, let's hop the Q Line down Woodward and go to the DIA and see the mummy. I honestly haven't been to the DIA since I was taking field trips in Elementary school. I'm no art buff but I was fairly blown away. I would have liked to have spent more time looking around but the kids could only handle like an hour or so (check this one out, this was almost full wall size and I couldn't stop looking at it and picking up new details - https://www.dia.org/art/collection/object/court-death-56658 )

Little one was getting tired and hungry and being a diva and wouldn't agree to go anywhere cool to eat. Couldn't sell her on pizza at Jolly Pumpkin or Hopcat or anything. She wanted noodles. Fuck it then let's take the streetcar back and we'll go home. We got back down towards Campus Martius and I said to them 'hey, you guys want hot dogs?' and for some reason they both jumped at it. Lafayette initiation. Couldn't get them to eat coneys but the boy slammed 3 dogs and I got out of there for < $30. If we would have gone to Buddy's it prob would have cost me $80.

Anyway, awesome day in Detroit. If you don't get down there often (like me), take the kids, it's a lot of fun.

Weird side note - I think the new school homeless are kicking out the OG homeless in terms of begging. You used to see the same 15-20 people down there. Now there's a bunch of white people begging. Where the hell did these folks come from? Do homeless people migrate from city to city based on where they think they can get more handouts? Are these opioid epidemic people from the burbs that lost control?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-05, 20:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My random rambling. Took the family downtown today looking for something to do. It was awesome! Man it really gets better every time I go down there. We fucked around in the Campus Martius area checking out the ice rink and pop up shops etc and then my daughter mentioned something about my niece telling us about the mummy she saw at the museum. So we were like fuck it, let's hop the Q Line down Woodward and go to the DIA and see the mummy. I honestly haven't been to the DIA since I was taking field trips in Elementary school. I'm no art buff but I was fairly blown away. I would have liked to have spent more time looking around but the kids could only handle like an hour or so (check this one out, this was almost full wall size and I couldn't stop looking at it and picking up new details - https://www.dia.org/art/collection/object/court-death-56658 )

Little one was getting tired and hungry and being a diva and wouldn't agree to go anywhere cool to eat. Couldn't sell her on pizza at Jolly Pumpkin or Hopcat or anything. She wanted noodles. Fuck it then let's take the streetcar back and we'll go home. We got back down towards Campus Martius and I said to them 'hey, you guys want hot dogs?' and for some reason they both jumped at it. Lafayette initiation. Couldn't get them to eat coneys but the boy slammed 3 dogs and I got out of there for < $30. If we would have gone to Buddy's it prob would have cost me $80.

Anyway, awesome day in Detroit. If you don't get down there often (like me), take the kids, it's a lot of fun.

Weird side note - I think the new school homeless are kicking out the OG homeless in terms of begging. You used to see the same 15-20 people down there. Now there's a bunch of white people begging. Where the hell did these folks come from? Do homeless people migrate from city to city based on where they think they can get more handouts? Are these opioid epidemic people from the burbs that lost control?

Maybe it’s a union contract thing.

But seriously, very cool day it sounds like. Enjoy those, before you know it....,
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-05, 21:08

Wags you can still take your girls down there. You guys could even eat at one of the awesome restaurants that are not geared for little assholes like mine.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-05, 21:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wags you can still take your girls down there. You guys could even eat at one of the awesome restaurants that are not geared for little assholes like mine.

We do but it’s rare they come home and aren’t with friends on weekends. 21 & 19. They love us but rarely get the chance to do family hang outs. It’s gods payback for the wife and I not hanging with parents at that age. I think Harry Chaplin made a song about it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans 2019-01-06, 09:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My random rambling. Took the family downtown today looking for something to do. It was awesome! Man it really gets better every time I go down there. We fucked around in the Campus Martius area checking out the ice rink and pop up shops etc and then my daughter mentioned something about my niece telling us about the mummy she saw at the museum. So we were like fuck it, let's hop the Q Line down Woodward and go to the DIA and see the mummy. I honestly haven't been to the DIA since I was taking field trips in Elementary school. I'm no art buff but I was fairly blown away. I would have liked to have spent more time looking around but the kids could only handle like an hour or so (check this one out, this was almost full wall size and I couldn't stop looking at it and picking up new details - https://www.dia.org/art/collection/object/court-death-56658 )

My fathers client painted that.
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-06, 12:00

GirbaudJeans wrote:

My fathers client painted that.

