Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II

+6
DWags
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
NigelUno
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II Empty Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 9:06 am

https://smc68az.wordpress.com/ooops-she-did-it-again-paula-lavignes-dishonest-responses-to-richard-deitsch-raise-new-ethical-and-journalistic-malpractice-concerns/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II Empty Re: Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 11:25 am

About to dive into this one.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II Empty Re: Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 11:29 am

Can someone give me the cliff notes?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 11:31 am

steveschneider wrote:About to dive into this one.

Didn't live up to the hype.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That August 20th 2018, 11:42 am

Zzzzzzzz
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher August 20th 2018, 11:50 am

Cliff notes - he's trying to queue up the case for someone to file a defamation lawsuit and tries to establish some of the points necessary for that type of lawsuit to hold up.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante August 20th 2018, 11:55 am

Oh my god it's like the g.h.o.s.t. of Mitch Albom has infected him.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 11:57 am

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:About to dive into this one.

Pretty unreadable, couldn't make it past the first couple of pages. Tempe if you are lurking, I think you should save your powder for when Lavigne comes out with her next article.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 12:12 pm

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Pretty unreadable, couldn't make it past the first couple of pages. Tempe if you are lurking, I think you should save your powder for when Lavigne comes out with her next article.

The big lie that TempeTantrum has been teasing for awhile was underwhelming.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 12:24 pm

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The big lie that TempeTantrum has been teasing for awhile was underwhelming.

I don’t even remember what it was. The article couldn’t hold my attention.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 20th 2018, 12:43 pm

I thought it was fine and as WBH says, I think he laid out the possibility of defamation. I think he wrote it for other lawyers and not lay people. But overall well done. It does give anyone who is involved in it a view as to how a defamation suit is possible, and it does point out how the journalist was less than honest in her compilation and reporting.

If you’re all expecting penthouse forum you’re not getting it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! August 20th 2018, 2:13 pm

Not enough skiing or hiking stories.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante August 20th 2018, 2:20 pm

DWags wrote:I thought it was fine and as WBH says, I think he laid out the possibility of defamation. I think he wrote it for other lawyers and not lay people. But overall well done. It does give anyone who is involved in it a view as to how a defamation suit is possible, and it does point out how the journalist was less than honest in her compilation and reporting.

Neutral Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II 3434560931
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 2:46 pm

DWags wrote:I thought it was fine and as WBH says, I think he laid out the possibility of defamation. I think he wrote it for other lawyers and not lay people. But overall well done. It does give anyone who is involved in it a view as to how a defamation suit is possible, and it does point out how the journalist was less than honest in her compilation and reporting.

I'm only a little bit into it (will finish later, probably after work), but the timing of things does appear to show that ESPN (or at least their lawyers) first decided to try to draw a correlation between the Corely/King/Vance and Nassar, and THEN sent Paula out to find the evidence to support that. And it's not like it was an editor sitting around saying, let's go dig something up to get a story, but rather it was lawyers working on a lawsuit between ESPN and MSU that started. That adds a huge conflict of interest on top of everything else.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 3:04 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm only a little bit into it (will finish later, probably after work), but the timing of things does appear to show that ESPN (or at least their lawyers) first decided to try to draw a correlation between the Corely/King/Vance and Nassar, and THEN sent Paula out to find the evidence to support that. And it's not like it was an editor sitting around saying, let's go dig something up to get a story, but rather it was lawyers working on a lawsuit between ESPN and MSU that started. That adds a huge conflict of interest on top of everything else.

I believe a FOIA request was made for the records. MSU denied it. ESPN/Paula hired some lawyers to sue to get it. What is the conflict of interest?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 4:13 pm

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I believe a FOIA request was made for the records. MSU denied it. ESPN/Paula hired some lawyers to sue to get it. What is the conflict of interest?
That ESPN then assigned a reporter to fabricate a story that agrees with a claim made up by the lawyers in order to try to win the lawsuit.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 5:13 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That ESPN then assigned a reporter to fabricate a story that agrees with a claim made up by the lawyers in order to try to win the lawsuit.

