Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

+11
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Turtleneck
aualum06
kingstonlake
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   Empty Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

Post by DWags Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 9:46

My order

1. Georgia
2. Oklahoma
3. OSU

But here’s the deal: Georgia has had two shots at Alabama, why give them a third?

OSU has wins over #’s 12 & 7. Oklahoma, at #13 WVU. I think if Oklahoma and OSU would play Oklahoma would win 55-50 but in the end OSU has better victories.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   Empty Re: Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

Post by Guest Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 9:55

I think UCF should get in. 2 years undefeated.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   Empty Re: Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 10:45

with 4 teams you should not be in the playoff if you don't win your conference
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 11:36

Georgia has not played Bama twice FYI. Their other loss was LSU.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 11:41

I’m split on ND. Undefeated is good but join a conference already.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 11:47

steveschneider wrote:I’m split on ND. Undefeated is good but join a conference already.

And Cherry picking an ACC schedule.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 12:05

CORNER BLITZ wrote:with 4 teams you should not be in the playoff if you don't win your conference

False
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 12:06

You guys way over value a conference title
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 12:37

If you look at where teams were ranked when they played, OSU has wins over #15 (TCU), #9 (PSU), #18 (MSU), #4 (UM), and #21 (NW). Oklahoma has wins over #13 (WVU) and #14 (UT). If you use the metric of where teams were ranked when they played, OSU is ahead of Oklahoma. Personally, I would like to see Bowling Green get that spot. They really deserve to be in the playoff.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:50; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Georgia has not played Bama twice FYI. Their other loss was LSU.

My bad.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:04

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Georgia has not played Bama twice FYI. Their other loss was LSU.

My bad.

Well...they had their shot in last year's NC game and again in this year's SEC championship game...so just spin it that way rather than admitting you were wrong.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:11

Turtleneck wrote:just spin it that way rather than admitting you were wrong.

aka the Nigel posting technique.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:17

aualum06 wrote:You guys way over value a conference title

We already know you're not the best if you don't win your own conference

Sure you can get hot, get healthy, etc...but with 4 teams it's dumb to eye test.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:32

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

My bad.

Well...they had their shot in last year's NC game and again in this year's SEC championship game...so just spin it that way rather than admitting you were wrong.

I’m wrong most of the time. Do we really want me popping back into every thread and admit it? That’s a lot of worthless reading.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:34

You were right about GreenWay being a blue.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 13:41

It's Oklahoma.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:10

Ucf finishes #8 lmao
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:14

aualum06 wrote:Ucf finishes #8 lmao

And if they win their bowl game will be able to claim a 2nd National Championship.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:16

LooseGoose wrote:

And if they win their bowl game will be able to claim a 2nd National Championship.

Subjective criteria is never good, which is why a committee is dumb
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:22

So even if crybabybaugh got his way with an expansion to 8 teams they'd still be out lol (Replaced by conference championship Washington). I'm sure he'd cry harder to expand to 12
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:25

I don't really care about any of this for the record. Just wanted you all to know.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:42

LooseGoose wrote:I think UCF should get in. 2 years undefeated.

I agree. Although last year they really would have made some noise. This year they are good but not as good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 14:54

Roc, do you cheer for Boise State or Idaho?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 15:39

Neither. But my wife went to Boise State for undergrad. I like the name Vandals!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 15:45

Rocinante wrote:Neither. But my wife went to Boise State for undergrad. I like the name Vandals!

Yeah, the name is cool, but that turf makes home games unwatchable. Turrible.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 15:50

You’re mixing up the two, greenway. Typical.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 15:58

Rocinante wrote:You’re mixing up the two, greenway. Typical.

Whatever. Boise St. home field is an embarrassment.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 16:02

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:You’re mixing up the two, greenway. Typical.

I’ve been to a game at the smurf turf, Greenway. It was pretty cool. It may be stupid but the whole country knows about it which is a pretty good marketing decision. The Vandals play in the Kibby Dome.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 16:07

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I’ve been to a game at the smurf turf, Greenway. It was pretty cool. It may be stupid but the whole country knows about it which is a pretty good marketing decision. The Vandals play in the Kibby Dome.