It was funny, going to the DIA reminded me of when your mom was the 1 armed picture lady.

Also when we were in the atrium area looking at that giant Diego Rivera mural there were 3 people standing off to my side who were actually interpreting different pieces of it and critiquing it out loud. I laughed inside thinking about how angry that would have made you.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-06, 12:07

Here is another ramble. Fucking Christmas lights are a scam. Yeah I like to put them up. My kids like them. We are delightfully tacky yet unrefined like Hooters. But fuck, what a racket. Yeah we know that the old incandescent light strands sucked. Basically they were throw away year to year because one bulb going out takes out 1/3 - the entire set. Fuck those things.

So let's upgrade you to LEDs. Ok good, great grand. Buy $200 worth of LED white lights 7-8 years ago and hang them only to find out that LED at the time didn't have a solution for "warm" white lights and they look like the goddamned Night King's eyes from GoT. Hate those things.

Ok within a couple of years decided to switch to color LEDs. All well and good for a few years. But then a strand goes out and I need more and I want more coverage so I go to buy more of the same so they match. GE 100 strand color LED net lights. Well guess what? GED has stopped making that particular product and now they have NEW color 100 strand LED net lights. Obviously they don't fucking match the old ones so I have to buy more of the new expensive ones so they match.

Scam.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-06, 12:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Here is another ramble. Fucking Christmas lights are a scam. Yeah I like to put them up. My kids like them. We are delightfully tacky yet unrefined like Hooters. But fuck, what a racket. Yeah we know that the old incandescent light strands sucked. Basically they were throw away year to year because one bulb going out takes out 1/3 - the entire set. Fuck those things.

So let's upgrade you to LEDs. Ok good, great grand. Buy $200 worth of LED white lights 7-8 years ago and hang them only to find out that LED at the time didn't have a solution for "warm" white lights and they look like the goddamned Night King's eyes from GoT. Hate those things.

Ok within a couple of years decided to switch to color LEDs. All well and good for a few years. But then a strand goes out and I need more and I want more coverage so I go to buy more of the same so they match. GE 100 strand color LED net lights. Well guess what? GED has stopped making that particular product and now they have NEW color 100 strand LED net lights. Obviously they don't fucking match the old ones so I have to buy more of the new expensive ones so they match.

Scam.

Stick to candles.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-01-06, 12:49

Homeless people do migrate a lot. That’s why they call them transients. I’m happy to hear about Detroit. It has so much potential to do like Pittsburgh has and really rejuvenate. The sheer size of the city is going to be a problem though. If they could dump some of those neighborhoods they annexed back in the day, it would be great.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-06, 12:59

Rocinante wrote:Homeless people do migrate a lot. That’s why they call them transients. I’m happy to hear about Detroit. It has so much potential to do like Pittsburgh has and really rejuvenate. The sheer size of the city is going to be a problem though. If they could dump some of those neighborhoods they annexed back in the day, it would be great.

I love down town. But I always get the feeling until families are willing to move there it doesn’t ever fully recover
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-06, 13:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Here is another ramble. Fucking Christmas lights are a scam. Yeah I like to put them up. My kids like them. We are delightfully tacky yet unrefined like Hooters. But fuck, what a racket. Yeah we know that the old incandescent light strands sucked. Basically they were throw away year to year because one bulb going out takes out 1/3 - the entire set. Fuck those things.

Scam.

Random Ramblings - Page 9 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-06, 13:05

DWags wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Homeless people do migrate a lot. That’s why they call them transients.  I’m happy to hear about Detroit. It has so much potential to do like Pittsburgh has and really rejuvenate. The sheer size of the city is going to be a problem though.  If they could dump some of those neighborhoods they annexed back in the day, it would be great.

I love down town.  But I always get the feeling until families are willing to move there it doesn’t ever fully recover

This. Families won't move back until the schools are viewed as decent. Pittsburgh is ahead of the curve here, plenty of good neighborhoods that seem to have turned the corner. Cleveland is heading that direction, despite the politicians, but schools suck which is limiting families to those that can afford private schools.