Huh, I don't know I'm trying to wrap my head around the type of coordination and scheming it would take on ESPNs part to pull that off. I've seen it batted around that this report is 'Alex Jones' like and I can see why people are saying that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 5:24 pm

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Huh, I don't know I'm trying to wrap my head around the type of coordination and scheming it would take on ESPNs part to pull that off. I've seen it batted around that this report is 'Alex Jones' like and I can see why people are saying that.
Why does it take any type of coordination or scheming to send an investigative reporter to investigate something? That's literally their job.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 6:00 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

If I'm putting this together correctly, MSU actually sued ESPN (so MSU wouldn't have to release records with names). ESPN didn't assign a reporter after the fact. Paula was part of the counterclaim already. The OTL story that followed had nothing to do with winning the lawsuit. It was already over.

I think.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 6:03 pm

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

If I'm putting this together correctly, MSU actually sued ESPN (so MSU wouldn't have to release records with names). ESPN didn't assign a reporter after the fact. Paula was part of the counterclaim already. The OTL story that followed had nothing to do with winning the lawsuit. It was already over.

I think.
What does/did the lawsuit have to do with Nassar?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 6:08 pm

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think.
Whether or not Paula was part of the counterclaim, I don't believe that she's a freelance writer. ESPN still has to assign her to stories, and can pull her off stories. The fact that the OTL story ended up not impacting the lawsuit doesn't mean that the lawsuit had nothing to do with her starting a story that would tie Nassar to Dantonio (and later Izzo).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 7:36 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think.
Whether or not Paula was part of the counterclaim, I don't believe that she's a freelance writer. ESPN still has to assign her to stories, and can pull her off stories. The fact that the OTL story ended up not impacting the lawsuit doesn't mean that the lawsuit had nothing to do with her starting a story that would tie Nassar to Dantonio (and later Izzo).

What you put right here I don't buy for a second.

The timing for the release of the OTL report was when the story was HOT and blowing up on the national stage. It was an incomplete story she had been sitting on for a while but they struck when the iron was hot.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 7:47 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think.

The story wasn't a result of the counterclaim and the FOIA request.

The FOIA request and counterclaim were a result of the story.

Part of the story was that MSU was covering shit up. Not releasing names feeds into that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 8:14 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think.

Nothing?

MSU sued ESPN (so they wouldn't have to release the names of the football players).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 20th 2018, 8:51 pm

Here we go

https://twitter.com/ryanschuiling/status/1031704725748678656
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 9:19 pm

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

The timing for the release of the OTL report was when the story was HOT and blowing up on the national stage. It was an incomplete story she had been sitting on for a while but they struck when the iron was hot.
What I wrote there doesn't have anything to do with her sitting on it. I think both happened.

In 2015, Paula wrote about how MSU athletes receive no special treatment from the criminal justice system. Between that and the Corely/King/Vance incident in early 2017, did she look into anything about MSU, or any reports of interviews that she did about any past incidents involving the football or basketball programs? I don't recall hearing of any, but if someone knows of something, let me know.

From what I can remember, her interviews with Allswede, Schaner, etc., which was the crux of her story about this "culture" all took place in the summer of 2017, starting not long after ESPN's lawyers drew this tie.

By the time she finished the story, probably late summer/early fall last year, the lawsuit was dismissed, so they didn't need to release anything then. Or maybe the lawyers saw what she had come up with and would never consider using such nonsense in a legal proceeding. Either way, she had all this work, and the Nassar stuff was building and building, so they sat on it until the peak ratings time.

I realize that I'm making some suppositions here (hey, at least I don't claim to be a journalist, let alone have millions of people believing what I say). But ESPN's lawyers are the first to publicly attempt to tie Dantonio to Nassar. Maybe they had some information, maybe the background work by Paula had already started. On the other hand, Paula and ESPN did have an axe to grind against MSU. And when the article contains so many lies and blatant omissions of important facts in order to grind that axe, it's difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt on their motives to begin with.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 20th 2018, 9:33 pm

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Whether or not Paula was part of the counterclaim, I don't believe that she's a freelance writer.  ESPN still has to assign her to stories, and can pull her off stories.  The fact that the OTL story ended up not impacting the lawsuit doesn't mean that the lawsuit had nothing to do with her starting a story that would tie Nassar to Dantonio (and later Izzo).

The story wasn't a result of the counterclaim and the FOIA request.

The FOIA request and counterclaim were a result of the story.

Part of the story was that MSU was covering shit up.  Not releasing names feeds into that.    
I know that you try to be overly obtuse, but come on.  The "story" that everyone is talking about and that they take exception with, and that Paula started working on after the lawsuit is not the fucking Corely/King/Vance story.  The story is the one linking Dantonio to Nassar, and creating these claims of a "culture of rape".  The first mention anywhere on public record (except maybe Mgoblog or twitter or some shit) is by the lawyers in response to the lawsuit.  Paula's work on building that case was after this.