It’s spelled kibbeh, dumbass, or the Americanized kibbee. And it’s delicious.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 16:40

aualum06 wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:with 4 teams you should not be in the playoff if you don't win your conference

False
aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

This doesn’t make any sense. Either you like subjective criteria or you don’t.

CB is right. If you’re not the best in your conference then you’re not the best in the country. The only objective criteria we have is if you’re able to win your conference or not. Not doing so should be automatically disqualifying. Alabama’s win last year was a fraud. They had no business there.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 16:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

False
aualum06 wrote:

CB is right. If you’re not the best in your conference then you’re not the best in the country. The only objective criteria we have is if you’re able to win your conference or not. Not doing so should be automatically disqualifying. Alabama’s win last year was a fraud. They had no business there.

You don't think being undefeated would be an example of objective criteria?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 16:54

kingstonlake wrote:

You don't think being undefeated would be an example of objective criteria?
If you’re undefeated then I’m pretty sure you won your conference also Kingston (except for notre dame. We’re always making exceptions for notre dame. I do think we should stop doing that and say “win your conference or you’re not in the playoff and if you aren’t in a conference then tough titties” but that’s just me.) 

As for last year, yes I 100% believe that UCF should have been in over Alabama. Or literally any other conference champion who was more deserving.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 17:48

If you didn't win your conference, you shouldn't be in. Yeah, it might mean that they are not the 4 best teams in the country, but how often does a semifinal in any sport have the 4 best teams? Every sport has conferences/draws that end up more heavily weighted to one side.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:If you didn't win your conference, you shouldn't be in.  Yeah, it might mean that they are not the 4 best teams in the country, but how often does a semifinal in any sport have the 4 best teams?  Every sport has conferences/draws that end up more heavily weighted to one side.
This.....“best” is the ultimate subjective term when you think about it. No sport has ever figured out a way to determine who is “best”, because on some philosophical level it doesn’t really exist. One day this one is best the next day this other one is best. It’s always about who is “champion.” Champion is a different word because it means a different thing. Once a conference determines a “champion” it doesn’t matter who was best in that conference, it matters that after 3 months of conference play they’ve decided that one team is the representative of their conference for playoff consideration. Their champion
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:05

Both of these definitions of champion are exceedingly relevant, particularly #2. Neither mentions best. Every conference has had months to determine their champion, and they did so. Once that period is done, they don’t get to pick two champions to represent them. Just one. 

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   Be7ec310
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:If you didn't win your conference, you shouldn't be in.  Yeah, it might mean that they are not the 4 best teams in the country, but how often does a semifinal in any sport have the 4 best teams?  Every sport has conferences/draws that end up more heavily weighted to one side.
This.....“best” is the ultimate subjective term when you think about it. No sport has ever figured out a way to determine who is “best”, because on some philosophical level it doesn’t really exist. One day this one is best the next day this other one is best. It’s always about who is “champion.” Champion is a different word because it means a different thing. Once a conference determines a “champion” it doesn’t matter who was best in that conference, it matters that after 3 months of conference play they’ve decided that one team is the representative of their conference for playoff consideration. Their champion

You should be writing "explainers" for Vox, you're very good at this.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:12

LooseGoose wrote:

You should be writing "explainers" for Vox, you're very good at this.
Thank you goose. I just think the argument about who is best is extremely stupid and extremely irrelevant
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 18:53

Rocinante wrote:Neither. But my wife went to Boise State for undergrad. I like the name Vandals!

Sorry. I forgot you live in Nebraska and not Idaho.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 19:17

Oh boy, Travis is on his annual crusade again. I knew we should’ve inserted a Trigger Warning at the top of this thread.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 19:30

tGreenWay wrote:Oh boy, Travis is on his annual crusade again. I knew we should’ve inserted a Trigger Warning at the top of this thread.
The playoff arguments trigger the ever living shit out of me greenway. I will never stop.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next