Detroit is way bigger and that will be an obstacle. What was Detroit at it's peak, close to 2 million? Cleveland was a bit over a million, don't know about Pittsburgh, but I think it was less. Now they're less than half that, with the same area, a lot of infrastructure to maintain. That was an advantage for Pitt, smaller city.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-06, 13:16

I.B. Fine wrote:
DWags wrote:

I love down town.  But I always get the feeling until families are willing to move there it doesn’t ever fully recover

This. Families won't move back until the schools are viewed as decent. Pittsburgh is ahead of the curve here, plenty of good neighborhoods that seem to have turned the corner. Cleveland is heading that direction, despite the politicians, but schools suck which is limiting families to those that can afford private schools.

Detroit is way bigger and that will be an obstacle. What was Detroit at it's peak, close to 2 million? Cleveland was a bit over a million, don't know about Pittsburgh, but I think it was less. Now they're less than half that, with the same area, a lot of infrastructure to maintain. That was an advantage for Pitt, smaller city.

Yes, was around 1.9 million at it's peak. Now around 675,000.

Now the 21st largest city. Peaked at #4 in the 1940s. Was #5 until the 80s.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-06, 13:24

LooseGoose wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I know it would cost billions but how great would it be to eliminate the blight and turn those square miles to farm land.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-01-06, 13:29

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I know it would cost billions but how great would it be to eliminate the blight and turn those square miles to farm land.

That’s been floated for a while. It would probably take some major eminent domain legislation. Move out the few still living there and compensate them accordingly. There would be lots of lawsuits. But if once you got it cleared you sold the land cheap, people would certainly buy it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-06, 19:14

I don't know. Educate me. I find it hard to believe that "families" that live in downtown Chicago, Pitt, NYC, wherever.....actually send their kids to Public Schools. Do they?

I don't really think that's how these things work. I think it's kinds more like....downtown becomes a destination. People start moving into downtown and gobbling up space. People start realizing that there's no space downtown so the surrounding neighborhoods in city limits (i.e. midtown, corktown, etc) start getting populated. Then housing in adjacent areas becomes in demand and stock goes up, and people start moving into those spaces.

And at the end of the day as the City becomes more en vogue, you're left with some cool neighborhoods directly adjacent to the City. The City center isself being the tits. Some neighborhoods becoming increasingly more sketchy with violence as you move away from the City center and hip neighborhoods. And then the suburbs with better school districts.

Isn't that every City ever? Or am I just #DetroitStrong?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-06, 20:04

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

IIRC, MSU was working w/Detroit on that very idea a couple of years ago. No idea if the project stalled or is moving forward.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-06, 20:06

LooseGoose wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

It still bottles the mind to think Detroit is 300+ years old.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-06, 20:12

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

It still bottles the mind to think Detroit is 300+ years old.

30 years younger than St. Ignace....which by the way is up north under all definitions on this board.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-06, 20:13

Rocinante wrote:Homeless people do migrate a lot. That’s why they call them transients. I’m happy to hear about Detroit. It has so much potential to do like Pittsburgh has and really rejuvenate. The sheer size of the city is going to be a problem though. If they could dump some of those neighborhoods they annexed back in the day, it would be great.

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here or not, so sorry if it’s a repeat. Mrs. GreenWay and I went to a Caribbean destination wedding a few Decembers ago. The first stop was St.John, USVI, and the last stop was a desolate island with fewer than a couple hundred year-round residents. Very little to do but snorkel or tan, and drink heavily. We actually had to charter a small plane to get to this place, because there’s only one regular flight in each week, and we picked the wrong day to travel.
Anyway, I bring this up because you mentioned transients. What I learned on that trip was that Craxy Richard, the guy who plays with fire and chainsaws every year at the EL Art Fest, spends his time on this island every December until late April. Sleeps on the beach, creates his own little home under some brush near a bar, then sweeps the beach 2-3 times per day in exchange for beer and a shower.
Wild way to live, and Richard obviously didn’t use the shower perk too often.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-07, 10:31

tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here or not, so sorry if it’s a repeat. Mrs. GreenWay and I went to a Caribbean destination wedding a few Decembers ago. The first stop was St.John, USVI, and the last stop was a desolate island with fewer than a couple hundred year-round residents. Very little to do but snorkel or tan, and drink heavily. We actually had to charter a small plane to get to this place, because there’s only one regular flight in each week, and we picked the wrong day to travel.
Anyway, I bring this up because you mentioned transients. What I learned on that trip was that Craxy Richard, the guy who plays with fire and chainsaws every year at the EL Art Fest, spends his time on this island every December until late April. Sleeps on the beach, creates his own little home under some brush near a bar, then sweeps the beach 2-3 times per day in exchange for beer and a shower.