I think very little of Paula, but no way in hell do I think that she is so stupid as to take a situation in which the players involved were immediately kicked off the team, that a staff member that knew about it was immediately suspended, and call that a cover up a mere 18 months after she discussed that MSU athletes get no preferential treatment from the criminal justice system.

Only idiots like Solari and UM schleps think that by Dantonio not breaking ethical (and perhaps legal) guidelines by not releasing the names of players that haven't been charged is a "cover up".  Especially when he clearly said that if they're charged, their names will be released, but that he can't release their names until they are charged.

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Nothing?

MSU sued ESPN (so they wouldn't have to release the names of the football players).

And yet in response to that lawsuit, the ESPN lawyers attempt to create this nexus between Nassar and Dantonio.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 9:49 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

What I wrote there doesn't have anything to do with her sitting on it.  I think both happened.

In 2015, Paula wrote about how MSU athletes receive no special treatment from the criminal justice system.  Between that and the Corely/King/Vance incident in early 2017, did she look into anything about MSU, or any reports of interviews that she did about any past incidents involving the football or basketball programs?  I don't recall hearing of any, but if someone knows of something, let me know.

From what I can remember, her interviews with Allswede, Schaner, etc., which was the crux of her story about this "culture" all took place in the summer of 2017, starting not long after ESPN's lawyers drew this tie.

By the time she finished the story, probably late summer/early fall last year, the lawsuit was dismissed, so they didn't need to release anything then.  Or maybe the lawyers saw what she had come up with and would never consider using such nonsense in a legal proceeding.  

The MSU v ESPN lawsuit was dismissed because the court ruled that MSU couldn't preemptively sue ESPN.  It had nothing to do with what she came up with.

http://www.splc.org/blog/splc/2017/08/0829espn

Court of Claims judge Cynthia Diane Stephens ruled that FOIA’s language was specific in granting parties who are denied records the chance to appeal that decision in court, not the other way around. Therefore, the act could not be used to justify the record-holding party preemptively suing those requesting the records.

“There is no reciprocal provision in the act granting a public body the type of ‘race-to-the-courthouse’ cause of action for which MSU advocates in this case, nor does the act in any sense permit a public body to preemptively sue a requesting person under the act.”
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 20th 2018, 10:01 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
And yet in response to that lawsuit, the ESPN lawyers attempt to create this nexus between Nassar and Dantonio.

Here is a statement from the lawyers (from the lawsuit):

Michigan State University is in the midst of an ongoing public controversy over allegations of sexual abuse on campus. This is a matter of intense public interest and concern that ranges from the criminal and civil proceedings against Dr. Larry Nassar alleging sexual abuse of female gymnasts under his care to at least one prosecution for sexual abuse and other allegations of sexual abuse against members of the football team.

That's pretty straight forward language. Do you really see a planned attack on MSU by the lawyers in that statement?

The connection was made by Paula when they put the pictures up.

Do you seriously think the lawyers instigated the whole story and Paula just works for them?

Come on.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 21st 2018, 10:25 am

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
What I wrote there doesn't have anything to do with her sitting on it.  I think both happened.

In 2015, Paula wrote about how MSU athletes receive no special treatment from the criminal justice system.  Between that and the Corely/King/Vance incident in early 2017, did she look into anything about MSU, or any reports of interviews that she did about any past incidents involving the football or basketball programs?  I don't recall hearing of any, but if someone knows of something, let me know.

By the time she finished the story, probably late summer/early fall last year, the lawsuit was dismissed, so they didn't need to release anything then.  Or maybe the lawyers saw what she had come up with and would never consider using such nonsense in a legal proceeding.  

The MSU v ESPN lawsuit was dismissed because the court ruled that MSU couldn't preemptively sue ESPN.  It had nothing to do with what she came up with.

Court of Claims judge Cynthia Diane Stephens ruled that FOIA’s language was specific in granting parties who are denied records the chance to appeal that decision in court, not the other way around. Therefore, the act could not be used to justify the record-holding party preemptively suing those requesting the records.

