Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc

3 posters

Go down

Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc Empty Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-13, 01:32

Wow. How is that not considered one of the greatest inspirational sports stories ever?
Did people just get bored with the story of a 60+ year old woman's failed attempts to swim from Cuba to Florida? Or do they doubt the legitimacy of the swim?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc Empty Re: Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-14, 00:36

Well I guess I have to have this conversation with myself. She first attempted it in 1978 and tried four more times between 2011-2013. She wanted to "prove to the other 60-year-olds that it is never too late to start your dreams". But I think it was much more personal than that. She was sexually molested as a child.
But people doubted the authenticity of her final successful swim. Open water swimmers are real sticklers for their rules on what constitutes a marathon swim (no wet suits, no hanging on the boat, etc.). She said she had to make her own rules for this swim because it is otherwise impossible. She covered up as much of her body as she could to protect herself from jellyfish. Seems completely fair to me. On one of her attempts she made it 10 miles and got stung so bad she treaded water for an hour while half her body was paralyzed and she could barely breath. Only to recover and try to swim another 90 miles.
She also covered a ton of miles quickly on the homestretch of the final swim and that was validated as plausible from favorable currents. But it was kind of messed up that they showed in-depth coverage of the failed attempts and then only show 5 minutes of coverage of the final successful attempt. But maybe she just got tired of trying to film the same ordeal all over again.
She is also a lesbian.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc Empty Re: Just finished watching the Diana Nyad Doc

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-11-14, 00:55

Never heard of it, not a fan
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-11-14, 04:30

is this even real?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down