Crazy Richard is a legend(ary pest) at Big Bamboo. He'll burn your name into a piece of driftwood with his magnifying glass for you (and $20)
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-09, 20:05

Recently got a new laptop with a Type-C USB port...same as the charging port on my Samsung S8.  Bought a cable that is Type-C on both ends.  Phone charges shockingly fast.  Has gone from 5% to 85% in two hours...roughly 3-4 times faster than my old USB cable.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-10, 15:14

My car is back at the dealer because it's making a noise.

They gave me a brand spankin new (3 miles) '18 Tahoe as a loaner. It's gotta be an LT because no leather but it's kind of slick. It's one of those blackout, de-badged deals with off road tires and black wheels. Dammit I'm sort of getting the itch to get a new car. I like mine and just sunk some money into it, need to resist that urge.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-10, 15:17

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Crazy Richard is a legend(ary pest) at Big Bamboo. He'll burn your name into a piece of driftwood with his magnifying glass for you (and $20)

IIRC, he did the wood burning thing for these newlyweds, too. And, he’s actually a good guy to have a beer with. Random Ramblings - Page 9 969504605
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-10, 15:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My car is back at the dealer because it's making a noise.

They gave me a brand spankin new (3 miles) '18 Tahoe as a loaner. It's gotta be an LT because no leather but it's kind of slick. It's one of those blackout, de-badged deals with off road tires and black wheels. Dammit I'm sort of getting the itch to get a new car. I like mine and just sunk some money into it, need to resist that urge.

Random Ramblings - Page 9 502811600 Sounds like this repair is getting extra costly.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-01-11, 16:01

Oregon begins killing sea lions after relocation fails

This is weird. F'in sea lions going fresh water for dinner.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-11, 18:59

Don't go on many company trips anymore but have one scheduled next week for a quote line-up in Michigan's lovely northern lower peninsula. Have been to this particular plant before but went up there solo. This trip will be different. Our new sales person will be joining me.

Maybe early/mid-30's and she's quite stunning. At least 5'10" and very slender. Rumor has it that she's a bikini model in her spare time. Have found no proof of that so far but it's completely believable. She walks like a fashion model...impeccable posture and sort of a strut.

Don't think she knows much about our business yet but she's pretty cool. Stopped by my cube this afternoon to discuss travel plans. She actually suggested driving up the night before so we could be at the plant early morning. Kinda blew my mind because it's an easy one day trip. Told her we'll just drive up in the morning.

I'm old enough to be her dad. 6-7 hours in the car is gonna be weird. Can't even imagine how the conversation will go.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-11, 19:02

When she gets out of the car when you stop, ask her if she minds if you smell her seat.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-11, 19:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:When she gets out of the car when you stop, ask her if she minds if you smell her seat.
Random Ramblings - Page 9 502811600

Thing is, she's not married. She'd be a trophy wife. A few of us suspect she only plays with the other team. Unless she offers up information I'll be biting my tongue all that time on the road, which is why I offered to drive.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-11, 20:34

The Pantry wrote:Don't go on many company trips anymore but have one scheduled next week for a quote line-up in Michigan's lovely northern lower peninsula.  Have been to this particular plant before but went up there solo.   This trip will be different.  Our new sales person will be joining me.

Maybe early/mid-30's and she's quite stunning.  At least 5'10" and very slender.  Rumor has it that she's a bikini model in her spare time.  Have found no proof of that so far but it's completely believable.  She walks like a fashion model...impeccable posture and sort of a strut.

Don't think she knows much about our business yet but she's pretty cool.  Stopped by my cube this afternoon to discuss travel plans.  She actually suggested driving up the night before so we could be at the plant early morning.  Kinda blew my mind because it's an easy one day trip.  Told her we'll just drive up in the morning.

I'm old enough to be her dad.  6-7 hours in the car is gonna be weird.  Can't even imagine how the conversation will go.
Want me to leave you a pie in Grayling?  I could make you a nice cherry pie, you could play some Warrant and take it from there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next