“There is no reciprocal provision in the act granting a public body the type of ‘race-to-the-courthouse’ cause of action for which MSU advocates in this case, nor does the act in any sense permit a public body to preemptively sue a requesting person under the act.”
No kidding. When did I say otherwise? In fact, I specifically said that they never used anything that came up.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 21st 2018, 10:32 am

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Michigan State University is in the midst of an ongoing public controversy over allegations of sexual abuse on campus. This is a matter of intense public interest and concern that ranges from the criminal and civil proceedings against Dr. Larry Nassar alleging sexual abuse of female gymnasts under his care to at least one prosecution for sexual abuse and other allegations of sexual abuse against members of the football team.

That's pretty straight forward language. Do you really see a planned attack on MSU by the lawyers in that statement?

Do you seriously think the lawyers instigated the whole story and Paula just works for them?

Come on.
You said yourself that the lawsuit has nothing to do with Nassar. Yet now you're defending them bringing it up in the lawsuit.

The lawyers and Paula both work for the same company, that's what I'm saying. A company that had a vested interest in drawing a link between the football program and the Nassar. This was first mentioned in the lawsuit, and while the lawsuit was being argued, Paula began her investigation. Based on the way they've pissed on journalistic ethics throughout this story, I don't see a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is no connection. It isn't remotely uncommon for a company involved in a dispute with another company to have their people (PR team, freelancers, etc.) try to dig up dirt on the opposition.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider August 21st 2018, 10:42 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Come on.
You said yourself that the lawsuit has nothing to do with Nassar. Yet now you're defending them bringing it up in the lawsuit.

The lawyers and Paula both work for the same company, that's what I'm saying. A company that had a vested interest in drawing a link between the football program and the Nassar. This was first mentioned in the lawsuit, and while the lawsuit was being argued, Paula began her investigation. Based on the way they've pissed on journalistic ethics throughout this story, I don't see a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is no connection. It isn't remotely uncommon for a company involved in a dispute with another company to have their people (PR team, freelancers, etc.) try to dig up dirt on the opposition.

I still haven't read the second report but will listen to the Shcuilling report podcast with Sean when it comes out.

If this is what Sean is getting at in his second report thought I think he's doing the same thing that I had issues with Lavigne in her OTL piece. She failed by trying to connect a bunch of dots that just weren't there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 21st 2018, 10:42 am

Arguing with Nigel is a waste of good pixels.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 21st 2018, 10:45 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

No kidding. When did I say otherwise? In fact, I specifically said that they never used anything that came up.

"Or maybe the lawyers saw what she had come up with and would never consider using such nonsense in a legal proceeding."
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 21st 2018, 10:59 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Come on.

The lawsuit (in which MSU sued ESPN) had nothing to do with Nassar. That is correct.

I quoted what the lawyers said. That doesn't mean I'm defending it.

You don't think Paula was working on a story until the lawyers came up with the "story"? She wanted the names of the football players. Pretty sure she put in a FOIA request, and then MSU sued, and then ESPN hired the lawyers.

So, you think at that point the lawyers hatched this plan to tie the two things together? It was a story Paula was already working on.

I mean...your belief is that these 2 lawyers concocted the whole scheme to tie Nassar with Dantonio (and Izzo)? And then they got Paula to do their dirty work?

Help me out. I don't get your point (if it's not that).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano August 21st 2018, 11:04 am

I admire the g Host for putting this much time into this stuff - I really do.. but, man, I can think of a lot more things I'd rather do with my free time.

that said, g Host is a great American.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 21st 2018, 11:30 am

Seriously. I don't get the conspiracy theory.

So, because one of the lawyers went to UM Law School (the other went to ND)...all of a sudden, they came up with the plan? They are the genesis of the Nassar/Dantonio/Izzo connection?

OK...

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan August 21st 2018, 11:57 am

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

"Or maybe the lawyers saw what she had come up with and would never consider using such nonsense in a legal proceeding."
Are you stupid, or are you just providing proof that I did, in fact, specifically say that the lawyers never used anything that came up in Paula's investigation? If the latter, thanks for confirming.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno August 21st 2018, 12:03 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Are you stupid, or are you just providing proof that I did, in fact, specifically say that the lawyers never used anything that came up in Paula's investigation? If the latter, thanks for confirming.

Your conspiracy theory is confusing. Let me know when you get it dialed in.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 21st 2018, 12:04 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Are you stupid,

Our old friend TempeTantrum finished Part II Giphy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next